12 inches in 12 months - 2014

fancypants007

Re: 12 inches in 12 months - 2013

@Jewell - thanks for the reply. Yes I know about the B-complex intake with biotin. Until March I was taking a separate B-complex supplement and after I finished the bottle I did not purchase anymore because two of my other supplements have high contents of b-vitamins. I also use rice bran syrup (a sweetner) rich in b -vitamins. I think I am just one of those people that biotin doesn't benefit. (I subscribe to the saying "just because it works for someone else doesn't mean it will work for me")

On another note - I must thank you for your post upthread where you mentioned the various oils. It helped me to finally go to the local Indian grocer to re-purchase amla and bhringaraj oils. At the grocer I saw mahabhringraj oil and remembered your mentioning it - so I purchased it. Unfortunately they did not have the parachute amla oil so I had to purchase the Dabur brand (mineral oil and all :ohwell:)

By the way are you or anyone reading this post using the shikakai shampoo bar ? I found a bar by Swastik at the grocer and picked that up also.

Yes I have purchased the shikakai shampoo bar and it cleanses thoroughly almost like a clarifying poo. I have also used the shikakai powders mixed into conditioner and would use it every time I washed and my hair never looked better. With all the cowashes on the market it's just easy to go and purchase one, but I think I'm going to go back to this cowash. I loved the tingle it gave me. One poster here experimented with it for several months and then shared the recipe with us. Here is the link if you're interested. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=228123

Mskraizy

Thanks for sharing I have to check those tutorials and that yarn. Now is it complicated or difficult to take down?

No problem! :grin:

For me, the only hassle about the takedown (and takedowns in general) is the time it takes. But my hair slips out of it fairly easy, but when in yarn braids I do oil and massage my scalp daily and I sorta pull the oil down through the braids....if that makes sense. I do this on my loose hair or when in twists so I just usually do it in the yarn braids as well. And I think because I do that it makes the yarn slip out so much more easier.

I also notice that when I oil my scalp daily, when it comes to deal with the little buildup at the roots they actually melt out. It's not strenous to sit there and pull out strand by strand the buildup just kinda breaks apart. So when in yarn braids especially, I make sure to oil my scalp daily. :yep:

@Mskraizy I am a wig wearer. I had a bestlacewig unit that I recently had to retire. It was my go to wig. I wore that wig almost every day in 2012. I don't glue my wigs on so my edges were not affected. I purchased the glueless wig and I had bangs cut. I also own a glamour house of hair "Jennifer" unit which I pin down with no more than 4 bobby pins. I have another wig I purchased from a chinese vendor which I sewed in an elastic band so I wouldn't have to glue it. I own one more wig from rpg show that I doubt I'd ever wear.

Thank you for your tips! I was kind of iffy about buying from bestlacewigs for a minute because of all the bad reviews I heard but I did my reviews on this particular wig and I didn't hear alot of negative reviews other than the hair was too thick (which I like cause it'll look like I straightened my natural hair :grin:).

I'm gonna do the bobby pin trick definitely and just massage them nightly with my avocado/castor oil as I already do. I figured that will help them keep their thickness.

Mskraizy

I have taken out my previous chunky twists, had my wash day, and back into another set of small-ish medium twists. Still having issues with little bits of breakage and I think it may be some of my products. It's time for a trial...:detective:

fancypants007

No problem! :grin:

For me, the only hassle about the takedown (and takedowns in general) is the time it takes. But my hair slips out of it fairly easy, but when in yarn braids I do oil and massage my scalp daily and I sorta pull the oil down through the braids....if that makes sense. I do this on my loose hair or when in twists so I just usually do it in the yarn braids as well. And I think because I do that it makes the yarn slip out so much more easier.

I also notice that when I oil my scalp daily, when it comes to deal with the little buildup at the roots they actually melt out. It's not strenous to sit there and pull out strand by strand the buildup just kinda breaks apart. So when in yarn braids especially, I make sure to oil my scalp daily. :yep:

Thank you for your tips! I was kind of iffy about buying from bestlacewigs for a minute because of all the bad reviews I heard but I did my reviews on this particular wig and I didn't hear alot of negative reviews other than the hair was too thick (which I like cause it'll look like I straightened my natural hair :grin:).

I'm gonna do the bobby pin trick definitely and just massage them nightly with my avocado/castor oil as I already do. I figured that will help them keep their thickness.

