AYURVEDIC POWDER ADVICE + Excerpt from: Cherie Ayurveda Vol: 1

4mia

okay im a little confused i have 2 questions

first Candy C i noticed when you talke about the alma and bhring(sp) combo you use 1 tablespoon of each

when making the other combos ex. 1- shik + 2-alma is this teaspoons or tablespoons
and are you adding this to each cup of water or do you mix with 1 cup of hot water then add 1 cup of cold water
hence 2 cups of water for 1:2 ratio?

and if your using 3 powders for cleansing would i use 1aritha/1neem/2alma or 4alma since im using 2 cleansing powders?
sorry if the ?'s are dumb
tia

do anyone know the answer to this? come i know there are some more experts out there

JustKiya

I'm not an expert, by any means, but I use 2 tablesppons of amla, and one tablesppon of shikaika to about two cups of water, let steep and strain.

I don't know about other herbs.

Candy_C

okay im a little confused i have 2 questions

first Candy C i noticed when you talke about the alma and bhring(sp) combo you use 1 tablespoon of each

when making the other combos ex. 1- shik + 2-alma is this teaspoons or tablespoons
and are you adding this to each cup of water or do you mix with 1 cup of hot water then add 1 cup of cold water
hence 2 cups of water for 1:2 ratio?

and if your using 3 powders for cleansing would i use 1aritha/1neem/2alma or 4alma since im using 2 cleansing powders?
sorry if the ?'s are dumb
tia

lol your post is confusing me a little but i'll try to help.

Amla and Bhringeraj are very conditioning. I'm using as much as i feel for these. Sometimes i dump in a tablespoon of both (in essense about 3 1/2 teaspoons equivalent) it really doesnt matter with those moisturizing powders, unless your hair requires protein.

with the shikakai/amla i use teaspoons as its a more concentrated strengthening treatment/cleanser water isnt something you need to be so precise about as i mentioned in response to another ladies post.

always stick with the same water ratio for all your powders :yep:

4mia

Amla and Bhringeraj are very conditioning. I'm using as much as i feel for these. Sometimes i dump in a tablespoon of both (in essense about 3 1/2 teaspoons equivalent) it really doesnt matter with those moisturizing powders, unless your hair requires protein.

with the shikakai/amla i use teaspoons as its a more concentrated strengthening treatment/cleanser water isnt something you need to be so precise about as i mentioned in response to another ladies post.

okay i understand about mixing 2 powders, thanx
my other ? is when mixing 3 powders aritha/neem/alma, do i use 1:3?
and your not mixing the powders in seperat cups and then combining right? it sounds like your mixing the powders with 1 cup of hot water then adding a cup of cold to it? sorry i just want to make sure i do this right

1 more thing do you have other shipping options like express lol?
thanx for this thread

AvaSpeaks

Candy, where is your website? I want to order the pre-mixed mixtures...I checked your siggy, did I miss it? :ohwell:

4mia

Candy, where is your website? I want to order the pre-mixed mixtures...I checked your siggy, did I miss it? :ohwell:

its her myspace link in her siggy you have to scroll to it, and trust me everything sounds great, im tempted to order some trial sizes until i get paid and then get the bigger sizes but i want to just get it all at one time.

AvaSpeaks

its her myspace link in her siggy you have to scroll to it, and trust me everything sounds great, im tempted to order some trial sizes until i get paid and then get the bigger sizes but i want to just get it all at one time.

Oh okay, so where is the myspace link? Did I miss that?

Can someone PM it to me or Candy_C, can you post it or PM it to me?

Help a sista out :help:

Blessed2bless

Candy C,
I purchase online (sorry just found out about your website:perplexed) Hesh alma powder and Hesh shikakai powder are these okay to use 1:2 ratio. You mentioned Bhringeraj and alma powder is the best combo to use for moisture.. can I get started with the first two and have great benefits? I'll be ordering from you when I finish these.....

thanks,

maseretha

I am a newbie here. Just want to say that I am very appreciative of the information shared by you - Candy C. I began using your method after the first posting and I am so very pleased with the texture and feel of my hair after a treatment.

Candy_C

Do you always mix 1cup hot and 1cup cold water to any powder of your choice if using 2tablespoons of one powder and 1tablespoon of another powder?

Hey there. After adding a small cup of hot water (or if using a flask thats the size of a small jug fill half the jug with hot water and just enough cold to make it bearable) that all sounds great! Just make sure the treatment isnt see-through (which means too much water) you want it to be pretty murky looking and if grains are left, its ok, you can rinse these out double time with conditioner :grin:

Candy_C

Candy, I started the powders after you did your first post. I just had to see it for myself. It made my hair feel so strong and it didn't shed as much. I can hardly wait until December 2008 to see how much my hair has progressed having been on the powders for a full year! Thanks!!!:kiss:

Ahhh, good luck!! and massage that scalp!!!!

Candy_C

have u (or anybody else) experienced porosity problems when using the powders?

I've noticed my hair isnt porous, as in...it takes longer to dry and it takes longer for my hair to feel dry....its as though moisture is trapped in and my cuticles are shut. thats why i feel that spritzing hair with water ebfore applying moisturizer is a very good idea...open those cuticles with room temp water and seal them with cold creme

Candy_C

Hi Candy C, this thread is great!!!! :grin: Okay, My question is, what benefits does rose powder have and what powders should it I mix it with?

Rose water has more benefits on the skin. It can be used for a light moisturizing treat though! i use it as a body mask before i go in the bath

Candy_C

That's brilliant.

The book will be a great success as there are very few sources of such detailed information for black hair in relation to using Aryuvedic powders.

Rock on sistah!:rocker: and good luck!

Thats true, thankyou babes xx

Candy_C

What if your hair is natural. If I rinse and let my hair air dry, I will need to touch it. To plait it and pin it down if nothing is. If not, my hair will be all over the place.

Also is shikakai and Bhringeraj powder an acceptable combo to wash your hair with?

Its cool to use your fingers to manipulate your airdried hair, Your fingers are your tools, betetr than any comb.

and shikakai and bhringeraj sounds like a really good conditioning wash!!

Candy_C

Oh goodness, I am so torn! I love this thread, it is so informative. I keep going back and forth between giving up on all of this ayurvedic regimine, but I don't think I ever tried it the right way, now I may have to try it again the right way...thanks Candy.

Hey chick, try the moisturizing powders when i ndoubt, i dont think you can go wrong with them no matter the ratio :yep: just add a lil spoon of cleansing powders to start off with

Cleansing:

• Neem
  • Shikakai
  • Aritha
  • Brahmi (hair vitalizer-growth stimulant)

Moisturizing:

• Bhringeraj (AKA. Maka)
  • Amla
  • Hisbiscus
  • Rose (lightly softening)

good luck!

Candy_C

Hi Candy C,

How would you use these powders on braids?

Make sure all the grains are gone, even better, strain the grains so you're left with the liquid only.

Sont overdo the moisturizing powders, or you may find your braids slipping out

also you may want to skip oil massaging/scrubbing and lightly scitch between your partings with oil....use mahbhringeraj as this will clean your scalp and increase growth - you will be surprised when you come out of your braids!

Pour your water mixture into a spray bottle, spritz the braids ONLY and thouroughly - dont touch your braids....

then proceed to rinse out with a bowl or a jug mixed with conditioner pour half of this over your braids then rinse with water...then pour the last half of conditioner-water over your ehad and rinse again.

lightly dab dry, and then use the blowdryer about 10 cm away from your head to dry (dont worry this is indirect heat).

rub some more mahbhringeraj into your scalp and then put a durag on your head quite tight to keep your roots flat and braids neat. now blast the blowdryer over your durag-covered head....

maximum growth i tells ya

Candy_C

You can touch it. I don't think that Candy_C doesn't touch her hair after b/c she used the powders. I think that she just believes in low manipulation in general. But, I'm sure that she will be back soon to answer this herself.

I comb my hair after I rinse the powders and deep condition.

yeap, and when airdrying the cuticles naturally rise as the hair dries

airdrying and combing dont really go together...give the hair a few days to settle with grease or oil and the cuticles flatten...then you can comb a little

Candy_C

Re: AYURVEDIC WARNING!!!

Thank you so much my hair owes you....I was using a whole bag of shikaki by itself. It had a drying effect on my hair so I will stop this immediately. But I had another question. Just with the overall procedure...this is what I have been doing. Please let me know if I need to change anything....

1) Oil rinse day before with Avocado oil under a plastic cap (don't like this oil...want to use Amla as I like that better)

2) Rinse the oil out of my with water

3) Use the rinse (shikakai and amla-2 tsp each in 1 cup hot water and 1 cup cold water + another mixture of brhami and bhringeraji) and pour this on my head. Question: how does this clean my hair and is this really used like a tonic?

4) Rinse the powder out of my hair with conditioner

5) Deep condition

Did I miss anything? Thanks in advance

Yeh you will find avocado oil kinda itchy on your scalp, no? its very thick in consistency, only good in small amounts...its great for hot oil treats though..another growth stimulator!

it all sounds fantastic, just use one teaspoon of shikakai to 2 teaspoons of amla and your good to go.

Candy_C

On second thought, do the ayurvedic texts say not to comb your hair? :confused:

Can I add Vatika oil to my conditioner? I'm kind of weary about adding oil to my conditioner.

Comb your hair but just be aware you will get breakage...in small-large amounts. If you leave the hair and use fingers only for a few days after washing, then hair will be lubricated enough to comb ...with small amounts of oil i may add. You really wanan go easy on your hair, you can style it good enough with your fingers and soft boar bristle brushes...trust me!!

you dont HAVE to add oil to your conditioner, sometimes i do, sometimes i dont. if you want your hair to dry with less volume, adding wonder 8 oil is a great way...especially if you prfer to comb too, this oil is great at detangling.

I'm not a great fan of vatika as it contains lemon oil...i've always associated lemon and citrus things for dryness...but if it works for you then use it :yep:

Candy_C

I strain mine through a knee high stocking - it works wonderfully! I jsut read through this whole page, and now I'm itching for an Indian store - I need to go to a bigger one than the one I went to last time though.....

This information is FABULOUS Candy_C!! Thank you!

Your welcome sis xx

Candy_C

okay i understand about mixing 2 powders, thanx
my other ? is when mixing 3 powders aritha/neem/alma, do i use 1:3?
and your not mixing the powders in seperat cups and then combining right? it sounds like your mixing the powders with 1 cup of hot water then adding a cup of cold to it? sorry i just want to make sure i do this right

1 more thing do you have other shipping options like express lol?
thanx for this thread

Yes thats correct, dump it all in one cup/jug :yep:

aritha and neem are cleansing/growth stimulating agents...not moisturizing.

so use 1:1:2 (2 of amla) always double on moisturizing powders when using growth/protein powders

I use royal mails for my postage i'm afraid...the UK isnt great with mail options!

Candy_C

Candy C,
I purchase online (sorry just found out about your website:perplexed) Hesh alma powder and Hesh shikakai powder are these okay to use 1:2 ratio. You mentioned Bhringeraj and alma powder is the best combo to use for moisture.. can I get started with the first two and have great benefits? I'll be ordering from you when I finish these.....

thanks,

lol dont apologise you can get your powders from anywhere, its good to be in control of your hair and what u put in it.

hesh are great i use these

the ratio is fine also

shikakai and amla are great, a perfect combination you will get a lot of growth from these if you're consistant!

Candy_C

I am a newbie here. Just want to say that I am very appreciative of the information shared by you - Candy C. I began using your method after the first posting and I am so very pleased with the texture and feel of my hair after a treatment.

Ahhh yur welcome!!

4mia

candy c thanks for all the replies, i know its alot of ?'s so thank you for taking the time

Ballerina_Bun

I love this thread. It's so interesting.

I had a shikakai mishap in August. I forgot to mix it with other powders and my hair was virtually impossible to tangle, and this was after swimming :perplexed

BTW ...your book was fun to read! I love reading haircare books for fun :grin:

Last edited: