Weave Prices-Are vendors and weavologist getting a little ridiculous?

Are Weave Prices Getting Ridiculous?

• Total voters

vkb247

I never could understand why women spend so much time and money on some junk that ain't even theirs...that grows outta your scalp for FREE. *shakes head* to each their own, I'll keep my money.

I don't understand why women spend so much money on their hair period. However, I personally don't see the difference between ladies who spend the money in one big chunk on weaves as opposed to those who are raving pjs and have drawers and drawers full of products...

I have seen plenty of ladies who are very proud of their pj and no one knocks them so I am surprised to see how many people are shocked about weave spending.

BTW: You can sew in a lacefront.

Last edited:

Lucky's Mom

I didn't mean to be so harsh, but those prices blow my MIND. Because here I was thinking that the lacefronts were the most expensive thing you could get! I mean, really! It is mind-boggling that so many (non-rich & non-famous) women would spend that much money on fake hair or a hairstyle.

I just can't imagine what would necessitate spending that much. The lacefronts look just as good. Cheaper weave looks good too, and chances are everyone knows it's a weave anyway. You can wear a cheaper weave and not look broke-down. The plain old sew-ins look pretty darn good to me.

Maybe if you are getting it done once for your wedding or maybe even prom or some extra-special occassion, I can see that. But to spend this much money on a regular basis-- be it every 3 months, every 6 months... there's no way I could ever do it personally, unless I had a whole lot of money and a 100% paid-for house and no loans, no worries, or no debt of any kind. If that's you, then more power to you. Otherwise... I do not get it.

NO Girl - you were not being harsh. This is about our opinions.
It is a POLL - after all.... I agree with you 1000% - and I have seen this hair up close.
HELL NO.
I won't spend 450.00 on hair... On my FHI!!!!????? YES. It will last a bit longer:lachen:

Lucky's Mom

$35 is average for a salon that is not a Dominican salon. Only Dominican salons charge $15 for a W&S and even then, that is for short hair.

The price goes up if your hair is longer and if you want a deep conditioner add at least $5. By the time you get BSL hair washed ($20 - $25), deep conditioned ($5) & set, plus tip everyone (shampoo girl, roller setter & styler) you are still at $30 - $35.

I know that I am personally saving a decent amount of cash by doing my own weekly wash & sets. I wash my hair at least once per week in cooler months and as much as daily in the summer months. Thankfully I no longer have to pay anyone to maintain my hair.

I have been doing my own hair for years now. My own Braids since 2006.

EVERY time I go to someone else - ISSUES...and money out of my pocket.

After my last Braids ( August)...I decided it is worth my time to do my own Braids... Forever.
NO one does my hair ( flat Irons,etc) and I don't think I will be cornrowing again.

Lucky's Mom

Ain't no way.

I was HEATED about 10 years ago I went to one of the 'Stylists of the Stars' who charged me $385 for an install after I spent $60 on the hair. I been done with weave ever since.

I pay for stuff in cash. I just can't see me physically handing over 10 Benjamins for something that is going to last 2-3 months. My fingers would cramp up, eyes start watering, heart rate goin up... naw man, couldn't be me.

First - Let me say "WHA????"

And the bolded.... that is the biggest bunch of BS I have heard stylists say.... outrageous!

Ediese

I totally agree that these prices are ridiculous especially in this day and time. That's exactly why I can't afford to get EPRT anymore...oh well. I've also been experimenting with cheaper stylists. My next stylist only charges $70 for a full head, and she's pretty good.

myeam

I love a good looking weave, and I don't knock anyone who spends a grip on a good quality install and some good quality hair IF you can afford it. What makes no sense to me is Struggling to pay for these Luxuries! Because that's exactly what these $400 installs and $250 weaves are! It's just not necessary, and what makes it worse is when some of these "weaveologists" charge you all this money to get your hair done and they Don't Do A Good Job! I for one Do Not have it like that, but guess what? I have gotten weaves done that look Better than some of women who pay double what I do...

