Classic to Mid-Thigh Length 2011 Challenge

yamilee21

How are you ladies doing? Any updates?

Gorgeous hair in your signature picture, wheezy807.

My update: I'm still afraid to take pictures, still shedding like crazy. Yesterday I was able to put all of my hair into a ponytail using a size SMALL Flexi-8. If you are familiar with Flexi-8 clips, you can understand the sad significance of such a thing. :cry: I've continued taking prenatal vitamins but they are powerless against my follicles' desire to render me bald. :nono: But on the amusing side, my new growth consists almost exclusively of tiny coffee-stirrer sized curls, rather than the usual variety of five different curl sizes. What is less amusing is that my new growth is all coming in white!

BostonMaria

Mz.MoMo5235
You look like a straight up Indian woman. I was like where is she? I can't find her LOL Your hair looks gorgeous

yamilee21 I am sure you didn't scare anyone :lol: I hope your shedding goes away

Candy828

Did I kill this thread with my disappointing last post? :look:

Not at all.... I feel ya.... My new growth is coming in with a lot of tightly coiled fine hairs and it is tangling and snapping off my long hairs. I am frustrated with that!:perplexed I have to do intensive S&D for those coils before I can even do finger combing or else I'll have a hand full of hair. I spent the whole weekend on my head. I hope this is just a faze and not a permanent thing.

Candy828

I was just wondering, if anyone is having a seasonal weather change hair issue right now? If so, what going on with your hair....

Hair Headache:wallbash:

SmilingElephant

I was just wondering, if anyone is having a seasonal weather change hair issue right now? If so, what going on with your hair....

Hair Headache:wallbash:

I'm not near CL but my hair has all of a sudden started to become super dry. Dryer than usual. So i'll be looking for creamy moisturizers to use for Fall/Winter.

It's not as humid as usual here in Florida.

Candy828

I'm not near CL but my hair has all of a sudden started to become super dry. Dryer than usual. So i'll be looking for creamy moisturizers to use for Fall/Winter.

It's not as humid as usual here in Florida.

SmilingElephant - Yes, that is what is happening to me and it is different from the previous year. I DC every week or two and it's not helping the situation. I think this is why I am getting the tightly coiled new growth. My last years fall regime is not working this year. I agree with the creamy moisturizers for Fall/Winter. I need something that works quickly before I lose all my hair.

If anyone has suggestions, please chime in!

Thanks
HHG

SmilingElephant

SmilingElephant - Yes, that is what is happening to me and it is different from the previous year. I DC every week or two and it's not helping the situation. I think this is why I am getting the tightly coiled new growth. My last years fall regime is not working this year. I agree with the creamy moisturizers for Fall/Winter. I need something that works quickly before I lose all my hair.

If anyone has suggestions, please chime in!

Thanks
HHG

Candy828 I've started back using Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. It's VERY thick and creamy. The only thing I'm not fond of is the scent but it seems to be saving my hair:yep:

Candy828

@Candy828 I've started back using Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. It's VERY thick and creamy. The only thing I'm not fond of is the scent but it seems to be saving my hair:yep:

SmilingElephant - Unfortunately I can't find those kinds of products here..:nono: I am doing another DC this weekend, after that I mixed up a homemade concoction for my hair. I'll let you know how it goes...:crossfingers:

Candy828

Well, I DC'd... then I added some lavender baby oil to my leave-in mix. That seems to be working for me right now. My hair is much softer. But unfortunately I think I have suffered a minor setback.:perplexed I don't quite know the extent of damage but I am sure I have lost a good amount of length.:cry2: My hair is fine and it breaks easy without the right care but it does grow fast. So I am hoping to regain what I lost quickly. I am just very frustrated right now. I also remembered that when I went to the doctor two months ago for a check up, he did blood work. The result was the doctor prescribed medication for high cholesterol. This probably added to the problem. I had to increase my water intake to make sure I am staying hydrated. We never know what may come into our lives to disrupt our hair growth. It takes longer to grow it than it does to destroy it....:sad: Ok... I am on a rant... I am just not feeling very happy right now....

WyrdWay

Candy828
I am sorry to here about your set back! And I wish it were easier for you to get a hold of more products in Korea.

