The Roller Setting & Protective Styling Challenge!

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
oh my goggle!...tiffers! that is the most beautiful bun/twist i've ever seen. in neeeeeed the exact instructions with the necessary tools....if you do not reply here, i might pm you :look:. TIA :lachen:
:giggle:

Thanks girl!!!!! I'm gonna do a picture tutorial on either Friday or Saturday because it would be difficult for me to just explain with words :D

tiffers

i'm going to do a roller set tonight... :) i haven't washed my hair since friday when i got it done. my stylist used mizani on my hair for a DC, which he said would also help to prevent frizz... and i was frizz free in the heavy humidity. i believe it was moisture fuse silk cream conditioner. i will have to add that to my shopping list.
in the mean time, trying to rock some cute protective styles on this dirty hair. lol. i bought some hair toys (more presents for myself... what can i say...) on friday. i got a rose gold skinny headband from j crew (on sale), and rhinestone bobby pins from anthropologie. i also got this rose hair pin. i couldn't find pics of the others online.
from anthropologie. rosy posy hair pin.
That's a cute pin! I'm starting to really get into hair toys since this challenge started! :)

leona2025

I'm going to quit! I am so sick of hair. I have tried to roller set 3 times this week and let me tell you I have seen more breakage doing this then when I airdry and flat iron. My hair is pissed. I'm thinking of just given up and going to get a rollerset done. I'm going to try one more time tonight.

The problems:
If my sets aren't crunchy then they are still wet. My curls came out really pretty in the front and then they were soaking wet in the back (because I rollerset each roller in the front and tried to do the ponytail method in the back:nono:) What products do you use to rollerset with? I used ORS wrapping lotion. I used 1oz setting lotion to 4oz water. Still crunchy.

What size roller do you do use when you want a straight set? I used my big 2 inch rollers and I still had big fat spirals. On the other hand I was able to do my first real wrap. I was so excited I couldn't wait to take it down this morning. My wrap look a HAM. I have it in a bunned up ponytail. I hate my hair. I hate it. I hate. I hate it!

Itllbeokbaby

I'm going to quit! I am so sick of hair. I have tried to roller set 3 times this week and let me tell you I have seen more breakage doing this then when I airdry and flat iron. My hair is pissed. I'm thinking of just given up and going to get a rollerset done. I'm going to try one more time tonight.

The problems:
If my sets aren't crunchy then they are still wet. My curls came out really pretty in the front and then they were soaking wet in the back (because I rollerset each roller in the front and tried to do the ponytail method in the back:nono:) What products do you use to rollerset with? I used ORS wrapping lotion. I used 1oz setting lotion to 4oz water. Still crunchy.

What size roller do you do use when you want a straight set? I used my big 2 inch rollers and I still had big fat spirals. On the other hand I was able to do my first real wrap. I was so excited I couldn't wait to take it down this morning. My wrap look a HAM. I have it in a bunned up ponytail. I hate my hair. I hate it. I hate. I hate it!

i might quit too...it takes a long time; or maybe i'm impatient :perplexed. i usually air dry and bun/pony/braid. i haven't decided yet...sigh.

ChcolatAquarius

What products are you using? Maybe try switching it up. Do you use slide-in clips? They're soooo much easier to use than regular clips because they slide all the way into the roller and grip better than regular clips. You can also try mesh rollers, I can get them tighter on my roots because of the kind of rubber-ish texture. They kinda stick to your hair more than slippery magnetics.

I've been bunning since I joined and never had a problem with my edges. When you have your hair in a bun or pony, you should be able to comfortably move your head in all directions. If you feel ANY tugging, loosen up the ponytail holder until the tugging and pulling subsides. HTH! :D

I think one of my issues might be using too much product. Right now after I was I spray Aphogee Pro Vitamin Leave-in with the Green Tea Reconstructor and then I put in some Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum. I also put in NTM Silk Touch and in my water bottle I mix cream of nature leave in and water. And I spray Hydratherma Naturals Follicle Invigorator spray to my roots.

I think I need to start using the 2 minute Aphogee reconstructor again because idk my hair just doesnt feel right after this last roller set. my hair seems like it is snapping.

I also used some product.....I cant remember the name of it but my aunt had it and her house and I just tried it out. But it was burning so maybe my hair wasnt too happy with that.