Hairsofab

Weave and braiding prices are totally out of control. I can't believe I used to pay 250-300 dollars every 3 months to get my hair done when I was in school. I don't even know where I got the money from for that. I've given that up at least for now. I buy one really good human hair wig for less than 200 and keep it washed and conditioned regularly. I bought a Beverly Johnson Remy human hair wig in October and it still looks brand new, actually it looks better now than when I first got it, and it cost 130 dollars. I imagine it will last for at least 6 months. I just braid down my natural hair myself. That way I can grow it out without a lot of manipulation and without a lot of cost. I don't go to the salon anymore either, I just do everything myself.

Last edited:

Covergirl5906

I agree the cost of hair is crazy! I've even noticed that the cheap beauty supply store hair has gone up too. I am too scared to try that double drawn virgin remy hair that folks are shelling out big $$$$ for, because I doubt it would match my hair texture. I recently ordered some Velvet Remy and got a good deal on ebay, and it will be a good match...

Anyway, I am glad I can do my own sew in's. I have actually paid people to do it, and had to take it out the next day and do it over myself. I am thinking about having it professionally done next month... I am feeling kind of lazy, and I like this girl's work....I do my own weaves most of the time, and her price is reasonable, so I can justify spending on this one...

locoabouthair

I can't knock anyone who spends this kind of money. I know right now for me it is out of the question. I got introduced to wigs by one of my close friends and they do the trick for me. I haven't worn any of them in awhile because they are shoulder length (no can do @work). However this thread got me to thinking that I am going to buy me a $30 wig next week, to give my natural tresses a break! :)

BlkOnyx488

I have felt this for years.
I do my own hair.
I can do braid in extentions,
micro bead extentions,
I am learning how to cornroll better so I can do a sew in.

and I make my own wigs,
here's a pic of a wig I made
Cost about 60 bucks for the hair and supplies
takes about 4 hours to make last for months

BGT

My lady charged $120, which I think is pretty reasonable compared to others in my area

yellow08

I agree the prices are crazy! When I first started getting full weaves I paid 180 every 2-3 months (it was cheaper than going to get my hair DC every 2 weeks @ $45.00 and plus the relaxer every 6-8 weeks at $70) so I was okay paying $180 but then he went up to $200, I was upset but sucked it up...

But in the summer of 08 I called to make an appointment and they informed that he went up to $220...I was like H3LL naw!!!! I went on BHM researched and figured out I could do it myself. I was so upset at him charging me $220 when he didn't shampoo or condition my hair (because I preferred to do it myself-he wasn't that gentle on my transitioning hair)!

I called my niece and asked her if she had a friend who could braid my hair for me and she had her friend braid my her for $10.00 (I gave her $20 because I felt so bad at 10.00)...I went home and re-installed my EP (took me all of 1 hour) and I was DONE!!!

So I only pay upfront for quality hair EP (around $250-$280) which I reuse for 1 year!

Hair: $280/12= $23.33 a month
Braids: $65-$150 a YEAR!!! (depends on how much I decide to pay her above $10)
or $5.42-$12.50 a month!!!

I know there are people who spend more a month on new hair products, make-up etc...

Last edited:

Solitude

This is such an interesting threads. I have a friend who gets sew-ins regularly - as in, she wears them all the time and gets them re-done at least every 2 months. She has the nerve to tell me that I spend too much money on hair stuff.

I was like, "Even if I add up every product I own, and my Belsen Hood dryer, it still won't equal the price of one of your installs with the hair." She's left me alone about my PJism since then.

I could get a steamer, a Pibbs, and every product the ladies on here rave about, along with every black hair care book, and a subscription to HT & it would still be cheaper to grow my own hair through the DIY method than it would be to wear weaves.

HOWEVER, I have worn weaves in the past & would use a weave as a protective style - I would just use cheaper human hair and an unlicensed stylist or a friend to cut my costs.

ETA: When I was in college, I started doing partial sew-ins myself. It was really easy, actually - just didn't last as long as work done by the pros.