I hope your hair starts growing faster that it is being damaged away :D I hope that for all of us

Lucia

Candy828
Bad cholesterol is bad for you not only health-wise but hair-wise too.
Those bad fats (belly fat too) release toxins into your body and they cause hair thinning and hair fall.
But on the bright side once you get that under control the thinning and shedding should stop. Also check out the kind of medicine they've given you cause that could help or hurt.
Just keep on your regimen and you will gain back what you've lost.

Candy828

@Candy828
Bad cholesterol is bad for you not only health-wise but hair-wise too.
Those bad fats (belly fat too) release toxins into your body and they cause hair thinning and hair fall.
But on the bright side once you get that under control the thinning and shedding should stop. Also check out the kind of medicine they've given you cause that could help or hurt.
Just keep on your regimen and you will gain back what you've lost.

Thanks Lucia - My cholesterol level was at 190 i think which is under the desirable 200, but the doctor said it was much higher than my history showed and my blood pressure was a little high, with my age he wanted it lower. I'll have to recheck the number to be sure and check the drug name. I know it was a mild drug but I don't remember the name. I did not have a lot of shedding other than normal, but the tight coiled new growth tangled snapped off longer hairs. Add in dryness and disaster struck. This is day two of my new leave-in mix and my hair is still moist and soft. Now I am drinking more than the recommended water amount too. My hair is probably back to about mid-butt length with slightly thin ends.:sad:

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
^^poor baby I know she was freaking out, I was freaking out just reading the article, can you image if the bat had gotten stuck in an afro:lol:

Mz.MoMo5235

hi guys! still here. i re-dyed my hair so no more streaks for mo

sadly this tropical weather has done zero for my growth. most indian prods and ayerverdic (sp?) are protein based and do nothing for moisture. those with curly hair here either have shorter dry hair or they flat iron 100% of the time, or the use western prods like HE HH :lol:

its not the hair wonderland i expected at all.

so once i'm out of my CD i'm trying this new stuff from the body shop... if its no good i'm going back to cones til i get home :(

Lucia

hi guys! still here. i re-dyed my hair so no more streaks for mo

sadly this tropical weather has done zero for my growth. most indian prods and ayerverdic (sp?) are protein based and do nothing for moisture. those with curly hair here either have shorter dry hair or they flat iron 100% of the time, or the use western prods like HE HH :lol:

its not the hair wonderland i expected at all.

so once i'm out of my CD i'm trying this new stuff from the body shop... if its no good i'm going back to cones til i get home :(

Don't worry about it so much maybe your hair is resting. I'm thinking you need to adjust your regimen and especially hair products to fit this different climate. hot in the the Americas is not the same hot as India-you're right on top of Africa. Maybe try the oils and the ayurvedic powders to "shampoo" also going back to cones might not be a bad idea.

Another thing is CD products just may not work for you anymore or work in that climate. My hair didn't like CD products and I tried everything-it didn't hurt my hair either but basically my hair was greasy and laughed at CD.

You'll have to rework the regimen too then your hair will start growing like a weed again. :lol:
:hugs:

Mz.MoMo5235

so... after checking out several stores and speaking to as many indian women as i can (who speak english well enough to get what i'm talking about) i have come to this conclusion....

indian women do not use hair conditioner :look:

i started noticing this because i was having some issues finding products i can use as you guys already know. another issue i found was that for a country that has women with such long hair, their conditioner bottles are very tiny!!!!! and they're stupid expensive, even the indian brand ones (which arent many)

so then i started to ask women what type of shampoo they use and they use many different types, from well known american brands (dove, HE, garnier +) to indian brands to shampoo powders.

but then i ask them what conditioners they use and i find out that like 80% of them do not use conditioner. AT ALL!!! they just do different kind of oil treatments or just use oil flat out.

i finally got a group of girls to show me their hair stash and its very minimal. one bottle of a sulfate shampoo (most have no clue what i'm speaking of when i say sulfate free and when i look at their bottles of poo, only one girl had a sulfate free poo and that seems to be because she has a sensitive scalp and didnt realize it was due to sulfates. only one girl had conditioner and it was the smallest bottle i ever saw and she uses it ONLY for the ends of her braids. then they all have evco of different brands and different types of powders to mix in with it.

so for indian women, oil and powders are the key. conditioner is something they dont even think about.

i tried getting some tips on the powders but by then i was hungry and wasnt paying much attention. i will need another hair oil class lol

