This is a Serious Thread: Hurt People, Hurt People

Nice & Wavy

There was a person who lost their life today at World Changers International Church, which happens to be the church that Creflo Dollar is the Pastor of.

My heart goes out to the family. This is terrible. This person was going to this church for 20 years and was on the praise team. :nono:

People come from the world, get saved, go to church and still deal with issues. My prayer is that people get healed...this is crazy.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/man-shot-at-creflo-dollars-world-changers-church/nSmdp/

Suspect named in fatal shooting at World Changers Church

Fulton County police
Police have a suspect, identified as Floyd Palmer, 52.

By Fran Jeffries
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Police have released the name of a suspect in the fatal shooting of a man Wednesday morning at World Changers Church International in College Park.

Floyd Palmer, 52, is wanted in connection with the fatal shooting in the church’s chapel, according to Fulton County police Cpl. Kay Lester. He is considered armed and dangerous, Lester said.

Lester said Palmer, a former member of the church, “walked calmly into the church and left just as calmly,” after the shooting. Police have not identified the victim who was shot around 10:30 a.m. and later died. Channel 2 said the victim was a member of the church’s production crew and a facilities maintenance manager at the church.

Creflo Dollar is the pastor of the megachurch. He was not at the church at the time of the shooting, according to Lester.

Police are looking for a suspect who left the scene of the church, which is located at 2500 Burdett Road. Police are looking for a black Subaru in connection with the shooting, which reportedly occurred in the chapel where the church hosts a Bible study every Wednesday. Karen Webb, who had taken her mother to the church for Bible study, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that she was told the victim was shot six times.
“I brought my mother up here to go to church — every Wednesday she attends Bible study. As soon as we get here I’m told someone has been shot,” Webb said. “He was one of the praise leaders.” Webb said she was told the shooter was a 20-year member of the church.

Antonio Wills, a former member who lives near the church, said the incident sends “a shock wave through the city.” Wills said his thoughts were on the man who was killed.“Hopefully everybody will pray for the family,” he said.

Fulton County Police asked the school district to lock down Bethune Elementary School and McNair Middle, according to schools spokeswoman Susan Hale. She said the lockdown was lifted around 11 a.m. There was no disruption to the schools or testing, she told Channel 2.

Dollar started World Changers Ministries in 1986 with eight members, holding services in the cafeteria of a local elementary school, according to the church’s website. Its campus now occupies 81 acres, with services held in the 8,500-seat World Dome. Dollar is a regular on the Trinity Broadcasting Network.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Oh Dear Lord...

Sis, I'll be back later to share; I wanted to acknowledge. In the meantime, thank you for sharing this sensitive post. I respect the seriousness of it.

Love... :love2:

pebbles

Oh Lord, why so much pain and sadness? :cry4: Sometimes it's almost too much. But GOD is still good. May HIS NAME be praised!

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
This is so sad to read, may God comfort this man's family and the church family as a whole.

Nice & Wavy

Thank you ladies...I knew you would understand why I posted this thread.

It breaks my heart to hear about this. I'm in church ALOT and you just never know when someone wants to shoot it up. I'm grateful to God for His protection over me and dh and my church family.

:cry:

I have to get off for awhile...I am too sad over this.

Iwanthealthyhair67

From a sandrarose commenter:

Quote:
I just found out from my sister that the person who did the shooting at C.A. Dollars church is Minister Palmer. He was a founding member there. Don’t know why it happened but he came into the old chapel during corporate prayer. The minister that was shot was in the pulpit conducting with his eyes closed and never saw the shot coming… so sad.

*UPDATED* Shooting Suspect Was Former Minister at Creflo Dollar’s World Changers Church : Sandra Rose

Shimmie

Staff member
This grieves my heart. This dear man shot for no reason and the heartache that his family and other loved ones must endure.

In the name of Jesus' the devil must leave the members' lives of the Church alone. He's done too much damage trying to take folks out. I don't care what his strategies and methods are, they are rendered null and void in the name of Jesus.

satan's strategy is to get folks so scared that they'll stop going to Church and end up staying home and rely on TV Ministries. That's not God. This shooting is not of God. I pray that we allow God to lead us and admonish our Pastors to take all necessary precautions for security.

