Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Congrats, Imani!

Welcome, BlackDiamond!!

I got my package of Oyin's Whipped Pudding and can I just say, "aahhhh.." It smells so good. I put some on my damp ends (from my morning co-wash) and some on my ng!! Here's hoping for the best. I do want to try their Burnt Sugar Pomade, though.

How do you like the Whipped Pudding? I just bought some Miss Jessie's Baby Buttercreme, and it made my pretty soft. But I know it has mineral oil and petrolatum in it, so I probably need to find something similar that is cheaper with better products.

Hey ladies i am newly transitioning.... about 5 weeks post... i am having some real issues with my NG, and the one person that i do know personally that is natural says that i have to BC because of the two different textures of my hair, my new growth very very thick not to sure of the curl pattern yet but my relaxed hair is bone straight....:nono::nono:... I dont want to do that, but my hair is breaking something serious, any suggestions

Maybe try adding Protein to your reggie. You could start with adding an egg to a DC and see if that helps with the breakage. How much NG do u have?

Maybe try adding Protein to your reggie. You could start with adding an egg to a DC and see if that helps with the breakage. How much NG do u have?
Not alot maybe like half to three quaters of an inch which is what is scaring me, how am i going to be able to handle it when it gets to like 3-4 inches... i dont want to give up. It is to the point where i cant even part it to moisturize the inside with my finger, i need a comb for everything.
also i use a protien about once every two weeks. thats not helping.

How do you like the Whipped Pudding? I just bought some Miss Jessie's Baby Buttercreme, and it made my pretty soft. But I know it has mineral oil and petrolatum in it, so I probably need to find something similar that is cheaper with better products.

Sorry for the late reply!! I love it. It makes my hair soft as well. I use it to moisturize my hair and then I seal with my oil mix.

Hey ladies i am newly transitioning.... about 5 weeks post... i am having some real issues with my NG, and the one person that i do know personally that is natural says that i have to BC because of the two different textures of my hair, my new growth very very thick not to sure of the curl pattern yet but my relaxed hair is bone straight....:nono::nono:... I dont want to do that, but my hair is breaking something serious, any suggestions

I am not transitioning but I am stretching ...I am at 12 weeks now but I have been alternating between NTM Leave In and Nexxus Humectress - I have been so lazy with my hair lately...I just put this stuff in slick it back and throw in claw clip ...

Overall, how is everyone holding up in this thread...any success stories...I've given the hair obsession a rest this past year and am thinking about giving this transition a 2nd attempt.

Overall, how is everyone holding up in this thread...any success stories...I've given the hair obsession a rest this past year and am thinking about giving this transition a 2nd attempt.

I'm holding up pretty well. I'm 9 months post and a bit bored with my hair. Bought some phony ponies to put some excitement in my styles and I'm waiting for it to get cold so I can straighten. What problems did you have when you first tried to transition?

I'm almost 3 months post and really excited to see my natural texture. I haven't got a good look at it since I was about 12. I hope to transition for at least 3 years.

Hey ladies! Just checking in...I'll be 14 months post tomorrow and I feel like I'm finally getting comfortable with my transition (knock on wood:grin:). I have been concentrating on using products with ceramides and my hair is responding much better (i.e. less breakage). I am still switching up between twistouts and buns but I plan on going back to half wigs during the winter months. Right now it seems that I have a 50/50 relaxed/natural ratio which is making my twistouts a little more challenging.

I can't believe how fast this transition is going!

I'm holding up pretty well. I'm 9 months post and a bit bored with my hair. Bought some phony ponies to put some excitement in my styles and I'm waiting for it to get cold so I can straighten. What problems did you have when you first tried to transition?

That's great LaFemme!!! Congrats. Well my issue was a little bit of everything:
1) It didn't go well with my face- You look at these beautiful naturals (regarless of texture) on You Tube with big curly ringlets or full bold afros or whatever and you hope that progressively that will be you. GIRLLLLLL, I was dedicated to my regimen and got great growth and hair health results, but the LOOK of my hair was just not flattering. True, perhaps I didn't know what I was doing but that was then.
2) I was shocked that Natural Hair Salons (in my area atleast) charge more money that the regular salons, lol!!! So I found myself just weaving and wiggin' it out and not really enjoying my own hair. (The weaves can last me a couple months for the same cost as the natural styles that would last a couple weeks)
3) I just didn't plan things out...I had overexpectations thinking going natural was this effortless, low maintenance, quick transition that would result in this gorgeous head of hair and I slowly realized that it was just as much work as maintaining relaxed hair, if not more.

So, that's about it in a nutshell. I look a whole lot better with relaxed hair but I like the idea of eventually being chemical free.

