12 inches in 12 months - 2014

candie19

Re: 12 inches in 12 months - 2013

She didn't cut it right? I hope you were able to walk out without her going to town

No, I would not let her cut it. I guess I'm just pissed because this stylist knows I'm trying to grow my hair. I just want an advocate for long hair not an ax cutter. I love how she relaxes my hair but I'm not with the "trimming" nonsense.

Last edited:

faithVA

I'm back sort of :lol: I am going to ease back into it for the next month. I won't be doing as much before.
For now I am going to focus on taking my vitamins, drinking water, getting rest and using whatever topical hair treatment scheduled for the week. I hope to ease back into exercising some time this month. My hair is at standstill for now.

Jewell

I'm back sort of :lol: I am going to ease back into it for the next month. I won't be doing as much before.
For now I am going to focus on taking my vitamins, drinking water, getting rest and using whatever topical hair treatment scheduled for the week. I hope to ease back into exercising some time this month. My hair is at standstill for now.

faithVA

Welcome back! I pray your mom is doing better. Don't feel bad...those things you listed are what I mainly manage to do consistently...get rest, drink plenty of water, apply a growth aid every other day or so to my scalp, and take my vits. At least there is consistency in those things! Do the best you can--that's really all one can do! :yep:

I've been trying to add in other things like scalp massages and inversion, working out, but thus far I have not made them consistent parts of my regimen due to regular fatigue and being busy, ah excuses, excuses. I have, however been drinking smoothies with broccoli sprouts and fresh fruit added. I'll keep working on the other things!

Last edited:

Jewell

candie19 I think it is ingrained in them in cosmetology school or something that they can't complete a service without offering a trim or cut. It's some ridiculous b.s. though, and that excessive yearning they have to cut is why I stopped going to salons PERIOD 6-7 years ago. I would never be near HL if I hadn't.

Then, a lot of them try to justify wanting to cut saying long, all one length hair has "no movement, no style," or "you can't do anything with it." Yeah well I can do a lot more with near HL hair than that little neck length bob I see a lot of stylists around here rocking, major side eye on that one...same neck length hair for years and years, yet you know what is best for long hair. OOOOKKAAAYYY, right.

I realize you are limited in the Middle East, otherwise I would suggest going completely DIY if you really want to gain and KEEP your length. Most stylists will chop it off every time. A 4" cut is not a trim and once it's gone, it's gone...they know that, and purposely cut off more than you desire most times. I boycott them whenever possible due to how much they unnecessarily cut hair.

Really, I don't trust anyone to trim my hair...so I taught myself to do it years ago when I first joined this board...back then I had a Spanish lady at work who had TL hair so I trusted her to only trim 1/2" if I asked for 1". Since then, I have done my own BC's and trims when needed. I'm on a personal no-trim challenge for a while though...my last trim was 1/2" to rid myself of SSK's June 2012. As long as there's no damage present, I'll let it keep growing.

Last edited:

Jewell

llan

GURL moisture, moisture, and some protein. I use a LOT of conditioner...my ratio is like 80% conditioner to 20% shampoo/diluted shampoo in a given month. I stopped using direct heat like flat-irons, stopped roller setting, started major protective styling about 2005. I realized I was having to trim a lot due to wearing my hair down all the time, wrapping my hair old school style (caused thinning edges and fraying ends), flat-ironing, going to the salon (where trims were often pushed on me unnecessarily), and frequent relaxing.

I started stretching my relaxers, conditioning more and more, air-drying, and protective styling until it became habit. I make sure to really put a good moisturizer on the edges and last 8-10 inches of my hair. I seal it with an oil, usually coconut, soybean, avocado, or grapeseed oil...then top the oil with a pomade (grease), or a heavy serum. Then, I wear my hair up until the next wash. Usually a bun or twisted up and secured with a clip. Due to the harsh sun, I'm bunning the most so my ends aren't literally being fried in the sun since the ends stick out at the top when it is twisted up and clipped.

