12 Inches In 12 Months - 2016

Kells

Challenge: 12/01/2015 – 12/01/2016
(THIS IS AN OPEN CHALLENGE; JOIN ANYTIME YOU WANT. ALTHOUGH THE EARLIER, THE BETTER)

Hello All,

Firstly all props goes to @LadyAmani for bringing this thread back up with the suggestion that a new one be started. Thus far, there are at least 7 of us who want to give this challenge a shot.
Instructions, rules, tips and suggestions from previous challenges remain the same with a variation on the check-ins.
Suggestions were lightly edited from original post for clarity and relevance to current day.
'Like' this post to join (‘Thank’ button would really come in handy right now)
You may use all or some of these methods listed below and remember these are merely suggestions to help you gain a whole inch in a month, definitely not all mandatory.
You can implement any or all of these methods to whatever suits you best and you may change them at your leisure.
Currently, there are 20 suggestions in total.

1. Scalp massages everyday. We should be moisturizing everyday even with protective styling so take a few minutes to massage your scalp with your fingers!. If you have soreness, avoid that area of your head and/or do it more gentler like a relaxing gentle massage; these few minutes could be your relaxation and reflection time. Feel free to incorporate stimulating/nourishing essential oils to your carrier oil.

2. Protective styles/low manipulation styles at at least 3 to 5 days out of the week.

3. No heat until the end of the challenge. *Exceptions for special occasions; just be sure to maximize your level of heat protection and use minimal handling when and where possible.

4. Mild exercise often, this could be in the form of a brisk walk daily. Alter for your wants and needs.

5. Incorporate either the Green House Effect or baggying method nightly/weekly, (depends on what styles you'll be wearing)

6. Trims only when absolutely necessary; preferably the "search and destroy" method if you can.

7. Moisturize and seal everyday.

8. Whenever you shampoo, co-wash and deep condition, pre-poo if you must (particularly coconut oil to reduce swelling), make sure to detangle (includes finger combing) and divide hair into sections when washing it.

9. In the winter month when wearing hats, wear either a silk bonnet underneath the hat OR have silk lining in the hat to protect hair.

10. Sleep with a silk or satin scarf every night or a silk pillowcase and/or both!

11. Drink lots of water. I can assure you that if it wasn't for water, my hair wouldn't have grown to the length it is now. Drink it anyways for your health. Water allows the nutrients to circulate throughout your body.

12. Eat a healthy and BALANCED diet. Make sure to try and incorporate many fruits and vegetables each day. Foods that really promote hair growth: Fish (omega 3 fatty acids), eggs (omega 3 fatty acids), oranges (full of vitamin c), nuts (particularly almonds which strengthen hair and produces a shine), carrots (full of vitamin A and makes hair shiny), broccoli (calcium), spinach, bananas (full of biotin), meat/fish (protein), etc. As for vegetables, even if you don't like them now, your taste buds will adapt to the tastes and you may start to love them!

13. Take a daily multi-vitamin.

14. Use a growth aid. It can be anything from CastorOil, JBCO, Sulfur infused oils, supplements etc. The list is endless.

15. Reduce stress. Don't worry, be happy! Yoga, meditation, relaxing, simply reduce it because it can slow down hair growth. SLEEP. SMILE. BREATHE - scalp massages in #1 can help!

16. If you are relaxed/texlaxed/transitioning, try your best to stretch your relaxers to as long as you feel is reasonable. Simply try to keep your hair in the best shape possible.

17. Every day, say a positive affirmation about yourself to motivate yourself. If you believe, YOU ARE.

18. Although we're checking in every 3 months; every 2 months do a length check for your own records to see how you are coming along.

19. Every month simply post on the wall on how you're doing, how much growth you have had etc.

20. Last but not least, we are a community, come back to this post as often as possible to offer/seek support, post any new tips/finds and positive motivational comments.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LENGTH CHECK DATES ARE EVERY 3 MONTHS:
* March 1, 2016.
* June 1, 2016.
*September 1, 2016.
* December 1, 2016 - FINAL REVEAL AND CHALLENGE RESULTS.

‘Like’ this post to join the challenge and include this info in your post:

Current Length:
Goal Length Having Retained 12 inches:
Starting Pic:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We still have a full month before this challenge starts on December 1, 2015, so no rush on the starting pic. If you would like to wait until closer to the start of the challenge to post your pic, that’s perfectly fine.

Last edited:

Kells

Current Length: CBL
Goal Length: MBL
Starting Pic: Will post closer to challenge start date.

SexySin985

I'm in. I'm a slow grower but I'm claiming the 12 inches for 2016! I need a trim which I'll do hopefully before the start of this challenge. I've also been researching hair coloring as I want to try a different look for next year. I'll be back closer to the start date to add my stats.

LadyAmani

Yes!! I am so in...I am currently in braids for my protective style. I'm not going to take them out until the 19th of December. So i will post a starting pic then, if that's ok.

Current Length: APL
Goal Length: WL

beingofserenity

I'm in.

Current length: ridiculously short.

Protective style: wigs

Just bought caster oil. Incorporating GHE. Have a gym memborship. Great reminder to continue taking MSM pills. Length check incoming...

Kells

Yes!! I am so in...I am currently in braids for my protective style. I'm not going to take them out until the 19th of December. So i will post a starting pic then, if that's ok.