Last edited:

soulie

I agree the prices are crazy! When I first started getting full weaves I paid 180 every 2-3 months (it was cheaper than going to get my hair DC every 2 weeks @ $45.00 and plus the relaxer every 6-8 weeks at $70) so I was okay paying $180 but then he went up to $200, I was upset but sucked it up...

But in the summer of 08 I called to make an appointment and they informed that he went up to $220...I was like H3LL naw!!!! I went on BHM researched and figured out I could do it myself. I was so upset at him charging me $220 when he didn't shampoo or condition my hair (because I preferred to do it myself-he wasn't that gentle on my transitioning hair)!

I called my niece and asked her if she had a friend who could braid my hair for me and she had her friend braid my her for $10.00 (I gave her $20 because I felt so bad at 10.00)...I went home and re-installed my EP (took me all of 1 hour) and I was DONE!!!

So I only pay upfront for quality hair EP (around $250-$280) which I reuse for 1 year!

Hair: $280/12= $23.33 a month
Braids: $65-$150 a YEAR!!! (depends on how much I decide to pay her above $10)
or $5.42-$12.50 a month!!!

I know there are people who spend more a month on new hair products, make-up etc...

*waving* Hi Yellow!! Yes, EP is the way to go!!!

alopeciagrl

I really don't mind paying my stylist for her hard work but I did pout when it was time for me to pay for the hair. And no I'm not buying any $100 FAKE hair when it's coming out anyway in a couple of months.

loved

There is a well known weaveologist in the DC area that I would like to visit, especially since she appears to be into caring for the hair under the weave, but I can't wrap my mind around the price. EP hair is worth the money. I am still using EPRT hair I purchased 2 years ago.

My earlier post is 2 years old and I'm still using the same EP closure and hair so it is worth the price & convenience to me. I'm a self installer so I don't have that cost. I would like to go to a top installer one time so that I could see the technique, but after that I'd probably go back to doing it myself.

Last edited:

taz007

Wow, I am just AMAZED at what can be done with weaves these days!

Thanks JamaicaLovely, for the info on closures. I had no idea what that was either.

bellezanegra826

I posted this in the weave forum on BHM. I wanted to see what you guys thought about this as well.

Hi guys,

This may be a kind of a rant but I am going to get my hair done and after I added up the costs of the hair, closure and install, I figured I may as well have purchased a high quality lace front. At least I would have something tangiable. Think about it. Say you were purchasing EP hair:

Closure:$350
Wefts:$300
Install:$200 and (for some stylist it can be $325 and up)

TOTAL $850!!!!!! (If you go to a cheap stylist)
TOTAL $1000!!!! (iF you go to a really expensive stylist)

Nice lace front wig from California Lace Wigs or Xquisite: $400
Install:Free cause you do it yourself
Glue:$15

TOTAL:$415

Also, the lace front is a one time investmant while you will have to pay for the installs over and over. So you could have bought 1 $300 dollar lace front from a chinese vendor for every install of weave that you pay for. So lacefronts are also a better value.

I love me some extensions plus and I understad why their hair is so expensive and their lacefronts cost even more but do you think the price of hair and installs is getting ridiculous? Because seriously, the only reason I am not purchasing a lacefront is because I am scared of installing it. If they came up with Lace Fronts For Dummies, Weave vendors and Weaveologists may go out of business.

I think both the price of the weave and the price of the lace fronts you quoted are both ridiculous. you can find a chinese vendor to make a lace front for you for less than $300. I have a virgin, silk top 18" unit that cost much less than $300 even after shipping. I would shop around for another weavologist and/or another lace front vendor.

ajoyfuljoy

I just got my first sew in. 160 for the hair and 100 for the install.

I didn't like it, the "high-quality hair" began to look funny after three days. It was also too tight for me (I didn't notice this until after a couple of days). I took it out after two weeks.

That could have bought me 8 half wigs/inexpensive but nice looking full wigs.

Lesson learned. Never again!

