2016 Milestone Challenge...(not A Length Challenge. No Length Goals)

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'm in.
Quarter 1-
1. Use up my stash (Alter Ego, Fondant Nutri Thermique, Premier rinse, Volumactive conditioner, and bain Chroma Riche)
I plan to achieve this goal by Prepooing each week for 5 minutes
2.Wear my hair out for 3 full months. (No wigs)

Quarter 2-
1. Trim ends during Summer Solstice.
2. Retain 1 inch in 3 months
3. Rock a cute braidout

Quarter 3-
1. Wear 2 strand twists with my own hair for at least 2 weeks.
2. Retain another inch this quarter
3. Dust ends Fall Equinox

Quarter 4-
1. Try a top knot bun without added hair
2. Rollerset with flexirods on damp hair
3. Try a new hair color

I'm pretty style challenged so this is going to be fun

Last edited:

LdyKamz

So this perm rod set is on day 2. Friday is wash day but I think it's only going to hold up until tomorrow night. I don't think it'll hold until I get home Friday evening so I may just comb it out and wear a puff. Now, that's only 3 days. If it surprises me and lasts for Friday that's 4. I'm aiming for a full 7.
Last night was my office Christmas party and of course I got home and conked out on the couch without prepping my hair. So it was all flat and funky this morning. I put some oil on my hands and fluffed it a little and it still looked horrible so I just put it in a puff. Which means I'm going to have to wear a puff tomorrow and it's definitely not going to look as pretty or neat. So I'll say I git 2.5 days out of this. Smh. I may have to think about restyling mid week after a cowash or something.

coconifah

A natural girl living in an unnatural world
Cool ok im in.
1. Gonna try to get this rollerset thing down packed.
2. Protective style in a low bun
3. Extend my trims longer.
4. Add steam treatments to my routine.

Last edited:

faithVA

I haven't updated my milestone list yet. One thing I want to do is learn how to make my rollerset last. If I can do that 1st quarter that would be great. I don't want to impact my retention trying to figure it out though.

Here's my curlformer set. If I have time tonight I'm going to see if adding a few flexi rods or perm rods tonight help.
IMG_20151203_084455055_HDR~2.jpg

faithVA

I installed flexi rods tonight. If I have good curls tomorrow, flexi rods may be my new love :yep:

LdyKamz

The flexi rods were a win. :yay: This seems like a really easy way to extend my sets.
Ok question for you then since one of my goals is to extend my styles for a week - my perm rod set being my main style. Do you think I can re roll after a few days to keep the set looking fresh? I don't want to re roll my whole head like a fresh set because I'm worried about manipulation. Then again if I make the sections too big I think it'll change the original style too much.

You were maintaining a curl former set right? How did you put the flexi rods in? Does it look slightly different or like a totally different style?

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
Now this is useful. I've been slipping lately, and need to focus, so...

Q1
Get back to Weekly DCing
Get back to Weekly Steaming
Apply products in sections
Inversion Method first week of month
Q2
Q3
Q4

faithVA

Ok question for you then since one of my goals is to extend my styles for a week - my perm rod set being my main style. Do you think I can re roll after a few days to keep the set looking fresh? I don't want to re roll my whole head like a fresh set because I'm worried about manipulation. Then again if I make the sections too big I think it'll change the original style too much.

You were maintaining a curl former set right? How did you put the flexi rods in? Does it look slightly different or like a totally different style?
You can definitely re-roll just the sections you want. You can blend it by separating the curls. If your natural it just depends on how much your hair has reverted. If my hair reverts too much I have to redo it all.

I was maintaining a curlformer set. Not sure if I'm answering your question, but I grabbed medium size sections, spritzed it, added oil, and wrapped it around the flexi rod in no particular pattern.

Because I separate my curls I think it pretty much looks the same as my curlformer set.

LdyKamz

You can definitely re-roll just the sections you want. You can blend it by separating the curls. If your natural it just depends on how much your hair has reverted. If my hair reverts too much I have to redo it all.

I was maintaining a curlformer set. Not sure if I'm answering your question, but I grabbed medium size sections, spritzed it, added oil, and wrapped it around the flexi rod in no particular pattern.

Because I separate my curls I think it pretty much looks the same as my curlformer set.

