APL`13 Challenge

BEAUTYU2U

Hi ladies!

I wanted to get the challenge started in advance since I noticed a lot of ladies were getting a little discouraged in the APL 2012. So here's a thread for previous (and future) challengers who want to retain and maintain arm pit length in 2013! Remember that hair care is a journey, not a race and let's continue to uplift one another!

The Guidelines

1. Join the challenge by clicking "thanks" on this post and I'll add you to the list.
  2. The challenge will officially begin on December 31, 2012 and run til December 31, 2013.
  3. The challenge is open to join at any time. No cut off date!
  4. Post pictures with updates, protective styling ideas, and and anything else hair related that you'd like to share.
  5. STAY POSITIVE!! Remember to encourage each other and provide insightful feedback.
Join the Challenge
  1. Current hair length
  2. Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning
  3. Goal Month
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?
  6. Post a beginning picture
Scheduled Updates

1. March 31st
  2. June 30th
  3. September 30th
  4. December 31st

*** I borrowed the same format from the APL 2012 posted by NikkiQ so I hope that it is fine. :look:

BEAUTYU2U

The Challengers

*CherryPie*
20Something
3jsmom
4EverDetermined
abbygirl
afgirl
aishasoleil
alanaturelle
AMAKA127
AmethystLily
Angelinhell
Ann0804
aprils13
arj2680
Asha's-Hair
Ashawn Arraine
Atdow71
AtlantaJJ
babychocolate
Bajanmum
beautyintheyes
Bella10
bestblackgirl
Binetad
BornAgainNatural2012
briana87
brittle_hair
butterfli
CafedeBelleza
CalcoolatedRisk
charmtreese
chassiecrane
chelleypie810
chelseatiara
CICI24
ckn
Cocoa3438
CoiledByNature
DaPPeR
Deziyah
Dibs90UK
dicapr
DominicanBrazilian82
Ebonychic90
equestrian
esi.adokowa
FemmeCreole
fiyahwerks
Froreal3
Fyne
gonnabme1st
GrowAHead
Growingmyhairlong
grownupnai
gvin89
GWtheVoice
Hairology
hairqueen7
HappywithJC723
Haymarket
HeadofCurls
HighAspirations
HoneyA
Honeytips
HuneyBunchezz
InBloom
IronButterfly
itismehmmkay
IwantLonqHaiir
JaszyFaye
jayjaycurlz
jbwphoto1
KammyGirl
kandake
Kb3auty
Kerryann
Kittitian_QT
Kiwi
KiWiStyle
latingirly020488
legallybronze
lexitrent
lindseyerinc
llan
londonfog
lovemyhair247
LovePatti
LovLeeLaDee
Lurkee
Maxi11510
melissa-bee
MeowMix
miraclediva
missliberia
MKBeauty
msmarc1
myhairgrowstoo
MyTea
MzLady78
NaturallyMede
nature11e
NefertariBlu
Nela7
nemi95
nicki6
nynewyork
OceanEyes
Odessa
pearlific1
pelohello
PerfectlyFlawed
petitefille
pinkpanther23
PinkyPromise
PittiPat
Poutchi
quirkydimples
RODI
Rozlewis
sandalex13
Satchmo
Seamonster
SexySin985
shae101s
Shalay11
shalonda18
shanese21
shesheshe22
shidagirl
SincerelyBeautiful
snickieb
SouthernStunner
stephanyk87
sunnycurls
TalkTru
TeeBee
TheVioletVee
TooCute
treybaby2005
TruthInLove
VivianLearns
waffigrl
whosthatgurl
yaya24

Last edited:

NikkiQ

Yay!!! Way to go BEAUTYU2U! I'm so glad you started this challenge for everyone. I know you're gonna do a great job hosting. Feel free to call upon the APL Ninjas if you guys would like us to pop in every now and then Ninja style :lol:

Sent from my Android...Boom.

Kerryann

I'm joining this challenge again simply because my shortest length is not apl and most likely because i will not make apl by dec. 31

so add me in this sucker

SincerelyBeautiful

I'm in!! I'm in!! May not make it by the end of 2012 due to some cuts and trims here and there but I will be back to post a starting pic with my other info as well. Need to relax my hair next week to do another length check. That pic will be my starting pic for this thread.

30something

Thank you for starting this challenge OP!!

