Weave Prices-Are vendors and weavologist getting a little ridiculous?

Are Weave Prices Getting Ridiculous?

• Total voters

lashannasmall

I posted this in the weave forum on BHM. I wanted to see what you guys thought about this as well.

Hi guys,

This may be a kind of a rant but I am going to get my hair done and after I added up the costs of the hair, closure and install, I figured I may as well have purchased a high quality lace front. At least I would have something tangiable. Think about it. Say you were purchasing EP hair:

Closure:$350
Wefts:$300
Install:$200 and (for some stylist it can be $325 and up)

TOTAL $850!!!!!! (If you go to a cheap stylist)
TOTAL $1000!!!! (iF you go to a really expensive stylist)

Nice lace front wig from California Lace Wigs or Xquisite: $400
Install:Free cause you do it yourself
Glue:$15

TOTAL:$415

Also, the lace front is a one time investmant while you will have to pay for the installs over and over. So you could have bought 1 $300 dollar lace front from a chinese vendor for every install of weave that you pay for. So lacefronts are also a better value.

I love me some extensions plus and I understad why their hair is so expensive and their lacefronts cost even more but do you think the price of hair and installs is getting ridiculous? Because seriously, the only reason I am not purchasing a lacefront is because I am scared of installing it. If they came up with Lace Fronts For Dummies, Weave vendors and Weaveologists may go out of business.

Thann

I agree with the prices being a little steep. Recently, I got a quote of $260 for 8oz of 16in, 1b lt.yaki from a chinese vendor. I dont resuse my hair more than once, so that a lot of money for something I dont intend to make a long term investment.

I personally dont care for the look of lacefronts or closures, but the same $260 could buy me a Sedu Revolution Flatiron and blowdryer that would last much longer.

RegaLady

Sew ins around here average 150-250 dollars. And they are okay nothing spectacular:ohwell:. It is getting ridiculous on how much this sew in thing is costing. If someone keeps their hair up months at a time, it may be worth it. But I averaged how much I would go to they salon with my own hair, to get it done, every week and added it up to equal the months if I went to get a $400 on a weave. It was cheaper to wear my own hair. I would rather braid my own hair a wear a half wig for $50 which may last about 2 months top:grin:!

jamaicalovely

See my comments below....

This may be a kind of a rant but I am going to get my hair done and after I added up the costs of the hair, closure and install, I figured I may as well have purchased a high quality lace front. At least I would have something tangiable. Think about it. Say you were purchasing EP hair:

Closure:$350 - nope! :nono: get Halleys or Laniks...should be less than $150. Or just nix the closure all together.

Wefts:$300 - EP is great hair, but I would suggest only getting their hair when on sale.:ohwell:

Install:$200 and (for some stylist it can be $325 and up) This is reasonable.

TOTAL $850!!!!!! (If you go to a cheap stylist)

TOTAL $1000!!!! (iF you go to a really expensive stylist):nono: :nono: and :nono:

JL's: adjusted total: :shopping:
w/closure: 150 + 225 + 200 = $575
w/o closure: 0 + 225 + 200 = $425 :yep:

*Note - $225 based on assumption you purchase hair at Buy 1 get 50% off. Trust me...I NEVA buy hair unless it's during a sale.

Nice lace front wig from California Lace Wigs or Xquisite: $400
Install:Free cause you do it yourself
Glue:$15

TOTAL:$415 :perplexedBut no versatility for other styles/hair.

You live in or near ATL? If so, make sure you always attend the ATL BHM Reunion Dinners. Everyone who attends pretty much gets free hair all the time.

Shoot...me and DSD were cracking up on how we got our free hair still sitting in the bag.:lachen::lachen: *DSD, I'll swap with that HCGW.:yep:

BTW-
BHM is having a GET FAB HOLIDAY( free hair/install )contest:
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=166275

Last edited:

_belle

1) you ladies need to find chicas that are trying to pay for beauty school and/or college. I have 2 friends that install weaves. 1 charges $70 for an install, the other charges $40-$50. . . and I always tip well. This frees up money to get the kind of hair I actually want. . .