Thanks for sharing. I think I'm going to stick with kankanelon hair because I'm relaxed/texlaxed and I know right now my braids slip out with no problem and it takes me less time to take down then when I put them in. I'm keep changing my mind about how I'm going to wear or do my hair. I was going to put braids in this weekend, but I have changed my mind and I'm going to give myself a touchup. I have been singing praises about my hair not shedding that much, well now I'm starting to see alot more shedding. Not alot, but enough to get my attention. I've heard it said, that at times when shedding increases, it may be time for a relaxer touchup. I never paid attention to such things before, but now I am. My hair strands are fine, and perhaps people that have medium or thick texture can stretch a lot longer. I'm trying to hang by stretching longer, but perhaps my hair can't take it. So I'm going to give myself a touchup this weekend and continue wearing my bun. I usually stretch between 3-4 months. My last touchup was the end of March, so hopefully I will be safe. I will measure my growth before I do touchup to see how many inches I accumulated and I will post an update progress pic on Monday.

fancypants007

I have taken out my previous chunky twists, had my wash day, and back into another set of small-ish medium twists. Still having issues with little bits of breakage and I think it may be some of my products. It's time for a trial...:detective:

I hate those little bits of breakage and trying to find the culprit can be exhausting. But at least you're up on it. The right products is sooo key.

faithVA

I'm still here but not really doing anything faithfully. My grays are popping up so it is growing and my ends feel pretty good so I think I am retaining better than before. I will just give myself some time to get back in the flow. I know I will get back on track in July :yep:

I am also still here. I posted in the sl challenge which includes what I've been up to. I have had my hair braided up under a wig these past two weeks. I am washing, deep conditioning, moisturizing, sealing, and re-braiding tomorrow. This may be my summer routine.

caliscurls

Checking in...positive I didn't get 2 inches since May but I think it was more like 1.5, a solid 1 for sure and I know I had some breakage from roller setting :nono: the first two times and that was at least .5 and inch

fancypants007

I'm still here but not really doing anything faithfully. My grays are popping up so it is growing and my ends feel pretty good so I think I am retaining better than before. I will just give myself some time to get back in the flow. I know I will get back on track in July :yep:

Glad to have you back. You've experienced alot in the past few weeks. Just do what you can. We have 10 months to reach our goals. We all understand.

fancypants007

I am also still here. I posted in the sl challenge which includes what I've been up to. I have had my hair braided up under a wig these past two weeks. I am washing, deep conditioning, moisturizing, sealing, and re-braiding tomorrow. This may be my summer routine.

Sounds good. I like being in braids for the summer. Keep us posted.

fancypants007

Checking in...positive I didn't get 2 inches since May but I think it was more like 1.5, a solid 1 for sure and I know I had some breakage from roller setting :nono: the first two times and that was at least .5 and inch

Congratulations and thanks for your update. That is very good. You may have to tweak your regime to halt that breakage. Breakage is something we want to curb instantly before it gets out of control.

fancypants007

Well this is the end of June and calling for all updates whether it's pics or sharing how many inches you've achieved.

I measured my newgrowth yesterday, and I gained between 1.5 and 1.75 inches since April. I'm doing the happy dance. At first when I measured it seemed to be 2 inches, but I remeasured and I'm going to be safe and say what I stated above. It was kinda hard to measure because the tape measure kept slipping and my husband tried to take a pic, but it was hard for him. I'm giving myself a relaxer touchup tonight and hopefully his camera will be working so I can get a picture. I gave myself a henna treatment thursday evening overnight, so I wanted to wait at least 3 days before giving myself a touchup. My hair has been shedding alot more for the past two weeks, and when I give myself a touchup, the shedding stops. I will keep everyone posted. From this point forward, I will be using my length t-shirt to see exactly how many inches I will achieve from now to the end of this challenge. I hope everyone had good success too! Please share.

Updates please?

fancypants007

We are now going for the next 2 months and next check-in won't be until August. I have tweaked a few things to my regime. I'm going to start using a leave in spray made from black tea on my scalp only. The growth I got was not from using a sulfur growth mix, because I stopped using MTG and NJoy's sulfur mix. I've decided to use MTG again mixed with other oils at least twice a week. I heard good things about Gro Aut oil so I purchased some of it. I will use MTG twice a week and the Gro Aut oil the other days of the week. I will be cleansing my scalp every AM which should help keep scalp follicles clear. I'm going for 1x1 these next 2 months in trying to get 2 inches and beyond. These are some changes I've made to my regime. Has anyone else made changes whether adding to or deleting things from regime? Please share.

caliscurls

Congratulations and thanks for your update. That is very good. You may have to tweak your regime to halt that breakage. Breakage is something we want to curb instantly before it gets out of control.

You're right, I stopped roller setting after the second time. My ends are just too delicate and all that fine tooth combing just isn't worth it. Since then as well as switching to silk dreams shampoo and conditioners along with changing my sealant from a grape seed based oil with various other things to EVCO mixed with Biotique Bhringraj Therapeutic Oil things have been MUCH better.

