Weave Prices-Are vendors and weavologist getting a little ridiculous?

Are Weave Prices Getting Ridiculous?

• Total voters

RegaLady

Good Morning...

I had to chime in this morning because I just got my full sew-in yesterday and felt my stylist had gone up on me, but I had to go back and look.....

Anyways...I used to go to the shop every week and get my hair done for $35 and then every six weeks get a relaxer. So, for the last two years I have been getting a full sew-in with no hair out and leave it in for 3 months.

So, I did the math:

If I go every week for 3 months:

$35 x 10 = $350
$70 x 2 = $140 (relaxer)

Full Sew-in (3 months)

Hair $135
In stall $160

So, I guess my savings of $195 isn't to bad :perplexed. However, I would love to learn on my own or find someone that I could trust to do it cheaper.

I agree that the prices are getting out of hand and that is why I have personally taken to the internet to find my hair. My BSS used to charge $75 a bag for my hair now it is $85 and this has all happened in one year :huh:. However, I let my fingers do the walking and found my hair on-line for $63 a bag with FREE shipping.

You know what to do BSS!!!! :moon:
:lachen:
I broke mine down like that two except I went to the salon once a month. I would spend 50 per visit so:
for three months I was spending 150- 170 dollars in three months as suppose to
$150 for install and $150 for hair = $300 for three months. To make matters worse, I would leave my hair in for 10weeks tops and that was a long time for me. WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY:nono::nono:!

MsGoody531

BEYOND ridiculous! I doubt those prices will come down either unless the demand goes down. The weave looks really good these days, but there's just no way I could spend that much money on temporary hair unless I was a millionaire... a few times over. Or else they'd better give me some kind of surgery where that hair was attached inside my scalp permanently. :lachen: I just could not do it. I don't understand it. Grow your own hair, or try to be satisfied with what you got. You're not going anyplace but to a club or something, trying to impress some other women or some man with that expensive @$$ hair. Because I'm sure half of the people buying it ain't walking any red carpets on national TV anytime soon. It is not that serious.
WOW........

I have only been to one club in my life and I am 30. I don't do anyting to imperss anyone when it comes to my hair. I love my hair and made the choice to go natural and this was my means of achieving my goal lenght until the time. I'm not an overly sensetive person by any means, but some of those comments made me do a double take...

naturalmanenyc

Keeping your hair up, weave or your own hair, is expensive if you cannot DIY.

I am transitioning to natural after DH asked me to stop weaving about a year ago. I am sure it was not a financial decision for him since he never knew how I paid for my weaves. Once I sat down and added up what I was paying for weaves, it was an easy decision to stop. My last weave install (over 1 year ago) was about $80 (a friend did it) and for the first time ever I used BSS hair (about $60).

Back when I was having my weaves done at the salon, I was spending a ridiculous amount of money. I can see how the hair industry reached $10 billion in annual sales.

I started with sew-ins
$200 install (every 12 weeks)
$196 wefted hair - Adorable Spanish Wavy #2 & #4 mixed with streaks of #8 every 2 inches on thin wefts
$35 W & S every 2 weeks (6 times per install)
$75 relaxer every 12 weeks
-------------------------------
$681 every 12 weeks
I was able to reuse the wefts on two different installs so I saved about $400.

Then I found out about strand by strand aka fusion weave
$500 install (every 12 weeks)
$180 bulk hair - Adorable Spanish Wavy 6 ounces #2 & #4 mixed 2 ounces streaks in #8
$965 every 12 weeks (bulk hair was not reusable)

I have not invested in a real lace front but have started to do my own hair 99% of the time (I can't cut on my own) and I am also using wigs.

I don't intend to EVER have a weave installed again....since I can just buy a wig that looks great for well under $100.

Good Morning...

I had to chime in this morning because I just got my full sew-in yesterday and felt my stylist had gone up on me, but I had to go back and look.....

Anyways...I used to go to the shop every week and get my hair done for $35 and then every six weeks get a relaxer. So, for the last two years I have been getting a full sew-in with no hair out and leave it in for 3 months.

So, I did the math:

If I go every week for 3 months:

$35 x 10 = $350
$70 x 2 = $140 (relaxer)

Full Sew-in (3 months)

Hair $135
In stall $160

So, I guess my savings of $195 isn't to bad :perplexed. However, I would love to learn on my own or find someone that I could trust to do it cheaper.

