APL 2012 Challenge

Guinan

Re-Branding
Hi ladies, i am fairly new to the whole site, and i have never officially introduced myself until now. Been lurking for a while, and i have to admit that this thread has to be the most lively, welcoming, and funny i have been reading. And nikkiQ you are an excellent host. Thank you to all of you ladies for tips, shared stories, and inspirational pictures. And the ninjas have me rolling laughing; congratulations though for making it to apl. Don't want to hold yall back but it feels good to have you guys around hanging out with the shoulder length crew. Anyways a little about me.
I have been relaxed for about 15 years, never grew my hair past maybe neck length. When i got pregnant, my hair grew strong and closed to apl with no help from me. I used to just go to the dominican salon for a wash and set using their product which is what i did before the pregnancy as well. 3 months after my c-section (february 2011) SHEDDING massive SHEDDING. I will post pictures when i learn how to. The shedding and breakage continued until september 2012 when i started looking into healthy hair care. I discovered lhcf, and laughed it off thinking yall were delusional. But i was so desperate i decided to incorporate some of the techniques like pre pooing, no sulfate poo, moisturize and seal with coconut oil. 2 things happened: no more dandruff, and no more tangles while detangling. So i registered without subscribing. Slowly got to become a product junkie, started on hairffinity and my hair was doing great. Then breakage again, by then i was above shoulder length with thin and see through ends. Looking at the products i introduced last, i realized that my hair hates alo vera (weird). I had started using SM moisture retention poo, and jane carter's leave in both with aloe vera high in the ingredient list. I tried everything to help with the breakage Nothing. Then i stopped using everything i had and started using all kerastase product. My breakage stopped, and my hair was good again. Last month, after stucking divachyck whom i love i started using beemine balanced moisturizer daily, Bad idea. I later realized that aloe vera is one of the ingredient. So right now i am trying to manage that breakage and try to make to APL by dec 2013. I forgot to say i stopped perming in february 2012, possibly transitioning if i can manage that breakage. my regimen right now is as followed:
Prepoo with coconut oil and olive oil
Sampoo with kerastase bain de force poo ( sulfate)
DC with Kerastase masquintense for thick hair for 30 mn with heat
Leave in S curl
Seal with Pura dor argan oil 100% organic
Air dry
Clarify once a month with vo5 clarifying poo
Co wash once a week with hair one olive oil followed by kerastase masquintense mixed with ors rp or kerastase oleo relax masque.
Protein every 2 weeks with kerastase masque force architecte no heat followed by masqueintense thick if i am going to airdry or nutrithermique if i am blowdrying my roots. Heat protectant is Argan oil mixed with grapeseed oil and kerastase elixir ultime.
I m&s everyday, with Scurl and castor oil. I take hairfinnity everyday, sleep in my satin cap everynight. I wear my hair in a single braid and tuck the ends inside everyday as my protective style. I only wear my hair down every other weekend when i go out with DH.
Unfortunately for me my hair loves the expensive stuff. I did try the cheap things believe me i did. Right now i have a tons of products that i am afraid to use cause i cant afford another set back: Macademia nut oil deep repair masque, Proclaim intense hydrating masque, bottles of AOGPB, AOHR, AOWC, SM moisture retention poo, Aphogee 2 steps, aphogee balanced conditioner, aphogee 2 mn Bee mine balance moisturizer, Jane carter leave in spray, . While some of these didn't cause set back, but they did nothing for my hair. The only cheap stuff my hair loves is S curl and ORS replenishing pack. My favorite treatment is ORS repleninshing pack mixed with kerastase masqintense under plastic cap no heat for 2 hours or more. Everytime result is strong moisturized hair, no breakage during detangling or styling for at least 3 days. Everytime i rinse it out i ask my self : Why the H**l do i bother with anything else. My hair loves them both alone, but together is like and explosion. Another favorite is SE mega silk DC. Although i don't like how my hair feels while applying or after rinsing, but the next day my hair is so soft i dont even want to m&s.
I recently started massaging JBCO to my scalp daily to help with all that thinning.
State of my hair right now: Shoulder length, healthy scalp and roots with some damaged relaxed ends that i am slowly trimming away. I currently am recovering from the bee mine related breakage. Tomorrow i will wash and dc with my famous mix , and cornrow under a wig for a week. That's gonna be my style for the whole of july.
Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading. And please make any suggestion for ways i can better my regimen. Also help with how to post progress pictures.

