For Colored Girls Only (Hair Coloring Support Thread)

Anaisin

I used Ion Demi Permanent color in Blue Black yesterday. I LOVED IT!!!! I deep conditioned my hair with the Silk Elements moisturizing conditioner. My hair looks so healthy with this color.

I love this color as well. I need to dye my hair again, I have 3 tubes of this dye

OhTall1

Can any one make a toner recommendation?
I got highlights in the spring and semi permanent isn't doing anything for my grays. When I asked my stylist how I could cover the gray without losing my highlights, he mentioned that he could put some toner on for 5 minutes to cover the gray and refresh the color. Somehow there was a miscommunication - I'm pretty sure I said I wanted to do it, and he thought I wanted to wait until my next appointment -- I walked out without getting my hair toned and don't want to wait.

Any suggestions? I know he used bleach for my highlights, but I asked for subtle highlights and don't know how light he took me before he initially toned my hair. Do you think I need to use a color remover before I tone? Any specific color I should use? Or would purple shampoo do the job?

faithVA

I think I have finally figured out my color application. It would work one application and the next time it wouldn't. I need a 4 to 1 ratio of of conditioner to color. Sometimes I was using more conditioner and not adding enough color. This gives me an even application that sticks to my grays.

Right now I mudwash first and then apply the color and conditioner combination. I want to see in the future if I can apply this to dry hair. That would save me a lot of time.

Daina

Got a color touch-up this past weekend with SM jet black to cover the greys. Actually had the color applied throughout as the Xcel 21 has accelerated my hair growth and I saw a few more strands of grey in the under layers of my hair. The color was left on for about an hour and I notice my hair is really dry 2 days post application, has anyone else experienced dryness post color - this is a first time for me with dryness? I don't plan to cleanse and DC again for 2 weeks if I can help it so I will try to M&S every day instead of every other to see if that helps. Any other thoughts or tips to combat the dryness? Thanks!

faithVA

Got a color touch-up this past weekend with SM jet black to cover the greys. Actually had the color applied throughout as the Xcel 21 has accelerated my hair growth and I saw a few more strands of grey in the under layers of my hair. The color was left on for about an hour and I notice my hair is really dry 2 days post application, has anyone else experienced dryness post color - this is a first time for me with dryness? I don't plan to cleanse and DC again for 2 weeks if I can help it so I will try to M&S every day instead of every other to see if that helps. Any other thoughts or tips to combat the dryness? Thanks!
You may want to do a hard protein treatment before you DC if it wasn't done when you got the color. Color can damage the bonds and the protein in your hair. An hour for permanent color is a long time.

Daina

@faithVA, ok thanks! Yeah I plan to do an elasticizer treatment with Olaplex and protein with Komaza. Hopefully that will put things back in balance. Ugh hopefully there are no lasting effects.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Will be coloring my hair on Sunday since I'll be wearing it out for a few weeks...well not really out but I won't be in a wig. I want to test a theory for the rest of the month. If it works then it will become my new regimen.

Evolving78

Can any one make a toner recommendation?
I got highlights in the spring and semi permanent isn't doing anything for my grays. When I asked my stylist how I could cover the gray without losing my highlights, he mentioned that he could put some toner on for 5 minutes to cover the gray and refresh the color. Somehow there was a miscommunication - I'm pretty sure I said I wanted to do it, and he thought I wanted to wait until my next appointment -- I walked out without getting my hair toned and don't want to wait.

Any suggestions? I know he used bleach for my highlights, but I asked for subtle highlights and don't know how light he took me before he initially toned my hair. Do you think I need to use a color remover before I tone? Any specific color I should use? Or would purple shampoo do the job?
what did you end up doing?

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
What's your theory?
Nothing special or spectacular. If I mix 2 squeezes of leave in (garnier fructis sleek n shine) with 2 oz of extremely hot water, 1/2oz of bamboo extract and 2 tsps of oil, my hair stays moisturized for 2+ weeks without me adding anything else to it. My schedule is about to get crazier so I need to test if this really works if it was just a fluke.