2) my chicks are AWESOME. . . hair is ALWAYS on point. They have you in and out in a decent time. and they never make the cornrows too tight.

3) sidenote, I know nothing about all of this fancy, smancy hair. . . I walk in say I want either synthetic or human, point out the pack I want to see, touch the hair, and then see how much the price is. . . I have heard about these crazy hair prices for the silky stuff. . . but my REAL hair isn't silky. . . so that is a no go:lachen:

4) what is a closure?

5) lace front is my new addiction. . . I have been EVERYWHERE trying to scope out prices. . . again my biggest concern is will the lace mesh with MY complexion. . . I am tempted to try a cheaper synthetic or maybe even lightly used wig, THEN if I like it, jump into the good stuff.:lick:

jamaicalovely

Ladies,

Oh another tip on how to save money on buying hair....

Check out the BHM "Slightly used weave trade off" thread: http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=89804
There are always ladies selling off their stash of never been used hair. Reasons? Need $$ or did not fit their style.

Check out my weave album in my fotki as an example of what I addressed in my last post and my last comment. http://public.fotki.com/jamaicalovely/weaves/

Belle Noir - Brand New 8oz, 16in $100 Reg Price $230
Source: BHM Slightly Used Thread

Halleys Gentle Wave - Brand New 8oz, 16in $140 Reg Price $175
Source: Halleys Curl Website - Sept sale

Halleys Relaxed Straight - Brand New 8oz, 16in $140 Reg Price $175
Source: Halleys Curl Website - Sept sale

Lanik's Deep Curl Brand New 8oz, 16in FREE Reg Price $160?
Source: ATL BHM Reunion Dinner

Total savings - $350:drunk:

lashannasmall

I have heard negative reviews of both Laniks and Halley's curls. No one has ever said anything bad about the quality of Extensions Plus products. I have their relaxed hair and their curly hair and it is perfect. I have used each at least 3 times and they still look look I just took them out of the pack and I have never had any tangling and I only get a few hairs in the comb and that is because I did not seal the wefts on my newest batch.

However, i was going to consider a Laniks closure because I don't plan on wearing weaves as much as I did last year therefore the closure doesn't have to be as durable as Extensions Plus. What is the website for that?

jamaicalovely

1) you ladies need to find chicas that are trying to pay for beauty school and/or college. I have 2 friends that install weaves. 1 charges $70 for an install, the other charges $40-$50. . . and I always tip well. This frees up money to get the kind of hair I actually want. . .

2) my chicks are AWESOME. . . hair is ALWAYS on point. They have you in and out in a decent time. and they never make the cornrows too tight.

3) sidenote, I know nothing about all of this fancy, smancy hair. . . I walk in say I want either synthetic or human, point out the pack I want to see, touch the hair, and then see how much the price is. . . I have heard about these crazy hair prices for the silky stuff. . . but my REAL hair isn't silky. . . so that is a no go:lachen:

4) what is a closure?

5) lace front is my new addiction. . . I have been EVERYWHERE trying to scope out prices. . . again my biggest concern is will the lace mesh with MY complexion. . . I am tempted to try a cheaper synthetic or maybe even lightly used wig, THEN if I like it, jump into the good stuff.:lick:

I guess yall can tell I love talking about weaves:yep:

Closures are hairpieces installed in front so you can hair none of your real hair exposed. Here is a link to one of the best weaveologists in ATL (Amandita:yep:) who gives more explanation on installation and sample pics:http://public.fotki.com/amandita-bhm2/

Jamaica Lovely, I have also hear horriable things about Bella Noir.
I know...I've heard them too. I currently have Belle Noir installed and it's just fine. Pics in fotki.

I have heard negative reviews of both Laniks and Halley's curls. No one has ever said anything bad about the quality of Extensions Plus products. I have their relaxed hair and their curly hair and it is perfect. I have used each at least 3 times and they still look look I just took them out of the pack and I have never had any tangling and I only get a few hairs in the comb and that is because I did not seal the wefts on my newest batch.