Blessed&higlyflavoured

hey ladies checking in
i wore my hair loose-ish for a week. In two french flat twists. This was to stretch it for an event in saturday that i wanted to look glam for. for the saturday i wore it in a roll and tuck style. and on the sunday i put it into small single plaits with no added hair. it took 1 day. and these are staying in for 2 months. I'll just redo the front and nape as necessary. Only thing is i have a job interview soon and i don't want to look too juvenile. I already look young for my age and i'm 5' 2. I want to be taken seriously.

When i co wash these next week monday i'll post a comparison :) hope you're all well

faithVA

Checking in. I have cut out the junk from my diet and back to chicken, fish, fruits and vegetables. My water intake is so-so as is my vitamins. Hope to get back to exercise this week. Nothing else going on.

Will take an update pic this week when I wash my hair.

fancypants007

You're right, I stopped roller setting after the second time. My ends are just too delicate and all that fine tooth combing just isn't worth it. Since then as well as switching to silk dreams shampoo and conditioners along with changing my sealant from a grape seed based oil with various other things to EVCO mixed with Biotique Bhringraj Therapeutic Oil things have been MUCH better.

Yes preserving those ends is also important because it leads to length. My hair is fine and I have to be careful when combing my hair too. I use a wide tooth comb and I saw very little strands in my comb, however the past 2 weeks, I've seen more strands. This is why I'm giving myself a touchup to see if the shedding will decrease. I'm learning to pay attention to how my hair responds and reacts and making adjustments to give it what it wants.

fancypants007

hey ladies checking in
i wore my hair loose-ish for a week. In two french flat twists. This was to stretch it for an event in saturday that i wanted to look glam for. for the saturday i wore it in a roll and tuck style. and on the sunday i put it into small single plaits with no added hair. it took 1 day. and these are staying in for 2 months. I'll just redo the front and nape as necessary. Only thing is i have a job interview soon and i don't want to look too juvenile. I already look young for my age and i'm 5' 2. I want to be taken seriously.

When i co wash these next week monday i'll post a comparison :) hope you're all well

Looking forward to seeing those update pics.

fancypants007

Checking in. I have cut out the junk from my diet and back to chicken, fish, fruits and vegetables. My water intake is so-so as is my vitamins. Hope to get back to exercise this week. Nothing else going on.

Will take an update pic this week when I wash my hair.

That sounds great. I wish I could do that. I wonder if I was eating healthy if my hair would have grown more. Probably. Anyhow, I'm happy and content with the growth I got. I'm going to try harder these next 2 months to see if I can get an 1" in July and another 1" in August. I've increase my intake of MSM, and I'm trying a new growth oil. Water intake is still hard, but I try to get between 50-54 oz a day. Will try to improve.

Looking forward to seeing your update pic.

fancypants007

Hello, is there anyone else out there?

Anymore updates.........

I will wait patiently to hear from all of you. Please share what you have achieved in the past month or two no matter how insignificant you think it may be. We need motivation to stay focused, consistent and on track. Do not slow down, stay encouraged.

We need to hear from others because it proves that what we're trying to achieve is not unrealistic, but can work! I was a little nervous because I started this challenge in April and when it came close to the time to measure my new growth, I thought I had not achieved the 2 inches I was hoping for, but getting between 1.5 and 1.75 inches in 2 months is very good. I had to remind myself to stay positive. Now, I'm wondering if I was using a sulfur growth mix, would my growth had been more? Anyhow, I'm pleased with my results and want to hear your results too!

Mskraizy

Here's my little comparison.

I joined this challenge IN June so this has only been 2 weeks but I am VERY proud of my progress...

I know it doesn't look like much progress but in between these two length checks I cut off from 1/4 to half an inch (more than I needed to....just been kinda scissor happy). So within these two weeks I'm glad that my hair has gotten back to it's same length! Which means...technically I *did* grow an inch...I just retained half of it. :look:

For the next to months (and the rest of the year) I'm putting myself on a *No Length Check* challenge. I hope that won't interfere too much with this challenge but I don't want to do anymore official length checks until the end of the year. I'll just use a measuring tape to measure only one section of my head (that back section) and currently it comes to 15 inches.