I'm sitting thinking that the shooter may end up committing suicide (as did Judas). This is the pattern of most crimes such as this. I pray that he doesn't as it will not resolve the issue nor bring closure to the hurting hearts of this tragedy.

To each of you...

Not a hair on your head shall perish. The angels of the Lord are encamped around, above and beneath, in front and in back of each of you and your loved ones, in the Name of Jesus and these are NOT empty, redundant words, they are not cliche'... it's the Word of God which SHALL not return unto Him void, for He is watching over His Word and watching over each of you, to protect you. Praise God.

I thank God for the right timing of your footsteps. You will be at the right place at the right time, never too early, never late. But at the appointed time with the saving Grace of God all around you. The angels' wings surround you, tip to tip, with no gaps in between; the enemy cannot get in; he shall have no place. No matter where you are or where you have to be, The Lord Your God is protecting you and keeping you in all your ways.

In Jesus' Name... Amen.

Enough is Enough!

pebbles

To each of you...

Not a hair on your head shall perish. The angels of the Lord are encamped around, above and beneath, in front and in back of each of you and your loved ones, in the Name of Jesus and these are NOT empty, redundant words, they are not cliche'... it's the Word of God which SHALL not return unto Him void, for He is watching over His Word and watching over each of you, to protect you. Praise God.

I thank God for the right timing of your footsteps. You will be at the right place at the right time, never too early, never late. But at the appointed time with the saving Grace of God all around you. The angels' wings surround you, tip to tip, with no gaps in between; the enemy cannot get in; he shall have no place. No matter where you are or where you have to be, The Lord Your God is protecting you and keeping you in all your ways.

In Jesus' Name... Amen.

Enough is Enough!

Hallelujah!! I touch and agree in the spirit! Enough Is Enough! :yep:

Thank-you, Jesus!!

Shimmie

Staff member
Thank you ladies...I knew you would understand why I posted this thread.

It breaks my heart to hear about this. I'm in church ALOT and you just never know when someone wants to shoot it up. I'm grateful to God for His protection over me and dh and my church family.

:cry:

I have to get off for awhile...I am too sad over this.

:bighug: :love3: :bighug:

Shimmie

Staff member
Update: The man has been apprehended:

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/19904456/church-shooting-suspect-floyd-palmer?clienttype=printable

FULTON COUNTY, Ga. -

Police have arrested the suspect in a deadly shooting at a south Fulton County megachurch. FOX 5's Julia Reynolds reports that Atlanta Police officers arrested Floyd Palmer, 52, at Lenox Square in Buckhead just before 4 p.m.

Palmer is accused of a shooting and killing 39-year-old Gregory McDowell as he was leading services at World Changers International Church on Wednesday morning. Fulton County Police Cpl. Kay Lester said Palmer walked into the chapel and started firing shots. McDowell was the only person hurt. McDowell was transported to a local hospital, where he later died.
Police say Palmer is a former church maintenance man who resigned from his position earlier this year.

Lester said Palmer calmly left the scene after the shooting, possibly in a black 2000-2003 model Subaru station wagon with black tinted windows and dark black tires.

Authorities later tracked down Palmer at a Macy's in the Lenox Square mall after an Atlanta Police officer spotted the vehicle in the parking lot. He was taken into custody without incident, police said.

Officers transported Palmer to the Fulton County Major Case division, where he will be questioned and booked in the shooting.

The Associated Press reports that in 2001, Palmer was charged with attempted murder, assault and handgun charges in Baltimore.

Palmer was committed to a psychiatric hospital in 2004 after pleading not criminally responsible to lesser charges, the AP reports. He was released the following year, according to court records.

Police do not know if McDowell was targeted, and there's no word on any relationship between Palmer and the victim.

The megachurch in south Fulton County is pastored by the Rev. Creflo Dollar. According to its website, it has more than 30,000 members. Dollar was not present when the shooting occurred.

-------------------------------

Why? As much as I know better than to ask, yet I still ask, "Why"?

A man standing in worship and prayer before the Lord and a devil walks in and takes his life.

Jesus... The Blood of Jesus, still prevails over us all.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
There was no beef between the two men... To go into a church and calmly shoot at someone praying, and calmly walk out and go have coffee at the mall, with no remorse... says a lot about the state of someone's soul. Lord have mercy... We never know what goes on in the hearts of hurt people...