I like your protective style. I haven't done a french braid in years! I also use S-Curl as my moisturizer too. I really like that stuff. Your reggie looks good.

NikkiQ

ronie welcome to the challenge and to LHCF!! I'll b sure to update the list when I get back home.

Nola has been picked up and even though she's super tired,she's doing much better! Thanks for all the well wishes ladies. I am one happy fur mommy.

View attachment 2012-07-05 15.01.09.jpg

Sent by me from my Android phone.Boom

MsSonya

Oh she's super cute. You are gonna make me wanna got out and get a puppy. I have been thinking about it for some time, don't worry. Lol. Glad to hear the good news.

PinkPeony

NikkiQ hope your dog feels better soon

Finally undid my braids and retired the wig till it cools down a little.
My hair is in chunky braids piled into a tiny bun. It looks kinda pathetic but it's too hot for anything else.

No pics for my length check but I undid one braid and measured about 1- 1.5 inch to Apl.
This is my last length check in apr

Hope to be there by the end of the year.

livinthevida

Agreed!!:yep:

claud-uk Its not like I was keeping a list or anything *crosses claud off the list* :lachen:

NikkiQ :bighug: Sending BIG e-hugs your way!

livinthevida I like WGHO scent too it doesnt bother me...I just worry what others think with my hair smelling so...so...spicy! :lol:
Fyne TOO FUNNY!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I read up on WGHO before settling on using it as my next go-to oil and most of the reviews were of its smell. I think the smell can be worse on very wet to damp hair if a bit too much is applied. I apply WGHO to dry hair and the smell is a-ok ;) just like applying OCO the scent fades throughout the day (yet I apply very little I think if I applied more the scents could be stronger)

livinthevida

Hi ladies, i am fairly new to the whole site, and i have never officially introduced myself until now. Been lurking for a while, and i have to admit that this thread has to be the most lively, welcoming, and funny i have been reading. And nikkiQ you are an excellent host. Thank you to all of you ladies for tips, shared stories, and inspirational pictures. And the ninjas have me rolling laughing; congratulations though for making it to apl. Don't want to hold yall back but it feels good to have you guys around hanging out with the shoulder length crew. Anyways a little about me.
I have been relaxed for about 15 years, never grew my hair past maybe neck length. When i got pregnant, my hair grew strong and closed to apl with no help from me. I used to just go to the dominican salon for a wash and set using their product which is what i did before the pregnancy as well. 3 months after my c-section (february 2011) SHEDDING massive SHEDDING. I will post pictures when i learn how to. The shedding and breakage continued until september 2012 when i started looking into healthy hair care. I discovered lhcf, and laughed it off thinking yall were delusional. But i was so desperate i decided to incorporate some of the techniques like pre pooing, no sulfate poo, moisturize and seal with coconut oil. 2 things happened: no more dandruff, and no more tangles while detangling. So i registered without subscribing. Slowly got to become a product junkie, started on hairffinity and my hair was doing great. Then breakage again, by then i was above shoulder length with thin and see through ends. Looking at the products i introduced last, i realized that my hair hates alo vera (weird). I had started using SM moisture retention poo, and jane carter's leave in both with aloe vera high in the ingredient list. I tried everything to help with the breakage Nothing. Then i stopped using everything i had and started using all kerastase product. My breakage stopped, and my hair was good again. Last month, after stucking divachyck whom i love i started using beemine balanced moisturizer daily, Bad idea. I later realized that aloe vera is one of the ingredient. So right now i am trying to manage that breakage and try to make to APL by dec 2013. I forgot to say i stopped perming in february 2012, possibly transitioning if i can manage that breakage. my regimen right now is as followed:
Prepoo with coconut oil and olive oil
Sampoo with kerastase bain de force poo ( sulfate)
DC with Kerastase masquintense for thick hair for 30 mn with heat
Leave in S curl
Seal with Pura dor argan oil 100% organic
Air dry
Clarify once a month with vo5 clarifying poo
Co wash once a week with hair one olive oil followed by kerastase masquintense mixed with ors rp or kerastase oleo relax masque.
Protein every 2 weeks with kerastase masque force architecte no heat followed by masqueintense thick if i am going to airdry or nutrithermique if i am blowdrying my roots. Heat protectant is Argan oil mixed with grapeseed oil and kerastase elixir ultime.
I m&s everyday, with Scurl and castor oil. I take hairfinnity everyday, sleep in my satin cap everynight. I wear my hair in a single braid and tuck the ends inside everyday as my protective style. I only wear my hair down every other weekend when i go out with DH.
Unfortunately for me my hair loves the expensive stuff. I did try the cheap things believe me i did. Right now i have a tons of products that i am afraid to use cause i cant afford another set back: Macademia nut oil deep repair masque, Proclaim intense hydrating masque, bottles of AOGPB, AOHR, AOWC, SM moisture retention poo, Aphogee 2 steps, aphogee balanced conditioner, aphogee 2 mn Bee mine balance moisturizer, Jane carter leave in spray, . While some of these didn't cause set back, but they did nothing for my hair. The only cheap stuff my hair loves is S curl and ORS replenishing pack. My favorite treatment is ORS repleninshing pack mixed with kerastase masqintense under plastic cap no heat for 2 hours or more. Everytime result is strong moisturized hair, no breakage during detangling or styling for at least 3 days. Everytime i rinse it out i ask my self : Why the H**l do i bother with anything else. My hair loves them both alone, but together is like and explosion. Another favorite is SE mega silk DC. Although i don't like how my hair feels while applying or after rinsing, but the next day my hair is so soft i dont even want to m&s.
I recently started massaging JBCO to my scalp daily to help with all that thinning.
State of my hair right now: Shoulder length, healthy scalp and roots with some damaged relaxed ends that i am slowly trimming away. I currently am recovering from the bee mine related breakage. Tomorrow i will wash and dc with my famous mix , and cornrow under a wig for a week. That's gonna be my style for the whole of july.
Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading. And please make any suggestion for ways i can better my regimen. Also help with how to post progress pictures.