From hereon out, because I'm feeling pretty iffy about a few of my products, I'll be going back to moisturizing with water first then sealing with my oil. I'll still be oiling and massaging my scalp daily and washing weekly. Have to find a new way to deep condition annnd any other updates I'll post as they come. But so far that's what it's looking like. :grin:

Jewell

Think I joined this challenge sometime around 5/30...I have gained 2+ inches since then. I was 2" to HL 5/13/13, and have been at HL for the past 2 weeks. I think eating healthier and the broccoli sprout smoothies did help. I never did the inversion or scalp massages with any consistency, and scaled back my washing to once per week. I felt I was doing a little too much in the washing dept and so far I like the increased "benign neglect" which has always been some part of my regimen, but in these lazy hot days I don't bother with my hair much.

I've kept it bunned or braided in one single braid or 2 Pocahontas braids daily, and tied up, only rocking a braidout bun or my hair lightly twisted up and secured with a clip when I need to go out. I have been moisturizing and sealing every 2-3 days, mostly the edges and last 8-10".

I haven't done my touch-up yet, but will be doing it by the end of the week. My scalp has been itching like crazy and I know it's clean and debris-free, and no allergic reaction; usually when I get profuse itching of my scalp for a couple weeks, a growth spurt is happening. I hope that is the case!! I will be doing my same regimen from here until the end of Sept...then maybe adding more oiling or massaging of my scalp for the fall and winter.

I never thought at the beginning of the year I could reach HL by July, as I saw several threads dedicated to that on hair websites. But God is good and I made it. I hope I can make TL by Dec. 2013. I have made a habit of being consistent with my supplements, if nothing else, and my water drinking. I also make sure to get enough sleep.

I will be increasing my MSM from 1,500 mg a day to 3,000 mg a day (2 caplets), and I recently began taking collagen daily (it includes all 18 amino acids). We'll see what happens!

Last edited:

QueenAmaka

Live, Love, Laugh :)

Hey!! :wave:

I am still cruising in the challenge and really loving the less is more approach. My hair has been hiding under the Mommy wig for most of June. I haven't done a length check but my new growth is definitely VERY thick but manageable. Its between 1 - 2 inches long so I am definitely making progress. I have been experimenting with liquid shea butter and my hair seems to like it. I wash/cowash my hair every 1 - 2 weeks now that I am wearing the wig. I am also using sulfur oil a few times per week and vitamins when I remember. This is my relaxer month but if things keep going well I'll try to stretch through October when I'll be 6 months post. :yep::yep:

Mane Event

What Brand of collegan are you taking?

Think I joined this challenge sometime around 5/30...I have gained 2+ inches since then. I was 2" to HL 5/13/13, and have been at HL for the past 2 weeks. I think eating healthier and the broccoli sprout smoothies did help. I never did the inversion or scalp massages with any consistency, and scaled back my washing to once per week. I felt I was doing a little too much in the washing dept and so far I like the increased "benign neglect" which has always been some part of my regimen, but in these lazy hot days I don't bother with my hair much.

I've kept it bunned or braided in one single braid or 2 Pocahontas braids daily, and tied up, only rocking a braidout bun or my hair lightly twisted up and secured with a clip when I need to go out. I have been moisturizing and sealing every 2-3 days, mostly the edges and last 8-10".

I haven't done my touch-up yet, but will be doing it by the end of the week. My scalp has been itching like crazy and I know it's clean and debris-free, and no allergic reaction; usually when I get profuse itching of my scalp for a couple weeks, a growth spurt is happening. I hope that is the case!! I will be doing my same regimen from here until the end of Sept...then maybe adding more oiling or massaging of my scalp for the fall and winter.

I never thought at the beginning of the year I could reach HL by July, as I saw several threads dedicated to that on hair websites. But God is good and I made it. I hope I can make TL by Dec. 2013. I have made a habit of being consistent with my supplements, if nothing else, and my water drinking. I also make sure to get enough sleep.

I will be increasing my MSM from 1,500 mg a day to 3,000 mg a day (2 caplets), and I recently began taking collagen daily (it includes all 18 amino acids). We'll see what happens!

ilong

God's Own

Mskraizy - I think your growth is fantastic. You should be very proud and doing the happy dance. I can't seem to get that type of growth in a month and you've done it in 2 weeks. Well done and HHJ.

ilong

God's Own

:lol:@fancypants007 - my apologies for late reply. I started to reply earlier and got pulled away, then forgot to come back. Thank you for the response and the link for the recipe. I am actually preparing to make the shikakai recipe mix now as I realized I had some shikakai powder I had not used. While I'm "in the kitchen" :) I am going to make naptural85 shea butter conditioner. Thanks again.

ETA: (10:34PM) I just made audacity's shikakai co-wash. Since I was at the sink already I decided to co-wash with the mix. My hair feels like heaven - silky and rich if that makes sense. My scalp feels great. After co-washing I mixed naptural85's shea butter recipe. The end result looked so good I wanted to "lick my fingers" - but I didn't :lachen: instead I put the finger lickin' butta on my hair while it is under wraps, deep conditioning.
I think I will wait until in the morning to rinse out.

