APL 2012 Challenge

newnyer

Hey chicas!!! You knew I couldn't stay away for long! I can't click the thanks button from my phone but I'll be sure to get to it as soon as I get on my PC....anywho....

Length: SL

Goal month: March 2012 (hoping my next trim isn't too traumatic)

Current reggie: Stretch relaxers from 9-13 weeks (yeah I know, 9 isn't much of a stretch to some of you ladies), wash & DC once a week w/ Shea Moisture, utilize light protein treatments every other week, co-wash once a week (V05), Giovanni Direct Leave-in w/ added silk protein after all washes, use steamer as needed, moisturize & seal almost daily, bun @ least 5 days a week (have to for work anyway)

Changing reggie? I did henna glosses a few times already & liked it so I think I may make that a regular part of my reggie. My only issue was I apparently have problems washing it completely out. Ugh! Also, I think I am also going to get a sew in for a couple of winter months as a PS. I won't make the same mistake I did last time and be a serial weaver though...I'll be sure to give my hair a break after my install.

Pics: taken after my last relaxer about 3 wks ago...

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using myTouch_4G_Slide

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1320112652747.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1320112652747.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 120

melisandre

~Current hair length: SL

~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural

~APL goal month: Oct 2012 (two years after my last relaxer)

~Current Reggie and styling choices: Currently, I wash and deep condition my hair once a week. I moisturize with my Kimmaytube leave-in every other day or so. My styling choices are primarily two strand twists, buns (on straightened hair), and braid/twist outs.

~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? I plan to straighten my hair less often and to use a steamer for deep conditioning.

~Post a beginning picture: I will post one before the challenge begins :yep:

Meemee6223

~Current hair length - SL

~Relaxed

~APL goal month - June would be nice

~Current Reggie and styling choices - Protective style everyday. Co wash once a week w/cheapie condish. Wash, and DC once a week with aphogee and ors replenishing condish. Moisturize and seal once a day with neutragena triple silk and evoo. Air dry. Flat iron once or twice a month.

~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? I may start washing my hair less and see what happens. I also need to find a protective style that I don't have to manipulate everyday. I am still on the lookout for products that work for my hair. I might try micro braids or kinky twist and see if that helps.

~Post a beginning picture - Will post a picture soon.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

AryaStarr258

I've been waiting for this challenge!!

~Current hair length
CBL

~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd
Relaxed

~APL goal month
June 2012

~Current Reggie and styling choices
Wash and DC 1x a week, cowash 2-3x, moisturize every other day. Then bun like crazy. MINIMAL heat. Stretch relaxers every 16 weeks.

~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?
My laziness levels!!!!! They need to go down, and fast!:wallbash:

~Post a beginning picture
I'll do this when I get a touch-up in November.

Missjae09

~Current hair lengthSL
~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd Natural
~APL goal monthuummm.....July
~Current Reggie and styling choices I will alternate my DC with Alter Ego and Dumb blonde (protein). I moisturize with shea moisture deep treatment mask and with my modified version of the kimmaytube leave in (I've added water and wgo or hemp oil for ceramides) for styles: 2 strand twists, braid and twist outs, flat twist sets and my go to puff.
~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? nothing
~Post a beginning picture... will post asap

Last edited:

skraprchik

This is the challenge for me. Thanks for starting it!

~Current hair length: CBL in the back, NL on the sides.
~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural
~APL goal month: November 2012
~Current Reggie and styling choices: Shampoo and DC weekly with whatever I have on hand. Stretch with fat twists or a roller set, which I take out to put hair up. I've committed to wearing my hair up in some protective hairstyle for the next 6 months.
~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Not changing anything.
~Post a beginning picture: I will post the next time I stretch with a roller set.

Last edited:

NikkiQ

And the list keeps going!!!

Question for the ladies: will APL be the longest your hair has ever been or is this a milestone you are revisiting??

30something

Current hair length
NL
Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd
Natural
~APL goal month
Dec, 2012
Shampoo and deep conditioning once a week, flat iron or air dry
Continue what I been doing

I will later.

30something

Question for the ladies: will APL be the longest your hair has ever been or is this a milestone you are revisiting??