Goal Length: WL
Oh yeah that's fine; whenever you can.

LadyAmani

I'm protective styling in braids. I learned that my hair doesn't like twists, in any way shape or form. My ends always tangle up and lock. I've been braiding my hair up every two months redoing the perimeter every two to three weeks. I give myself a week to assess my hair, pre-poo with coconut oil over night, do an aphogee two minute protein treatment, and deep condition with heat under the dryer. ( I am still looking for a great moisturizing deep conditioner.) Then I rebraid my hair, which will take me a couple days.

While I'm in braids I moisturize every day with carefree curl gold diluted in a spray bottle with purified water and jojoba oil. I apply castor oil every night to my scalp, and GHE 3x a week. I also take biotin, cod liver oil, jarrosil, and a multi.

I want to start working out 6x a week. So I pray I can be consistent with that.

Rastafarai

I'm down! My ultimate goal length is mid-back length unstretched hair that is even throughout.

Current length unstretched - APL
Current length stretched - BSL/MBL

Current Length Picture:

MsKinkycurl

I'm in! I'm away from my computer right now but I will post my starting pic soon. I've been in a rut for the last 5 months
because of large number of life changes that have occurred (all positive thankfully). I'm so excited!

Starting length: grazing wl
Goal length: Hip length with full hemline.

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
I want in.
Has anyone obtained 12 inches in 12 months?
And if so can you post examples?

I need the inspiration...........
I've never tried, but I'm sure I get the 'usual' .5"/month. To see more growth I'll have to get serious about the Inversion Method (which I know works for me) and continue w/my protein drinks.

prettybyrd

I'm in! I am recommitted to my hair after slacking due to school and just general stress, so this challenge comes at a good time.

I will consider the suggestions and repost when I decided on my methods.

Current Length: CBL - stretched
Goal Length Having Retained 12 inches: MBL - stretched
Starting Pic: I will post on Dec. 1

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'm in.
Current length: Apl
Goal length: Waist length
I will post a starting pic sometime next month when I straighten my hair

Kells

Awesome, awesome!
We have good size group so far; from the likes in the first post I take it we have 12 Ladies.
Everyone seems to have an idea on how they'll reach their goals.

I will take my MSM, continue bunning as a protective style, no heat, silk scarf-it at night.
Those things I can do out the gate, for sure.

What I need to work on is drinking more water, working out and scalp massages.

ETA: I also plan to get one of those length check the-shirts.

Last edited:

Kells

Caramel74

I have a question. I noticed one of the requirements is no heat. We need to use heat for length checks, right? Also no heat means not even once a month? I was going to join but I need my once a month dominican blowouts, lol and also sometimes I just need to let it loose but it's not often. Most of the time I'm in a protective style.

Length Goals: Short Term: BSL Long Term: MBL

Texture: Natural, 3b
Challenges: None yet but looking forward to joining one
:rose:

Last edited:

nothidden

So I bumped into this thread about carrot juice and it's benefits in hair growth and thickness.
https://www.longhaircareforum.com/threads/new-carrot-juice-hair-growth-challenge.24008/
Thx for the post. I just bought bags of carrots to add to curried veggies, but now I have other plans. Saw a few ways to use them here: http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/carrots-for-hair-growth/. Will definitely be trying the carrot hair mask w/banana. Maybe I'll introduce fenugreek, too.

Caramel74

@Caramel74, the 20 items are suggestions. I have no plans of doing GHE, the baggy method, or reciting an affirmation. I'm keeping it simple and doing what I know works for me.

I'm looking forward to getting started. Already allotted days 1-7 as my Inversion Method days.

oh ok thank you! That inversion method is amazing ( one inch in seven days), now i see how 12 inches in 12 months is possible. You're going to do great, I can tell. How exciting!
:yahoo:

Caramel74

Ok I'm officially in.

Starting Length : APL
Ultimate Goal Length: MBL

I think my hair is too thin for anything longer than BSL or MBL. I'd be really happy with either of those. I'm happy now with healthy all-one-length APL. It seems like every time I cut my hair and start over I end up the same place no matter what so I'm hanging in there just keeping my hair moisturized and in protective styles. I'll try to achieve the longest I can as long as it's healthy and not too thin. WL would be really pretty if I could/can, so we shall see...
Length Check 30 Oct 2015.jpg:rosebud:

Last edited:

LadyAmani

Thx for the post. I just bought bags of carrots to add to curried veggies, but now I have other plans. Saw a few ways to use them here: http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/carrots-for-hair-growth/. Will definitely be trying the carrot hair mask w/banana. Maybe I'll introduce fenugreek, too.

I'm glad it helped... That carrot and banana hair mask sounds good. What collapsing fenugreek do? I remember taking that to increase my milk supply. I had to stop I started smelling like maple syrup :nono2:

Kells

I'm glad it helped... That carrot and banana hair mask sounds good. What collapsing fenugreek do? I remember taking that to increase my milk supply. I had to stop I started smelling like maple syrup :nono2:
You know, I was doing fenugreek rinses a few weeks ago and I low-key liked the maple smell lol, but I hear you though.
Too much syrupy smell begins to smell a little like pee to me.

nothidden

LOL...I have read about the 'maple syrup' affect. I have also read that fenugreek is used for hair loss. When applied to the scalp, it stimulates growth among other things. You have to soak the seeds then mush and add to a mask.