What Mistakes Did You Make in 2009?

Robin41

Any hair regrets from 2009? I made a critical mistake this summer in coloring my relaxed hair with a permanent highlighter and got MAJOR breakage! It's just starting to grow back in healthy (with the use of Wild Growth Oil and Giovanni Reconstructor) but I will never make that mistake again. Lesson learned: my hair does not like permanent dye at all.

Anybody make any major boo-boos this year that you can warn us NOT to do?

dicapr

I didn't trust my gut. I let a stylist I was feeling usure about touch up my texlaxed hair. She proceeded to pull through the relaxer to the ends on hair that was texlaxed AND colored. My hair felt like straw when she finished and started to drop soon after. If had trusted my gut I would have easily made APL this year and would be headed to BSL. Instead, I am trying to do a no chop transition and make APL for the 3rd time in 2 years.

charmtreese

My 24 week stretch was a mistake. I have stretched for longer, but this time I ended up getting some breakage. NO more LONG stretches in 2010!!

JJamiah

My mistake was not washing my hair out while on vacation from the chlorine, using MT in my hair when my hair was already balanced my hair broke off and I lost length and thickness!

2010 I am going to continue my current regimen and continue to trust my heart and listen to my hair. :)

Last edited:

SherylsTresses

1. Taking too long to try Silicon Mix product line :lick:
2. Trying to hang onto overprocessed hair -- had to blunt cut :nono:
3. Not using Roux Porosity Control as instructed

Last edited:

Eritreladiee

My mistake was getting a "trim" overseas, where the "stylist" pretended like she understood the instructions I gave her. I told her people usually straighten my hair for a trim, but she can cut it curly hair if she knows how. She said "yes." I told her I wanted bangs and indicated where I wanted them, she said "yes"

I sat back reading a magazine, and she ended up cutting my bangs and using that as the length/basis to cut the rest of my hair... and on top of that my hair was sooooo uneven. I got over the shortness, but when I went home and flat-ironed it was disastrous. I went back to the salon a total *****, and very vocal (American style, in the Middle East lol) I got my hair fixed (somewhat) and free products (my hair was that bad)

Not everyone who says "yes" undertsands what your saying. Also, watch people like a hawk. And don't give people any leeway, if you get something done a certain way- tell them to do it that way (ex. i shouldn't of taken the risk and told her she had to trim it straight)

Highly Favored8

26 week stretch was a mistake. Not leaving my stylist sooner. I left her after the stretch. I had grown my hair to APL and then had to cut it back to NL. that was back in September. Ever since I switched stylists. My hair has been doing very well.

LushLox

Texlaxing. This just didn't work for me as I ended up just relaxing more often and I couldn't deal with the different textures. I'll just continue my regular relaxing routine with long stretches.

locabouthair

Taking low manipulation too far by not combing my hair for two weeks while I was wearing a wig. I got so many tangles and knots. Lost A LOT of hair. I think I may need to cut it again:perplexed

And brushing ym edges to make them sleek when I was wearing my half wig. Also not switching when I was using the bobby clips to secure the wig. I think my hairline is starting to recede:sad: It looks full for the most part but my left temple was sore and a small part of it is rubbed out. I hope it grows back.

LoveLiLi

Getting too many trims.

I always thought of myself as someone who gets trims infrequently, but now that I look back I tend to get my hair trimmed on a pretty regular schedule. I'm not trimming until I reach my next goal.

flowinlocks

Trying to stretch my relaxers :nono: This didn't work for me, even with low manipulation,protein, moisture,co washing, etc. I had horrible shedding, knots, and some breakage. I'll stick to my regular relaxing schedule from now on.

Nayna

Unbothered
Wearing my hair pushed back too often. If you're not careful you can do damage to your edges. I saw them getting lighter so I stopped sliding my headband against them.

vkb247

1. Took too long to start working with my hair in sections. My hair is not hard to detangle but I have a lot of it and as it is growing longer I need to realize it is also getting older and I need to be more gentle.

