what has your new legnth brought to you?

How has having longer hair affected you

• boosted my confidence/self esteem

Votes: 24 12.0%
  • gives me more attention

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • I feel more feminine/sexy

Votes: 32 16.0%
  • all of the above

Votes: 90 45.0%
  • no difference

Votes: 38 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lovely008

It makes me feel more feminine when it's down but that usually only happens when I'm at home. I really do enjoy seeing it looking healthy and shiny. My hair is naturally jet black so when it's healthy, my hair is what I admire most about myself physically. Doesn't matter if it's tied back or worn down (I actually prefer wearing my hair up).

I do have a huge head also and big, thick hair makes me feel more confident than just long hair. Long and thick is the best of both worlds though :D

Last edited:

Jazala

I see what all of you are saying. But, I think many of you misunderstood what I was saying. Sure, a new pair of shoes, a cute outfit, etc., can enhance what we feel about ourselves. But, does it end when you take them off? Do you feel the same without them on?

If I'm dressed in old sweats bumming around the house, I don't feel special about what I'm wearing.:nono:

I've lurked a long time before I responded to posts. I've read many posts that implied that they wouldn't feel beautiful or special without the length. THAT was what I was referring to.
Girrrrl! If you would have seen my nest before I started taking care of it you would understand why I feel special about my hair now! lol I have come a loooong way and I see there are quite a few that have as well.

To be completely honest, I do feel more special the longer it gets because it's like I'm defying all the misconceptions about type 4 hair and what we're capable of achieving with our own strands. When I first joined here I didn't completely believe that my hair would even get to APL but since I didn't have anything to lose by trying I started my hair journey and now I'm proving MYSELF wrong. :lachen:

AND... everyday I go to work and see ladies weaved up, fried, dyed and layed to the side and I'm grateful that I have found LHCF. I try to help all of them that are open to suggestions.

There were a few times I felt special about my hair when it was shorter, like when I got a really nice haircut by an excellent stylist (this happened a few times but it gets expensive to maintain) and one time I bought this short curly wig and it was a big hit with everyone who saw me.. they thought it was my real hair. :giggle:

caribeandiva

Human being
Achieving the impossible (i.e. black women growing their REAL hair long) is a self esteem boost for me because I've never been able to do that before in my life.

LadyPaniolo

My sources of self esteem include:
- I have repeatedly tested off the charts in standardized tests, horsewhipping white children who have had EVERY advantage in life

- I can take a handful of garden seeds that cost me $1... and turn it into bushels and bushels of organic food to feed my family.

- I taught myself Spanish to fluency

- I am a National Merit Commended Scholar :bookworm:

- I'm a good mom :babyg: :babyb:

- I have struggled to overcome a crippling math phobia and am now performing MUCH better in that area

- I have dedicated my effort, energy and time to tackling the seemingly impossible question of how to grow type 4 hair long and healthy. Far from *desiring* attention because of my long hair, I am now *free* from the attention having plucked up hair brought. I no longer have people breaking their backs and bending over backwards to come harass and abuse me over the state of my hair. Now people look at my hair and all there is... is SILENCE. :yep:

Just wanted to clarify, for myself. Now as for everyone else, YMMV.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
I chopped off my SL relaxed hair down to a seriously short TWA 3 years ago. I had faith that I could grow my hair longer, stronger and healthier. Now that my hair is getting pretty long (though nowhere near my goal of classic length), I feel proud of myself that I have done this... I definitely feel more feminine too.

Just today as I was flat ironing my hair for the pic in my siggy, I was remembering when my hair used to look so awful... I dreaded going anywhere that I knew black folks would be because people would literally stop a car to tell me what a HAM I looked. :nono: Girls in my middle school would be SO cruel to me... pulling out all the stops to clown me in front of everyone about my hair. Nevermind the fact that I had a banging body and a WAY prettier face than them, and that I was way smarter as well. My hair was a mess and they had to make sure I never spent any time feeling like a human being because of it. :nono: I really WISH I could track those pigeons down right now and do the hair flip of death in their faces! :gorgeous:

So to get sidetracked, lol... yeah. I like my current length.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I friggin' love this entire story ... especially the bolded!!