Last edited:

fancypants007

Here's my little comparison.

I joined this challenge IN June so this has only been 2 weeks but I am VERY proud of my progress...

I know it doesn't look like much progress but in between these two length checks I cut off from 1/4 to half an inch (more than I needed to....just been kinda scissor happy). So within these two weeks I'm glad that my hair has gotten back to it's same length! Which means...technically I *did* grow an inch...I just retained half of it. :look:

For the next to months (and the rest of the year) I'm putting myself on a *No Length Check* challenge. I hope that won't interfere too much with this challenge but I don't want to do anymore official length checks until the end of the year. I'll just use a measuring tape to measure only one section of my head (that back section) and currently it comes to 15 inches.

From hereon out, because I'm feeling pretty iffy about a few of my products, I'll be going back to moisturizing with water first then sealing with my oil. I'll still be oiling and massaging my scalp daily and washing weekly. Have to find a new way to deep condition annnd any other updates I'll post as they come. But so far that's what it's looking like. :grin:

Thanks girl and you're looking good. That's incredible in 2 weeks. You can do what you're comfortable with, but I'm going to be expecting that update pic at the end of the year.

Yes at times we have to tweak our regime. I stopped during the GHE every night, but I will do it maybe twice a week. I've added a leave in spray made from black tea that I'm spraying on my scalp only and I added MSM to it which causes it to tingle. I will see how it works. Also I hear good things about Gro Aut oil which is herbal not with sulfur mixed in. I'm going to try it and MTG. I know MTG has mineral oil, but when I used it some years ago, it made my hair grow. In fact I remember getting 2 inches in 1 month which is unheard of. I'm only going to use it twice a week, but I will cleanse my scalp in the AM when I use it. I'm hoping to exceed these next 2 months, but whatever I get I will be thankful. Thanks for sharing.

fancypants007

Way to go Jewell that is awesome! It sounds like you have already reached one goal and striving to reach another. Consistency is definitely the key. I know that part of my problem is I don't always eat healthy, but you seem to be very conscious of that and no doubt it has contributed to hair growth. I try to eat protein, some vegetables, and some fruit, some nuts, etc., but maybe I need to find a way to up my intake in the vegetable department. Can veggie supplements help? Anyhow, congratulations on your achievement. Are we all ready for the next 2 months, let's do it!

fancypants007

Hey!! :wave:

I am still cruising in the challenge and really loving the less is more approach. My hair has been hiding under the Mommy wig for most of June. I haven't done a length check but my new growth is definitely VERY thick but manageable. Its between 1 - 2 inches long so I am definitely making progress. I have been experimenting with liquid shea butter and my hair seems to like it. I wash/cowash my hair every 1 - 2 weeks now that I am wearing the wig. I am also using sulfur oil a few times per week and vitamins when I remember. This is my relaxer month but if things keep going well I'll try to stretch through October when I'll be 6 months post. :yep::yep:

Sounds good. I have a question for you. I'm experimenting with shea butter too, and I was wondering what brand of liquid shea butter are you using. I purchased some organic brand which I'm sure will be fine, but I'm just curious. Keep up the good work. Those inches accumulate which means longer hair. Thanks for sharing.

fancypants007

:lol:@fancypants007 - my apologies for late reply. I started to reply earlier and got pulled away, then forgot to come back. Thank you for the response and the link for the recipe. I am actually preparing to make the shikakai recipe mix now as I realized I had some shikakai powder I had not used. While I'm "in the kitchen" :) I am going to make naptural85 shea butter conditioner. Thanks again.

ETA: (10:34PM) I just made audacity's shikakai co-wash. Since I was at the sink already I decided to co-wash with the mix. My hair feels like heaven - silky and rich if that makes sense. My scalp feels great. After co-washing I mixed naptural85's shea butter recipe. The end result looked so good I wanted to "lick my fingers" - but I didn't :lachen: instead I put the finger lickin' butta on my hair while it is under wraps, deep conditioning.
I think I will wait until in the morning to rinse out.

I'm so happy it worked for you. When I sent you the recipe, I was encouraged and decided that I was going to make it too to use on Saturdays when I wash my hair. I bought all my products I just haven't mixed up yet. I remember when I used it some time ago, I loved the texture of my hair afterwards because it removed all the buildup in my hair. Also, the tingle from the peppermint felt soooo good. I'm glad you liked it, now you have to share naptural85's shea butter recipe. I'm experimenting with shea butter and would love to have her recipe. Thanks