2016 Bsl/mbl Challenge

So I washed my hair and found out why Pantene's cleansing conditioner is on close out sale. Great conditioner, but the cleansing aspect is a joke. Anyways pulled out some good ole shampoo to fix that and conditioned and deep conditioned, aka got lazy, and styled my hair as usual. The Renpure coconut creme leave in conditioner and eco styler gel are my only styling products. They always leave my hair soft not matter the weather and humidity.

I would love to join in -

Starting length: BSL
Goal month: Anytime in Q4 (September-December 2016)
Inches from Bsl/Mbl: I'm about 3-4 inches from MBL
Regimen: I am newly relaxed, so still working on that, but I know thusfar:
  • Pre-poo with oils/hot oil treatment before shampoo
  • Shampoo every 1-2 weeks
  • Protein (when needed, still working on my moisture/protein balance) with Aphogee 2-minute in the shower (I may add in another, heavier protein if I feel my hair needs it)
  • Moisture DC (few different options) under heat EVERY SINGLE WASH
  • Styling - alternate between protective style (buns, flat twists, wigs, etc.) and "out" styles (twist outs, braid outs, etc.)
  • I am also on the sulphur challenge, so I want to do that every other day and co-wash if necessary
  • Moisturize every night on the ends and seal
Starting pic: December 2015
12360020_10100983106059460_2702778160746684652_n.jpg

So apparently heat coming out of the vents at work is more detrimental to my hair than the going to get colder winter we're having in the south. Being outside has never turned my hair this crispy unless there was zero humidity. That heat was so high that it probably could have dried my soaking wet hair by the end of my day. I had to spray my hair down when I got home. :nono: It's frizzy but at least it's soft again.

So apparently heat coming out of the vents at work is more detrimental to my hair than the going to get colder winter we're having in the south. Being outside has never turned my hair this crispy unless there was zero humidity. That heat was so high that it probably could have dried my soaking wet hair by the end of my day. I had to spray my hair down when I got home. :nono: It's frizzy but at least it's soft again.
You could try getting a humidifier for your office. The heat makes your hair feel crispy because it's a dry heat. The humidifier would put moisture back in the air allowing your hair to stay moist.

You could try getting a humidifier for your office. The heat makes your hair feel crispy because it's a dry heat. The humidifier would put moisture back in the air allowing your hair to stay moist.

I do have a humidifier, but it's not built to defeat what that vent was putting out. I may need to get a bigger one. Any suggestions?

I would love to join in -

Starting length: BSL
Goal month: Anytime in Q4 (September-December 2016)
Inches from Bsl/Mbl: I'm about 3-4 inches from MBL
Regimen: I am newly relaxed, so still working on that, but I know thusfar:
  • Pre-poo with oils/hot oil treatment before shampoo
  • Shampoo every 1-2 weeks
  • Protein (when needed, still working on my moisture/protein balance) with Aphogee 2-minute in the shower (I may add in another, heavier protein if I feel my hair needs it)
  • Moisture DC (few different options) under heat EVERY SINGLE WASH
  • Styling - alternate between protective style (buns, flat twists, wigs, etc.) and "out" styles (twist outs, braid outs, etc.)
  • I am also on the sulphur challenge, so I want to do that every other day and co-wash if necessary
  • Moisturize every night on the ends and seal
Starting pic: December 2015
12360020_10100983106059460_2702778160746684652_n.jpg

@itsjusthair88 your hair is very thick and pretty!

Week 1 is almost over and we are doing great. I do need to improve my overall diet and incorporate a workout regimen.

Question of the week:
When you reach your hair goal how will you reward yourself?

Like others have said, reaching my short term goal of BSL by June with great ends would be reward enough. But hopefully in conjunction with reaching that milestone I will be able to get a hair appointment with Reniece and company and can treat myself to a hair consult. If not I'll be like @trclemons and measuring how far till MBL...Lol

I think I'm going to wash my hair today. I haven't washed it since Christmas Eve... I was supposed to wash and flatiron for the New Year, but I got a wig instead. My ends are protected and I still look presentable.

I haven't used my Silk Elements scalp treatment in a while so I will start with that, prepoo with Kerastase Therapiste, shampoo with Cream of Nature and dc with Kerastase Chroma Captive. Once dry I will moisturize and rebraid my celies.

@itsjusthair88 your hair is very thick and pretty!

Welcome @itsjusthair88! Your hair is lovely.

Oh thank you guys so much!

For the question of the week - when I reach MBL I am going to cry of relief (j/k!), but I think I am going to finally buy myself a steamer or if I am feeling really good, one of those dryer/steamer combos.

I purchased a nice half-wig that has that Italian Yaki kind of texture, so I can give my whole head a rest, I have been over-styling it like crazy and it's a miracle i still have any on my head LOL. This weekend is wash day with an Amla/coconut oil pre-poo, Aphogee's 2-minute keratin protein treatment and then a new DC from Eden's Naturals (I think that's the name). Then it's braids except for a small portion for leave out and the wig.

I'm so excited to put my hair away for a while.

Question of the week:
When you reach your hair goal how will you reward yourself?

Hmm that's a good one. I'll probably treat myself to some hair products I've been wanting to try. I'm boring lol. By then I will have a very long list to choose from :spinning:

I thought I'd try flat twisting my hair into a beehive with a leave out so my end are tucked away but eh.. :look:
It wasn't too lumpy and no one noticed. My bestie got real close to my follicles and couldn't tell but I could.
So today I shampooed, protein treated and DC'd my leave out to flat iron it. Will retwist the rest straight back to lay flatter under my wig.

Last edited:
I still haven't washed my hair. I've been doing laundry, cooking, etc. Now that the house is clean I can start on my hair.

Hopefully my length check shirt gets here this week.

Yassss! As a mom I feel guilty for making big purchases for me, but I think I deserve a nice handbag. I might get myself a Louis bag for my bday in June. Hopefully I'm bsl by then...
Love the way you think! Louis vuitton is awesome too but we don't carry it here in the Bahamas:sad:. Also all leather goods are duty free here so it would cost less for me at home than in the US:happydance:

where did you get your shirt? I thnk they are so expensive, esp on amazon
I ordered it from Spreadshirt.com. It was $16 plus shipping. I tried to make a shirt (twice) and they both looked like poop lol. Now I don't have to worry about wearing the same bra or tank top for length checks.

I am really tired today. I'm literally still in bed. I better make myself a latte and get moving. I have to redo my wig braids today

Still going strong with my blow out and curl from last Thursday!!!!:yay: I definitely will be able to make it past 7 days and will try to push for 2 weeks. My scalp feels good after massaging with avocado and almond oil last night and then doing my inversion. My hubby is loving it too and will complain once I go back to bunning! Lol...

Back