2. Not babying my ends enough.
I overcame dryness but I need to pay more attention to moisturizing and sealing my ends even though they don't feel dry to avoid retention issues.

3. Trying to straighten my hair myself in a country with regular 60% + humidity.
I damaged my overprocessed ends during a 3 hour, extremely frustrating, and unsuccessful :walbash: straightening session. I especially don't think that blow drying is for me to do at home. I am definietely going to airdry then flat iron/hot comb. Once I get that down I might try again with another method.

4. Using my denman to make a puff almost every day
Not a big deal but I am trying to use combs/brushes even less. I bought a extra stiff boar bristle brush for the first time.

locabouthair

Wearing my hair pushed back too often. If you're not careful you can do damage to your edges. I saw them getting lighter so I stopped sliding my headband against them.

The SAME thing is happening to me. MY hair line still looks full for the most part but it looks a little thinner at the temples. I hope it grows back:sad:

LovelyRo

I didn't protective style or moisturize enough!

Also... texlaxing isn't for everyone... especially if your hair is HIGHLY textured and you like straight styles.... I learned that the hard way!

LoveLongLocks

I made the mistake of going longer without Deep Conditioning on a regular basis, and rushing through my detangling sessions combing (wide tooth) on dry hair - this is a :nono: for me. Also, I have been trying new things that work for others - only to find out that this doesn't work for me :wallbash:.
Since, I have gone back to my basic reggie' - deep condition with every wash, detangle using my fingers and water (this works for me and I only lose a few strands), and just sticking to what has always worked for me :yep:...no more experimenting on my hair and routine:rolleyes:!

♥Lamaravilla♥

Relaxing my hair again after seven years of being natural then just cutting it all off 3 months later. It's growing back nicely though, next time I feel for a change I think I'll just weave it up :lol:

jetbeauty09

Great thread. I would have to say trying to texlax my hair on the first day of 2009! On 1/2/09 I got a sewin and knew I was going to transition again. Now I’m almost 1 year relaxer free. I can’t wait to see how my hair flourishes in 2010!

Lesson: Never make any major hair decisions while PMSing.:perplexed

Bluetopia

Protein! :wallbash:

I texturized with Phyto and didn't realize that it would make me protein sensitive :perplexed.....so then i proceeded to use aveda damage remedy (protein), cantu shea butter shampoo (protein), mega tek (protein), and coconut oil (protein sealant) and ended up with dry, knotted up, stiff dehydrated hair that tends to loc up when I'm not careful.

It took me a while to not only figure out the problem, but also which products to eliminate (the coconut oil was the last to go cause i had no idea an oil could be a co-conspirator in my protein overload)

In 2010....no more Phyto!

My next texturizer will be with Mizani Butter Blends for Fine hair since that is mild and moisturizing.....and I will also focus heavily on keep my strands hydrated and healthy. 2009 was a huge lesson in what not to do and next year will be that much greater because of it :grin:

JerriBlank

Texturizing my hair when I knew I was ready to go natural. I just wasted what could have been progress. Also, not rocking my twa sooner. I have not seen even one other chick with a twa,and even with the negative comments and such,i realized that I don't care one iota. It doesn't even make me mad. This is me. If you want to have an aneurysm trying to figure out why I "would do something like this",go right ahead. I'm good. *pats curly fro*

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Mine was Buying Waaayyy too many products....:nono:especially since I only do my hair once a week.:blush:

In 2010, I will be Shopping My Stash and Using up all the things I have Acquired in 2009.:yep:

Optimus_Prime

Long stretches
Not detangling properly and letting myself get knots

This is EXACTLY what I had to learn.
In 2010, I will relax every 8-10 weeks, nothing longer unless circumstances prohibit me from relaxing. I will also use a wide tooth comb, or my denman at least once every 2 days to avoid shedded hair wrapping around normal hair and making little balls of knots.
Though I will continue to wear buns, I will keep my hair straight and I may not airdry much anymore (roller sets under my hooded dryer from now on).

Robin41

Ooooh, I'm so sorry to hear about all the setbacks we've had but sharing our stories really does help us learn from each other. Thanks everyone!