4b/ 4c Naturals Growth Thread

SAPNK

View attachment 418231 Hi guys!

4b here natural here! Last year i was able to achieve past BSL length. I had no real regimen and i treated my hair horribly with blow drying twice per month on high heat. And STILL my hair grew. However, after putting color in it, it started to thin out and break. Last month i cut it to APL. I’m currently challenging myself to not use heat unti next December.

I am still establishing a regimen and actually trying to learn my curl pattern. Since i blow dried so often i never really learned how to deal with my curls. My crown is 4c and breaks very easily. I have a very hard time dealing with that area. Your tips have been helpful! This thread is great!!

Welcome! You and your hair are both GORGEOUS!

Ipanema

I went ahead and flat-ironed my hair straight. People were saying it looked so good, but I was self-conscious about the raggedy ends. They kept getting caught in everything. So I turned on a show, sectioned my hair, and spent 2 hours searching for and clipping off split ends. It was worth it. I like how it looks--length that tapers gently to a point, but not stringy & see-through.

The strange thing is I usually use the tension method to keep my hair stretched. The very ends don't get stretched because that's the part that I hold on to. But the very ends were the roughest part. I wonder if the ends should be stretched, too. I'm going to start straightening them around a roller from now on.

SAPNK

I went ahead and flat-ironed my hair straight. People were saying it looked so good, but I was self-conscious about the raggedy ends. They kept getting caught in everything. So I turned on a show, sectioned my hair, and spent 2 hours searching for and clipping off split ends. It was worth it. I like how it looks--length that tapers gently to a point, but not stringy & see-through.

The strange thing is I usually use the tension method to keep my hair stretched. The very ends don't get stretched because that's the part that I hold on to. But the very ends were the roughest part. I wonder if the ends should be stretched, too. I'm going to start straightening them around a roller from now on.

That sounds like a good idea. The last time I blow dried for braiding, my ends looked very frizzy. Like a bunch of fuzz balls.

I'm going to see how I can prevent my roots from getting so matted. I'm sure the answer is that I'm lazy and don't detangle thoroughly enough. :p We'll see tomorrow during wash day.

faithVA

This past wash day I tested out blow drying my hair to keep my ends stretched. I didn't blow dry it completely dry. After just that one time, I think it takes too long and even without drying it completely I think it is just going to be too drying for my hair. Going to leave blow drying for special occasions.

For the next few months, I will be paying special attention to my ends to see if I can find a combination of products and techniques to prevent my ends from curling up on each other so much.

Soaring Eagle

Singin’ the praises of the baggy method
This past wash day I tested out blow drying my hair to keep my ends stretched. I didn't blow dry it completely dry. After just that one time, I think it takes too long and even without drying it completely I think it is just going to be too drying for my hair. Going to leave blow drying for special occasions.

For the next few months, I will be paying special attention to my ends to see if I can find a combination of products and techniques to prevent my ends from curling up on each other so much.
Are you experiencing knotting on your ends? If so, have you tried using rollers on your ends or doing hanging Bantu knots? For the entire beginning of 2017, I was experiencing knotty ends, no matter how much I trimmed, deep conditioned, saturated my ends with oils and butters, they just wouldn’t let me live. When I started doing the methods mentioned, I no longer have those issues.

If that’s not what you’re experiencing, just disregard this. LOL.

faithVA

Are you experiencing knotting on your ends? If so, have you tried using rollers on your ends or doing hanging Bantu knots? For the entire beginning of 2017, I was experiencing knotty ends, no matter how much I trimmed, deep conditioned, saturated my ends with oils and butters, they just wouldn’t let me live. When I started doing the methods mentioned, I no longer have those issues.

If that’s not what you’re experiencing, just disregard this. LOL.
I guess I'm just experiencing splits from y ends runnng together. I'm not really sure what the real problem is.i guess that is what I really need to figure out.

Your ideas seem good. I'm not sure my hair is long enough with the shrinkage i have.

Ipanema

Any of you ladies stretch their hair with heat to retain length? Or does the heat actually cancel that out? Even low heat? TIA for your answers.

I stretch my hair with heat to retain length, and use oil to keep it smooth. I think letting it kink every which way is damaging when it comes to styling and avoiding breakage. Right now, I have my hair flat-ironed, and I'm keeping it that way until summer.

SAPNK

Does anyone know what makes Effeciently Natural and Naturally High's hair look so different. I can't really describe it, but is it porosity or strand thickness or what? They did two collabs and I watched most of their other videos, and their hair behaves very differently. Why?

Of course no two heads are alike, even if you share the same type.

This collab isn't the best example because they didn't do the exact same thing.

snoop

Does anyone know what makes Effeciently Natural and Naturally High's hair look so different. I can't really describe it, but is it porosity or strand thickness or what? They did two collabs and I watched most of their other videos, and their hair behaves very differently. Why?

Of course no two heads are alike, even if you share the same type.

This collab isn't the best example because they didn't do the exact same thing.

Can you elaborate a bit more... I think I might understand, but not sure....

faithVA

I think Naturally high's hair looks more thready, and her braid outs tend to look more dull. It's not exclusive to her though.
I'm not going to try to get the names right. I think the lady in the 2nd video has hair that stretches a bit easier than the lady in the first picture. I think the application of products and tension helps give her a smoother look. I think it would take a lot for the lady in the 1st video to get a smooth look even with the same products and techniques. She likes a lot of texture anyway but her hair seems to like to hold onto texture.

Not sure if that is what you were asking.

SAPNK

@faithVA, I agree with your observation.

