Attention Braid Wearers.....(long)

SNyeema

..and anyone else who just wants to read (smile). Okay, so I have single braids. They are about the size a pencil in width and braided to the end using synthetic hair. The hair was dipped, not burned so it doesn't snag my clothes.

So, I typically don't wash my hair while in braids. They usually stay in for about a month or so. But I'm natural under the braids and really miss washing my hair daily. So I decided to just go ahead and wash my hair. They've been in for about 3 weeks and contrary to popular belief, my hair does not stink. But there was a little build up of hair grease (still a user and will never stop. if it ain't broke.......) and braid spray.

So, I'm in the shower and I let the water run down on my head just to loosen the dirt a little. While I'm standing there I take a glance at my shower sponge that I have hanging from the little shower basket thingy and a thought pops up. "hmm, I wonder if I can use that to wash my hair?" So, I exit the shower and get a fresh sponge, hop back in and apply my shampoo (Fantasia Tea Tree Shampoo). Squeeze a little in the center of the sponge, rub in, and then I started rubbing the sponge all over my head. MANNNNNNN, let me tell you. That felt SOOO good. I could just feel the little netting moving around on my scalp. I think I have the cleanest scalp in the country right about now because I just couldn't stop. Not to mention, I could really make sure I got the area's that I may have missed if I just used the diluted shampoo and my fingertips.

So after a wash I conditioned the regular way. Just poured a little conditioner in a cup (Fantasia Tea Tree Conditioner) and diluted it. Then poured it over my head and washed up while it sat for a while. After that, I rinsed, towel dried and applied my hair grease (Hollywood's Sulphur). After using the tea tree shampoo and conditioner and the sulpher for hair grease, I felt like I had the vapors from the neck up!! I was like a cool breeze up in there!!

Anyway, sorry to ramble but I just wanted to let you know that you should try using the sponge to shampoo your hair when in single braids. You won't have to worry about fuzziness or snags because of the texture of the sponge, you get a change to really get in your scalp good and get the places you otherwise may have missed. This gentle yet effective technique is a definite keeper for me.

Thanks for listening.

thanks SO much for sharing SNyeema I am getting braids in Dec(or late Nov.) and was wondering how to wash/condition my hair.

SNyeema said:
..and anyone else who just wants to read (smile). Okay, so I have single braids. They are about the size a pencil in width and braided to the end using synthetic hair. The hair was dipped, not burned so it doesn't snag my clothes.

So, I typically don't wash my hair while in braids. They usually stay in for about a month or so. But I'm natural under the braids and really miss washing my hair daily. So I decided to just go ahead and wash my hair. They've been in for about 3 weeks and contrary to popular belief, my hair does not stink. But there was a little build up of hair grease (still a user and will never stop. if it ain't broke.......) and braid spray.

So, I'm in the shower and I let the water run down on my head just to loosen the dirt a little. While I'm standing there I take a glance at my shower sponge that I have hanging from the little shower basket thingy and a thought pops up. "hmm, I wonder if I can use that to wash my hair?" So, I exit the shower and get a fresh sponge, hop back in and apply my shampoo (Fantasia Tea Tree Shampoo). Squeeze a little in the center of the sponge, rub in, and then I started rubbing the sponge all over my head. MANNNNNNN, let me tell you. That felt SOOO good. I could just feel the little netting moving around on my scalp. I think I have the cleanest scalp in the country right about now because I just couldn't stop. Not to mention, I could really make sure I got the area's that I may have missed if I just used the diluted shampoo and my fingertips.

So after a wash I conditioned the regular way. Just poured a little conditioner in a cup (Fantasia Tea Tree Conditioner) and diluted it. Then poured it over my head and washed up while it sat for a while. After that, I rinsed, towel dried and applied my hair grease (Hollywood's Sulphur). After using the tea tree shampoo and conditioner and the sulpher for hair grease, I felt like I had the vapors from the neck up!! I was like a cool breeze up in there!!

Anyway, sorry to ramble but I just wanted to let you know that you should try using the sponge to shampoo your hair when in single braids. You won't have to worry about fuzziness or snags because of the texture of the sponge, you get a change to really get in your scalp good and get the places you otherwise may have missed. This gentle yet effective technique is a definite keeper for me.

Thanks for listening.

SNyeema said:

Thanks for listening.

Oooh! SN, thank you! I have single braids in right now, and I've been trying to find a good way of washing.
What kind of sponge is it? A body puff or just a regular sponge?

Thanks for the idea. It looks like I will be braiding it up in a few weeks. It's getting too cold for me to be wetting my hair every morning.

LDebagoria said:
Oooh! SN, thank you! I have single braids in right now, and I've been trying to find a good way of washing.
What kind of sponge is it? A body puff or just a regular sponge?

It's a body puff sponge. It was wonderful. I hope you like it as much as I did.

Back