Yep, and this time I'm very confident that I will reach there. I has been APL it was very thin and wispy and uneven.

kittenz

I'll be revisiting. I made it APL at some point after my hair obsession calmed down then I started transitioning in Jan. of this year and my obsession is back in full effect. :lachen:

NikkiQ

:lol: I'll be revisiting APL...after like 10 years :look: and as a natural! Lord knows when I was relaxed and APL, you couldn't tell me NOTHIN!!! I'm gonna be whippin my shrunken hair when I hit APL like I'm the ish. People gonna look at me like I'm insane shaking around a fro :lachen:

kittenz

@NikkiQ this will be my first time being natural so I'll be shaking my fro too (we should try not to break our necks :look:)

APL in 2012 might be a difficult target for me because it'll be less than 2 yrs since my last relaxer and I think I'm a slow grower but I'll give it a shot. I'm hoping my retention will be better as a natural.... if I can keep my hands off my NG.

newnyer

It will be the longest my hair has ever been! I was one of those women that always got talked out of trying to grow my hair long. I bought the hype that my hair just couldn't reach past a certain length. :(

NikkiQ

@NikkiQ this will be my first time being natural so I'll be shaking my fro too (we should try not to break our necks :look:)

APL in 2012 might be a difficult target for me because it'll be less than 2 yrs since my last relaxer and I think I'm a slow grower but I'll give it a shot. I'm hoping my retention will be better as a natural.... if I can keep my hands off my NG.

We're not gonna have any talking like that in here young lady! You're gonna make APL whether you believe it or not! How much do you usually grow on average in a month? I think I may be a slow grower too.

NikkiQ

It will be the longest my hair has ever been! I was one of those women that always got talked out of trying to grow my hair long. I bought the hype that my hair just couldn't reach past a certain length. :(

Okay...say what?? Well you can tell them haters to kiss it when you make it to APL.

kittenz

The challenge hasn't even begun and I'm breaking rules :lachen: NO NEGATIVITY!! I WILL MAKE APL!!

I haven't sucessfully measured my growth rate because I couldn't manange to keep all my ends for an accurate measurement. When I did start noticing growth (and made it to APL) I wasn't taking note of my hair, I slacked off big time. To be honest any length I keep this year will be awesome because my hair with be healthy ends and all.

Good luck everyone!!! HHG!!

Poutchi

Hey!!!!! I am sooo excited about this challenge!!! Thanks NikkiQ for starting it!
~Current hair length : I think I am close to Shoulder Length, will maybe flat Iron this week end and will take a starting picture
~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd : Natural ( Yes !!!)
~APL goal month December 2012 ( yeah I think I am a slow grower...)
~Current Reggie and styling choices...Still not sure...I am going thru a using up of my products before i buy any new products so my regi is not consistent per say
~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? I will probably PS a lot. But that is what I have always done. Howver I will wear less single braids with extensions since I tend to ignore my hair when i do this style and end up with lots of hair loss after
~Post a beginning picture...Will do

Good luck to everyone :)

Missjae09

Definitely the longest my hair has been in life! My hair is currently longer than it has ever been as an adult!

I'm so excited about beginning the journey to APL! I now now what works for my hair and what doesn't... so I'm looking forward to having a SETBACK FREE year!

faithVA

I think APL will be the longest my hair has ever been. Unfortunately when I was relaxed I didn't pay attention to the actual length. I know it would have been beyond shoulder but I didn't even know anything about APL :ohwell:

Regardless, APL will be the longest my hair has been in many, many, many, many years.

transitioning?

I was apl before when I was 12 pre relaxer but my ends were a mess. I'm so ready to have semi long hair

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

caltron

~Current hair length

between SL and APL

Relaxed

~APL goal month

July 2012

I really don't take care of my hair as well as I could. I flatiron on low heat daily and use a small amount of moisturizer every so often. I do wash and use a moisturizing conditioner once a week.

I have still been getting good growth, so I won't make changes to my daily routine right now because of time constraints. I would like to start steaming or roller setting once a month or so though.

Coming soon...

APL will be the longest my hair has been in my adult life. Actually, my length now is the longest it's been in my adult life.

Last edited:

Loves Harmony

I would like to join...
I am natural...
I will start protecting style here soon when I interview a stylist. Will stop coloring my hair, stay on top baby my ends, and leave my hair alone.

weekly:
Wash once a week
Dc twice a week
Moisturize daily
Protein once a week after wash

Sent from my SCH-I500 using SCH-I500

TLC1020

Nope, not the longest and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.. I shall see if it will be difficult this time around. :ohwell:

transitioning?

~Current hair length
SL/CBL

Natural

~APL goal month
Feb 2012
Full APL June 2012

Twists for 2 weeks out for 1-2 weeks.
MudWash 1-3 times per month depending on if my hair is out of twists
Only comb prior to twists or braiding
DC once a month. (I'm still looking for the perfect all natural deep conditioner)
Beemine sulphur every other day when in twists.

~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Nothing right now. I will reass my regi if I don't hit APL by Feb

~Post a beginning pic

Pic coming soon

newnyer

Okay...say what?? Well you can tell them haters to kiss it when you make it to APL.

Chile the first place I'm heading after being well into APL-land is my old stylist from back home. I'm going to swang my hair 'til I get whiplash, say YES this IS mine, NO I will not need your services, and walk the heck out with a neck spasm & all. That darn serial trimmer......