Grow It Long Challenge Keep Growing On...

Leo24Rule

Update:
I've been using this homemade tea concoction to spritz my hair every other day for a week now. At the beginning of the start of this 2nd challenge I trimmed my ends. I did again today because although, I experienced less hair fallduring washing & applying deep conditioner while finger detangling I noticed my some of ends were thin/split.

Idk if it's the tea, too much manipulation or protein overload. I just hope I put an end to it soon

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
This is where I got the tea spritz from off of Curly Proverbz's Channel. Video starts at 4:39

Keep us posted about your results with the tea!

I am trying to hold off from trimming until June 2017. In a bun, it's easy to ignore the trims. But with unbraiding and braiding these braids, I am more conscious of my straggly ends.

I am still wearing my 8 braids in bantu knots, covered by wigs and head wraps for variety. I'm enjoying myself. I have noticed some length gains since December 2016. A small amount of my hair is now right just under my belly button. Before, it was at the top of my belly button. That's exciting to see!

Leo24Rule

Anyone bunning & getting results? I wear a bun daily but I take it down daily to re-moisturize even though I don't have to. Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Lucia

I'm saying I'll have to use the tea 1x a week as opposed to 3x because of protein overload.

@Chicoro congrats on achieving length! I've stopped wearing the wigs for now due to the itchiness & zapping of moisture.

That curlyproverbs tea works great if your hairs mushy, but it's very strong, I diluted it a lot that's why I either use it only once a week when I had made some now I just use aphogee light protein spray. But I alternate those in my rotation.

Lucia

Anyone bunning & getting results? I wear a bun daily but I take it down daily to re-moisturize even though I don't have to. Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Buns are my go to ps, but I find that bunning is worthless if my hair isn't juiced up and moisturized before I put it up. Also not too tight, and I slightly rotate the base site, like slightly left, right, higher lower, not always dead center, helps with pressure on strands. Hth

Last edited:

Daina

Do any of you ladies not protective style & instead wear your hair out & still retain length?

@Leo24Rule, I don't protective style in the traditional way i.e. no wigs, braids or weaves. Bunning is my protective style of choice. I also will wear a french braid with the ends tucked. I am nearing WL. My hair grows in a V and the V of my hair is at my waist, waiting for the sides to catch up. I've grown from BSB in Nov 2015 to grazing WL now with this styling regimen and limited heat.

WeirdoBeauty

Soooo, apparently, I have been measuring my hair wrong.:drunk: I *thought* I was only APL because I was pulling my hair from the back to the front. But, when I pulled my hair from the back, it's in between APL and BSL. At least I know I probably be at BSL by end of the summer. :yep:

Pic is after I dusted my ends before my crochet braids

Attachments

• IMG_3888.JPG
    IMG_3888.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 45

Dee Raven

Do any of you ladies not protective style & instead wear your hair out & still retain length?

I do. I wear my hear 99% of the time in wash n gos and I get growth typically. I had issues last year because I stopped deep conditioning and my beloved products actually were causing extreme dryness and damage in the driest sections. But when I'm deep conditioning weekly/ bimonthly and being relatively gently with my hair and trims as needed, I get consistent growth (4 in yearly - after trims).

Daina

@Daina if you don't mind my asking what is your hair/styling regimen?

@Leo24Rule, sorry just seeing this as I have been swamped with work! My regimen is fairly simple in that I cleanse weekly (I typically only use shampoo 2x per month) using either Wen or As I am Co-wash. When I do shampoo it's scalp only and I always conditioner cleanse the length. The only time I will shampoo the length is if I am clarifying. I deep condition weekly typically with heat or steam and use protein 1-2x per month depending on what my hair needs. I use various pre-treatments depending on what my hair needs and occasionally pre-poo. For styling I use limited heat and typically only flat-iron 3-4 times per year at most. Limiting heat has been the biggest game changer for me. Two or three weeks out of the month I will braid or twist my hair and will wear a twist or braid out for church on Sunday. Monday I am back in a bun and rotate the bun mid-week to change position and to moisturize and seal. The last week of the month I will wear a single french braid with the ends tucked. I'm just now learning to self-trim and will be using the method similar to the video @dontspeakdefeat posted. Fingers crossed I do it correctly as I don't really have a stylist I trust at the moment for my trims. Below are my staple products and finally I also take supplements which I will list and I drink a green veggie smoothie daily, 1 gallon of water daily and try to get in at least 40g of protein per day. HTH and your hair is gorgeous so I'd love to hear your regimen as well!