Current hair length
SHL

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning
Natural

Goal Month
I'm giving my self until Dec, 31, 2013

Current Reggie and styling choices
Co wash and deep condition twice a week
Light protein deep condition Thursday, moisture deep condition Sunday.
Co washer = Tresemme naturals/ Hair one/trader joes nourish spa
Deep conditioners = Aubrey organics GPB, HSR, Tresemme mud masque
Styler and leave in = Traders joes nourish spa + herbal essences/ Qhemet twist butter. That is pretty much it.

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?
Probably nothing different besides just useless heat. My regimen has been pretty solid.

Post a beginning picture

Will do.

Last edited:

chelleypie810

Current hair length
SL about 1-2 in the back from APL
front is NL/ SL (have layers)

Relaxed

Goal Month
I'm giving my self until May 2013 (graduation)

Wash and rollerset 1x a week
Moisturize and oil when necessary
Wear my hair done 5x out of the week

try to go 12 weeks between relaxers

Post a beginning picture

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 156

Seamonster

Hi Beauty, thanks for starting this challenge. I am doing the no heat challenge so I have no idea what length my hair is. Never got use to length checking type 4 hair with no heat, but I am learning.

If I should luck up and have a few strands of hair that reach APL when I straighten in 4 months, I will need to get my crown to APL. A year should get those shorties past shoulder length for sure.

Current hair length Won't know until the new year

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning Happy to be Nappy for 12 years!

Goal Month June :perplexed

Current Reggie and styling choices Everything but the kitchen sink. Bandwagons, clearing out my stash by using something different every month.

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Want to go back to Bikram Yoga, swimming, and dance class.

Post a beginning picture I will post in January after I straighten my hair-the big reveal!

BEAUTYU2U

I'm joining this challenge again simply because my shortest length is not apl and most likely because i will not make apl by dec. 31

That's perfectly fine. Partial challengers are welcome too! :yep:

I'm in!! I'm in!! May not make it by the end of 2012 due to some cuts and trims here and there but I will be back to post a starting pic with my other info as well. Need to relax my hair next week to do another length check. That pic will be my starting pic for this thread.

:lol: Welcome, girl!

Thank you for starting this challenge OP!!

You're welcome! If you ladies get the chance, post some of the products you'll be using in your regimen. It could be helpful to the others.

Goal Month
I'm giving my self until May 2013 (graduation)

That'll be a nice graduation gift to yourself :grin:

Hi Beauty, thanks for starting this challenge. I am doing the no heat challenge so I have no idea what length my hair is. Never got use to length checking type 4 hair with no heat, but I am learning.

Current Reggie and styling choices Everything but the kitchen sink. Bandwagons, clearing out my stash by using something different every month.

You're welcome! I usually length check on hair that was DC'd or soaking wet when I applied product and airdried in a stretched state. It makes my hair really soft and able to stretch for the picture better. If it's dry, it won't act right. And :lol: I've been all over the place for awhile too. I haven't bought any new products so I "excuse" myself for digging through relatives' products :look: I need to stop.

bestblackgirl

OOOh I want to officially join.

Current Length: SL Relaxed

Goal Month: I'm giving myself till December. Last time I was APL, I felt it took forever to get there

Regimen: Washing once a week because I workout 5x a week.
NJoy's Sulfur Challenge
Moisturize daily, PSing
Will modify as I go along

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
  1. Current hair length: Shoulder/collarbone
  2. Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Natural
  3. Goal Month: June 2013
  4. Current Reggie and styling choices: Co-wash 1x a week. Shampoo bi-monthly to monthly, deep condition bi-weekly (will change soon to weekly), protective style in mostly twists, buns, and wigs (foregoing wigs until the new year due to another challenge), Spritz and seal ends every other day for moisture, sleep with satin scarf & bonnet,
  5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Deep condition weekly and pay more attention to protein/moisture balance. I may benefit from more protein due to having fine hair. May look into tea rinsing. I will also begin to exercise more, drink water, and eat healthier.
  6. Post a beginning picture

Rozlewis

Hello,

I want to join this group so glad you started it,

Current hair length: grazing shoulder length

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Relaxed

Goal Month: August

Current Reggie and styling choices: I will post more details later.

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? I will post more details later.

Post a beginning picture: I will post more details later.