The bold is exactly how I was thinking of maintaining mine. Since my curls are usually set small and I'm natural most times it will start to look like a curly fro after a few days which I don't mind but then it looks like just a fro with no curls the day after that. If I use medium sections and separate next day I should get the same look. Fingers crossed. I'm doing a new set tonight so I'll try it in a few days.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Great Challenge!! I would like to join

1st Quarter
Master a flexi rod set, & Stop cutting my hair except for trims or S&D

2nd Quarter
STOP playing in my hair & Master flat ironing my hair

3rd Quarter
Be able to straighten my hair every 2wks without damage

4th Quarter
Find a hair color that suits my complexion and personality

faithVA

This challenge is growing nicely. Ok ladies I have you added
lulu97
coconifa
pelohello
Prettymetty
destinyseeker
nothidden
yaya24

Guinan

Re-Branding
So I tried doing a flexirod set yesterday. It didn't turn out perfect but I'm satisfied since it was my first time. I wasn't able to let them dry all the way. I'm gonna try sleeping in them next time.

Attachments

• rps20151205_205353.jpg
    rps20151205_205353.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 43
  • rps20151205_205313.jpg
    rps20151205_205313.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 40
  • rps20151205_204916.jpg
    rps20151205_204916.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 39

Guinan

Re-Branding
This is my goal

LdyKamz

Wrong thread. Sorry. I'll be back to show pics of my perm rod set.
I did this perm rod set in 57 minutes!! New record for me. I want to finish quickly but don't want to rush and lose a lot of hair. I only lost a little bit of hair this time and I want to keep it that way. Lastly I think my style may not last long because I separate too much but it's the only way to get it to look the way I want it to. Because even in the pics it looks frizzy and undefined but in person I have exactly the look I was going for.

Attachments

• 20151205_110113.jpg
    20151205_110113.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 20151205_105916.jpg
    20151205_105916.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
  • 20151205_192043.jpg
    20151205_192043.jpg
    890.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20151205_192059.jpg
    20151205_192059.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 38

faithVA

So I tried doing a flexirod set yesterday. It didn't turn out perfect but I'm satisfied since it was my first time. I wasn't able to let them dry all the way. I'm gonna try sleeping in them next time.

There are a lot of curls going on in that picture.

faithVA

I did this perm rod set in 57 minutes!! New record for me. I want to finish quickly but don't want to rush and lose a lot of hair. I only lost a little bit of hair this time and I want to keep it that way. Lastly I think my style may not last long because I separate too much but it's the only way to get it to look the way I want it to. Because even in the pics it looks frizzy and undefined but in person I have exactly the look I was going for.

Looks really good. Yes, I have to separate mine as well to get the look I want. The longer it gets though the less you will have to separate it.

Do you think we have similar hair?

LdyKamz

Looks really good. Yes, I have to separate mine as well to get the look I want. The longer it gets though the less you will have to separate it.

Do you think we have similar hair?
Maybe. I'm a low porosity, fine, low density 4b with very little 3c in the back. That part is also more fine, hangs more and gets heat damage if a flat iron even looks at it wrong.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
@faithVA I want to join :yep:.
Milestones
1st Quarter:
1) Protective style for retention
2) Retain moisture in twist for 2 days
3) Learn how to cornrow my hair
4) Learn how to make a natural hair wig
5) Focus on making my ends healthy
6) Eliminate SSK's
7) Work on regrowing temples and crown
8) Work on thickening my hair
9) Work on improving my high porosity hair
10) Do inversion method the first week of each month

2nd Quarter:
1) Continue working on temples and crown
2) Start working on achieving maximum hydration
3) Continue to work on not being a bandwagon junkie
4) Continue to stop being a product junkie
5) Figure out a moisturizing routine for my out styles
6) Achieve 2nd day hair on out styles without restyling
7) Achieve a wearable wash n go
8) Achieve a twist out that doesn't look stringy & thin
9) Do inversion method the first week of each month

faithVA

Maybe. I'm a low porosity, fine, low density 4b with very little 3c in the back. That part is also more fine, hangs more and gets heat damage if a flat iron even looks at it wrong.

Our hair is similar. I will follow your progress throughout the year.

I am low porosity, medium to high density 4b. I got something going on in the back. Maybe its 4a. Not sure. I have a lot of variation going on throughout my head. The nape is fine and I get a lot of splits in that area.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
So to help with my temples and crown area I've purchased a product that I saw on Instagram. It's the chili seed oil by Jer Aki Naturals. My plan is to use it in these areas every other day and use my dermaroller before applying the oil.

faithVA

@faithVA

I'm in with 3 goals:

1. Continue wearing loose twists until at least June of Q2. This has been the best protective style choice for me so far.
  2. Q2: Be able to re-do my twists in 6 hours or less (entire head) without sacrificing quality/care
  3. Learn 1 new style per quarter
Do you have any idea what your 1st style will be? Please post a picture if you find one.

faithVA

Very nice challenge @faithVA. I am interested in joining. My milestones are:

1. Trim ends (2nd Quarter and 4th quarter)
  2. Steam hair at least 6 times each quarter.
  3. Roller set at least 6 times each quarter.

I may add additional milestones later.
Are you in the rollersetting challenge?