Ayurveda Support Thread

twists

Flowinlocks you're an angel. Thank you for all the answers and as I thought I think I may have asked one of the questions weird, with the third question I didn't plan on adding the shikakai to the DC, I wanted to add a tiny bit of shikakai to my co wash and deep condition afterward but you still answered my question lol so thank you

but one more question, why is it bad to manipulate the paste when in the hair? I plan on massaging it into my hair and letting it sit under a cap for maybe 30 mins to a hr.

flowinlocks

Flowinlocks you're an angel. Thank you for all the answers and as I thought I think I may have asked one of the questions weird, with the third question I didn't plan on adding the shikakai to the DC, I wanted to add a tiny bit of shikakai to my co wash and deep condition afterward but you still answered my question lol so thank you

but one more question, why is it bad to manipulate the paste when in the hair? I plan on massaging it into my hair and letting it sit under a cap for maybe 30 mins to a hr.

Sorry, I should have clarified. Depends on what powders you use and how moist your mixture is..........
If you mix your powders with cond. it's ok to smooth it on the then hair till it's throughly coated. I usually part my hair and apply my mixture as I would a relaxer. I smooth it on then pull it to the ends. I don't massage it in. However if you're using powder mixed with water alone, esp. Shikakai or Aritha, it dries rather quickly, plus it makes the hair hard. There is a higher chance of experiencing breakage from manpulation. Better to be safe than sorry till you see how your hair reacts.

twists

Yea I would definitely rather be safe than sorry...and for my first time i'm just using amla and see how that goes...Thank you so much for your help flowinlocks :D

so1913

*whew* I actually read through this whole thread as well as some others.

I'm going to try this ayurvedic thing out...I've ordered my supplies (shikakai soaps, powders, empty large tea bags). My oils I actually already have... blends from Hairveda (cocast shikakai oil) and Afroveda (Shikakai Hair Elixer - was a gift I got in the summer and just took the seal off to use...should be ok I think). I'm just going to use these, there more costly than some of the other indian blends, but I believe they are good quality.

I can't wait to try it and hopefully experience some of the positive things you all have. I definitely will be keeping it on the simpler side [using mostly conditioning teas and the soaps (if they work out) to cleanse], as my attention span doesn't work well with complicate regimines.

So appreciative of all the info on this board. So much to digest but it's good to know any answers I can find on here (LHCF).

Last edited:

flowinlocks

*whew* I actually read through this whole thread as well as some others.

I'm going to try this ayurvedic thing out...I've ordered my supplies (shikakai soaps, powders, empty large tea bags). My oils I actually already have... blends from Hairveda (cocast shikakai oil) and Afroveda (Shikakai Hair Elixer - was a gift I got in the summer and just took the seal off to use...should be ok I think). I'm just going to use these, there more costly than some of the other indian blends, but I believe they are good quality.

I can't wait to try it and hopefully experience some of the positive things you all have. I definitely will be keeping it on the simpler side [using mostly conditioning teas and the soaps (if they work out) to cleanse], as my attention span doesn't work well with complicate regimines.

So appreciative of all the info on this board. So much to digest but it's good to know any answers I can find on here (LHCF).

Good luck on your journey, be sure to let us know how it's working for you.

so1913

Question...if I'm washing with a Shikakai Bar, when should I use the conditioning tea rinse IF I'm also using a creamy conditioner? After the shampoo and before the cream conditioner, or after the shampoo and the cream conditioner as a final rinse?

Also considering applying the tea rinse after shampoo bar and conditioner on top of the tea rinse and let sit for a few mins while in shower, then rinse....

Last edited:

flowinlocks

Question...if I'm washing with a Shikakai Bar, when should I use the conditioning tea rinse IF I'm also using a creamy conditioner? After the shampoo and before the cream conditioner, or after the shampoo and the cream conditioner as a final rinse?

Also considering applying the tea rinse after shampoo bar and conditioner on top of the tea rinse and let sit for a few mins while in shower, then rinse....