Daina

Still dealing with dry hair after my last color application. I did a protein treatment using Komaza and then DC with SM Manuka Honey masque for 1 hour. My hair felt soft and had more moisture but after it dried it looked dry and rough. To the touch it's not dry and is very soft just looks that way. I guess it will take a few weeks to get it back to looking normal.

Evolving78

Still dealing with dry hair after my last color application. I did a protein treatment using Komaza and then DC with SM Manuka Honey masque for 1 hour. My hair felt soft and had more moisture but after it dried it looked dry and rough. To the touch it's not dry and is very soft just looks that way. I guess it will take a few weeks to get it back to looking normal.
No more protein treatments for awhile. Just keep dc'ing with moisture and it will get back in order.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Colored my hair yesterday, well at 1am, using SM hair coloring system in bright auburn. I think my hair has reached a point where I need 2 boxes I felt like I was scraping for color. The color turned out lovely as usual although I think my roots could have used a bit more color. I won't color again until August and I'll use 2 boxes.

Daina

Colored my hair yesterday, well at 1am, using SM hair coloring system in bright auburn. I think my hair has reached a point where I need 2 boxes I felt like I was scraping for color. The color turned out lovely as usual although I think my roots could have used a bit more color. I won't color again until August and I'll use 2 boxes.

Glad it turned out great for you! You had me worried about a formulation change, I was ready to hoard my remaining boxes for a minute.

ZapMami

Mixed my color with Naturelle Grow Herbal Blends and left it on for 35 minutes. This turned out much better than when I used the Traders Joe Nourish Spa. I did a PH test on the Nourish Spa and it was too high at an 8. If I want to use it again I'm going to have to adjust the PH with some AVJ. Hopefully it doesn't affect the color application too much.

I will be using this method for coloring from now on.

Hi FaithVA, are you mixing conditioner with your hair color and you are still getting it to work? Do you use demi or permanent color.

faithVA

Hi FaithVA, are you mixing conditioner with your hair color and you are still getting it to work? Do you use demi or permanent color.
@ZapMami, Yes, I'm still mixing the two and it is working quite well. I am mixing conditioner with a semi-permanent color. It wouldn't really be necessary with a demi or permanent color.

faithVA

ION changed it's semi-permanent colors from liquid to a creme. I tried it out for the first time 2 weeks ago and tried it for the 2nd time tonight. I like this creme color so much better than the liquid. Mixing the liquid with the conditioner made it adhere to my hair better than the liquid did. This creme works better than the liquid + conditioner mix.

Now my color days aren't so taxing. I was doing a mudwash and then apply the conditioner + liquid and letting it sit for 45 minutes under several caps. This process is so much easier. I used Mane Choice shampoo and then left the color on for 25 minutes without any caps. The color deposit is much better than any I had before. After rinsing it also doesn't bleed as much as before.

The color still starts to fade within the first week. It has something to do with my undertones. But I can rinse and cowash a bit easier without losing all of my color.

If I can get this color to last for 4 weeks that would be great. I will test it out in May. So far it is a winner.

LushLox

I'm still using a clear rinse until I'm ready to add some color again. I may start with Black Cherry first, then move on to jet black.

I love Black Cherry, I've never coloured my hair before but I really want to try this. Did you end up using this colour and if so what brand did you use.

Do you apply the colour after you relax?

RossBoss

I use Bigen blue black and I dye once per year. But the thing is that Bigen scares me. I've seen the swollen face reaction and I'm thinking that my luck will run out one day and that'll be me. I read through this entire thread and am considering other options.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Since we are stuck in the house due to flooding and everything is closed, I can't get to Sally's to buy blue dye.

Luckily my cousin had 2 bottles of Via Blue black in her stash. She gave me 1. I'll put in on later today probably after lunch...

eta I did my hair. I applied the color to freshly washed hair and let it process for an hour. Now I'm doing a dc with Kerastase Therapiste.

Last edited: