February 2014 Hits & Missess

veesweets

HIT
Ynobe Flaxseed Gel Smoothie. First day best wash 'n go ever! Hair was springy and soft and coily in places it never ever coils. Dried to perfection.

I'm shocked. I really like this product, but I never used it for a wash and go

This is a hit for me too. Nice low frizz definition that I can get to last about two days if I don't mess with it too much. I'm going to experiment with other flaxseed products now.

Other hits:
Silk Dreams Wheat Germ Butter conditioner - still doesn't work for me as a leave in, but great as a rinse out

Bask java and honey balm and Silk Dreams mocha bling butter- both are great for sealing and not too heavy

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Hits:
Stretching my wash frequency from weekly to every 10-14 days. After a full year of paying more attention to my hair, I realized that it is in better health and requires a lot less...less manipulation and less products. A good cleansing, steam session and roller set is all it takes for my hair to look and behave at it's optimal potential.

Miss:
Co-cleansing only. Yes, it's very moisturizing but it does not remove enough product and leaves my roller sets rather flat. My Elucence Moisture Benefits shampoo is the bomb at removing products without stripping my hair! So co-cleansing is out the door!

NaturallyATLPCH

Major Hit: Aphogee Curlistic Hair Wash

My hair was soft, clean, and my curls were popping like popcorn. :bouncy:

Plus I can get it on the ground. Permanent staple.

Miss: Marie Dean Amla Hair Cream

Man, I just can't get her stuff to work for me! I've tried on freshly washed hair, dry hair, damp hair, just can't get them to work. I swear I'm going to keep trying because I love the ingredients.

Miss: Loreal Total 5 Repair Shampoo
While it made my hair really soft and didn't strip it, once my hair started to dry, it was a little tangled and matted.

Last edited:

NaturallyATLPCH

Hits:
Stretching my wash frequency from weekly to every 10-14 days. After a full year of paying more attention to my hair, I realized that it is in better health and requires a lot less...less manipulation and less products. A good cleansing, steam session and roller set is all it takes for my hair to look and behave at it's optimal potential.

Miss:
Co-cleansing only. Yes, it's very moisturizing but it does not remove enough product and leaves my roller sets rather flat. My Elucence Moisture Benefits shampoo is the bomb at removing products without stripping my hair! So co-cleansing is out the door!

Totally feeling this. I workout like crazy and I just feel like shampoo totally gets the job done. Now I am going to use up my conditioners as detanglers/prepoos lol...

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Soultanicals Mango dip as a leave in on dry hair, very nice

Soultanicals Knot butta as a sealer on top of the mango dip. Theres a subtle sheen to my hair. Of course my hair didnt dry last night so its a tad damp, Hopefully I'll get a better idea as my hair fully dries later today.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Hits:
Hemp seed oil to twist with, Creamy and seals in the moisture, hair has a subtle sheen today
Texture Me Natural Amla and Avocado Leave in conditioner, very moist, supple feeling
Texture Me Natural Aunt Cookies Moisture cream, very heavy and I needed it because my hair is dry after coming out of this weave

Miss
Texture Me Natural Moisture Cream, normally this would be too heavy for my hair so I have to use it up as soon as possible ( which will take sometime lol)
This gray hair, I need to henna soon

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Hit:

Washing bimonthly. My hair hasn't been dry at all. I used to hate washing 2x a month, but now, it's working for me.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
Hits-

Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum for blow drying and Organix Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage serum on my ends.
ACV rinse. This is the second time I tried it and my hair was not acting up too much.

Miss-

Blacksrap Molasses treatment. I tried it since I heard it was good for breakage and shedding, my new growth revolted and the rest of my hair was a tangled mess. Needless to say I will stick to taking Molasses internally from now on.
Another miss is L'Oreal Evercrreme cleansing conditioner, I used it today right after the molasses treatment and my hair felt like straw shortly after.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
Hit: Washing bimonthly. My hair hasn't been dry at all. I used to hate washing 2x a month, but now, it's working for me.

I just began doing that partly because I haven't had the patience and energy to deal with my hair, my wash days take up so much of my time especially now that I'm nearly 5 months post. I just try to M&S more often and call it a day.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

NaturallyATLPCH

Hit: SheScentIt Tahitian Vanilla and Coconut Leave In
The smell? :drool:

Oh, and it makes my hair very soft!

Miss: anything with orange anything! I can't use my beloved SSI Riche Moisture Mask because my scalp became super itchy. What is in the ingredients? Orange oil. :sad:

Joigirl

Hit: SheScentIt Tahitian Vanilla and Coconut Leave In The smell? :drool: Oh, and it makes my hair very soft! Miss: anything with orange anything! I can't use my beloved SSI Riche Moisture Mask because my scalp became super itchy. What is in the ingredients? Orange oil. :sad:

I am glad you mentioned that. I have the same reaction to citrus oils. I loved Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel, but my scalp was on fire. I try to avoid them now.

spellinto

Hit:

Washing bimonthly. My hair hasn't been dry at all. I used to hate washing 2x a month, but now, it's working for me.

This works for me too :yep:. I thought my scalp & hair would feel gross but I'm actually retaining a lot of moisture in between washes and my scalp feels fine. Plus it saves product!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Miss: anything with orange anything! I can't use my beloved SSI Riche Moisture Mask because my scalp became super itchy. What is in the ingredients? Orange oil. :sad:

I am glad you mentioned that. I have the same reaction to citrus oils. I loved Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel, but my scalp was on fire. I try to avoid them now.

@NaturallyATLPCH @Joigirl

You Girls got me worried!:blush:

I cannot use certain products with Citrus Oil (Orange, Grapefruit etc..):nono:

But it's only with certain things. Like - I can use: HV's Sitrinillah and Oyin's Honey Hemp and both are heavy on the Orange-y side.

However, I cannot use Hydratherma Naturals Moisture DC'er (because of the Citrus Oil).:perplexed

Fire & Irritation!:burning:

So it's hit or miss with me & Citrus Oil(s).

I hope this Riche works for me because I have 3-4 Jars.:rolleyes:

Joigirl

@NaturallyATLPCH @Joigirl You Girls got me worried!:blush: I cannot use certain products with Citrus Oil (Orange, Grapefruit etc..):nono: But it's only with certain things. Like - I can use: HV's Sitrinillah and Oyin's Honey Hemp and both are heavy on the Orange-y side. However, I cannot use Hydratherma Naturals Moisture DC'er (because of the Citrus Oil).:perplexed Fire & Irritation!:burning: So it's hit or miss with me & Citrus Oil(s). I hope this Riche works for me because I have 3-4 Jars.:rolleyes:

I haven't tried the Sitrinillah because of the oil...mmm maybe I will try it during the next sale.

NaturallyATLPCH

Joigirl

Yeah, it's very strange. Sitrinillah and Oyin's Honey Hemp is no problem.:yep:

Hopefully, SSI's Riche doesn't give me any problems.

I hope it doesn't either. It is at the very bottom of he list so it may not be too bad.

It's just orange oil for some strange reason. I can do Sweet Orange, Yuzu (which is citrus), and even Neroli (which is also in the citrus family). But straight up orange? Irritation city.

It is the WEIRDEST THING.

But I have other HG products from SSI so I'm not too bumbed.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I hope it doesn't either. It is at the very bottom of he list so it may not be too bad.

It's just orange oil for some strange reason. I can do Sweet Orange, Yuzu (which is citrus), and even Neroli (which is also in the citrus family). But straight up orange? Irritation city.

It is the WEIRDEST THING.

But I have other HG products from SSI so I'm not too bumbed.

NaturallyATLPCH

I saw that it was at the bottom of the list.:yep:

Yeah, I don't have any problem with Yuzu either. Not sure about Neroli.

If I have a reaction, I'll list my other Jars on the Exchange.:yep:

NaturallyATLPCH

NaturallyATLPCH

I saw that it was at the bottom of the list.:yep:

Yeah, I don't have any problem with Yuzu either. Not sure about Neroli.

If I have a reaction, I'll list my other Jars on the Exchange.:yep:

IDareT'sHair, this is great for me to know. I even looked back at things I've tried that irritated me and what was the common denominator? That darn orange oil.

I had ordered the Sitrinillah a while back, but sold it because I had too much stuff. Now I know I won't repurchase it because of the orange oil.

spellinto

Hit: Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Mask. It's been three days since I last used it and my hair still feels really soft and moisturized, moreso than when I use my staple DC. I'm going to keep testing it out before I make a final decision, but so far it's a hit!

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
Hit:

Same here. I just haven't had the energy to wash weekly thanks to my hectic work schedule.
I just really pamper my hair on wash day and I only have to M&S once or twice between the wash days. It's been really nice!

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Not a hit or a miss

I'll give it a few more tries but I wasn't impressed by Sheamoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Frizz Free Curl Mousse

SweetlyCurly

Hit: These Anabelle Products! Very moisturizing. Im in love with this blueberry cheesecake scent. I'm considering selling all my leave in products to just replace them with this creme. Yeah, it's that good!

BranwenRosewood

Hit: PBN Murumuru Moisture Milk and PBN Cupuacu Butter. I used it Sunday after relaxing and I used it again after water rinsing Tuesday. My hair is still soft and moisturized and I can probably leave my hair alone until I wash it Saturday.

Last edited:

Healthb4Length

Hit

Not a product but method, as I've mentioned before African threading has proven to be a hair saver for me. Yes it's time consuming but the payoff is well worth it. After my hair is sufficiently stretched it kind of remains in a clumped state. My hair looks like the marley hair you get from the beauty supply store! Love it! Since I am on a low manipulation/protective style mode this year, When my hair is looking like "Marley hair" I don't comb it out, I just style from that point on. I put it up in buns or creative updos. My hair is moldable, like a work of art! I'm really loving that.