I tried to attach my starting pictures. In those pictures i am 4 months post relaxer. My hair is washed, dc'd and i blow dried the roots. Taken 3 weeks ago.
Welcome ronie! Thanks for sharing your reggie very happy to see coconut oil is listed here! I think you'll continue to see good improvement on the breakage and will reach APL soon!

@ronie welcome to the challenge and to LHCF!! I'll b sure to update the list when I get back home.
Nola has been picked up and even though she's super tired,she's doing much better! Thanks for all the well wishes ladies. I am one happy fur mommy.
Sent by me from my Android phone.Boom
NikkiQ she looks so cute & really happy to be heading home ;)

@NikkiQ hope your dog feels better soon
Finally undid my braids and retired the wig till it cools down a little.
My hair is in chunky braids piled into a tiny bun. It looks kinda pathetic but it's too hot for anything else.
No pics for my length check but I undid one braid and measured about 1- 1.5 inch to Apl.
This is my last length check in apr

Hope to be there by the end of the year.
PinkPeony these don't look bad at all :wink2: You are very close to reaching APL too!

Iluvsmuhgrass

I posted that I wasn't happy with my grass after flat ironing. My hair is fine and straightens pretty easily. I think these will explain why I'm irritated.

1st pic - Naked hair taken June 12th. Getting ready to blow dry on low heat.
2nd pic - Hair stretched with twists and leave-ins
3rd pic - Flat iron close shot of roots
4th pic - Progress pic flat ironed... *sigh* :nono: It looks exactly like it did relaxed only it's healthier now. When I blowdry it, It gets straighter than most on medium heat.
5th pic - Up close of hair. Sedu serum used sparingly. Nothing else.