Pre-Treatments
Komaza Pona Scalp treatment
Philip Kingsley Elasticizer
Olaplex
Dabur Vatika oil

Cleansers

Wen 613
Aussie Moist 3 minute-miracle
Redken Cleansing Cream
Keracare hydrating shampoo
As I Am Coconut cowash
SM Manuka Honey

Deep Conditioner
Vatika Black Seed masque
Macadamia Oil deep conditioning masque
SM Manuka Honey
SM Sachi Inchi masque

Oils
JBCO
EVOO
Grapeseed oil
Jojoba oil
Sweet Almond oil
Wheat germ oil

Moisturizers/Stylers
Anything Qhemet Biologics
CRN Moisture Milk
CRN Almond Jai TB
CRN Curlaide Moisture Butter
Extreme Wetline Gel

Supplements/Growth Aids
BB Vitamins
BB Tea
Chlorella
Spirulina
Collagen
HA
Xcel 21

Lucia

Well my hair was acting crazy due to the weather changes. So it's juiced up in braid twists. My new steamer should arrive soon so I'll be able to fix my moisture/protein balance.
I've upped my vitamin game.

Every other day:
multivitamin
Omega 3
Calcium

Daily:
Organic EV Coconut oil 2 teaspoons with each meal
biotin
msm
vitamin C
Echinacea
Zinc

I've tweaked my diet some more, even though I basically eat clean 90% of the time, yeah that 10% is leeway for cheat meals. 1-2L water a day. I try to workout at least 3 x a week.

Last edited:

KenyafromCT

@Leo24Rule, sorry just seeing this as I have been swamped with work! My regimen is fairly simple in that I cleanse weekly (I typically only use shampoo 2x per month) using either Wen or As I am Co-wash. When I do shampoo it's scalp only and I always conditioner cleanse the length. The only time I will shampoo the length is if I am clarifying. I deep condition weekly typically with heat or steam and use protein 1-2x per month depending on what my hair needs. I use various pre-treatments depending on what my hair needs and occasionally pre-poo. For styling I use limited heat and typically only flat-iron 3-4 times per year at most. Limiting heat has been the biggest game changer for me. Two or three weeks out of the month I will braid or twist my hair and will wear a twist or braid out for church on Sunday. Monday I am back in a bun and rotate the bun mid-week to change position and to moisturize and seal. The last week of the month I will wear a single french braid with the ends tucked. I'm just now learning to self-trim and will be using the method similar to the video @dontspeakdefeat posted. Fingers crossed I do it correctly as I don't really have a stylist I trust at the moment for my trims. Below are my staple products and finally I also take supplements which I will list and I drink a green veggie smoothie daily, 1 gallon of water daily and try to get in at least 40g of protein per day. HTH and your hair is gorgeous so I'd love to hear your regimen as well!