I agree that the prices are getting out of hand and that is why I have personally taken to the internet to find my hair. My BSS used to charge $75 a bag for my hair now it is $85 and this has all happened in one year :huh:. However, I let my fingers do the walking and found my hair on-line for $63 a bag with FREE shipping.

You know what to do BSS!!!! :moon:

Lucky's Mom

EP's relaxed texture hair doesn't match my hair. And even if it did more than likely I wouldn't spend all that money. I heard they were supposed to come out with a fine relaxed texture did it ever happen?

I feel ya. Like I said - they would NEVER get my money.

I have no idea about textures. I don't follow the weave thing that closely

Lucky's Mom

BEYOND ridiculous! I doubt those prices will come down either unless the demand goes down. The weave looks really good these days, but there's just no way I could spend that much money on temporary hair unless I was a millionaire... a few times over. Or else they'd better give me some kind of surgery where that hair was attached inside my scalp permanently. :lachen: I just could not do it. I don't understand it. Grow your own hair, or try to be satisfied with what you got. You're not going anyplace but to a club or something, trying to impress some other women or some man with that expensive @$$ hair. Because I'm sure half of the people buying it ain't walking any red carpets on national TV anytime soon. It is not that serious.

I am with you girl.

My mom has Hip Length hair. She never wore it out... and so - people with long hair, don't really fuss with it.
I have been in rooms with 30 black women with weaves and wigs ( I don't hang with lots of my own kind much :lachen:)

And - all they did was ask about my hair.:nono: Crazyness. I kept wondering what they would all do if suddeny - Indian women STOPPED Sacrificing their hair.

What the hell would happen then? We would see alot of :afro:

We live in a celeb driven culture.
Everybody hates on Tyra and B - But they want those OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive wigs.
Not me.

Lucky's Mom

WOW........

I have only been to one club in my life and I am 30. I don't do anyting to imperss anyone when it comes to my hair. I love my hair and made the choice to go natural and this was my means of achieving my goal lenght until the time. I'm not an overly sensetive person by any means, but some of those comments made me do a double take...

I won't speak for her, but I will say that I did not intend to offend anyone. This was a polled question - and so I am sure there will be lots of festive responses.
I am not down on weaves. I just won't and can't afford such a thing....

I don't go to clubs either... I think she made a comment referring to those folks out there that tend to be OBSESSED with this stuff.
I wear Braids, so I hope no one thinks I am one of those "round the way girls"

Lucky's Mom

Keeping your hair up, weave or your own hair, is expensive if you cannot DIY.

I am transitioning to natural after DH asked me to stop weaving about a year ago. I am sure it was not a financial decision for him since he never knew how I paid for my weaves. Once I sat down and added up what I was paying for weaves, it was an easy decision to stop. My last weave install (over 1 year ago) was about $80 (a friend did it) and for the first time ever I used BSS hair (about $60).

Back when I was having my weaves done at the salon, I was spending a ridiculous amount of money. I can see how the hair industry reached $10 billion in annual sales.

I started with sew-ins
$200 install (every 12 weeks)
$196 wefted hair - Adorable Spanish Wavy #2 & #4 mixed with streaks of #8 every 2 inches on thin wefts
$681 every 12 weeks
I was able to reuse the wefts on two different installs so I saved about $400.

Then I found out about strand by strand aka fusion weave
$500 install (every 12 weeks)
$180 bulk hair - Adorable Spanish Wavy 6 ounces #2 & #4 mixed 2 ounces streaks in #8
$965 every 12 weeks (bulk hair was not reusable)

I have not invested in a real lace front but have started to do my own hair 99% of the time (I can't cut on my own) and I am also using wigs.

I don't intend to EVER have a weave installed again....since I can just buy a wig that looks great for well under $100.

OMG... I only spent money every 6 weeks.

Wow. Girl.....
4 grand a year is tuition for me.

naturalmanenyc

Tell me about it. And to think that if I was still at my old law firm, I would not have even thought twice about spending that kind of money on my hair.

Maintaining hair can be expensive. Just W & S alone can be a big chunk.
$35/week for W&S = $1,820/year. Thankfully I can rollerset my own hair now.