Ann0804

I want to join.

Current hair length: NL front; SL back
Hair type: I'm natural
Goal Month: I'm hoping to reach APL by August 2013
Current Reggie and styling choices: frequent co washing, shampooing once every week or two, DCing as needed, M&S twice daily, taking vitamins daily, protective styling in twists and wigs.
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Nothing at this time.
Beginning picture- coming soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

JaszyFaye

I'm in!! :grin::grin:

Current hair length: SL
Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: October 11th marks my 9th yeah being all natchal
Goal Month: June just in time to celebrate being a quarter of a century old
Current Reggie and styling choices: Currently in Patra braids that I self installed, going to keep these in until December. In the MN and NJoy Sulfur challenge.
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Up my water intake, break up with my long time lover heat and continue to ps

Beginning picture was taken 9/29 the day before I braided my hair

Attachments

• IMG_0225.jpg
    IMG_0225.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 193

Satchmo

Count me in! Been waiting for this.

Current hair length
SL

Relaxed

Goal Month
July 2013

When rocking buns and ponytails,
Cowash once a week
Poo and deep condition once a week
Moisturise and seal daily and massage scalp with JBCO
No heat

When rocking braids,
Spritz with water then braid spray and massage scalp with JBCO
No washes- I keep the braids in for a month; if needed i'll clean my scalp with witch hazel

Try to stop touching/thinking/daydreaming about my hair

Post a beginning picture

image-4168464389.jpg

ETA: adding mn back to my reggie as I just realised I got my most growth with that back in July/August.

Last edited:

Deziyah

Thank you so much for starting this challenge!! I am definitely in, this will be my first challenge!

Current hair length?
About Neck Length

Just recently decided to just straight Transition to Natural..... last relaxer 7/25/12

Goal Month
No clue... I doubt that I will get to APL by 12/31/13 but I would love to see how long I get by the end of next year

Current Reggie and styling choices I just started my journey a month ago and I am still trying to learn my hair but so far...
Once a week:
Pre Poo: Dove Intense Repair & EVOO
Shampoo: MoroccanOil Moisture Repair Shampoo (looking to change this just using it up; Open to suggestions)
Deep Conditioning: Silk Elements MegaSilk Moisture Treatment & ORS Replenishing Conditioner

Moisture and seal ends daily: Elast QP Oil Recovery Anti-Breakage Moisturizer, Seal with my Oil Mix (EVCO, Jojoba Oil & Eucalyptus Oil)

Moisturize Roots every other day with Scurl

My goto protective style has been Bantu knots but looking to start doing twist outs and flat twist styles

Increasing my deep conditioning two 2x a week once with a co-wash and the other with a shampoo

I'm also open to any changes you ladies think I should make to my regimen :yep:

Post a beginning picture My avatar pic was taken about a month ago so its pretty recent; but I will try to see if I can get a good pic this weekend to post after my hair has her spa day

Lets do it ladies!!!! :yay:

charmtreese

I'm in!

Current hair length: SL in back, chin length on sides, and bridge of my nose in front. (about 6-7 inches)

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: natural

Goal Month: Dec 2013

Reggie and styling choices: lo manipulation, heavy moisture, weekly protein, weaves & phony ponies

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Up water intake, starting an exercise regimen, and vitamins

Post a beginning picture: will post later

ETA Starting picture:

Attachments

• image-1284201327.jpg
    image-1284201327.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 57
  • image-1019222115.jpg
    image-1019222115.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

lamaria211

As a graduate of NikkiQ's apl2012 challenge I'm here to congratulate you ladies on you hhj so far and to wish you all the best. Stay positive and motivated because it can be done:)

Hyacinthe

Current hair length
SL

relaxed

Goal Month
July 2012

i wash my hair once a week
prepoo before every wash
DC is my bestest friend..:yep:so i make sure not to skip this step no matter what.
I have porous strands so I use roux PC after every wash and my final step is always a ACV rinse
moisturize and seal every day or every other day mostly at night
i massage my scalp everyday or every other day

my go to protective style is a bun

my reggie is pretty solid just have to tweak a few things and working on getting a steamer:lick: i know that would take my HHJ to the next dimension

Post a beginning picture
I will post a pic on monday after my TU

alanaturelle

Current hair length: I'm not sure but I might be between NL and SL. I'm not doing an official check till 18 months post-BC when I hope to be SL.