I PS like 95% of the time for convenience, preserving my ends, and also because my hair is really hot to wear down. In summer, it feels like a wool blanket on my back. That's really it. No direct heat, PS, air-drying, stretching relaxers, and M&S'ing keep splits away. I found only 1 in the past year of no trims, so I will keep up these parts of my regimen. Oh and I keep my hair tied up unless I'm leaving my house. Helps keep it moisturized. I NEVER go to bed without a satin scarf or bonnet on. HTH!

I don't wanna trim for at least 7 years, and this is a crazy goal for me to even think of attempting, coming from a gal who use to trim on schedule every 8 weeks. So this long-term, if not indefinite no-trimming challenge that I'm doing is keeping me going h.a.m. with taking care of my ends. I see some inspiration on LHC (No Trimming Club), so I know it's possible to do and still have nice ends/hair.

My hair also loves protein...I can use it every wash and not have any problem. Sometimes I wrap the ends in Saran Wrap, the twirl my hair into a bun. That seals the moisture in well...I leave it like that overnight and sometimes for a day or 2. Baggying is da truf.:spinning:

Sorry so long!!

Last edited:

Mskraizy

Yay! I'm trying to make waist length by the end of the year so if I can get an inch every month, I can get there! :yep:

Current Length: BSL

Goal: By the end of 2013 - WAIST LENGTH

By the end of May 2014 - HIP LENGTH!!!

Starting Pic: attachment file...\\

Alrightyoo lets DO THIS!!!!!! :dance7:

Attachments

• Snapshot 1 (6-16-2013 6-34 PM)_1.png
    Snapshot 1 (6-16-2013 6-34 PM)_1.png
    131.7 KB · Views: 28

Blessed&higlyflavoured

Jewell
Thankyou!
so from what i gather
no direct heat
minimum manipulation
keeping your hands out of your hair except from when necessary
lots of conditioner
lots of protein
bun bun bun
baggying
ends away
Moisturise Seal and then heavy seal
bonnet 4 bed
Is that right ?

oh and may i ask again? what approach did you take to getting rid of the not-so-great ends?

Jewell

llan, You're VERY welcome!!:yep: Yep that's right ma'am! You've got it. The only problem I have had with my ends in the last 6 yrs or so was when I went natural--single strand knots (ssks). The ones that were leftover from when I was natural got trimmed off last June. I transitioned 9 mos (pregnancy with my daughter) and BC'd June 2008 right before giving birth. Texlaxed Nov. 2008.

Began transitioning again July 2009, and did so for 18 months. BC'd Jan. 2011, and remained natural until I texlaxed again in June 2012. Both times I BC'd down to no more than 5-6" of hair stretched. So I would consider it a TWA both times. Not only that, back in Sept. 2007, I chopped my then MBL hair off to a faux-hawk, reminiscent of the Rihanna style at that time. With all this chopping I've done in the last 6 years, my ends were in great shape except for the knots from not wearing my natural hair straightened much or stretched.

Both times, I only straightened my natural hair ONCE during each of the 2 periods I was natural...and it took over 3 hours to wash, dc, blow-dry, and flat-iron all my hair, only for it to begin reverting the same day.

So I never wore it straight really and it was always in the curly/natural state though I did protective style religiously during both transitions, and while natural. My ends, therefore, we're fine except for the knots. The 1/2" trim in June 2012 took care of all except maybe a dozen or so I found later on higher up in the strand.

Due to the protective styling, baggying, conditioning, wearing wigs, keeping it braided, etc., I had no other issues with my ends. They were also relatively even despite the self-BC's I did...one of which (the first in 2008) was done with surgical or bandage scissors in my labor and delivery bathroom. I was in labor, but them scraggly ends had to go!! While natural, my hair grew ridiculously fast, but my ponytail was like 4" thick in diameter, so it was very difficult to manage. It took like 45 mins to detangle each and every CW or full wash and DC.

I was also VERY tender headed while natural...I was nearly in tears when I got it cornrowed one time...and I am a tough chick when it comes to pain. The asks and tenderheadedness (not a word), shrinkage, reversion when straightened, along with being time consuming to deal with are my only qualms over my natural hair. Other than those things, I LOVED IT and miss it at times because I love big, natural, voluminous hair.

