Detangling Dry Matted 4b/c Tailbone Length Hair

LovingLady

Sigh, some women just don't have to do much.
I have been growing my hair this long and it's not even close to that length.
If my hair mats up, I am going to lose inches from the breakage and combing.
I recently came to terms with this and had cut an inch off because I waited to long to detangle my hair. I am going to try her techniques during the next wash secession, I am tired of hovering around the same length. The steamer that I bought is on sale for $30 down from$70: PurSteam

CurlyMoo

@MileHighDiva,
Thank you for posting this. I had seen this and could not figure out what she was using. I thought it was so cute! She's not using a handheld HAIR steamer. She is using a TEXTILE/FABRIC/GARMENT STEAMER!

This makes so much sense. The hair care industry originated from the textile industry. After the wool industry lost out to polyester, the scientific knowledge and money gravitated toward the hair industry. Now, I have to go into the, "What did LHCF make you buy," thread.

I found a cute portable, hand held clothes steamer. There are some fabulous ones in the US but I can't them here.

Efficiently Natural is using a Conair steamer. I LOVE it :love4: and it is so cute, but it is not available here. Here is the link on Amazon:

I am going to order the Conair steamer. I could use this on my hair and clothes!!!

CurlyMoo

I recently came to terms with this and had cut an inch off because I waited to long to detangle my hair. I am going to try her techniques during the next wash secession, I am tired of hovering around the same length. The steamer that I bought is on sale for $30 down from$70: PurSteam
I was seconds away from ordering this steamer but then I decided to actually watch the video and I like what she is using.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Okay, I used my steamer for the first time today. This is the one I got, not like the one in the OP.

I used it today. My braids were about 14 days old. I saturated my braid with water, then put some castor oil on the last 5 inches. Then, I hit it cautiously with the steamer on low. Then, I put it on high and let the heat hit my hand. It wasn't really that hot. A blowdryer burns more! The tank is really small so I was able to steam 2 braids per tank full of water (180 ml).

Pros
  • I had a sulfur odor on my hair. The steamer eliminated the odor on contact. (This can probably be used to refresh natural styled, afro-textured hair much like dry shampoo can be used to refresh hair that is heat straightened or is naturally straight.)
  • The heated, steam vapor relaxed and elongated my braid immediately and I was able to detangle the very ends with some ease.
  • It felt good on my hair and scalp.
  • I can direct the heat right on the braid I want to work on. Unlike with a steamer you sit under, where you have to do the entire head at once.
  • It turns off or stops when the water has emptied from the receptacle or tank.
  • Heats up an makes steam and is usable within seconds!
Cons
  • The plastic thing that covers the water tank is flimsy. One time, it almost dropped down into the opening into the tank. So, you have to be gentle when opening it to add water, and closing it. (This stressed me a little bit!)
  • The water tank [seems to empty] fast. But it is better because I had to remove the direct steam heat from my hair . It forces you to take a break and not over steam and cause heat damage to the hair. (This can be a pro, too.)
  • It's a little weighty. Kind of like a blow dryer.
  • Takes a while to steam each braid. But can be a "pro" because I like taking the time to do my hair, from roots to tips.
I am very happy with my purchase. I love the fact that it is practical and can do its real duty (steam clothes) and double duty for my hair, too!

Picture 1:
Side view of steamer with the little tank under my thumb.

Picture 2:
The little tank removed from the steamer. That white, plastic part that is sticking out and pointing to the right of the photo is the piece that almost dropped inside the tank. It is attached to something in the tank, but I didn't want to have to see if I could fish it out. So, I was ever so careful when handling it.

Attachments

• Steamer hair 3.JPG
    Steamer hair 3.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • Steamer hair 4.JPG
    Steamer hair 4.JPG
    1,020.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

sparkle25

This reminds me that I really need to get a steamer for detangling and deep conditioning. I have been eyeing the huetiful hair steamer for years but I haven't pulled the trigger, mainly because I don't like clutter. I have been thinking about a handheld steamer but for deep conditioning it sounds like a pain. I don't want to be holding my arm up to my head for an hour. Maybe I'll try a hand held steamer for detangling first just to see how I feel. Anybody tried the q redew?

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
@Chicoro
Thank you for the thorough documentation and review of your experience using the clothing steamer on your hair.

I'm happy to hear that it's a gentle steam. I was worried someone might scald their scalp and/or neck if the steam was piping hot.

I might buy the purple version of the one Naturally Efficient (NE) uses, :yep:

Chicoro

@Chicoro
Thank you for the thorough documentation and review of your experience using the clothing steamer on your hair.

I'm happy to hear that it's a gentle steam. I was worried someone might scald their scalp and/or neck if the steam was piping hot.

I might buy the purple version of the one Naturally Efficient (NE) uses, :yep:

Please don't tell me there is a purple version. Not only is the style cute, but they have it in :cupidarrow: purple too? :cloud9:! If you get it, please, please post a picture!

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
This reminds me that I really need to get a steamer for detangling and deep conditioning. I have been eyeing the huetiful hair steamer for years but I haven't pulled the trigger, mainly because I don't like clutter. I have been thinking about a handheld steamer but for deep conditioning it sounds like a pain. I don't want to be holding my arm up to my head for an hour. Maybe I'll try a hand held steamer for detangling first just to see how I feel. Anybody tried the q redew?

You betta buy the version NE uses, and save that extra $30-$40, :look:

CurlyMoo

Please don't tell me there is a purple version. Not only is the style cute, but they have it in :cupidarrow: purple too? :cloud9:! If you get it, please, please post a picture!
YES! Just received my Conair. I got the purple one and it's soooo cute.
Came super fast.
But, *sigh* I am returning it because it has scuff marks on it. UGHHHHHH!
I wanted to start using it today but this is so disappointing.
I might just get the regular one from Target.
Or upgrade to the more expensive with the larger water basin, that one is a deeper purple.

Chicoro

How long is her hair? And she is a doctor, @Chicoro so your theory receives further confirmation.

Thanks @Sharpened!
I think if one is analytical, no matter what the profession, it applies as well. It's just that doctors and scientists types of women have been trained to be analytical, document and make assessments that often pertain and relate to organic tissue, such as those of the human body. Hair is one of those tissues!

I am extremely analytical myself, but have not interest or love for 'pure' science or math. So, let me get me some tail bone length hair and expand my theory to substantiate what I said, in that one only needs to be analytical and necessarily be a doctor or scientist by profession!

Chicoro

YES! Just received my Conair. I got the purple one and it's soooo cute.
Came super fast.
But, *sigh* I am returning it because it has scuff marks on it. UGHHHHHH!
I wanted to start using it today but this is so disappointing.
I might just get the regular one from Target.
Or upgrade to the more expensive with the larger water basin, that one is a deeper purple.

@CurlyMoo,
Good for you to return it! You know you deserve the best and if you don't demand it, you won't get it. Don't be disappointed! Pat yourself on the back for standing up for YOU! I suggest that you try one more time and order again. If it comes back scuffed again, you know to go to Target. Try one more time.

jamaica68

I bought the QRedew a few weeks ago(mother's day) and I'm sending it back because the water reservoir leaks and it's small. I need to find my fabric steamer it's around here somewhere.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
Thanks for posting. My youngest daughter has hair just like this (thick and long). I sometimes think of relaxing because it's so much and she's so tender headed. I need to subscribe to her channel.