I've been putting of doing another roller set because Im going through some withdrawl issues because I havent used my curling iron, flat iron, or blowdrier in a few weeks now and Im used to my hair doing what I want it to do when I use those products. ::sigh:: Maybe I will face my fears and do a rollerset today. :whyme:

Thanks for the tips!

tiffers

The problems:
Don't give up! Rollersetting takes a while to get used to. I don't know HOW many sets I went through before they started coming out even decent :ohwell:

I think you should drop the setting lotion. Just use a leave in and a serum. Less is more with rollersetting, so don't use huge globs of product :giggle:

You also need to sit under the dryer longer, so the bottom rollers will dry. The longer your hair, the longer it takes to dry (unless you have HUGE rollers) Do you pin your rollers together? Have you tried mesh rollers? They dry much faster than magnetics

tiffers

i might quit too...it takes a long time; or maybe i'm impatient :perplexed. i usually air dry and bun/pony/braid. i haven't decided yet...sigh.
If you usually bun it up and forget it, rollersetting will definitely take some getting used to. It takes lots of patience, but the end result (swangin, soft, moisturized, smooth hair) are worth it!

Keep at it, once you get the hang of rolleretting, you'll fall in love :infatuated:

tiffers

I think one of my issues might be using too much product. Right now after I was I spray Aphogee Pro Vitamin Leave-in with the Green Tea Reconstructor and then I put in some Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum. I also put in NTM Silk Touch and in my water bottle I mix cream of nature leave in and water. And I spray Hydratherma Naturals Follicle Invigorator spray to my roots.
I think I need to start using the 2 minute Aphogee reconstructor again because idk my hair just doesnt feel right after this last roller set. my hair seems like it is snapping.
I also used some product.....I cant remember the name of it but my aunt had it and her house and I just tried it out. But it was burning so maybe my hair wasnt too happy with that.
I've been putting of doing another roller set because Im going through some withdrawl issues because I havent used my curling iron, flat iron, or blowdrier in a few weeks now and Im used to my hair doing what I want it to do when I use those products. ::sigh:: Maybe I will face my fears and do a rollerset today. :whyme:
Thanks for the tips!
You're welcome :)

I think that may be too much product. Try sticking to one leave in and one serum. If you put a leave in on your hair, don't put some in the water bottle as well. Is your hair snapping without stretching first?

ChcolatAquarius

You're welcome :)

I think that may be too much product. Try sticking to one leave in and one serum. If you put a leave in on your hair, don't put some in the water bottle as well. Is your hair snapping without stretching first?

I am still new to all of this stuff. When you say snapping before stretching what exactly do you mean?

LivingDol1

boo @ quitting! of course, if it's not for you, it's not for you... but, making it work is all about trial and error, ladies. :yep:

it took me a solid hour to set my rollers last night. and i put off doing it for 6 days after my last wash b/c i didn't want to do 2 roller sets on week nights. sundays and wednesdays are roller set days and that's it!! i have a life to live, still.

tiffers is right about product usage. you can't be too heavy handed with it and water is essential.

and for anyone who feels like they've had breakage, try not to roll the rollers too tight. get your ends smooth on the roller, but don't worry as much about the roots. remember, you can flat iron your roots if need be.

LivingDol1

I am still new to all of this stuff. When you say snapping before stretching what exactly do you mean?

trying to gauge your moisture/protein balance. i believe if the hair stretches a lot before snapping, you may need more protein. if you hair just snaps without stretching, you need more moisture.

there are plenty of other threads that discuss moisture/protein balance.

ceebee3

Ladies,

Please don't give up. YOU CAN DO IT! Please believe me if I can, you can. I spent most of my life throwing my hair in a ponytail and I don't know how to do anything. I decided this year would be the year that I take control and learn how to do my own hair. I never used a flat iron, hot comb, curling iron anything before. Rollersetting has been a personal challenge of mine since January.
have done it faithfully every week and every week it gets better.

I will try to post the youtube links that I used. I sit right in front of my laptop and roll my hair as I'm watching the ladies on youtube. I do it at the same time.

It took me a really long time at first. I cried the first time because I didn't realize how hard it was. I was up to 3 in the morning bawling like a baby.

I am so happy I stuck with it, my hair is thanking me and so is my wallet. It still takes me like an hour, but i'm doing it. My goal is 25 minutes and I know I will get there eventually.

You can do it!

LushLox

I would echo the other ladies; try and persist. The benefits of rollersetting are so fantastic.