I could not deal with that kind of time consumption with a newborn at home, which is why I texlaxed BOTH times...in June of last year I was 4 mos preg with my son, so I knew he was coming, and needed easy-to-manage hair. Otherwise, I might still be natural if I weren't so fatigued, ill, and exhausted during pregnancy.

When my son is older (he's 6.5 mos), I could see myself going natural again, but next time, without a BC. I only BC'd the 2nd time because my hair broke off at the demarcation line in the back center of my head due to me keeping my hair in 2 French braids underneath wigs basically my whole 18-month transition. Next time I decide to transition, I will do individuals and I know now not to have stress points on the demarcation line...that's asking for breakage or an early BC.

I hate another of my posts was mega long, but I like to explain things like this in case people are wondering. I would love to be natural now, but it's just a matter of convenience at this stage with regard to my being texlaxed/mildly relaxed. I would love to go natural again in the future, maybe in another year. We'll see. I'd love to get to classic length while relaxed to show it can be done by a commoner such as I, but it would be super if I did it natural as well. I would feel like a true She-ro for handling all that hair and keeping it healthy!! I have to wait to go natural when I have more time for handling all that hair and my children are older....make no mistake, IT IS WORK if you have 3c-4a hair like me.

Meanwhile, my daughter is natural, so I'll have fun growing her hair to long lengths. You can see some of my pics from when I was natural at: http://fotki.com/JewellJ, and also my MBL hair before I chopped it...I think it's an 06-07 photo. No pics online of the cut...I was sick at the time and took them on my old Motorola Razr. I am one of those women who chopped off her long hair after a major break-up...a 4 yr relationship ended and major life events happened...but I'm glad I experienced short hair, and discovered IT IS NOT FOR ME. Until then, it had been SL or longer since 2nd grade.

Last edited:

faithVA

@faithVA

Welcome back! I pray your mom is doing better.

Not to add morbidity to the thread, but I want to thank everyone for the prayers and the words of encouragement. After a long battle, my mom passed away last weekend. Your kind words and thoughts have been of great help to me.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Not to add morbidity to the thread, but I want to thank everyone for the prayers and the words of encouragement. After a long battle, my mom passed away last weekend. Your kind words and thoughts have been of great help to me.

faithVA, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences go to you and your family, during this difficult time.

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

candie19

I think it is ingrained in them in cosmetology school or something that they can't complete a service without offering a trim or cut. It's some ridiculous b.s. though, and that excessive yearning they have to cut is why I stopped going to salons PERIOD 6-7 years ago.

So true!!!! I thought it was just me! Thanks for this posting. For a few seconds, she really had me doubting my reggie, growth, and health of my hair.

fancypants007

Ladies, I'm so pissed at my stylist. I gave in a got a touch-up 3 weeks early. I was seeing too much shedding and I'm limited on products in the Middle East. She insisted on flat ironing but I told her I'm just doing a wash n go. She said "ok, but your ends look bad, you need a trim". I'm thinking, I wear my hair protected 90% of the time my ends aren't bad. I said no thanks. She says "let me show you how to wash and go, but you need to cut your ends that makes it curlier." I was pissed by then. Why do stylist insist on cutting hair!?!!!

This is something we will be battling for a long time and we all wonder why. I remember the mishap that Sylver had i think in 2009. She was WL and the stylist was supposed to trim her hair and she trimmed and trimmed which turned into her hair being cut to BSL. Stylist do not like to do long hair. Because of this, I've learned to do my own hair, relaxer touchups, braids, trims, deep conditioning, etc. I hope she didn't cut your hair. As long as she didn't, you're fine, but the problem comes in when they do recommend trimming and we agree. DON'T GIVE THEM THAT CONTROL, unless you really trust them. Just a kind reminder that I'm sure you already know....... LEARN TO DO YOUR OWN HAIR. You will save yourself alot of grief and aggrevation.

fancypants007

Hello everyone. I only had intentions of lurking on this thread but after reading the whole thing I would like to join :)

Welcome and thanks for joining. We all are on this mission to get 12 inches in 12 months, or 8, or 9, or 10. You know what I mean.... we're putting forth our best effort to achieve what we can achieve. Please share any tips/suggestions you may have. If you like, not required, you can post a pic at the end of June. This is when we will be checking in to show progress.

