Weave Prices-Are vendors and weavologist getting a little ridiculous?

Are Weave Prices Getting Ridiculous?

• Total voters

Mortons

I've never paid over $180 for hair plus the install. Cheap does not necessarily mean they dont know what they are doing. I bought the hair for around $85 and paid the stylist $90. They have all lasted for 2 months at least.

naturalmanenyc

Funny that this is bumped. I am having my crochet braids (curly twists) installed for the second time on Saturday. I paid $155 + $20 for tips and that style lasted 9 weeks. It still looked good too and could have lasted longer. Ladies at the office even said (unprompted) that it looked like I had a new install when I saw them in week 8.:grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZJ2pzKSLHA

I am planning to keep this next set of curly twists in for 12 weeks. If I can pull this off for the rest of 2010, keeping them in for 12 weeks at a time, I will have an entire year of braids installed for about the price of one of my prior sew-in weave installs.

Keeping your hair up, weave or your own hair, is expensive if you cannot DIY.

I am transitioning to natural after DH asked me to stop weaving about a year ago. I am sure it was not a financial decision for him since he never knew how I paid for my weaves. Once I sat down and added up what I was paying for weaves, it was an easy decision to stop. My last weave install (over 1 year ago) was about $80 (a friend did it) and for the first time ever I used BSS hair (about $60).

Back when I was having my weaves done at the salon, I was spending a ridiculous amount of money. I can see how the hair industry reached $10 billion in annual sales.

I started with sew-ins
$200 install (every 12 weeks)
$196 wefted hair - Adorable Spanish Wavy #2 & #4 mixed with streaks of #8 every 2 inches on thin wefts
$35 W & S every 2 weeks (6 times per install)
$75 relaxer every 12 weeks
-------------------------------
$681 every 12 weeks
I was able to reuse the wefts on two different installs so I saved about $400.

Then I found out about strand by strand aka fusion weave
$500 install (every 12 weeks)
$180 bulk hair - Adorable Spanish Wavy 6 ounces #2 & #4 mixed 2 ounces streaks in #8
$35 W & S every 2 weeks (6 times per install)
$75 relaxer every 12 weeks
-------------------------------
$965 every 12 weeks (bulk hair was not reusable)

I have not invested in a real lace front but have started to do my own hair 99% of the time (I can't cut on my own) and I am also using wigs.

I don't intend to EVER have a weave installed again....since I can just buy a wig that looks great for well under $100.

Last edited:

JJamiah

Those prices are rediculous, sorry, I can wear my own hair for all of that and buy products like the junkie I am for over a year!

Anywho, I love Lacefronts and will continue to rock Lace Fronts and Half wigs!

MaintaintheSexy

My cousin paid $2,000 for her weave. The process is called Victoria Strands. She explained the process to me but it didn't sound like a complicated process. I refuse to pay $2000 for a weave. To me, healthy, long hair that grows from my scalp, is priceless.

Last edited:

mEmYSELFaNDj

Yes weave hair and install prices are stupid ridiculous. Glad im a self installer and the indian hair I get usually last me at the least 1 year. If you take care of it, you definitely get your moneys worth from buying the more expensive indian hair. I've had some hair that lasted me, numerous installs and over 3 years.

lluvyanna

My cousin paid $2,000 for her weave. The process is called Victoria Strands. She explained the process to me but it didn't sound like a complicated process. I refuse to pay $2000 for a weave. To me, healthy, long hair that grows from my scalp, is priceless.
yes i heard of this and i had it done too. it gets lose after six weeks and u have to go back and have it tightend which in turns makes the threded strand look thicker bcus she uses more thread to tighten it up she also relaxes ur hair again in this 6 weeks and doesnt put anything on the hair to stop overlapping just on the scalp and when ur nappy nasty weave is tore up in a mere few more weeks she rips it from ur head not gently either. her principle is good and the weaves look real but its not worth the damage. i went some were else in queens. they do the same for less $$ and less damage.

soldierforhair

FOR ME......Weave was kind of like crack. My beautician was the best and when I took it out I went right back because I felt lost without my weave sewn-in my hair after a couple of years of doing it. I would pay the price because I had to have it.

I am so happy I am on the Healthy Hair Care Journey now though. You have no idea.

