Beat The Heat: Hot Girls 2014

syncerelyhis

:heated: BEAT THE HEAT: HOT GIRLS 2014 :heated:

This Challenge is for all of the ladies who will be using direct heat at least once per month RESPONSIBLY this year and want to share healthy hair practices to retain length and health.

Don't be shy! I know you are out there. Hopefully we will not get kicked off the forum for this Challenge :lachen:

Let's show everyone that you can use heat and still retain length!

RULES
:pyro:You may not use direct heat more than once per week.
:pyro:You must deep condition each time you use direct heat.
:pyro:You must use a heat protectant each time you use direct heat.

WINNERS:congrats:
At the end of the year we will have small prizes for the top two length retainers! *You must have posted regular updates in order to be considered.*
1st Place - $25 Sally Beauty Supply Gift Card
2nd Place - $10 Sally Beauty Supply Gift Card

To join the challenge by December 31, 2013 please like this post and mention me @syncerelyhis and answer the following questions:

1-What is your hair type and starting length? Relaxed or natural?
2-Short version of your regimen.
3-What type of direct heat do you plan to use? How often?
4-What heat protectant will you use?
5-Why do you like to use direct heat?
6-What is your goal for the year?
7-Please post a starting picture.

Please talk to us throughout the year and keep us posted on what you are doing to retain length. All challengers should post a progress picture on:
-March 31st
-June 30th
-September 30th
-December 31st

:attention:

*Disclaimer: Obviously direct heat is potentially damaging to your hair. Please only join the challenge if you have gathered enough knowledge about YOUR OWN HAIR to know what works and what does not work. This is for those individuals who prefer to wear their hair in styles created by direct heat and understand that it may take them longer to reach hair goals NOT a challenge that is saying it is okay to use direct heat. Challenge at your own risk.*

:mob:CHALLENGERS LIST:mob:
@afjhnsn @All4Tris @Austro-Afrikana
@back2relaxed @ beauti @caliscurls
@curlycrocheter @DoDo @EnExitStageLeft
@Healthb4Length ktwatkins @Lita @Meemee6223
@MixedGirl @outspokenwallflower @Prettymetty
@Saludable84 @ScorpioLove @SlimPickinz
@syncerelyhis @TopShelf @yaya24 @youwillrise

Last edited:

syncerelyhis

4A. Grazing WL. Relaxed.
Vitamins Daily. Prepoo, Shampoo, DC Every 7-10 Days. Moisturize & Seal Daily. Trim Every 12 Weeks.
Blow Dry & Flat Iron. At least Every 2 Weeks. Maybe Every Week.
Tresemme Heat Protectant and Organix Brazilian Keratin Anti Breakage Serum.
I like to show my length and feel my hair. It makes me feel feminine. My husband loves it.
Hip Length.

NEW STARTING PICTURE**Edited to add my picture as of December 29th! I trimmed .5 inch since the picture above and my hair is about the same length. The middle of the number 29 is WL.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Thanks for the tag EnExitStageLeft I'll be braided up till the end of 2014 and when I'm not, I'll only be doing roller sets....and even that will be few and far between. I am not into fooling with my hair at all, so I'mma have to sit this one out.

If I'm still around these parts in 2015 and you host another challenge around that time, I might join that one. (For the cooler months only cause my natural hair don't even stand a chance of being straight in the spring/summer)

back2relaxed

syncerlyhis, I'd like to join!
Relaxed head, 4b, shoulder length in the back and almost there on the sides, the bangs are nose length
I wash 1x/week at a minimum(Crème of Nature Argan Oil, Aveda, Keracare Hydrating Detangling, DC weekly(Crème of Nature Argan Intensive Cond Treatment, Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Cholesterol, Elasta QP DPR 11, Leave Ins-Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer, Elasta QP H2, I either rollerset, or dry under the dryer, then use Redken Heat Glide, before flat ironing if going for a straight style. I also PS usually a topknot
3-What type of direct heat do you plan to use?Flat Iron, sometimes blow dry How often?Once/wk possibly, if not rollersetting, or PS
4-What heat protectant will you use?Redken Heat Glide
5-Why do you like to use direct heat?If I'm wearing my hair out, I am able to manage my hair better, with less hair loss
6-What is your goal for the year?APL by June 2014
my Avatar is my starting photo.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
1-What is your hair type and starting length? 4b Mid-back length Relaxed or natural? Natural
2-Short version of your regimen. Cleanse every 1-2 weeks with Ouidad Curl Co-Wash, DC with a protein conditioner followed by a moisturizing conditioner, use heat protection and leave in then blow dry using the tension method in 24 sections before braiding.
3-What type of direct heat do you plan to use? Blow dryer and flat iron on the roots of my hair How often? Blow dry every one to two weeks and flat iron roots once every one to two months.
4-What heat protectant will you use? Aveda smooth infusion style prep smoother, or Carol's Daughter Chocolat smoothing blow dry cream or Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat Detangling Cream
5-Why do you like to use direct heat? I like how how it makes my braidouts look on day one. Without the blow dryer I have to wait till day five for the same look. In addition, my hair is a nightmare to handle when it is damp and drying and this leads to breakage, the blow dryer remedies this.
6-What is your goal for the year? Whip length
7-Please post a starting picture. Coming soon...