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Natural

Goal Month: I'm hoping to make APL by July 23rd which will mark the second year anniversary of my second big chop!!!!!!

Current Reggie and styling choices: My regimen is very simple: Weekly Prepoo-Wash- DC - Moisturize and Seal - Cornrow. Right now I'm in individual braids but my usual protective style consists of wigging. I have been wigging since January 1st. I'm hoping to switch to buns sometimes in Spring

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? I don't really plan on changing on regimen but I like to try new products. Yep, I might be a product junkie but I'm in denial, :nono:

Post a beginning picture: I'll post a beginning picture after Dec 31st!!!!

HHJ!!!!

hairqueen7

Yes this is what I need
Current length: cbl
Styling: twist under a wig
Goal month: august 2013
Reggie: wash/dc bi-weekly, m&s with oil scalp every other day ,no heat till I hit apl
Won't be changing anything except drink more h20.
Starting length: will post on Dec 31 2012

LovLeeLaDee

After lurking long enough, this will be my first challenge. I'm excited to embark on this journey with everyone, learn some things, and share some things I've learned.

Current hair length
CBL
Natural
Goal Month
August 2013
#1- henna monthly, everything else is a mix of DC, wash, condition, flat iron(leave out), M&S, weekly/daily with various products
PS style of choice: half-wigs! Love em, can't live without em
Not to sound cocky, but I'm good! LOL! Just got my regimen down, so I'm not changing anything at the moment. If I do, y'all will be the firsts to know!
Post a beginning picture

image-1772356775.jpg

I'm a SlowGrower, but it's koo!
Lets get it ladies!

briana87

[*]Current hair length
When I measure my hair it's anywhere from 4.5 to almost 6 inches. So anywhere from EL for the shorter parts to NL for the longer parts.

[*]Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning
Natural

[*]Goal Month
Based on my growth rate, I believe I can hit APL around Oct or Nov next year.

[*]Current Reggie and styling choices
-Shampoo (as needed) with Shea moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo
-DC (as needed) with ORS replenishing pak conditioner
-moisturize w/ glycerin+water mix (I've found this to be a holy grail for my hair; it LOVES it)
-seal w/ Hollywood beauty olive oil
-low manipulation (no heat, careful detangling, no scissor happiness!)
-I haven't decided yet if I wanted to (or when I wanted to) us protective styling. Yesterday I took out my braids because they were becoming more of a hassle than what it was worth. I may do some Nubian twists for the holidays after I reach my one year bc anniversary (which is not long from now!)

[*]What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?
-I really want to wear my own hair more often. I've had it in protective styles for over half the year. I really hope to not get frustrated with my hair and learn some cute styles along the way.

[*]Post a beginning picture
-November 19 will be my one year bc anniversary so I will update this thread by posting a pic then.

HHG ladies and good luck!!

TwoSnapsUp

Current hair length: Neck Length

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Relaxed

Goal Month: April

Current Reggie and styling choices: M&S daily, DC at least 2x weekly, PS is gibson tuck and bunning

upping my DC to 2x week, adding honey to at least 1 DC

Post a beginning picture: soon!

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
So I shampooed, dced, moisturized and sealed, then styled for the week. I wear twists pinned up for a week, then wash and repeat. I'm trying to get my protein/moisture balance right because since starting my hhj in May, I haven't had a protein treatment. I'm experiencing a bit of breakage and my hair is fine. I thought I scored by dcing with Creme of Nature Professional Nourishing & Strengthening Treatment, but it has hydrolyzed wheat protein, which I found out just helps absorb moisture better.

I'm still looking for a protein treatment, but want to start light by trying Aphogee 2 minute or AO GPB. I think I will go with the latter. Any other suggestions?

ETA: I just measured my hair for the first time ever and its around 7 to 7.5 inches everywhere except my poor crown which is 6.5. My crown has always been a trouble spot.

Last edited:

BEAUTYU2U

:welcome3: Welcome to all the newbies, former lurkers, and first-time challengers!!

Froreal3 - I just tried the Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment and I think it's a new stable for my fine hair. You might want to check it out.

youwillrise

i kinda want to join this, but not sure.

maybe i should stay away from length challenges lol...i'll keep thinking about it.