fancypants007

mccray689 hey glad to have you

Hey ladies.
I caved with these chunky plaits. They don't wash so well. I've actually found that if my hair is in a style i hate i end up playing with my hair a whole lot more. So i put them in smaller twists that are braided up at the roots. Before i go to bed I've been spraying my roots with a rosemary infusion. It makes my scalp tingle/itch so i don't know if i can be doing it for the full 3 weeks. It also means i walk around smelling like roast lamb ...
hmmmm not too sure about that one.
My regimen is the same. Deep condition on dry hair with tigi dumb blonde reconstructor. co wash out with cheapie rinse out conditioner. leave in a bit of conditioner and seal with serum, oil or grease. I've added a step though. Spritzing my ends with aphogee green tea and keratin mist. They've been looking a bit pitiful and i want to preserve them. I wear the twists in two large flat twist at the side of my head or in a top knot. I have to practice only touching my hair when i need to though.
How's your week been ladies

Thanks for checking in. It's true, we have to find out what works the best for us. I've been sporting these buns which are fine, but I can't wait to put my braids back in at the end of July. That rosemary infusion spray sounds very good. I have a moisturising spray that I spray AM/PM and it makes my hair tingle too. It feels soooo good doesn't it. How does the aphogee green tea mist work out. Do you spray aphogee first before your serum, oil, or after you oil your hair. That sounds interesting because I want to preserve my ends too. Please share.

fancypants007

No, I would not let her cut it. I guess I'm just pissed because this stylist knows I'm trying to grow my hair. I just want an advocate for long hair not an ax cutter. I love how she relaxes my hair but I'm not with the "trimming" nonsense.

Good for you. Let her know who's the boss. Doesn't she know we are on a mission to get 12 inches in 12 months? All jokes aside, I'm glad you stood up for yourself and didn' allow her to cut your hair. This is when we get a little nervous, ackward and cave in, but you didn't. Well done!

fancypants007

Nice to hear from you. Remember, all those things add up. There are two things that I'm consistent with and that is taking my supplements/vitamins and oiling my scalp and moisturising my hair. You may think your hair is at a standstill, but perhaps not. A 1/4" turns into 1/2" that turns into 1" etc. etc..... and it all adds up. You are still focused on the goal which helps keep you motivated. You are doing good, girl, keep it up. You will know when you're ready to do more. Sometimes, we just don't want to and that is OK, but as long as we stay focused, then we are on track.

fancypants007

llan

GURL moisture, moisture, and some protein. I use a LOT of conditioner...my ratio is like 80% conditioner to 20% shampoo/diluted shampoo in a given month. I stopped using direct heat like flat-irons, stopped roller setting, started major protective styling about 2005. I realized I was having to trim a lot due to wearing my hair down all the time, wrapping my hair old school style (caused thinning edges and fraying ends), flat-ironing, going to the salon (where trims were often pushed on me unnecessarily), and frequent relaxing.

I started stretching my relaxers, conditioning more and more, air-drying, and protective styling until it became habit. I make sure to really put a good moisturizer on the edges and last 8-10 inches of my hair. I seal it with an oil, usually coconut, soybean, avocado, or grapeseed oil...then top the oil with a pomade (grease), or a heavy serum. Then, I wear my hair up until the next wash. Usually a bun or twisted up and secured with a clip. Due to the harsh sun, I'm bunning the most so my ends aren't literally being fried in the sun since the ends stick out at the top when it is twisted up and clipped.

I PS like 95% of the time for convenience, preserving my ends, and also because my hair is really hot to wear down. In summer, it feels like a wool blanket on my back. That's really it. No direct heat, PS, air-drying, stretching relaxers, and M&S'ing keep splits away. I found only 1 in the past year of no trims, so I will keep up these parts of my regimen. Oh and I keep my hair tied up unless I'm leaving my house. Helps keep it moisturized. I NEVER go to bed without a satin scarf or bonnet on. HTH!

I don't wanna trim for at least 7 years, and this is a crazy goal for me to even think of attempting, coming from a gal who use to trim on schedule every 8 weeks. So this long-term, if not indefinite no-trimming challenge that I'm doing is keeping me going h.a.m. with taking care of my ends. I see some inspiration on LHC (No Trimming Club), so I know it's possible to do and still have nice ends/hair.