This young man was praying, with his eyes closed, when he was shot. He represented the church to that angry man. Trust God, always... I always believe nothing happens that God won't allow. He knows the reason. Trust God !

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member
There was no beef between the two men... To go into a church and calmly shoot at someone praying, and calmly walk out and go have coffee at the mall, with no remorse... says a lot about the state of someone's soul. Lord have mercy... We never know what goes on in the hearts of hurt people...

This young man was praying, with his eyes closed, when he was shot. He represented the church to that angry man.

Trust God, always... I always believe nothing happens that God won't allow. He knows the reason. Trust God !

At the bolded...

This is how satan feels about prayer and the Church.

However this man of God who was 'wounded' in his flesh, but not in his spirit, was another Stephen, who while he was in prayer and worship, looked up and saw the Glory of God in the Heavens.

The enemy is out to invoke fear in the Body of Worshippers, but he will not prevail, as the Church will only worship God all the more.

This is another attack against Creflo Dollar's ministry.

This is also a call to the Church to put on our armour and continue in our faith all the more, for Jesus will not be defeated. devils are commanded to run from us, not us from them; and they will indeed retreat in the name of Jesus.

Blackpearl1993

@ Shimmie & @ Laela...

Ladies, your words are wise and timely. This news deeply saddens me and I was thinking about how this is a second attack on this Creflo Dollar's ministry, but we cannot let this change our plan of action. We must pray even harder and attend our churches even more fervently. Satan wants us to stay home in fear on the Sabbath.

Shimmie, thank you for the prayer for everyone's safety and the protection from God and His angels. God's word will not return to him void. I touch and agree for the safety of everyone and every House of God.

Successfulmiss

I went before the Lord in prayer last night and this morning. Please correct me if I'm wrong but the Lord brought it to my remembrance the story of Stephen and how he was stoned to death during a prayer:

Martyrdom of Stephen:
Such arguing and directness as Stephen's could have but one result. Prejudiced and enraged as they were, the unanswerable arguments of Stephen, based on their own Scriptures, made them mad with fury, and doubtless through their demonstrations they stopped the speech. But Stephen, ansported with enthusiasm and inspiration, was vouchsafed a vision of the "glory of God," which he had mentioned in the beginning of his speech (Acts 7:2), and of Jesus, whose cause he had so gallantly defended (Acts 7:55). Stephen standing there, his gaze piercing into heaven, while time and human limitations seemed effaced for him, marks one of the most historic moments in the history of Israel, as his words constitute the most memorable testimony ever uttered in behalf of Christ: "Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man"--the only place where this title is uttered by any other person than Jesus--"standing on the right hand of God" (Acts 7:56). Now the audience could restrain its rage no longer, and the catastrophe followed immediately. Contrary to Roman law and order they took Stephen, and without awaiting sentence against him, amid a tumultuous scene, stoned him to death, the punishment prescribed in Mosaic Law for a blasphemer (Dt 17:7; Lev 24:14-16). This recourse to lynch law may have been connived at by the Roman authorities, since the act was without political significance. It is noteworthy, however, that the Jewish legal forms were observed, as if to give to the violence the appearance of legality. Accordingly, Stephen was taken outside the city (Lev 24:14; compare Lk 4:29); the witnesses threw the first stone at him (compare Dt 17:7) after taking off their upper garments and laying them at the feet of a "young man named Saul" (Acts 7:58)--afterward Paul, now about 30 years old--who evidently had charge of the whole proceedings.

http://www.bible-history.com/isbe/S/STEPHEN/

:nono:While this story is truly sad and I am deeply grieved, this story gave me comfort. It also reminded me that God is always with us and that He is still on the throne, that He is still faithful. That man that passed on was truly a great man of God and he passed with honor, dignity and in a spirit of martyrdom. I feel he passed on because of his faith in Christ after rereading this bible story. I pray for God's continued protection, provision and Balm of Gilead to cover all of the Body of Christ. Especially Pastor Creflo. He has had a trying year. God bless you all.

MrsHaseeb

I truly have no words, this is sad. I will remember to cover all the believers everywhere in prayer today.

Sent from my 4G HTC Thunderbolt using LHCF

Successfulmiss

@Laela

God bless you! Although it is a tragedy, thank God for His word that comforts us and helps us to see that His plans for us are of good and not evil.