However, i was going to consider a Laniks closure because I don't plan on wearing weaves as much as I did last year therefore the closure doesn't have to be as durable as Extensions Plus. What is the website for that?
I believe Laniks is working on her website, you have to email her to order. http://public.fotki.com/lanikshair/

I agree, I've heard some negative responses on Halleys, not on Laniks. < particularly on BHM. However, IMO the good comments far exceed the bad ones for Halleys. I don't always rely on comments I read. I don't believe any vendor has a 100% satisfaction rate. So, I like to try it out for myself before I say a vendor is bad or not. Some people say hair is bad because they don't know how to take care of it or use cheapy products on it. Quality hair needs quality care and products. Also, some hair stylists are not experienced with installation of certain hair, so if the installation is jacked up and the hair is tangly.

Another hair that I like that some girls don't like is Indique. You know I ignored all the bad comments on this hair and tried it out the Indique Curly for myself when they had the BOGO sale. I absolutely loved this hair!!!!! I can't wait to get some more.

Yep, your best bet is EP, but check around to see if anyone is selling it or wait for EP to have a sale. The economy hit these vendors as well, they are more pressured these days to compete with each other.

Last edited:

jamaicalovely

Thanks for reminding me of Amandita. I am going to ATL so I am about to call her. Child I am so tired of bad weaves.

I haven't been to see her since May. I've been going to Shonda ever since.

She'll hook you up. Don't forget to ask her her thoughts on the hair. Wait, I think she's selling indian hair now.

divya

OMG! I had no idea weaves cost that much generally. The Koreans are smart to stick with this...LOL!

asummertyme

Thats why I am glad that I know how to do my own..with layer cuts and all..I cant see myself paying those prices..

Lucky's Mom

There are a lot of DIY'ers out there... but - I would NEVER pay that kind of money for something temporary. No Way. :nono:

I am close to alot of BHM'ers who Flip out when they win or recieve this hair ( at our last BHM luncheon we gave away EP, Indique, and a LF wig...) The Hair is DIVINE..... I was in charge of it all - because they all knew I would not weave up a THANG.... ( pics in my fotki....

And I have one really close friend who has found a wig maker, because she could not keep going and spening 450 with so and so....

I will NEVER do it...Ever.
I will Grow mine, and let people ask me if it is a weave :)

I think that the industry has gone way over board......

MsGoody531

Good Morning...

I had to chime in this morning because I just got my full sew-in yesterday and felt my stylist had gone up on me, but I had to go back and look.....

Anyways...I used to go to the shop every week and get my hair done for $35 and then every six weeks get a relaxer. So, for the last two years I have been getting a full sew-in with no hair out and leave it in for 3 months.

So, I did the math:

If I go every week for 3 months:

$35 x 10 = $350
$70 x 2 = $140 (relaxer)

Full Sew-in (3 months)

Hair $135
In stall $160

So, I guess my savings of $195 isn't to bad :perplexed. However, I would love to learn on my own or find someone that I could trust to do it cheaper.

I agree that the prices are getting out of hand and that is why I have personally taken to the internet to find my hair. My BSS used to charge $75 a bag for my hair now it is $85 and this has all happened in one year :huh:. However, I let my fingers do the walking and found my hair on-line for $63 a bag with FREE shipping.

You know what to do BSS!!!! :moon:
:lachen:

TrustMeLove

Wow! That is a lot for someone elses hair. Yea this is getting ridiculous. I would try to find the best store bought hair ever.

Back in my relaxed days I made the clip in pieces..they were AWESOME. and blended well. Now y'all getting all fancy...$350 for some hair? Whoaa!

AtlantaJJ

There are a lot of DIY'ers out there... but - I would NEVER pay that kind of money for something temporary. No Way. :nono:

I am close to alot of BHM'ers who Flip out when they win or recieve this hair ( at our last BHM luncheon we gave away EP, Indique, and a LF wig...) The Hair is DIVINE..... I was in charge of it all - because they all knew I would not weave up a THANG.... ( pics in my fotki....

And I have one really close friend who has found a wig maker, because she could not keep going and spening 450 with so and so....

I will NEVER do it...Ever.
I will Grow mine, and let people ask me if it is a weave :)

I think that the industry has gone way over board......