I wouldn't do the tea rinse and the bar in the same week, the Shikakai bar is drying, thats why prepooing is necessary. However it does leave the hair super strong. I just did a wash with the poo bar today, now I'll neeed a few days to rebuild my moisture level back up before I do my tea rinse. I usually alternate weeks between the tea and the bar. Or some times I'll use tea only and poo with the bar only when I want extra cleansing.

I'm not sure what herbs you are planning on using in your tea, but just rememeber the tea stops shedding and can also be drying. This is why a dc should follow instead of a cream rinse. I don't even do protein conds. on the days I do the bar or a tea rinse, it moisturizing conds. only.

ETA: I tried the tea and the bar on the same day and it proved to be too drying even with dcing over the tea.

guudhair

I agree...you should use one or the other...I rotate between the bar and rinse also but I don't prepoo (out of pure laziness)...

so1913

I wouldn't do the tea rinse and the bar in the same week, the Shikakai bar is drying, thats why prepooing is necessary. However it does leave the hair super strong. I just did a wash with the poo bar today, now I'll neeed a few days to rebuild my moisture level back up before I do my tea rinse. I usually alternate weeks between the tea and the bar. Or some times I'll use tea only and poo with the bar only when I want extra cleansing.

I'm not sure what herbs you are planning on using in your tea, but just rememeber the tea stops shedding and can also be drying. This is why a dc should follow instead of a cream rinse. I don't even do protein conds. on the days I do the bar or a tea rinse, it moisturizing conds. only.

ETA: I tried the tea and the bar on the same day and it proved to be too drying even with dcing over the tea.

Thanks so much for responding!

I was planning on using a combo of 3 or 4 of the following powders when using the shampoo bar (brahmi, hibiscus, maka, fenugreek, amla). I did purchase Shikakai powder, but figured I'd use that in teas on days I'm not using the shampoo bar. I actually don't know what will work out, just throwing out some ideas to try right now for feedback until my products arrive :)

Also, I planned on prepooing with coconut oil.

I don't use protein specific conditioners and mostly use moisturizing ones since protein hasn't proved to be an issue for me. I definitely don't want to follow up with a tea if it will be too drying. I usually wash my hair in the morning in the shower before heading to work, and definitely won't be able to do a traditional DC treatment of 30 mins + during the week (usually do any DC on the weekends), and wash my hair about every other day to every 3 days.

So how do I fit Ayurveda during the weekdays when I only have about 20 mins to spend in the shower in the morning?

flowinlocks

Thanks so much for responding!

I was planning on using a combo of 3 or 4 of the following powders when using the shampoo bar (brahmi, hibiscus, maka, fenugreek, amla). I did purchase Shikakai powder, but figured I'd use that in teas on days I'm not using the shampoo bar. I actually don't know what will work out, just throwing out some ideas to try right now for feedback until my products arrive :)

Also, I planned on prepooing with coconut oil.

I don't use protein specific conditioners and mostly use moisturizing ones since protein hasn't proved to be an issue for me. I definitely don't want to follow up with a tea if it will be too drying. I usually wash my hair in the morning in the shower before heading to work, and definitely won't be able to do a traditional DC treatment of 30 mins + during the week (usually do any DC on the weekends), and wash my hair about every other day to every 3 days.

So how do I fit Ayurveda during the weekdays when I only have about 20 mins to spend in the shower in the morning?

My favorite lazy mans method. Use the Ayurvedic oils at night and cowash it out in the morning.:drunk:

so1913

Yep, that way you can reap the benifits of the herbs without it being time consuming. And save your treatments for your days off. I love Bhringraj/Maka oil at night, Lol it knocks me out.

Ooooh that sounds good...i just ordered a bottle. I think doing the overnight treatments with the oils during the week is the perfect and most convienent way for me go started. I may find some time to fit your double tea rinse in one day in the week if time permits, and do the shikakai shampoo bar wash and deep condition over the weekend (or vice versa).

I literally went to 5 different Indian markets within 10-15 miles of me last weekend and they all sucked lol! I couldn't find anything I was looking for, or one place had 1 or two things, and I would leave them behind hoping the next place would carry it plus more lol. I ended up just ordering everything online...things should start popping up in the mail soon, I'm ready to get started!

If anyone knows any stores in Manhattan area to check out let me know! I commute everyday so if there's a good store locally I'd prefer that over ordering online. (I only checked around Jersey where I live)

Last edited:

so1913

Yep, that way you can reap the benifits of the herbs without it being time consuming. And save your treatments for your days off. I love Bhringraj/Maka oil at night, Lol it knocks me out.

So I got my Bhringraj oil from www.bayanbotanicals.com last week...its in a sesame oil base. So after you mentioning it knocks you out and also reading that it's good for sleeplessness, I expected this soothing, calming, pleasant scent....NOT!! LOL this stuff stinks, I can't even explain it lol. How does such a smell help you relax/fall asleep? lol Fortunately, it's not an overpowering/strong smell, fortunately I'm using it mostly for overnight prepoo and rinsing out. Also, if I do a light oil massage without plans of washing out, the cocasta oil I use on the length of my hair regularly overpowers the bhringraj scent :)

Thanks again for the suggestion!

CaliDiamond

Has anyone tried the Hesh Heenara Herbal Hair Pack? I want to try this today, but I gotta get some feedback. It looks like a henna dominant hair powder with a lot of other goodies.

flowinlocks

Has anyone tried the Hesh Heenara Herbal Hair Pack? I want to try this today, but I gotta get some feedback. It looks like a henna dominant hair powder with a lot of other goodies.

Never tried it, but it sounds good. I would mix some oil and cond. in for extra moisture.

flowinlocks

So I got my Bhringraj oil from www.bayanbotanicals.com last week...its in a sesame oil base. So after you mentioning it knocks you out and also reading that it's good for sleeplessness, I expected this soothing, calming, pleasant scent....NOT!! LOL this stuff stinks, I can't even explain it lol. How does such a smell help you relax/fall asleep? lol Fortunately, it's not an overpowering/strong smell, fortunately I'm using it mostly for overnight prepoo and rinsing out. Also, if I do a light oil massage without plans of washing out, the cocasta oil I use on the length of my hair regularly overpowers the bhringraj scent :)

Thanks again for the suggestion!

No problem, how has it been working out?

Aggie

I tried and I liked it a lot. You really don't have to add anything to it except water. I added extra amla powder because I wanted a darker color result. It came it out really nice for me and I would purchase it again.

so1913

No problem, how has it been working out?

So far so good! I started kickboxing a month or so ago, so I'm washing/rinsing my hair more frequently than 3 days. Still too early in the game to boast about the benefits of this new ayurvedic regimine, but so far my hair feels great! It stays very soft and smooth...I think I'm noticing less shedding as well. No negative experiences to report. Nightly I've been massaging with either the Bhringaraj oil (sesame base) or Brahmi Oil (coconut base), and in the morning CW or using a shampoo bar (using either a shikakai bar or non ayurvedic bar when I'm not CW) and condition. I'm still in this lazy winter mode, so for styling, I just seal with Cocasta Oil or virgin coconut oil, slick my hair back, clip it up, and go. Last weekend was my first Ayurvedic Tea Rinse with Almla, Brahmi, Bhringaraj, Hibiscus, and Fenugreek and I will be doing another one over the weekend. After washing with a non ayurvedic shampoo bar (or do the double tea rinse with a shikakai/alma blend as a cleanser, haven't decided yet) I'll apply the tea, but on a cap and let it sit for about an hour and deep condition. My tea bags are already pre-made, so I'm ready to go!

Last edited:

Galadriel

Hey ladies!