I praise you Lord God for an outpouring of Your spirit like never before and I thank you Lord God for a revival in the land! I praise you Lord that people will not retreat from church and "worship at home"(which we should do anyway and go to church). But I thank You Father that You will indeed pour out Your spirit on all flesh in Jesus name! We thank you Lord for Your word that says forsake NOT the assembling of ourselves(believers) together and we thank You Lord God that your word does not and will not come back void but that it will set out to do ALL that you have written into the universe and into the very fabric of time to accomplish! Lord God I thank you that what the enemy has tried to make for evil that You Father God in Heaven will turn it around for he God of those that love the Lord and are called according to Your divine purpose in Jesus name! We praise you for victory and an outpouring of Your Spirit like never before in these ends times!:yep: In Jesus name we thank You and we also thank you that You said the gates of Hades will not prevail against Your church! We stand united with the family of the victim and WCH because we are all one body. We even pray for the shooters family in Jesus name and that You mighty God would have mercy! We count it all done and we rejoice in true victory through Christ. In jesus name AMEN&AMEN!

Last edited:

Nice & Wavy

Thank you for the love, Shimmie. I needed it yesterday as I was feeling really bad about what happened to that minister.

@Laela

God bless you! Although it is a tragedy, thank God for His word that comforts us and helps us to see that His plans for us are of good and not evil.

I praise you Lord God for an outpouring of Your spirit like never before and I thank you Lord God for a revival in the land! I praise you Lord that people will not retreat from church and "worship at home"(which we should do anyway and go to church). But I thank You Father that You will indeed pour out Your spirit on all flesh in Jesus name! We thank you Lord for Your word that says forsake NOT the assembling of ourselves(believers) together and we thank You Lord God that your word does not and will not come back void but that it will set out to do ALL that you have written into the universe and into the very fabric of time to accomplish! Lord God I thank you that what the enemy has tried to make for evil that You Father God in Heaven will turn it around for he God of those that love the Lord and are called according to Your divine purpose in Jesus name! We praise you for victory and an outpouring of Your Spirit like never before in these ends times!:yep: In Jesus name we thank You and we also thank you that You said the gates of Hades will not prevail against Your church! We stand united with the family of the victim and WCH because we are all one body. We even pray for the shooters family in Jesus name and that You mighty God would have mercy! We count it all done and we rejoice in true victory through Christ. In jesus name AMEN&AMEN!
Thank you for this prayer, sis! God bless you!

SummerSolstice

I want an explanation. I don't understand :nono:
And I think its time Creflo stepped down. There is something VERY wrong going on in that church. I don't care how large it is, there is a spirit there that does not belong.

Iwanthealthyhair67

Update:!!!

Posted: 8:32 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 24, 2012

John Spink, [email protected]
Clayton County police officers, P. Malautea and J. Williams (right) monitor the apartment of murder suspect, Floyd Palmer Thursday, Oct. 25, 2012 at The Reserve at Garden Lake apartments in Riverdale after police searched the premises overnight.
View Larger

John Spink, [email protected]
Residents leave the apartment building at The Reserve at Garden Lake apartments in Riverdale where police monitored the apartment of murder suspect, Floyd Palmer, 52, after searching the premises Thursday, Oct. 25, 2012.
View Larger

Fulton County Sheriff's Office
Police say Floyd Palmer, 52, walked into a prayer service Oct. 24, 2012, at the College Park megachurch founded by the Rev. Creflo Dollar and opened fire, killing Greg McDowell, 39.

Arrest made in shooting at Creflo Dollar's megachurchSponsored LinksBy Fran Jeffries

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The suspect in a fatal shooting at World Changers Church International waived his first court appearance Thursday.

Floyd Palmer, 52, had been scheduled to appear in magistrate court at 11 a.m. at the Fulton County jail to hear the charges against him and make a formal request for bond, but he declined to appear.

Meanwhile, police worked into the early morning hours Thursday, combing through Palmer’s apartment in Clayton County.

Palmer was arrested Wednesday afternoon and charged with the fatal shooting of 39-year-old Greg McDowell at the College Park church founded by televangelist Creflo Dollar. It was the second time Palmer had been charged with shooting a man in a church; he pleaded guilty to shooting a man a decade ago in Baltimore and was committed to a mental health facility there.