P.S. I haven't tried flat ironing my roots yet so I will report back with results.

Last edited:

Destiny9109

I plan on hiding my hair for the rest of this year and most of next year. But I can give some advice as a former hot girl whose hair was never damaged from using heat weekly:blush:

Relaxed or natural? Relaxed
Short version of your regimen Wash hair once a week, blowdry and flatiron.
I used the Joico k pak shampoo and reconstructor, only used a moisture dc once a month. The only leave ins I used were Aphogee keratin and green tea reconstructor and Chi silk infusion........unfortunately the ingredients of the aphogee and chi have now changed(they purely suck now), I still haven't found replacements:sad:

Last edited:

syncerelyhis

:heated:Welcome back2relaxed! I'd like to try that Creme of Nature Argan Intensive Conditioning Treatment!

@syncerlyhis, I'd like to join!
Relaxed head, 4b, shoulder length in the back and almost there on the sides, the bangs are nose length
I wash 1x/week at a minimum(Crème of Nature Argan Oil, Aveda, Keracare Hydrating Detangling, DC weekly(Crème of Nature Argan Intensive Cond Treatment, Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Cholesterol, Elasta QP DPR 11, Leave Ins-Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer, Elasta QP H2, I either rollerset, or dry under the dryer, then use Redken Heat Glide, before flat ironing if going for a straight style. I also PS usually a topknot
3-What type of direct heat do you plan to use?Flat Iron, sometimes blow dry How often?Once/wk possibly, if not rollersetting, or PS
4-What heat protectant will you use?Redken Heat Glide
5-Why do you like to use direct heat?If I'm wearing my hair out, I am able to manage my hair better, with less hair loss
6-What is your goal for the year?APL by June 2014
my Avatar is my starting photo.

syncerelyhis

:heated:Welcome DoDo! Please tell us more about these braidouts! I also hate waiting a few days for my braidouts to look good - any advice is much appreciated.

1-What is your hair type and starting length? 4b Mid-back length Relaxed or natural? Natural
2-Short version of your regimen. Cleanse every 1-2 weeks with Ouidad Curl Co-Wash, DC with a protein conditioner followed by a moisturizing conditioner, use heat protection and leave in then blow dry using the tension method in 24 sections before braiding.
3-What type of direct heat do you plan to use? Blow dryer and flat iron on the roots of my hair How often? Blow dry every one to two weeks and flat iron roots once every one to two months.
4-What heat protectant will you use? Aveda smooth infusion style prep smoother, or Carol's Daughter Chocolat smoothing blow dry cream or Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat Detangling Cream
5-Why do you like to use direct heat? I like how how it makes my braidouts look on day one. Without the blow dryer I have to wait till day five for the same look. In addition, my hair is a nightmare to handle when it is damp and drying and this leads to breakage, the blow dryer remedies this.

P.S. I haven't tried flat ironing my roots yet so I will report back with results.

MzSwift

Oooh, I'm stalking this thread! I've been planning to incorporate monthly heat into my regi. I still haven't decided between rollersetting or flat ironing every two weeks. Maybe alternating them will be good.

The hardest part for me is giving up the smell of freshly washed hair :( I love good smelling hair!

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
:heated:Welcome DoDo! Please tell us more about these braidouts! I also hate waiting a few days for my braidouts to look good - any advice is much appreciated.

If I wet set my braid out my results are shiny and defined but it doesn't hang how I like it until at least two days of letting the braids dry and three days of re-braiding at night.