NitaChantell

Hold up hold up hold up hold up....

WHAT kind of hair are y'all buying for these prices? And how many packs? And why is the closure a separate cost??

Ehhhh. I just got my hair done and I payed less than 200 total. I got 2 packs of 14inch human hair (Janet), 1 pack of 12inch(Janet), one pack of 10inch(Outre) and one 8inch(Outre). And my friend (who's self taught) did it for 40$.

Even if I did get it done at a salon, it would be about 200 for the install, and about 110 for the hair, so that's 310$ total.

I do not buy Remy...I might once I start doing sew ins, but I just do quick weaves for now, and I'll be da&^%d if someone puts glue on 85$+ a pack hair.

ThatJerseyGirl

I have been using Extensions Plus hair for years. I just recently purchased 6oz (2packs of 16 in Zig Zag curly. Keep in mind I reuse the hair for up to a year and have about 12 ozs in my closet. I love it.

I would not be caught dead going into a BS store to even look at hair. And when I do go they always ask "where do you get your hair" and i never tell them.

I forgot to mention that I have the custom Italian curly and its the best, but I have an account with them so when I do order (which won't be for another 2 years, maybe), I just send them an email.

Best investment made.

FearlessNik

I think they are. But for some things you get what you pay for. Sorry, but IMHO most BSS hair ends up looking like a birds nest. Specifically at the back part of the neck regardless of the length. I just made my first expensive purchase of hair from Halley's Curls. I bought 1 14" for about $110, 1 16" for about $120, and 1 silk closure for $136. When I got the hair it looked like it would be too thin. I'm not looking for a Beyonce look or anything. I went ahead and ordered 1 18" for $124. I now have all the hair (12 ounces plus 1 closure). I washed it and it's a lot fuller that I originally thought. I haven't installed it yet, but I doubt I will use all of it in one install. So in the end I paid about $500 for the hair. The hair SHOULD last through 4-6 installs of wearing it for 2-3 months at a time. This hair is way better than the BSS hair (I'm speaking in general of remy and virgin hair). When I washed it using a wide tooth comb I had NO tangles and I lost exactly TWO strands of hair (yes I was looking specifically for hair that fell out). For me that makes it worth it. I have seen some VERY good installs with BSS hair. But if you're able to upgrade I would suggest it.

Tiye

I don't pay a lot for weave hair but I think in the end it comes down to how much you want to spend. I've used decent quality private vendor hair, and I've used bss hair that was also pretty well behaved, low shed, even no shed and no birds nest. You'd be surprised how well behaved some affordable hair can be. I've had some bss hair that was bad out of the pack or started out lovely and looked horrible the next week - but that's a minority of my purchase experiences. I experimented and learned how to shop. If you're a hard core enthusiast who likes to color or perm the hair yourself, then you probably want the hair as close to the condition it came off the donor's head as possible. If you're a general consumer who just wants to wear the hair then that's not as big of an issue.

So imo if you want to pay more and you can well afford it then you should of course do it. But don't feel that you have to spent the mortgage/rent or the car payment on hair coz it's not necessary for a good look.

beauti

yall are crazy spending all this money on weave!!! DIY!!!! I used to do the same thing until one day i was like damn i could've paid this bill off, bought some shoes, etc with that money! so I went to youtube and spent the day watching howto vids. been doing my own installs ever since!! I save $300 doing it myself, you can to!!! if you're determined enough, and tired enough of wasting your money, you'll learn to do it!!! these salons will rob you blind for something you can easily do!

MsSanz92

I on average am only paying ~ $300 on sew ins $200 on that on hair that I reuse so I'm only paying a full $300 once. The other $100 is for the install $80 is the actual price an $15-$20 for tip. I would suggest to ditch these outlandish places who charge an arm and a leg for weaves and just pay someone to get it installed. The place I go is a braiding shop so I don't get my hair styled but I usually just style it at home to my own preference which is better for me. I think most stylists charge so much because you're not actually paying for the install but rather the service of getting it cut and styled.

Sade'

I have been using Extensions Plus hair for years. I just recently purchased 6oz (2packs of 16 in Zig Zag curly. Keep in mind I reuse the hair for up to a year and have about 12 ozs in my closet. I love it.