OMG... I only spent money every 6 weeks.

Wow. Girl.....
4 grand a year is tuition for me.

RegaLady

Harsh, but real:perplexed:ohwell:! I wore weaves and after the last install I said enough! I don't knock it or anyone who wears it. In my fotki, I was wearing them too.:look:! But, it isn't that serious money wise. I could have spent the money elsewhere:ohwell:!

glamazon386

Tell me about it. And to think that if I was still at my old law firm, I would not have even thought twice about spending that kind of money on my hair.

I never realized it was that expensive until I started paying for it myself. My daddy used to pay $45 a week for me to get my hair done every week when I was a teenager in HS. And that was maybe 7 or 8 years ago. It's probably more than that now. Once I started working and paying for my own hair I couldn't afford that upkeep. :nono:

Lei*Lei

Wow...some of those prices are crazy! I'm not sure about the hair since i have never bought anything other than the bss hair which is about $30/pack for human. However over here the average cost of an installation is $80....$50 at some salons. I don't think i would pay some of those prices!

Junebug D

I didn't mean to be so harsh, but those prices blow my MIND. Because here I was thinking that the lacefronts were the most expensive thing you could get! I mean, really! It is mind-boggling that so many (non-rich & non-famous) women would spend that much money on fake hair or a hairstyle.

I just can't imagine what would necessitate spending that much. The lacefronts look just as good. Cheaper weave looks good too, and chances are everyone knows it's a weave anyway. You can wear a cheaper weave and not look broke-down. The plain old sew-ins look pretty darn good to me.

Maybe if you are getting it done once for your wedding or maybe even prom or some extra-special occassion, I can see that. But to spend this much money on a regular basis-- be it every 3 months, every 6 months... there's no way I could ever do it personally, unless I had a whole lot of money and a 100% paid-for house and no loans, no worries, or no debt of any kind. If that's you, then more power to you. Otherwise... I do not get it.

naturalmanenyc

You were not being harsh, you were giving your opinion; albeit not based in reality.

If the hair industry only survived off of rich & famous people purchasing hair, then it would not be a $10 billion annual business. Weaves & wigs are big business because most people (men & women) want to look their best at all time. If that means a wig, weave or lace front, then that is what they will buy.

It does not matter if they have a mortgage, student loans, credit card debt etc. People spend money on the things that make them happy.....and for some it's hair while others may buy designer shoes or bags, or clothes. Saying that a person should not add hair weave to their monthly budget because they have other bills is comparable to saying that a person should not take a vacation because they have a mortgage, car loan, student loan and that vacation money could be used for those bills instead. For a 30 year mortgage, do you really think that the homeowner (with a hair fettish) should put every spare penny toward the mortgage and not buy any hair weave for 30 years?

So long as it's not my money, I could care less what anyone else is buying.

I agree that not all inexpensive weaves look awful....but once a stylist learns to do a flawless weave, then the prices go up....especially if the person was not licensed and then gets a license.

And no, not everyone knows that a weave install is not that person's hair. I was personally at a salon to get a wash & set and the owner came over to dig all in my head since she did not believe the shampoo girl that my hair was a sew-in.

Granted, I have stopped having weaves installed but I am not going to knock anyone else for choosing to weave regularly and not just for "special occassions". For some, life is the special occassion.

I heard Wendy Williams talking about average women wearing lace wigs, which she thought was silly, but she was on the RADIO where nobody could see her hair. Now that she has a t.v. show, I guess she is wearing more lace wigs?

I am shocked at some level about lace front wigs though. What is surprising to me is lace front wig wearer's who SHAVE their own hair line back to make the lf look better. I know a few people with traction alopecia or other issues that wear lace front wigs to cover their hair, and I have a friend who is a cancer survivor who wear wigs (not lace fronts) but I still don't get it that people with no hair issues SHAVE their hairline back to make a wig fit/look better.

Oh well, again not my money & not my hair.

I didn't mean to be so harsh, but those prices blow my MIND. Because here I was thinking that the lacefronts were the most expensive thing you could get! I mean, really! It is mind-boggling that so many (non-rich & non-famous) women would spend that much money on fake hair or a hairstyle.

I just can't imagine what would necessitate spending that much. The lacefronts look just as good. Cheaper weave looks good too, and chances are everyone knows it's a weave anyway. You can wear a cheaper weave and not look broke-down. The plain old sew-ins look pretty darn good to me.