I usually use Bask Palm tapioca to braid blown out hair because it has a little water so that my braids set but it is mostly oils and no glycerin so my hair doesn't revert too much. After I take out the braids my hair is sheeny and softly defined and I really like it. I would like to flat iron the roots so my hair doesn't mushroom over time during the day, and I need to do a better job of stretching and moisturizing my ends because they are still giving me a little bit of trouble where my hair is the coarsest.

The blow dryer's main issue is that it is drying, I have to do better with reapplying moisture in the hair to combat this.

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i would join but i think i may go back to rollersetting in 2014. im still on the fence.

syncerelyhis

O ok, I get it! Got any picks?

If i tried that I think the braids would not be defined but I'm not sure....I dont want it to go flat by the end of the day.....

Yea the blow dryer is a murderer to the ends....I try to hold my hand over them so they dont get hit that much with the air....

If I wet set my braid out my results are shiny and defined but it doesn't hang how I like it until at least two days of letting the braids dry and three days of re-braiding at night.

I usually use Bask Palm tapioca to braid blown out hair because it has a little water so that my braids set but it is mostly oils and no glycerin so my hair doesn't revert too much. After I take out the braids my hair is sheeny and softly defined and I really like it. I would like to flat iron the roots so my hair doesn't mushroom over time during the day, and I need to do a better job of stretching and moisturizing my ends because they are still giving me a little bit of trouble where my hair is the coarsest.

The blow dryer's main issue is that it is drying, I have to do better with reapplying moisture in the hair to combat this.

syncerelyhis

Napp if you can rollerset and it looks good, I say go for it! It is much healthier. Rollersetting has been a disaster for me every time.....I wish I could though!

i would join but i think i may go back to rollersetting in 2014. im still on the fence.

Lylddlebit

I really like the idea of the challenge, and the rules fit my when I straighten regimen perfectly! Matter fact I did this from August 2012-August 2013 and really enjoyed my hair during that time, too bad I can't use those pictures lol. I'm on the fence of whether I will join and go back to regular straightening or get my money's worth out of this silk top brazilian wig I recently bought for the next few months... but either way I will follow this thread because its a good challenge.

Last edited:

syncerelyhis

DoDo how is that Carols Daughter Chocolat Blow Dry Cream? I really want to try it

syncerelyhis

I really like the idea of the challenge, and the rules fit my when I straighten regimen perfectly! Matter fact I did this from August 2012-August 2013 and really enjoyed my hair during that time, too bad I can't use those pictures lol. I'm on the fence of whether I will join and go back to regular straightening or get my money's worth out of this silk top brazilian wig I recently bought for the next few months... but either way I will follow this thread because its a good challenge.

Lylddlebit don't waste your money girl!

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
4Ba Texlaxed- fine when straight.. highly textured when airdried

Cowash and DC 2 times a week. M&S daily. Buns or wigs daily. Shampoo monthly. Texlax 12 weeks. Heat week 4 & 8 post TU.

Blowdry and flat iron weeks 4 & 8 post relaxer (keratin blowout treatment that only lasts 4 weeks)

chi silk infusion with the treatment

helps control breakage

BSL 2014!!!

My next heat pass is on December 17th. I will share pics after I finish.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
O ok, I get it! Got any picks?

If i tried that I think the braids would not be defined but I'm not sure....I dont want it to go flat by the end of the day.....

Yea the blow dryer is a murderer to the ends....I try to hold my hand over them so they dont get hit that much with the air....

That was my last braid out. I have been wearing my hair in twists until last night when I finally took them out.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
i would love to join!

1-What is your hair type and starting length? 4a/fine/dense/colored between shoulder and APL

Relaxed or natural? Natural[/COLOR]

2-Short version of your regimen. Wash weekly with deep condition using steam, so about 30-45 mins and protein treatment with Silk amino acid added.I used to do the overnight deep conditioning and i think this is what was breaking my hair. I think my hair became too soft/overly conditioned[/COLOR]

3-What type of direct heat do you plan to use? blow dry using tension method as well as a comb attachment. I then flat iron my hair with one pass using about 400 heat.

How often?weekly

4-What heat protectant will you use? carol's daughter serum, chi silk infusion, its a 10 with Keratin, all with aphohee green tea spray

5-Why do you like to use direct heat? it dries my hair faster and I don't have to deal with the tangles associated with air drying

6-What is your goal for the year? full HEALTHY APL and longer

Last edited:

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
syncerelyhis

I have problems following directions ..forgot to mention you.
lol
Please add me to your heat challenge.

Thanks!!!!!