Candy828

Mz.MoMo5235 - That is very interesting... I would have thought with all that hair there was more to it than that. But I guess that just shows that going with the basic's is more beneficial than we think...:scratchch Anyway, after my setback, I have been babying my ends and dusting all over my head. What I have found out if you dust or trim the minimal amount of your hair regularly. Your hair will strengthen and look and feel so much healthier. To keep my ends oiled, I am using a mix of vitamin E, Sunflower oil with a very little bit of baby oil... yes, I said it... baby oil. This mix is very light and does not weight the hair down. But what I found for my fine hair at least... adding the baby oil made the oil stick to my hair strands and last longer if that makes any sense. I have become the Queen of Homemade since I don't have access to many products. This is what you'll have to do as well. Especially for conditioning your hair. If you have only a little bottle of conditioner you can doctor it up to make it a super conditioner. That is what I do. You will have to play with the mixer ingredients to figure out what is going to work best for your hair. I went through about 5 recipes before I found a perfect match.

Tiye

Hi All - I don't have hair anywhere near any of your lengths so I'm just peeping in for inspiration.

Mz.MoMo5235 Thanks for sharing your observations. :) I'm big on ayurvedic herbs for beauty although I've never been to India and basically everything I know right now comes from reading and research. I make do with dried powders which are good, but have their limitations sometimes, but in your shoes I'd be having having a blast trying out the fresh versions of everything. I can't imagine needing bottled conditioner with easy access to fresh coconuts, and fresh made coconut oil for example. I read a few dozen pages back that you're in India for work, and suppose in modern India a lot people might not even bother with a lot of the old fashioned remedies as much but I'd hunt them down anyway. :)

Mz.MoMo5235

Hi All - I don't have hair anywhere near any of your lengths so I'm just peeping in for inspiration.

Mz.MoMo5235 Thanks for sharing your observations. :) I'm big on ayurvedic herbs for beauty although I've never been to India and basically everything I know right now comes from reading and research. I make do with dried powders which are good, but have their limitations sometimes, but in your shoes I'd be having having a blast trying out the fresh versions of everything. I can't imagine needing bottled conditioner with easy access to fresh coconuts, and fresh made coconut oil for example. I read a few dozen pages back that you're in India for work, and suppose in modern India a lot people might not even bother with a lot of the old fashioned remedies as much but I'd hunt them down anyway. :)

Tiye

I thought it would be a blast too but it is not... in hair prod stores there are lots of oils but when you look at the ingredients (like the amla oil) the 1st thing is mineral oil. so i stick with getting the giant bottle of parachute. its a trusted well known brand. the locals use it on their hair, skin and to cook with, plus it keeps mosquito away when its on your skin.

the powders need to be mixed with oil or yogurt and are a messy mess and are primarily to stop shedding and to strengthen the strands (i.e protein). but it does nothing for moisture. so after a while my hair was hard and crunchy from protein overload!!!

i can only play with the powders every so often and have decided to only use them once every 2-3 months. the rest of the time i have to focus on retaining moisture.

Mz.MoMo5235

Mz.MoMo5235 - That is very interesting... I would have thought with all that hair there was more to it than that. But I guess that just shows that going with the basic's is more beneficial than we think...:scratchch Anyway, after my setback, I have been babying my ends and dusting all over my head. What I have found out if you dust or trim the minimal amount of your hair regularly. Your hair will strengthen and look and feel so much healthier. To keep my ends oiled, I am using a mix of vitamin E, Sunflower oil with a very little bit of baby oil... yes, I said it... baby oil. This mix is very light and does not weight the hair down. But what I found for my fine hair at least... adding the baby oil made the oil stick to my hair strands and last longer if that makes any sense. I have become the Queen of Homemade since I don't have access to many products. This is what you'll have to do as well. Especially for conditioning your hair. If you have only a little bottle of conditioner you can doctor it up to make it a super conditioner. That is what I do. You will have to play with the mixer ingredients to figure out what is going to work best for your hair. I went through about 5 recipes before I found a perfect match.

no kidding when you say minimal access. i feel like i'm going to die!!! this trip is for sure breaking me of my pj'ism. I think if i just stick with a sulfate free poo. stretch my conditioners with oils and other moisturizers and oil oil oil oil oil... I should be fine.

my hair is starting to feel normal again but again i think it was from a protein overload trying to use all these powders and stuff.

i guess the indian way is not the way meant for my hair.

i would love to travel to africa one day and see what they use in the real rural areas. i know my hair like shae butter (to an extent) and i would assume their practices would better meet our hair needs than indian hair practices