Maybe if you are getting it done once for your wedding or maybe even prom or some extra-special occassion, I can see that. But to spend this much money on a regular basis-- be it every 3 months, every 6 months... there's no way I could ever do it personally, unless I had a whole lot of money and a 100% paid-for house and no loans, no worries, or no debt of any kind. If that's you, then more power to you. Otherwise... I do not get it.

Last edited:

MochaEyeCandy

I never could understand why women spend so much time and money on some junk that ain't even theirs...that grows outta your scalp for FREE. *shakes head* to each their own, I'll keep my money.

locabouthair

I never could understand why women spend so much time and money on some junk that ain't even theirs...that grows outta your scalp for FREE. *shakes head* to each their own, I'll keep my money.

I feel the same. I used to get weaves only got them 3 times, but the last time I got one, I just didnt think it was worth the money, so I stopped getting them. I felt I was paying too much for something that didnt look real. Maybe it was the stylist.

locabouthair

There are places that charge 15 for a W&S. 35 is a bit much.

naturalmanenyc

$35 is average for a salon that is not a Dominican salon. Only Dominican salons charge $15 for a W&S and even then, that is for short hair.

The price goes up if your hair is longer and if you want a deep conditioner add at least $5. By the time you get BSL hair washed ($20 - $25), deep conditioned ($5) & set, plus tip everyone (shampoo girl, roller setter & styler) you are still at $30 - $35.

I know that I am personally saving a decent amount of cash by doing my own weekly wash & sets. I wash my hair at least once per week in cooler months and as much as daily in the summer months. Thankfully I no longer have to pay anyone to maintain my hair.

Last edited:

glamazon386

Not here in Maryland. :nono: Even the Dominican shops here charge around $30+. I used to pay $22 at Manuelas maybe 3 or 4 years ago but I'm sure they've gone up since then. Shoot if it cost $15 a week to get my hair done I'd be in there every week. My stylist charges $45.

Last edited:

locabouthair

Not here in Maryland. :nono: Even the Dominican shops here charge around $30+. I used to pay $22 at Manuelas maybe 3 or 4 years ago but I'm sure they've gone up since then. Shoot if it cost $15 a week to get my hair done I'd be in there every week. My stylist charges $45.

oh yeah when I was in MD, one salon wanted to charge $45.:nono: I got a dryer and some rollers and did it myself.

locabouthair

$35 is average for a salon that is not a Dominican salon. Only Dominican salons charge $15 for a W&S and even then, that is for short hair.

The price goes up if your hair is longer and if you want a deep conditioner add at least $5. By the time you get BSL hair washed ($20 - $25), deep conditioned ($5) & set, plus tip everyone (shampoo girl, roller setter & styler) you are still at $30 - $35.

I know that I am personally saving a decent amount of cash by doing my own weekly wash & sets. I wash my hair at least once per week in cooler months and as much as daily in the summer months. Thankfully I no longer have to pay anyone to maintain my hair.

yeah I go to the dominican salons and my hair is short. I always bring my own conditioner though, why spend $5 every time you go when you cna just buy the bottle and bring it with you?

I agree on doing it yourself though, I want to do that again but it never comes out right when I do it myself.

yuriko

wow, that is serious, didn't realize how expensive they were. I started doing my own weaves last year. They didn't start out that great, but now girl, My weaves are on point. So it takes practice, I once did a weave and took it out in 4 days because it was terrible; but it was free, so nothing lost

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
IClosure:$350
Wefts:$300
Install:$200 and (for some stylist it can be $325 and up)

TOTAL $850!!!!!! (If you go to a cheap stylist)
TOTAL $1000!!!! (iF you go to a really expensive stylist)

Ain't no way.

I was HEATED about 10 years ago I went to one of the 'Stylists of the Stars' who charged me $385 for an install after I spent $60 on the hair. I been done with weave ever since.

I pay for stuff in cash. I just can't see me physically handing over 10 Benjamins for something that is going to last 2-3 months. My fingers would cramp up, eyes start watering, heart rate goin up... naw man, couldn't be me.

Anew

I don't know if they're too steep or not. I'm just hopeful that the ones who charge really high prices don't look like a $35 job, lol