Kerryann

well i will take my butt to lugos get 10 ounces of spanish wave hair so i can wear it str8 or curly that hair is the bomb because it will last you for months on months i still have my hair from last summer im tempted to put it in again. but its 280 i paid for the hair and 100 to install

QueenHav

Personally, I'd say it depends on your lifestyle. Several of my side hustles DEPEND HEAVILY on my physical appearance. If I'm getting paid $50 per hour to show up to a gig I work 6 nights a month, I feel like I deserve to spend as much money on my hair that I can afford. And while I don't have the everything that I bolded in the quoted post, I am a Hair Junkie and will happily pay the cost.

Seriously folks, we all have products that we love and refuse to compromise on style, substance and quality. Weave should be no different.

I didn't mean to be so harsh, but those prices blow my MIND. Because here I was thinking that the lacefronts were the most expensive thing you could get! I mean, really! It is mind-boggling that so many (non-rich & non-famous) women would spend that much money on fake hair or a hairstyle.

I just can't imagine what would necessitate spending that much. The lacefronts look just as good. Cheaper weave looks good too, and chances are everyone knows it's a weave anyway. You can wear a cheaper weave and not look broke-down. The plain old sew-ins look pretty darn good to me.

Maybe if you are getting it done once for your wedding or maybe even prom or some extra-special occassion, I can see that. But to spend this much money on a regular basis-- be it every 3 months, every 6 months... there's no way I could ever do it personally, unless I had a whole lot of money and a 100% paid-for house and no loans, no worries, or no debt of any kind. If that's you, then more power to you. Otherwise... I do not get it.

cicilypayne

I love this thread I usually spend about $375 to $425 on the hair and my hair stylist has charged me anywhere from $330 to $380. I tip the shampoo girl $20.00 because she has to take out my previous install and relaxed my hair. I tip my stylist 10%. :wallbash: Sick of it I'm telling you..so now I'm rocking wigs and half wigs and talking myself into buying a lace wig. Funny thing is I've been spending big buck getting my hair done for 3 years..and just like that I started wearing synthetic half wigs.. and now I'm just like ...what was I thinking??/:lachen::lachen:

addaboutmyhair

Everybody who does their own sew ins, how did you start? I just want to learn how to add in a few tracks! I used to cornrow my girl's hair in high school, like 7 years ago, but how do you do your own head?

jada1111

WOW. I had no idea that hair costs this much.

Neither did I. I haven't put a weave in my hair in YEARS.

Not saying I wouldn't want to, but if I'm going to be spending crazy money on it, then it MUST look like it's growing out of my head and be my current hair texture as is.

I remember bank in '01, I went to Khamit Kinks in Manhattan and spent $500 on both hair and installation. I was pissed, because the girl left my hair out in the front. For what???!! At $500 a pop, you shouldn't have to leave hair out. Hell, I couldda did that mess my damn self.

All she did was cornrow all the way around, then sewed the hair onto it.

I only left it in for about a month anyway. Just wanted to see how I would look with a full head of natural hair. I was transitioning at the time.

doll-baby

Heck yeah ! Which is one of the reasons why I started my mission to grow my own 12 inch "yacky" # 2 from my scalp !

bluediamond0829

I think sometimes the prices are ridiculous and steep especially on my income. Thats another reason why i stopped getting weaves done but i also wanted to learn how to take care of my own hair.

Not saying I wont go back to getting weaves but for now I love having my own hair out and being able to see what works for my hair.

I love EP hair I havent tried any other hair and I still have alot to use so I dont think i'll be buying any new hair from any vendors. Another one i wanted to try was either Indique or Haleys. But for some reason when i go to their website and start looking to buy it i go back to EP. So i have like maybe a couple of ounces left for more installs just in case i get the weave fever back.

My opinion is i want to look good so i want the best. It took me a very long time to find a weave stylist that could offer me what i wanted. So i think that the prices are worth it. I love the hair i buy because it is reusable. And plus i get my money worth if i keep the weave in for 2 to 3 months and plus a break of causing damage to my own hair.