My hair also loves protein...I can use it every wash and not have any problem. Sometimes I wrap the ends in Saran Wrap, the twirl my hair into a bun. That seals the moisture in well...I leave it like that overnight and sometimes for a day or 2. Baggying is da truf.:spinning:

Sorry so long!!

I appreciate your comments. We all know that preserving the ends is what leads to growth. I think my hair loves protein too. For a very long time, I didn't use a lot of protein, just moisture and I believe it's the reason why my hair may have not grown to great lengths, been on this hair journey for awhile. I now started alternating protein treatments every other week and all seems well. My hair strands are fine and it presents a challenge for me. I like to ask you a question though. I was doing the GHE which I know is different from baggying since the method is using water oils/butter. I have few questions on the baggying method. Do you baggy you whole head, or just your ends; and how often do you do it. Also how often do you give yourself protein treatments. I've been very cognizant of how my hair is responding to products and I've noticed that my hair is becoming more tangly due to new growth, which makes it difficult to comb. But I have to admit, I'm not seeing alot of strands in my comb. This is a good thing for me, but I want to stay on point with it because I remember in the past I would comb my hair and I would see these strands of hair in my comb and paid no attention, but now in retrospect I think that comb was slicing and cutting my hair ends. I'm using a big long teeth comb which is da bomb for me, but I'm always interested in preserving my ends. Anything you can share will be most appreciated. Thanks.

fancypants007

Yay! I'm trying to make waist length by the end of the year so if I can get an inch every month, I can get there! :yep:

Current Length: BSL

Goal: By the end of 2013 - WAIST LENGTH

By the end of May 2014 - HIP LENGTH!!!

Starting Pic: attachment file...\\

Alrightyoo lets DO THIS!!!!!! :dance7:

Sounds good!

fancypants007

llan, You're VERY welcome!!:yep: Yep that's right ma'am! You've got it. The only problem I have had with my ends in the last 6 yrs or so was when I went natural--single strand knots (ssks). The ones that were leftover from when I was natural got trimmed off last June. I transitioned 9 mos (pregnancy with my daughter) and BC'd June 2008 right before giving birth. Texlaxed Nov. 2008.

Began transitioning again July 2009, and did so for 18 months. BC'd Jan. 2011, and remained natural until I texlaxed again in June 2012. Both times I BC'd down to no more than 5-6" of hair stretched. So I would consider it a TWA both times. Not only that, back in Sept. 2007, I chopped my then MBL hair off to a faux-hawk, reminiscent of the Rihanna style at that time. With all this chopping I've done in the last 6 years, my ends were in great shape except for the knots from not wearing my natural hair straightened much or stretched.

Both times, I only straightened my natural hair ONCE during each of the 2 periods I was natural...and it took over 3 hours to wash, dc, blow-dry, and flat-iron all my hair, only for it to begin reverting the same day.

So I never wore it straight really and it was always in the curly/natural state though I did protective style religiously during both transitions, and while natural. My ends, therefore, we're fine except for the knots. The 1/2" trim in June 2012 took care of all except maybe a dozen or so I found later on higher up in the strand.

Due to the protective styling, baggying, conditioning, wearing wigs, keeping it braided, etc., I had no other issues with my ends. They were also relatively even despite the self-BC's I did...one of which (the first in 2008) was done with surgical or bandage scissors in my labor and delivery bathroom. I was in labor, but them scraggly ends had to go!! While natural, my hair grew ridiculously fast, but my ponytail was like 4" thick in diameter, so it was very difficult to manage. It took like 45 mins to detangle each and every CW or full wash and DC.

I was also VERY tender headed while natural...I was nearly in tears when I got it cornrowed one time...and I am a tough chick when it comes to pain. The asks and tenderheadedness (not a word), shrinkage, reversion when straightened, along with being time consuming to deal with are my only qualms over my natural hair. Other than those things, I LOVED IT and miss it at times because I love big, natural, voluminous hair.