Police searched Palmer’s apartment at the Reserve at Garden Lake apartment complex in Riverdale Wednesday night and Thursday morning. They removed several items from the apartment, but it was not immediately clear what they took out.

Resident Hoover Sirmans told the Journal-Constitution he arrived home from his job as an EMT in Coweta County around 11 p.m. Wednesday to find the complex locked down by police. He said he went to a resident’s house to sleep and was able to go back home Thursday morning.

Sirmans said he knew Palmer only slightly, “just a hey-how-ya-doing basis … He seemed like a regular old guy.”

When he found out Palmer had been arrested in connection with the shooting, he said, “‘Wow’ is the only word I could say.”

Palmer calmly walked into a prayer service Wednesday morning and opened fire as 20 to 25 people watched in horror. McDowell fell mortally wounded and Palmer, a former church employee, “left just as calmly” as he entered, Fulton County police spokeswoman Cpl. Kay Lester said.

The suspect left in a black Subaru station wagon and was in the vortex of a massive police search until he was arrested without incident at Lenox Square in Buckhead just before 4 p.m.

Palmer, who resigned from the church in August for personal reasons, had been charged previously with attempted murder. In 2004 he pleaded guilty to assault charges and was deemed “not criminally responsible” and was committed, according to Maryland court records. Other records indicate that shooting occurred in 2001.

Christine Singleterry, Palmer’s former mother-in-law, said Palmer shot a man following an argument at a Baltimore mosque. “He got him to go outside and then shot him in the parking lot,” said Singleterry. She said he served about 18 months in the mental facility and was released. She said the victim remains paralyzed.

Singleterry said her daughter, who is now deceased, divorced Palmer in the 1990s because he was abusive. They had two daughters who are now grown.

“He was mixed up and argumentative,” she said. Family members said he moved to Atlanta several years ago.

Mack Simpson, who is married to Palmer’s sister, was shocked to hear the news. “That’s a shame,” he said. “This is the second time.”

McDowell, a father of two young children, was a member of the church’s production crew and a facilities maintenance manager there, police said.

Karen Webb, who had taken her mother to the church for Bible study, said she was told the victim was shot six times.

“I brought my mother up here to go to church — every Wednesday she attends Bible study. As soon as we get here I’m told someone has been shot,” Webb said. “He was one of the praise leaders.”

Dollar, a popular televangelist, started World Changers Ministries in 1986 with eight members, holding services in the cafeteria of a local elementary school, according to the church’s website. Its campus now occupies 81 acres, with services held in the 8,500-seat World Dome. Dollar is a regular on the Trinity Broadcasting Network.

Attempts to reach Dollar were unsuccessful. Ken Terry, a pastor at the church, called McDowell a “tremendous leader, role model and father.”

He said McDowell had been a longtime member of the church. “He was faithful for a number of years. We have known him for years. Since he was a little kid.” Terry spoke of McDowell’s two sons. “He spent a tremendous amount of time with them. He was the model dad.”

Throughout the afternoon, mourners streamed into McDowell’s home, many carrying food. Marlene Guice, a neighbor, said she saw the victim Wednesday morning while she was in her yard and he was on his way to church. “I waved at him like I always do,” she said.

Guice, who has lived two doors from the McDowells for two years, said she met him while walking her dogs in the neighborhood. “They stayed to themselves, but were very nice.”

McDowell was described as an uplifting man, as evidenced by postings on his Facebook site.

In 2010, McDowell wrote, “One of the most valuable assets we can possess is a positive attitude towards our lives. Your attitude is one of the first things people notice when they come in contact with you. Make it good.”

Another time, he wrote, “Life’s too short not to enjoy it.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/suspect-in-killing-at-world-changers-church-has-cr/nSnBM/

Nice & Wavy

And I think its time Creflo stepped down. There is something VERY wrong going on in that church. I don't care how large it is, there is a spirit there that does not belong.
You should write him and share how you feel with him.:yep:

LucieLoo12

Why do u think it would be Creflo's fault?
I am not a fan of his, but I don't want to go pointing fingers either

SummerSolstice

LucieLoo12

It was the second time Palmer had been charged with shooting a man in a church; he pleaded guilty to shooting a man a decade ago in Baltimore and was committed to a mental health facility there.

:nono:. Yea. This man had issues. I know that this man has done wrong, but I do have some compassion for him because it is something deeper going on. God help him...