Hopefully you can stick it through this next transition. so far only 5 weeks in and im already thinking about giving up.

Not alot maybe like half to three quaters of an inch which is what is scaring me, how am i going to be able to handle it when it gets to like 3-4 inches... i dont want to give up. It is to the point where i cant even part it to moisturize the inside with my finger, i need a comb for everything.

For me, after 3 months had passed my hair was a little easier to handle. Maybe more DC's? Or you can hide your hair for a little, until it grows a little more. I find my hair at 8 months post easier to handle than 2months, but maybe its also that I have gotten used to it.

I'm 2 1/2 months in and I'm getting a bit frustrated. I can't seem to keep my new growth moisturized. Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep it soft and moisturized?

just decided to do some braids on my hair, no extensions though, maybe that will help.... anyone know how to keep the ends from unraveling without using rubber bands?

^^^Mine usually just stay. I usually do them at night on air-dried hair with Shea Moisture Shea Butter Masque, I roll the ends of all of them with perm rod rollers and take them out in the morning. If you get the plait as close as you can (without breakage) to the end, you should be fine. Oh, and I'm a 4b/4a, so mine may stay better than if you were a 3c or 3b

Last edited:
I'm 2 1/2 months in and I'm getting a bit frustrated. I can't seem to keep my new growth moisturized. Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep it soft and moisturized?

I DC weekly with Aussie Moist, but I also mix in jojoba oil and wheat germ oil. That helps A LOT with softness. You can probably do this with any DC. Once it's about 90% air-dried, I put a little Shea Moisture Shea Butter Masque on the roots in about six sections and massage it in. Oh, and applying your DC in sections helps you make sure you get to ALL of the NG. I also apply it as if it were a relaxer. HTH!

ETA: It took my hair about a month and a half to start feeling better. Consistency is key.

Maybe too much protein? I thought I needed a lot of protein, so I used Silicon Mix as my DC, but my hair started doing better when I started using Aussie Moist, adding oils to my DC, and doing light protein (Aphogee Green tea and keratin spray) on the relaxed hair only.

Try adding ceramides to your regimen. I swear I don't deal with dry hair issues since I have incorporated them into my regimen. Use either or a mix of unrefined Wheat germ oil, hemp seep oil, sunflower oil, rice bran oil, walnut oil added to your DCs, pre-poo with the oils, and seal your hair with the oils. This should eliminate your dry hair and increase manageability.

Try adding ceramides to your regimen. I swear I don't deal with dry hair issues since I have incorporated them into my regimen. Use either or a mix of unrefined Wheat germ oil, hemp seep oil, sunflower oil, rice bran oil, walnut oil added to your DCs, pre-poo with the oils, and seal your hair with the oils. This should eliminate your dry hair and increase manageability.

:yep::yep::yep: WGO is a life saver!

Honestly, I think at about 15 months if your hair grows at 1/2 inch per month. With my 4a/front and 4b/back hair, it still looks short at 15 months (to me). However, it is long enough for puffs, twists, etc. I am going to hang on until 18 months and then trim the remaining ends off the front.:yep:

In the pics below, my hair in back is just over 7 inches long but you would never know it!

I agree. I BC'ed at 14 months and I don't have a TWA. You can check out my pics in my fotki or the newly natural thread. Also look at my siggy pic below..

I agree. I BC'ed at 14 months and I don't have a TWA. You can check out my pics in my fotki or the newly natural thread. Also look at my siggy pic below..

:love::love::love: I LOOOVE your hair! Probably because you're my hair twin! I looked at my NG last week and realized that it looks just like yours! Even DH said so when I was looking at your album! I want my hair to be like yours when it grows up (and so does DH)! :grin:

Glad to see all the updates ladies.....this is such an awesome thread! As of yesterday, I am officially 6 months post. Last Saturday, I got braids and plan on keeping them in for 2-3 months and allowing my hair to rest for 2-4 wks and rebraiding. My goal is to transition for 2 years.

1 year in and it feels GREAT!!! Its soooo much easier now. I pretty much cowash everyday or every other day and bun. No problems at all. Hoping to make it another year or so before the bc'ing.

:love::love::love: I LOOOVE your hair! Probably because you're my hair twin! I looked at my NG last week and realized that it looks just like yours! Even DH said so when I was looking at your album! I want my hair to be like yours when it grows up (and so does DH)! :grin:

:drunk:..........aww Thank You!

I was just reading your comments in the other transitioning thread about how you realized that you are more 4a with a 4b nape....this is me also:yep:. Once I bc'ed and worked on my moisture..my little coils starting popping up everywhere.

I'm still trying to figure out my hair as far as styling and products go but I do love it and I'm glad that I decided to stop relaxing. I wish you the best in your transition. :hug2:

Back