I would not be caught dead going into a BS store to even look at hair. And when I do go they always ask "where do you get your hair" and i never tell them.

I forgot to mention that I have the custom Italian curly and its the best, but I have an account with them so when I do order (which won't be for another 2 years, maybe), I just send them an email.

Best investment made.

ThatJerseyGirl I agree with u. I'm not purchasing BSS hair. EP is by far the best. Tell me...how does that EP ZZ Curly blend with natural hair?
Also I don't think it's crazy to pay for what you want. I'm not about to sit around sewing my own hair in. I just don't want to do that. I have the $$ and I don't mind spending it to have the service done for me. IMO it's all about quality and convenience.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

kibbles318

I guess yall can tell I love talking about weaves:yep:

Closures are hairpieces installed in front so you can hair none of your real hair exposed. Here is a link to one of the best weaveologists in ATL (Amandita:yep:) who gives more explanation on installation and sample pics:http://public.fotki.com/amandita-bhm2/

I know...I've heard them too. I currently have Belle Noir installed and it's just fine. Pics in fotki.

I believe Laniks is working on her website, you have to email her to order. http://public.fotki.com/lanikshair/

I agree, I've heard some negative responses on Halleys, not on Laniks. < particularly on BHM. However, IMO the good comments far exceed the bad ones for Halleys. I don't always rely on comments I read. I don't believe any vendor has a 100% satisfaction rate. So, I like to try it out for myself before I say a vendor is bad or not. Some people say hair is bad because they don't know how to take care of it or use cheapy products on it. Quality hair needs quality care and products. Also, some hair stylists are not experienced with installation of certain hair, so if the installation is jacked up and the hair is tangly.

Another hair that I like that some girls don't like is Indique. You know I ignored all the bad comments on this hair and tried it out the Indique Curly for myself when they had the BOGO sale. I absolutely loved this hair!!!!! I can't wait to get some more.

Yep, your best bet is EP, but check around to see if anyone is selling it or wait for EP to have a sale. The economy hit these vendors as well, they are more pressured these days to compete with each other.

Senghori Shells is a good brand and wayyy cheaper than EP.... Its the best hair I have used.

diadall

What is a weft and a closure? Is a weft like when I have ripples in my hair?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SGH-T959V

kibbles318

What is a weft and a closure? Is a weft like when I have ripples in my hair?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SGH-T959V

Weft is AKA extensions...tracks, hair peice...

Closure is like a small lace front that allows you to have a more realistic full (no hair left out) sew in.

My Friend

When I pay for professional installation it is because I want to be pampered. Yes, I can install, relax, braid, roller set, and flat iron my hair but sometimes I want someone else to do it :yep:

We could choose not eat out, fix our own flat tires, give ourselves oil changes and tune ups, make our own make up, do our own nails, cut off $200+ cable, etc. I think it's what YOU want to spend your money on, NOT if someone should lower their price.

The other night at dinner we left a $40 tip for the waitress. We were there just about under 2 hours. The waitress was working about 5 tables. I'm willing to guess that waitress made $300 in tips in that 2 hour time frame. This was a UE restaurant so all she did was take our order, asked us twice if we needed anything, and brought the check at the end. So, she made $150 an hour:yep:

EbonyCPrincess

Well, you have to factor in the re-usability too, which I'm sure somebody probably brought up in this thread (I didn't read thru the whole thing). Plus if you make or purchase a u-part, there is no "stylist" - you easily apply and style it yourself. I do think the prices keep going up, but if you truly use your hair over and over then it isn't so outrageous.

SeeLexus

U.part wigs are the most cost effective new thing...I picked this.one up for 200 from exotichairla.com just clip it in and curl lol

.facebook_2035576368.jpg

Sade'

Is purchasing Arjuni hair still a difficult & $$ process??

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

kibbles318

Sade' said:
kibbles318 It get's very humid where I am, how does it hold up in the summer? Are you still wearing it?
Do you have an album or anything with pics?

It's holds up very well. I wore the hair on and off from July last year to April this year. I only bought another brand because I wanted a wavy texture and they don't sell wavy. I'm on a break from sew ins right now. I posted a few pics in the Senghori Shells thread but I think I have more in my camera.