Shananyganz

I see what all of you are saying. But, I think many of you misunderstood what I was saying. Sure, a new pair of shoes, a cute outfit, etc., can enhance what we feel about ourselves. But, does it end when you take them off? Do you feel the same without them on? I've lurked a long time before I responded to posts. I've read many posts that implied that they wouldn't feel beautiful or special without the length. THAT was what I was referring to.

I understand what you intended to convey and I agree; feeling as if long(er) hair is the end all, be all to self-esteem is a misconstrued perception of self-worth if nothing more. For some, the reasoning behind what makes having long(er) hair is deeper than length to toss and flip (as eloquently explained by Paniolo) but...for others it just isn't that deep. For some hair and the length thereof, is a direct correlation to how they feel about/see themselves and that, IMHO is a personal issue and is a bit much. ANY time you HAVE to look outside of self for validation or worth, is a problem...IMHO.

Speaking to shoes, after I take them off, I am STILL me. As I explained, a great pair of shoes makes me feel some kind of way. If we want to go deeper than just the style or brand of shoe, we can. I am tall, skinny, and dark skinned...I was made fun of for all those things at one point in life. With time, I accepted and LOVED THEM ALL. So when I put on my 5" heels and clock in well over 6 ft, its like laughing in the face of all that. Conversely, my chuck game is sick, so either way, I walk like I know who I am..cause having put in the effort to learn me, I KNOW me. I don't harbor those ill memories, it is what it is..kids/adults can be cruel..blah blah. I say that to say I get both sides: I can understand why some feel a boost in esteem with having long(er) hair and I will not understand those who feel that length is a direct correlation to self.

Last edited:

Ediese

I see what all of you are saying. But, I think many of you misunderstood what I was saying. Sure, a new pair of shoes, a cute outfit, etc., can enhance what we feel about ourselves. But, does it end when you take them off? Do you feel the same without them on? I've lurked a long time before I responded to posts. I've read many posts that implied that they wouldn't feel beautiful or special without the length. THAT was what I was referring to.

I understand both sides of this argument. I totally get what you're saying. If someone doesn't feel as beautiful without the long hair, that's not very healthy. It's similiar to men not being as attracted to you if you decide to cut your WL hair or gain 30 exra lbs. On the other hand, I totally understand what the ladies are saying. For those of us that feel beautiful regardless, that extra bit of length does help elevate our esteem to a whole other level.

indarican

For the ladies who voted and will vote...how long was your hair when you first started out & how long is it now?
My hair is sl now and when i started it was the same length, but its much much healthier. I actually am proud when my SO smooths my hair back, its so much softer and mosturized.

brucebettye

The ability to bun my hair. Works wonders since I go to the gym 5 days a week. I need to work on my body since I figured how to take care of my hair.

Lita

My new length has brought me...More cost for Dc's,Detangling sulfate poos & Moisturizing leave-ins.$$$$$

Happy Hair Growing!

sweetgal

My sources of self esteem include:
- I have repeatedly tested off the charts in standardized tests, horsewhipping white children who have had EVERY advantage in life

- I can take a handful of garden seeds that cost me $1... and turn it into bushels and bushels of organic food to feed my family.

- I taught myself Spanish to fluency

- I am a National Merit Commended Scholar :bookworm:

- I'm a good mom :babyg: :babyb:

- I have struggled to overcome a crippling math phobia and am now performing MUCH better in that area

- I have dedicated my effort, energy and time to tackling the seemingly impossible question of how to grow type 4 hair long and healthy. Far from *desiring* attention because of my long hair, I am now *free* from the attention having plucked up hair brought. I no longer have people breaking their backs and bending over backwards to come harass and abuse me over the state of my hair. Now people look at my hair and all there is... is SILENCE. :yep:

Just wanted to clarify, for myself. Now as for everyone else, YMMV.

I like this :lachen: