2017 Bsl/mbl Challenge

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Those are really cute. Maybe by the summer I can do the second one.

If you try them I would love to see them.

Hi, lady! :wavey:

This is my first time EVER successfully bunning. I bunned wet hair, not stretched hair like they did in the video.

My success all hinged on using that telephone-cord looking band. It gripped the ends of my 2, two-strand twists easily!

Second day and third day (?) pics below. I have bands to secure the ends of my twists and didn't realize they were showing so drastically. Also, I never re-smoothed and didn't realize I had stray hairs and near had beady-beads on Day 3! *cry*

I tried a selfie on Day 2. DH took the Day 3 photo, so it shows the hair a little better.

WP_20171113_008.jpg

WP_20171114_007.jpg

shanelallyn30

man that article was crazy to me. acv and baking soda where bad when all I have been reading is is how good they are and they clean your hair as good as shampoo. clearly not. I use betonite clay and that seemed to be a good cleaner. but I may need to go back to a sulfate free shampoo. what kind of shampoo you use?

I always, always use shampoo. My scalp gets oily, so cowashing doesn't work.

I was going to buy those telephone cord bands. they looked so cute. I was just afraid they may snag my hair.

This is my first time EVER successfully bunning. I bunned wet hair, not stretched hair like they did in the video.

My success all hinged on using that telephone-cord looking band. It gripped the ends of my 2, two-strand twists easily!

Second day and third day (?) pics below. I have bands to secure the ends of my twists and didn't realize they were showing so drastically. Also, I never re-smoothed and didn't realize I had stray hairs and near had beady-beads on Day 3! *cry*

I tried a selfie on Day 2. DH took the Day 3 photo, so it shows the hair a little better.

View attachment 416499

View attachment 416497

faithVA

Thank you for sharing. Did you find it easy to do? :yay: for successfully bunning.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I moisturized my ends with Xcel21 and Long term relationship cream. My hair feels so soft. I did my daughter's hair tonight. I shampood it twice, blowdried and applied a tannin keratin treatment. I let it sit 30 minutes and rinsed it out. Then I blowdried it again and went over each section with the flatiron several times. It's still not super sleek, but a big improvement from her natural tangly, frizzy texture. I'll do a keratin treatment on my hair next week.

Evolving78

I moisturized my ends with Xcel21 and Long term relationship cream. My hair feels so soft. I did my daughter's hair tonight. I shampood it twice, blowdried and applied a tannin keratin treatment. I let it sit 30 minutes and rinsed it out. Then I blowdried it again and went over each section with the flatiron several times. It's still not super sleek, but a big improvement from her natural tangly, frizzy texture. I'll do a keratin treatment on my hair next week.
Can I send my little girl to you? I can’t seem to get past the deep conditioning process with her. Lol I will wash and dc, then I will send her to you to rinse and blow dry! Lol she has a lot of hair too! It’s not super long, it’s just very dense!

Evolving78

I’m happy I am making a lot of progress in my crown area, but there is nothing but new growth and it is super shorter than the rest of my hair. I’m not complaining. I just feel limited right now, until I relax again. I would like to style my hair, but I would have to use a ton of heat to straighten that area. It’s basically natural.. back to the bun and headwrap I go..

And I washed my hair this morning, just so I wouldn’t slap some creamy crack on it! Lol

Saga

The Generous Queen
Do you have the LTR leave in from before they stopped selling it or are you getting it from an online vendor?

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Do you have the LTR leave in from before they stopped selling it or are you getting it from an online vendor?
I buy it from Amazon for a ridiculous amount of money. They still make the conditioner though which is pretty similar in ingredients.

@shortdub78 I'll gladly do her hair. I only have 1 girl, and she's a tomboy. Her hair already looks a hot mess. She's wearing a "messy" top knot today.

Evolving78

I buy it from Amazon for a ridiculous amount of money. They still make the conditioner though which is pretty similar in ingredients.

@shortdub78 I'll gladly do her hair. I only have 1 girl, and she's a tomboy. Her hair already looks a hot mess. She's wearing a "messy" top knot today.
I got a wild one too! And she has the nerve to want to wear her hair out! Lol

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I'm still braided up and wearing the wig that I'd made. Every one thinks it's my hair because it's kinky hair. I even had my family fooled :giggle:. I still wash and condition my hair every week. I also baggy a few times a week too. My son wanted me to do the inversion method with him so I did that last week. I now have a natural hair buddy at home too :giggle:.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I did a tannin keratin treatment today. My hair is very silky, but it feels heavy if that makes sense... I'll wash it and do a dc Monday. My hair is supposed to be straightish out of the shower. We will see.

I will post pics on Monday. I was running late, so I just braided it and threw on my bob wig.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Hi all. Haven't been on in a while, but I've had a glimmer of hope. My hair seems to be retaining. The back/nape which is the hardest part to grow/retain is now 14" from it's normal 11" The sides are about 15" which they have never been. Recently I've been using Colorful Neutral Protein Filler once a week under my Joico DC. My hair feels strong when I rinse it out, then I just bun it with some Redken Anti Snap leave in, some type of cream and a castor oil/olive oil mix. I've been bunning with a bun form or just a bobby pin for the past three or so months. I know my hair needs protein, but I just haven't been on the ball or I wasn't using the proper protein. Hopefully I haven't spoken too soon and this keeps up.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Hi all. Haven't been on in a while, but I've had a glimmer of hope. My hair seems to be retaining. The back/nape which is the hardest part to grow/retain is now 14" from it's normal 11" The sides are about 15" which they have never been. Recently I've been using Colorful Neutral Protein Filler once a week under my Joico DC. My hair feels strong when I rinse it out, then I just bun it with some Redken Anti Snap leave in, some type of cream and a castor oil/olive oil mix. I've been bunning with a bun form or just a bobby pin for the past three or so months. I know my hair needs protein, but I just haven't been on the ball or I wasn't using the proper protein. Hopefully I haven't spoken too soon and this keeps up.
I'm so glad you're making progress lady :yay:! Our hair is similar and I need protein and protective styling to retain length too. Good job :supergrin:.

Evolving78

I decided not to heat style my hair. I just don’t feel like being on my feet! Lol plus, nobody is gonna see it. So it’s back in my bun.

I used the CON Argan oil conditioner that came in the relaxer box kit. I liked that conditioner at first, then I didn’t care for it at all. It might have been the hard water. I may purchase it again. But I mixed it with my It’s a 10 Mask... i applied the mask on top of the conditioner.

I need to note my steps today. I really like how my hair feels.

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Remind me the next time I consider letting someone else handle my hair that it's a big no.

My brother's friend is a great braider, but she combed my hair with nothing but water on it after I had already detangled it. Unnecessary breakage for a more "perfect" twist out. :(

I'm starting to feel like hardly ANYone outside of LHCF understands. Retention. I am about RETAINING my hurrrrrrrr!

*rant done* :meditate:

Evolving78

Remind me the next time I consider letting someone else handle my hair that it's a big no.

My brother's friend is a great braider, but she combed my hair with nothing but water on it after I had already detangled it. Unnecessary breakage for a more "perfect" twist out. :(

I'm starting to feel like hardly ANYone outside of LHCF understands. Retention. I am about RETAINING my hurrrrrrrr!

*rant done* :meditate:
I feel the same way. I have stated many times my crown got ripped to shreds from the braider combing my hair dry with a rat tail comb.
Black women outside of the hair care community don’t care nothing about retaining, detangling, etc. they are all about styling and making the hair look good.