Attachments

• IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 48
  • July_2012_IMG_1246.jpg
    July_2012_IMG_1246.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 48
  • July_2012_IMG_1265.jpg
    July_2012_IMG_1265.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 53
  • July_2012_IMG_1272.jpg
    July_2012_IMG_1272.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 58
  • July_2012_IMG_1238.jpg
    July_2012_IMG_1238.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 52

NikkiQ

Iluvsmuhgrass can I come smack you right now? Your flat ironed hair is GORGEOUS! it looks so healthy and shiny. Why are you upset? You said yourself that it's healthier

Iluvsmuhgrass

Iluvsmuhgrass can I come smack you right now? Your flat ironed hair is GORGEOUS! it looks so healthy and shiny. Why are you upset? You said yourself that it's healthier

NikkiQ Yeah you can lol. I need it. I mean... it's really soft and has movement even though I used the 7/8 setting on my Maxiglide and with this heat (90s-100s) it's still straight. :ohwell: I was hoping that it'd be thicker. See the pic of my pony with the kitchen/cafeteria area? I wanted that puppy to be friggen HUUUUUGE.

Girl I don't know if it's hair anorexia, hormones, or what. It just seems like it's such slow going right now. I'm taking care of myself and my hair... but it's just sitting there lol. I need to put it away before I get tempted to do something drastic. :nono:

Attachments

• July_2012_IMG_1276.jpg
    July_2012_IMG_1276.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 44

NaturalfienD

NikkiQ I am happy that Nola is doing better and back home … that's good news! Rub her tummy for me ;)

ronie ~ welcome to the challenge girlfriend, your regimen looks great and I am sure you will be APL in no time. HHG!!!

ravenhairedcharm

I posted that I wasn't happy with my grass after flat ironing. My hair is fine and straightens pretty easily. I think these will explain why I'm irritated.

1st pic - Naked hair taken June 12th. Getting ready to blow dry on low heat.
2nd pic - Hair stretched with twists and leave-ins
3rd pic - Flat iron close shot of roots
4th pic - Progress pic flat ironed... *sigh* :nono: It looks exactly like it did relaxed only it's healthier now. When I blowdry it, It gets straighter than most on medium heat.
5th pic - Up close of hair. Sedu serum used sparingly. Nothing else.

Iluvsmuhgrass Your hair looks soft and shiny :yep: You know what I'd suggest for a fuller look, go with a rollerset on your flat ironed hair. There's a ton of tutorials on how to do it on youtube. Curls will "pump up" the volume in your hair and give you a beautiful style.

ronie Welcome to the challenge and LHCF :welcome:

pelohello Those curls! So pretty!

Last edited:

texasqt

Disclaimer: I don't know what ninja means in this thread yet but I saw this and it made me think LHCF.

Attachments

• image-4117758221.jpg
    image-4117758221.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 41

ravenhairedcharm

NikkiQ Thank you. I just feel like it's such slow going to MBL. BTW your coily colored curlies always make me smile. :yep:

simplyevanescent I completely forgot about that! I could sooo hug you right now. :bighug: off to watch a few tuts now.

Aww no problem girl, glad I could help. :lol: Make sure you get the right size rollers for your hair length. Bigger rollers for more of a wave or smaller rollers if you prefer a tighter curl that you can separate a little. Mahoganycurls on youtube has a tutorial, but her hair is way past APL, you'll probably need smaller rollers for a similar effect. Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwjmqzCd7NA&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL24AAFEEF2A69D14F

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
This is why I love this challenge. I really do enjoy the funny, helpful, and encouraging posts shared here from you all. :hug2:

lamaria211

NikkiQ said:
lamaria211 11 pitbulls??? That's a lot of dogs lol. DH is freakin out at the thought of 4 :lol:

I really had one but she had puppies and we are having a hard time getting them sold:) they are killing my grocery budget!!! But theyre so freakin cute:)

NikkiQ

Took my twists down yesterday and they were short (as usual) and frizzy on the ends. So I just braided them into big Celies and just stuck em under my bonnet.

MsSonya

Did the caramel treatment, kept in on for about 4hrs w/o heat and 30mins w/heat. Will put it in a high bun so I can stretch my hair. Hopefully, I can wear a decent twistout this wknd. :)

NikkiQ

Did the caramel treatment, kept in on for about 4hrs w/o heat and 30mins w/heat. Will put it in a high bun so I can stretch my hair. Hopefully, I can wear a decent twistout this wknd. :)

Well that sounds REALLY freakin good!!! What all was in this treatment with the caramel?

NikkiQ

Gonna start back on a weekly routine again of shampooing, DC, detangle and Celies/twists until my hair is long enough to bun.