I could not deal with that kind of time consumption with a newborn at home, which is why I texlaxed BOTH times...in June of last year I was 4 mos preg with my son, so I knew he was coming, and needed easy-to-manage hair. Otherwise, I might still be natural if I weren't so fatigued, ill, and exhausted during pregnancy.

When my son is older (he's 6.5 mos), I could see myself going natural again, but next time, without a BC. I only BC'd the 2nd time because my hair broke off at the demarcation line in the back center of my head due to me keeping my hair in 2 French braids underneath wigs basically my whole 18-month transition. Next time I decide to transition, I will do individuals and I know now not to have stress points on the demarcation line...that's asking for breakage or an early BC.

I hate another of my posts was mega long, but I like to explain things like this in case people are wondering. I would love to be natural now, but it's just a matter of convenience at this stage with regard to my being texlaxed/mildly relaxed. I would love to go natural again in the future, maybe in another year. We'll see. I'd love to get to classic length while relaxed to show it can be done by a commoner such as I, but it would be super if I did it natural as well. I would feel like a true She-ro for handling all that hair and keeping it healthy!! I have to wait to go natural when I have more time for handling all that hair and my children are older....make no mistake, IT IS WORK if you have 3c-4a hair like me.

Meanwhile, my daughter is natural, so I'll have fun growing her hair to long lengths. You can see some of my pics from when I was natural at: http://fotki.com/JewellJ, and also my MBL hair before I chopped it...I think it's an 06-07 photo. No pics online of the cut...I was sick at the time and took them on my old Motorola Razr. I am one of those women who chopped off her long hair after a major break-up...a 4 yr relationship ended and major life events happened...but I'm glad I experienced short hair, and discovered IT IS NOT FOR ME. Until then, it had been SL or longer since 2nd grade.

Thank you Jewell for sharing the link to your pictures. I've always wanted to see your hair progress. I'm bookmarking this link because it's encouraging and helps us to see we can do this!

fancypants007

Faith, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. The Bible speaks of death as being an enemy because it robs us of our dear loved ones. Here are some scriptures that can prove to be comforting during this grievious time for you:

John 5:28-29
Revelation 21:3-4
1 Corinthians 15:26
1 Corinthians 15:55
John chaper 11 speaks of sickness, death and resurrection of Lazarus which also is comforting.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

caliscurls

Jewell thanks for taking the time to make detailed posts! They are not only helpful but inspirational. My most recent trip to the relaxed side was for similar reasons but ironically it seems my relaxed hair tangles like seaweed which is why I've decided to cut this trip short at a little over a year and transition back to natural. Already I can tell the difference when I wash my hair between the easy to get through new growth and "make me want to get some shears" relaxed hair, it's just that thickness is crazy. I say that knowing good and well I miss that thickness so much, lol!! I took it for granted before but can appreciate it now. Going back and forth has been a very good learning experience. Now I'm looking forward to having that long mane my young nieces can sit and play with like repunzels. I can totally identify with the femininity you associated with long hair. Anyhow, a long way to say thanks, but thanks!!!

fancypants007

Hi ladies, just wanted to let everyone know how encouraging it is to see all the support given in this thread. It's not one sole individual, but we all are trying to help each other stay focused and consistent with this goal as well as giving assistance to ones who need it when we experience the ups and downs of life. I try to check in every week to see how everyone is doing and to help us stay focused. We also have some new ones that have joined which is also encouraging. I'm glad I started this thread because I could have done it myself because I'm determined when I set my mind to something, but it's nicer to have others beside you that support, share and encourage you along the way.

I'm still doing my best and staying consistent. Doing exercises at least 6 times a week, taking supplements, oiling scalp, moisturing hair, doing my headstands, etc. I can tell my hair is growing because I had more than the usual tangles when I washed my hair this week. I tried the Eden cowash product from Sally's and I gave myself a henna gloss last week. I'm also trying a product that just washes my scalp. I don't want to cowash every day, so I found a recipe for washing the scalp only. I tried it this morning and we will see how it works. I'm serious about this challenge. I was thinking last night that even if I get .75 inches a month that would equate to 9 inches a year which would still make me happy. What would make me happier, is retaining everything I grew. So any info on preserving those ends, I want to hear about. Thanks ladies for all your help and support!