You are my hero, you know that don't you! :yep:

Lucky's Mom

Wow! That is a lot for someone elses hair. Yea this is getting ridiculous. I would try to find the best store bought hair ever.

Back in my relaxed days I made the clip in pieces..they were AWESOME. and blended well. Now y'all getting all fancy...$350 for some hair? Whoaa!

Girl - that is cheap... But - once you see and feel the hair - YOU GET IT.
I do. I will just NEVER do it...
At our last Luncheon - EP - brought a LF wig, and - if I were to buy a wig - this would be it.....

1200 smackers. :huh:
HELL NO.

Now - some folks would not be caught dead with a BSS install. It is like death to them!!!

I have been to EP.... I salivate and walk out every time.
:)

Last edited:

glamazon386

Yes, those prices are out of hand. They are capitalizing on the high demand. I have been an avid weave wearer since I went to college and I have NEVER spent that much money. And my hair always looks great. It's really not necessary. I'd rather spend my money on other more important things.

glamazon386

Good Morning...

I had to chime in this morning because I just got my full sew-in yesterday and felt my stylist had gone up on me, but I had to go back and look.....

Anyways...I used to go to the shop every week and get my hair done for $35 and then every six weeks get a relaxer. So, for the last two years I have been getting a full sew-in with no hair out and leave it in for 3 months.

So, I did the math:

If I go every week for 3 months:

$35 x 10 = $350
$70 x 2 = $140 (relaxer)

Full Sew-in (3 months)

Hair $135
In stall $160

So, I guess my savings of $195 isn't to bad :perplexed. However, I would love to learn on my own or find someone that I could trust to do it cheaper.

I agree that the prices are getting out of hand and that is why I have personally taken to the internet to find my hair. My BSS used to charge $75 a bag for my hair now it is $85 and this has all happened in one year :huh:. However, I let my fingers do the walking and found my hair on-line for $63 a bag with FREE shipping.

You know what to do BSS!!!! :moon:
:lachen:

I break it down like that too. Over a period of time the cost of the weave vs regular salon visits should at least even out but some of those people are still spending way too much for me.

Lucky's Mom

Yes, those prices are out of hand. They are capitalizing on the high demand. I have been an avid weave wearer since I went to college and I have NEVER spent that much money. And my hair always looks great. It's really not necessary. I'd rather spend my money on other more important things.

True. His & Hers hair ( high too) is just as nice as anything... for a shorter amount of time.

Hair like EP - lasts for YEARS..

LovinLea

I've never had a weave. Those prices are crazy for a 6 week hairstyle. The most I've spent on hair was $160 for box braids which last 10 weeks.

I'm cool with my half wigs.

glamazon386

True. His & Hers hair ( high too) is just as nice as anything... for a shorter amount of time.

Hair like EP - lasts for YEARS..

EP's relaxed texture hair doesn't match my hair. And even if it did more than likely I wouldn't spend all that money. I heard they were supposed to come out with a fine relaxed texture did it ever happen?

glamazon386

I've never had a weave. Those prices are crazy for a 6 week hairstyle. The most I've spent on hair was $160 for box braids which lastes 10 weeks.

I'm cool with my half wigs.

Some people leave them in longer than that. You can go up to 12. I wouldn't now that I'm natural because I'd be afraid matting but I went up to 10 with relaxed hair and no problems. And if they are continuously reusing the hair for a period of time I can see how the more expensive hair becomes more cost effective. I change my style up all the time though. I have hair I was supposed to reuse from old weaves sitting around that I never touched again.

Junebug D

BEYOND ridiculous! I doubt those prices will come down either unless the demand goes down. The weave looks really good these days, but there's just no way I could spend that much money on temporary hair unless I was a millionaire... a few times over. Or else they'd better give me some kind of surgery where that hair was attached inside my scalp permanently. :lachen: I just could not do it. I don't understand it. Grow your own hair, or try to be satisfied with what you got. You're not going anyplace but to a club or something, trying to impress some other women or some man with that expensive @$$ hair. Because I'm sure half of the people buying it ain't walking any red carpets on national TV anytime soon. It is not that serious.