I've been using vatika oil and I am still in love with it! I finally did a hot oil treatment with it and it's perfect! My hair was soft and smooth--and shiny!

flowinlocks

So far so good! I started kickboxing a month or so ago, so I'm washing/rinsing my hair more frequently than 3 days. Still too early in the game to boast about the benefits of this new ayurvedic regimine, but so far my hair feels great! It stays very soft and smooth...I think I'm noticing less shedding as well. No negative experiences to report. Nightly I've been massaging with either the Bhringaraj oil (sesame base) or Brahmi Oil (coconut base), and in the morning CW or using a shampoo bar (using either a shikakai bar or non ayurvedic bar when I'm not CW) and condition. I'm still in this lazy winter mode, so for styling, I just seal with Cocasta Oil or virgin coconut oil, slick my hair back, clip it up, and go. Last weekend was my first Ayurvedic Tea Rinse with Almla, Brahmi, Bhringaraj, Hibiscus, and Fenugreek and I will be doing another one over the weekend. After washing with a non ayurvedic shampoo bar (or do the double tea rinse with a shikakai/alma blend as a cleanser, haven't decided yet) I'll apply the tea, but on a cap and let it sit for about an hour and deep condition. My tea bags are already pre-made, so I'm ready to go!

Sounds like you've got it down. :yep:

flowinlocks

Hey ladies!

I've been using vatika oil and I am still in love with it! I finally did a hot oil treatment with it and it's perfect! My hair was soft and smooth--and shiny!

Vatika is one of my all time favorites. I'll have to try it as a hot oil treatment, that sounds yummy.

catgurl

I just did a rinse with Hibiscus flowers and Cassia bark. The smell was lovely!

I have dk brwn hair with red undertones naturally. After the rinse the red tones seem slightly more pronounced. Has anyone else noticed this effect?

(BTW, I don't currently have any henna in my hair, so it can't be that.)

Another question: Is Cassia Bark the same stuff as the Cassia powder? I bought it as I thought it must be the same but now I'm not so sure!

CaliDiamond

Thanks Aggie! It is day two after trying Heenara and my hair is very soft and shiny. I will repurchase this again in the future!

Platinum

I'm still wearing my Senegalese Twists but I'll be taking them down soon. I'm going to take a break from extensions for a while and start back on Ayurveda. I've been doing Henna treatments between braid installs so I'll do another Henna when I take the ST's out. I love how the condition of my hair improved when I was doing Ayurvedic cowashes so I know this will definetely help with retention now that I'm almost 11 months post. :yep:

CaliDiamond

I'm still wearing my Senegalese Twists but I'll be taking them down soon. I'm going to take a break from extensions for a while and start back on Ayurveda. I've been doing Henna treatments between braid installs so I'll do another Henna when I take the ST's out. I love how the condition of my hair improved when I was doing Ayurvedic cowashes so I know this will definetely help with retention now that I'm almost 11 months post. :yep:

I love mixing the powders in my cowash conditioners. This tremendously helps with breakage.

Computer Blue

It's only mountains and the sea
I just did a rinse with Hibiscus flowers and Cassia bark. The smell was lovely!

I have dk brwn hair with red undertones naturally. After the rinse the red tones seem slightly more pronounced. Has anyone else noticed this effect?

(BTW, I don't currently have any henna in my hair, so it can't be that.)

Another question: Is Cassia Bark the same stuff as the Cassia powder? I bought it as I thought it must be the same but now I'm not so sure!

Yes this is my experience also with hibiscus in oil/ liquids.
I don't use cassia, but I think cassia stains golden, so that could make the hibiscus seem even more pronounced maybe. My natural color is the same as yours.

so1913

I am falling in love with my hair all over again. I don't know what it is..but my hair feels AWESOME! My curls look great and hair just has this very healthy look to it. I believe these nightly scalp massages with ayurvedic oils is the key to what I'm seeing. I can't wait to see the long term effects of trying this regimine, but what I'm seeing so far is motivating me to continue with it.