Trust me, you will get better. :yep: I can do my whole head in 20/25 minutes now.

tiffers

I'm sitting under the dryer now. Rollerset with Fermodyl 233, Healthy Sexy Hair Pumpkin Enzyme Therapy Mist and Silken Child Serum

My hair didn't feel too hot while rolling, but I'm pretty sure that's because I didn't use a bunch of cone laden products. I think (hope) that when my hair dries, it'll be very soft and moisturized

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
i did a rollerset today and it turned out great, just like last time. i'm definitely sticking with this until i start wearing extensions. these rollersets make my hair so soft and light. its much easier to manage my new growth too. i'm glad i found a way to wear my hair straight without having to flatiron my ends.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
cburney, it took me an hour this time too, but it was worth it. my hair looks and feels great. much better than when i flatiron my entire head.

ceebee3

cburney, it took me an hour this time too, but it was worth it. my hair looks and feels great. much better than when i flatiron my entire head.

Yes, I'm so envious of all of you who can do it in 25 minutes. That hour it takes me is definetly time well spent though.

LushLox

^^^ To be honest in order to do it under 25 minutes I have to be uber focused, no TV on or anything - then I can do it really quickly. It normally takes me 25 minutes though. :)

Just tried those steam rollers - they are lovely! Curls very well. So they will be ideal to maintain my hair in between rollersets!

LushLox

Did a great rollerset this morning (in 20 minutes ;)). The rollers were taut and I got some very well defined curls. I wrapped it and got great bounce and volume.

I went out for lunch with my mum today and she said my hair looked so thick it looked like it could be a wig. :D Which is good considering my hair is fine as anything! :lol:

Ivypearl08

I just did my rollerset yesterday using a leave-in and it turned out to be mushy. I think it's because I used too much moisture in it. I'm used to doing rollersets but not with a leave-in conditioner so I think I just "over moisturized" my hair. But THEN I woke up this morning after wrapping my hair up in my satin scarf and it's fine. Go figure! My hair must have been thirsty so I think it just drunk up all the moisture! I swear I'll never understand Her! LOL!!!!

LivingDol1

^^^ To be honest in order to do it under 25 minutes I have to be uber focused, no TV on or anything - then I can do it really quickly. It normally takes me 25 minutes though. :)

Just tried those steam rollers - they are lovely! Curls very well. So they will be ideal to maintain my hair in between rollersets!

yeah... no TV would be ideal... i can't lie. I was watching 90210 while roller setting my hair...:look:

i also don't like getting shed hairs wrapped up into my roller as i roll. so i have this habit of making sure i get the hair off of the comb in mid roll... if i didn't care so much, my set would probably be done faster.

LivingDol1

Did a great rollerset this morning (in 20 minutes ;)). The rollers were taut and I got some very well defined curls. I wrapped it and got great bounce and volume.

I went out for lunch with my mum today and she said my hair looked so thick it looked like it could be a wig. :D Which is good considering my hair is fine as anything! :lol:

nice! it's great when other people notice a change in your hair because it further validates your progress. :)

leona2025

Ok so this full head rollerset is not working for me. I'm going back to my easy ponytail rollersets. I can do do those well. Has anyone did a ponytail rollerset and then wrapped for straight hair?

LushLox

yeah... no TV would be ideal... i can't lie. I was watching 90210 while roller setting my hair...:look:

i also don't like getting shed hairs wrapped up into my roller as i roll. so i have this habit of making sure i get the hair off of the comb in mid roll... if i didn't care so much, my set would probably be done faster.

I know what you mean. I am very very careful when roller setting. I have to treat my hair like fine silk, this way I hardly end up with any loss of hair.

hokimomi

Hi Ladies,

Just checking in, rollerset today with 80/20 mixture of water/setting lotion. I just did the old regular rollerset, I found the ponytail method last week takes me longer to do. Does this happen to anyone else?!?!

Also, can someone please explain the reason behind rolling papers? Does it help dry faster or something? TIA!

Happy Hair Setting/Growing!

tiffers

I was supposed to wash and set today, but I'm sleepy and lazy. Sigh.

tiffers

Hi Ladies,
Just checking in, rollerset today with 80/20 mixture of water/setting lotion. I just did the old regular rollerset, I found the ponytail method last week takes me longer to do. Does this happen to anyone else?!?!
Also, can someone please explain the reason behind rolling papers? Does it help dry faster or something? TIA!
Happy Hair Setting/Growing!
It takes me forever to ponytail rollerset. Plus I don't like the deep indentions it leaves in my hair and the longer drying time. I just don't like it :ohwell:

Rolling papers are used to keep your ends from drying out. I don't think it's necessary with magnetics because they're already slick