The Roller Setting & Protective Styling Challenge!

hokimomi

Hi Ladies,

Just checking in. Been baggying my ends religiously, rocking my phony pony and I rollerset last night after my weekly co-wash.

I just have to say.....l am seriously ADDICTED to that Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol as a leave in while roller-setting. If you don't know, you better ask somebody! lol.....

Thanks to this board, I have cut back on my products and my rollerset is thriving. I simply use the 75/25 method of water/setting lotion and simply use the cholesterol as my secondary product. Roll, set, walk away. Loving my hair, but back in the pony it goes tomorrow! :)

ceebee3

Have any of you guys tried caruso rollers? I'm seriously considering buying them. hmmm

I have them, but I only used once. My curls were nice but my hair was dry looking. I know it's because I blew dry first and I didn't have a good blow dryer. My hair does not like blow drying. I'm sure it will be better if I use them on rollerset hair. I've seen some nice youtube vidoes of caruso sets and they look great.

I can't wait to try again but I don't have any time.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Have any of you guys tried caruso rollers? I'm seriously considering buying them. hmmm
I've read a few times that Vidal Sassoon steam rollers are way better than Caruso's. I wanna get some of those :yep:

LushLox

I have them, but I only used once. My curls were nice but my hair was dry looking. I know it's because I blew dry first and I didn't have a good blow dryer. My hair does not like blow drying. I'm sure it will be better if I use them on rollerset hair. I've seen some nice youtube vidoes of caruso sets and they look great.

I can't wait to try again but I don't have any time.

Hmm, I ask because it would be good to have something to maintain the curls on the second day of my roller set. Like you though, the time aspect may be an issue, and I already get up early as it is! :ohwell:

I've read a few times that Vidal Sassoon steam rollers are way better than Caruso's. I wanna get some of those :yep:

Yeah, I've been looking at the VS ones too; it would be much easier for me to go with these as I don't have to pay all the heavy shipping fees as I can pick a box up from here.

There's always just ONE more thing to buy isn't there! :look::lol:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Can I join, please with this challenge? I'll mainly be roller setting my hair in magnetic rollers. When do I have to post my main picture? This will be good for me because I plan on trying to stretch my relaxers to 2 times a year. If I can't hang, it will be every 4 months.:rolleyes: Right now, I only know how to do the mohawk method. I'll probably do this 2X a week. Wash days- Wednesday and Sunday. I will be using ORS products mostly because my hair loves them. I finally found the ORS pak conditioner. I love this deep conditioner. It makes my hair soft and shiny. Ladies, how do you use silicon mix? I will be going to NY in 3 weeks and I know the BS there has it. I will be looking to this thread and others so I can have healthy relaxed hair.

Last edited:

ceebee3

Hi DD,

Your hair looks very thick and healthy! You should send a PM to LivingDoll.

Looking forward to your posts.

Juliagizzle

Looking to get my roller setting supplies soon. Silly question. When your roller setting to straighten...do you have blow dry the edges in order for the hair at the top to be smooth. I'm a big newb when it comes to this.

ChcolatAquarius

Hey Ladies! ::sigh:: So I did a rollerset yesterday and maybe Im doing too much but it just came out all wrong. It doesn't help that I was at my aunts house so I was kinda all over the place and the rollers werent as tight as I wanted them to be. Im going to try to do another set later on this week.

I have been rockin a low bun for the past couple of weeks but my ends are just a mess because of it so Im trying to find another protective style. I almost gave up last night ladies.....ALMOST. :nono: Im gonna try to stick with this roller setting business and see if I can get used to it.

Until next time....... Have a good week and happy rollersetting!

BeautifulFlower

You can blow dry with a round brush, flat iron, or do the saran wrap treatment.

Looking to get my roller setting supplies soon. Silly question. When your roller setting to straighten...do you have blow dry the edges in order for the hair at the top to be smooth. I'm a big newb when it comes to this.

BeautifulFlower

Hey Ladies! ::sigh:: So I did a rollerset yesterday and maybe Im doing too much but it just came out all wrong. It doesn't help that I was at my aunts house so I was kinda all over the place and the rollers werent as tight as I wanted them to be. Im going to try to do another set later on this week.

I have been rockin a low bun for the past couple of weeks but my ends are just a mess because of it so Im trying to find another protective style. I almost gave up last night ladies.....ALMOST. :nono: Im gonna try to stick with this roller setting business and see if I can get used to it.

What about wearing a french braid?
I find that when I bun alot my ends look terrible unless I cowash daily or moisturize religiously.

pookaloo83

I was thinking this the other day. If i wear a bun everyday will my ends suffer? I really don't know of any other protective style. Rollersets touch my shirt still.

BeautifulFlower

So I went on a "date" this weekend and I decided to wear a curly rollerset. This is the first rollerset I have done since my relaxer last week. My hair is now laying over my brastrap YAY! Anyway, my last rollerset dried pretty fast last time. But this time there were wet ends on some of the back rollers. I guess I hit the stage where my hair is going to take longer to dry because there is alot more levels of hair on the roller. Or maybe I should use more rollers. I dont know. Anyway, this is how to came out. I have the other side pin'd up but I deleted that pic, i dont know why. Excuse my posing I was trying to impress him hehehe.