I think it's because she's got more of a cottony texture. My hair doesn't shine either. I feel like my hair looks like hers...but shorter...:look:

My hair is way too short to judge, but I'd say I'm in between, but closer to naturally high (first girl). My hair looks the most like Nappyfu's.
I also think that Efficiently Natural has either more hair/ higher density or thicker strands that she can twist or braid more like a rope :spinning: (idk).

It's something I had on my mind after @YvetteWithJoy posted a video of another natural youtuber with hair like naturallyhigh; Craving Curly Kinks. She's great btw.

CocoGlow

@SAPNK

Very perceptive!

I noticed the differences some time ago and it can be a little frustrating but it goes to show that the regular hair typing system is not the best descriptor for our hair.

With these 2 ladies, I think it's a combination of texture (cottony with very low sheen vs cottony/silky with higher sheen) + strand thickness (fine vs med-thick) + density (med-high vs high) + type (4C vs 4B/4C - Naturally High describes her hair as 4C all over while Efficiently Natural describes her hair as 4B in the front & 4C in the back). Honestly, I think they both have high density but Naturally High's fine strands make her hair appear a little less dense than Efficiently Natural's.

These differences may not be noticeable at first glance but they do impact how the hair responds to things like heat & manipulation, how thick or thin your actual twists or braids appear & how full they appear on your head vs showing scalp, how much shrinkage you get, etc - let alone porosity differences...

I must say though that I see less variety in the 4C category... most appear to have fine strands & a distinctly cottony texture with very low sheen (they are referred to as "true 4C's" while others who describe their hair as 4C that have a cottony/silky texture with more sheen are critiqued and referred to as 4B/4C)

Do you know of any "True 4C" youtubers/bloggers, etc with thick strands & higher sheen? I can't think of one right now...

SAPNK

@SAPNK

Very perceptive!

I noticed the differences some time ago and it can be a little frustrating but it goes to show that the regular hair typing system is not the best descriptor for our hair.

With these 2 ladies, I think it's a combination of texture (cottony with very low sheen vs cottony/silky with higher sheen) + strand thickness (fine vs med-thick) + density (med-high vs high) + type (4C vs 4B/4C - Naturally High describes her hair as 4C all over while Efficiently Natural describes her hair as 4B in the front & 4C in the back). Honestly, I think they both have high density but Naturally High's fine strands make her hair appear a little less dense than Efficiently Natural's.

These differences may not be noticeable at first glance but they do impact how the hair responds to things like heat & manipulation, how thick or thin your actual twists or braids appear & how full they appear on your head vs showing scalp, how much shrinkage you get, etc - let alone porosity differences...

I must say though that I see less variety in the 4C category... most appear to have fine strands & a distinctly cottony texture with very low sheen (they are referred to as "true 4C's" while others who describe their hair as 4C that have a cottony/silky texture with more sheen are critiqued and referred to as 4B/4C)

Do you know of any "True 4C" youtubers/bloggers, etc with thick strands & higher sheen? I can't think of one right now...

Awesome explanation!
I think my mom might be a true 4c with thick strands.

I actually didn't know my strands were fine until I compared the two. Her's was thick. Mine thin. I thought it was the other way around because her hair looked quite thin when it was longer. But I have med to high density, so maybe she has low density. It's so weird.
I noticed her hair actually gets so shinny and stretched when she does her little Bantu knots, but it doesn't look full. So I think strand thickness is the main culprit with the other characteristics following behind.

Ipanema

Using the no-combing method on straightened hair was a bit of a challenge, but I think I have a good style going. I do twist-outs on large sections, creating deep waves. The waves puff out, depending on the humidity level. I like big hair, so it doesn't bother me. I oil and loosely re-twist every night.

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
Doing a hot oil treatment as we speak, before that I used a chelating shampoo on my hair.

Ladies, did your hair texture change when you transitioned from your 20s tot your 30s? Or do prescription drugs, taken for a long time, have the ability to alter one's hair texture?

SAPNK

Doing a hot oil treatment as we speak, before that I used a chelating shampoo on my hair.

Ladies, did your hair texture change when you transitioned from your 20s tot your 30s? Or do prescription drugs, taken for a long time, have the ability to alter one's hair texture?

I've heard that this can happen. How did your texture change?

Ipanema

I feel like I have to have a strategy whenever I wash my hair--to avoid excess tangles and breakage. For my ends, I tried something different to keep them stretched. I used rollers the last time, but didn't like it. So this time, I divided my flat-ironed hair into 8 sections, and braided only the ends of each section. About 3-4 inches of hair was braided at the end. Then I washed and conditioned my hair as usual, focusing on my scalp, which felt really good. Then I banded each section with the little braids still at the ends.

Btw, I've never banded before, but was inspired by the videos posted in this thread. I cut up a pair of pantyhose to make the bands. The material in pantyhose is very gentle on the hair, and does not cause breakage. I've been using pantyhose and those little cheep knee-highs to make my own hair elastics for years, and it looks so natural with the flesh colors.

After banding, I put on my soft bonnet dryer. After my hair was dry, I prepped it for another flat-iron. I removed the bands, took out the braids, then oiled and blow-dried each section. That might seem like a lot of heat, but heat makes my hair feel soft and pliable.

SAPNK

I successfully kept my roots from matting. When I put it in plaits to stretch it, I pulled very tight at the base/ beginning of the braid so it would be pulled taught. Before, the length of the braid would be tight but not the very top, so there'd be a little puffiness at the base, and of course with shrinkage, it would get matted. It sounds obvious but yeah... :look:

Ipanema

Well, I'm a bit annoyed that my hair refused to get all the way straight at the same temperature. It looks like kinky straight Kanekalon, but I'm still going to wear it loose until the next time. I'm not doing protective styles anymore.