Notice my back ends are limp because it was a little damp and I had to flat iron dry GRRRRRRR....

Last edited:

LivingDol1

you must try and try again! :) don't lose hope yet! let us know how it goes next time.

LivingDol1

gorgeous! is this what you wore to the kennedy center? (i saw your fashion posting) go you! strike a pose! :grin:

i think using more rollers or bigger rollers would do the trick. less hair, less layers to dry through.

So I went on a "date" this weekend and I decided to wear a curly rollerset. This is the first rollerset I have done since my relaxer last week. My hair is now laying over my brastrap YAY! Anyway, my last rollerset dried pretty fast last time. But this time there were wet ends on some of the back rollers. I guess I hit the stage where my hair is going to take longer to dry because there is alot more levels of hair on the roller. Or maybe I should use more rollers. I dont know. Anyway, this is how to came out. I have the other side pin'd up but I deleted that pic, i dont know why. Excuse my posing I was trying to impress him hehehe.

Notice my back ends are limp because it was a little damp and I had to flat iron dry GRRRRRRR....

LivingDol1

Can I get in this challenge as well? I've been roller setting for years.

okay okay!

i'll accept late comers up until may 15th since final reveal photos should be posted by november 15th. 4 more days! don't forget to post your questionnaire answers or just email them to me so i can add them to the first page. thanks. :)

tiffers

You can try blowing out your edges with the blowdryer on cool heat :yep:

LivingDol1

I was thinking this the other day. If i wear a bun everyday will my ends suffer? I really don't know of any other protective style. Rollersets touch my shirt still.

i think it's important to change up where you place your bun. like, high, low, to the side, etc. and also, you don't have to make a standard bun. i try to avoid using hair elastics whenever i can and use bobby pins to keep my hair in place, and ends tucked under.

SmartyPants

A Tip on using the anchor method:

When using the anchor method, only clip two rollers together instead of clipping all of the rollers together this will help you dry faster. And, clipping two rollers together will keep both rollers in. If you are planning to sleep in the rollers afterwards, you can always clip all of the rollers right before you go to bed.

BeautifulFlower

gorgeous! is this what you wore to the kennedy center? (i saw your fashion posting) go you! strike a pose! :grin:

i think using more rollers or bigger rollers would do the trick. less hair, less layers to dry through.

Oh yeah. Shear Madness was hilarious too. You were right. That gay guy was the show lol. Yes this is what I wore. Everyone suggestion helped. I thought it I wore a dress I would over do it but I fit right in. I have gray rollers so I start using those again. I like the curliness of the magenta rollers but it takes too long to dry now. Anyway, Thanks....

tiffers

What products are you using? Maybe try switching it up. Do you use slide-in clips? They're soooo much easier to use than regular clips because they slide all the way into the roller and grip better than regular clips. You can also try mesh rollers, I can get them tighter on my roots because of the kind of rubber-ish texture. They kinda stick to your hair more than slippery magnetics.

I've been bunning since I joined and never had a problem with my edges. When you have your hair in a bun or pony, you should be able to comfortably move your head in all directions. If you feel ANY tugging, loosen up the ponytail holder until the tugging and pulling subsides. HTH! :D

tiffers

Alrighty, so I rollerset today with Fermodyl 619, Beauty Without Cruelty Leave-In and CHI SI.

My hair is so light and soft. I truly believe that Porosity Control and Fermodyl have to take all of the credit for my uber soft hair lately :love2:

Anywho, this is my protective style for the day :)

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Thank you for letting me join. I will be mostly be doing roller sets mohawk style. Right now, I just wash with ORS aloe and use the ORS mayo. When I want a deep condition, I use the ORS K Pak. I am sticking with the products because they work for me. However, hearining about Silicon mix and lacio lacio has me itching to try something different.:rolleyes: I basically wrap after my roller set. I hope that won't get me in trouble in this challenge.

Itllbeokbaby

oh my goggle!...tiffers! that is the most beautiful bun/twist i've ever seen. in neeeeeed the exact instructions with the necessary tools....if you do not reply here, i might pm you :look:. TIA :lachen:

BeautifulFlower

Infinity bun...I love it. How did you twist it up?
Aint porosity control the bomb...I use it with my Aphogee 2min...silky hair everytime.
Alrighty, so I rollerset today with Fermodyl 619, Beauty Without Cruelty Leave-In and CHI SI.

My hair is so light and soft. I truly believe that Porosity Control and Fermodyl have to take all of the credit for my uber soft hair lately :love2:

Anywho, this is my protective style for the day :)

LivingDol1

i'm going to do a roller set tonight... :) i haven't washed my hair since friday when i got it done. my stylist used mizani on my hair for a DC, which he said would also help to prevent frizz... and i was frizz free in the heavy humidity. i believe it was moisture fuse silk cream conditioner. i will have to add that to my shopping list.

in the mean time, trying to rock some cute protective styles on this dirty hair. lol. i bought some hair toys (more presents for myself... what can i say...) on friday. i got a rose gold skinny headband from j crew (on sale), and rhinestone bobby pins from anthropologie. i also got this rose hair pin. i couldn't find pics of the others online.

from anthropologie. rosy posy hair pin.

HollyGolightly1982

I'm sitting under the dryer now. I am so tired but I want to finish drying my hair and wrap it for tomorrow.

I am using the ponytail method.