Pre-Treatments
Komaza Pona Scalp treatment
Philip Kingsley Elasticizer
Olaplex
Dabur Vatika oil

Cleansers

Wen 613
Aussie Moist 3 minute-miracle
Redken Cleansing Cream
Keracare hydrating shampoo
As I Am Coconut cowash
SM Manuka Honey

Deep Conditioner
Vatika Black Seed masque
Macadamia Oil deep conditioning masque
SM Manuka Honey
SM Sachi Inchi masque

Oils
JBCO
EVOO
Grapeseed oil
Jojoba oil
Sweet Almond oil
Wheat germ oil

Moisturizers/Stylers
Anything Qhemet Biologics
CRN Moisture Milk
CRN Almond Jai TB
CRN Curlaide Moisture Butter
Extreme Wetline Gel

Supplements/Growth Aids
BB Vitamins
BB Tea
Chlorella
Spirulina
Collagen
HA
Xcel 21

Hello! I finally figured out how to find you on this thread! lolol

I see you have used some abbreviations, could you tell give deets on what they are? I'd appreciate it so much!! Thank you!

And what do you tie your hair up in at night? Do you satin pillowcases?

Lucia

Repost from another thread

I looove macadamia nut oil. They remind me of my favorite cookie. You know the one with white chocolate chips in it.

Anyways from what I found out online Mac Nut Oil mimmicks the sebum that our bodies make to protect our hair shafts. So it's a close runner up when compared to Jojoba.

Also Contains the highest amount of palmitoleic acid (an Omega 7 fatty acid) of any plant. Palmitoleic acid is abundant in the body at birth but decreases with age, causing dull, coarse, dehydrated hair. By replenishing hair with it, this essential component of human sebum plays an integral role in lubrication, softening and protection of hair protein structures, which ultimately leaves hair hydrated, healthy and shiny.

Palmitoleic acid also replaces naturally occurring skin on the lips, allowing the skin to remain younger looking.

Macadamia oil reduces wrinkles and dryness. It is a natural moisturizer and emollient (emollients attract and trap moisture from the air). Macadamia oil is light and non-greasy so it is easily absorbed into the hair shaft and skin. Another gift of macadamia nut oil is that it contains proteins, and its vitamin E contributes skin-care benefits and long shelf life.

Macadamia nut oil also offers protection from the sun and can help treat sunburns. It also makes an excellent carrier oil. I read somewhere that the oil partially penetrates hair strands but I can't vouch for that. It's nice and light when I use it and helps to thin out thick oils as well i.e. Castor oil.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlr...fect-macadamia-nut-oil-for-hair-and-skin-care

Okay after some snooping I found out that it does partially penetrate because of its high count of monounsaturated fatty acids (which also makes it healthy for you)

Generally, molecules with a straight chain geometry (saturated fatty acids) i.e Coconut oil can easily fit through the pores of the cuticle layer and slither through the CMC and into the interior of the cortex. Recent spectroscopic studies have allowed scientists to confirm that monounsaturated fatty acids i.e Mac Nut Oil are also able to readily penetrate the interior of the hair via this route.

It is only the polyunsaturated oils that don't penetrate at all because of the many chains that it is composed of.

Daina

Hello! I finally figured out how to find you on this thread! lolol

I see you have used some abbreviations, could you tell give deets on what they are? I'd appreciate it so much!! Thank you!

And what do you tie your hair up in at night? Do you satin pillowcases?

@Kenya Yopp, hi glad you were able to find the thread! Most times as soon as I get in the house I tie my hair up with a satin/silk scarf and yes I have silk pillowcases, silk scrunchies and love my SLAP caps which is a silk lined slouch hat. Below are the abbreviation answers, hope this helps - if not ask away!

JBCO - Jamaican Black Castor Oil
EVOO - Extra-virgin olive oil
CRN - Camille Rose Naturals
BB - Beautifully Bamboo
HA - Hyaluronic Acid

KenyafromCT

@Kenya Yopp, hi glad you were able to find the thread! Most times as soon as I get in the house I tie my hair up with a satin/silk scarf and yes I have silk pillowcases, silk scrunchies and love my SLAP caps which is a silk lined slouch hat. Below are the abbreviation answers, hope this helps - if not ask away!

JBCO - Jamaican Black Castor Oil
EVOO - Extra-virgin olive oil
CRN - Camille Rose Naturals
BB - Beautifully Bamboo
HA - Hyaluronic Acid

Thanks so much!!! I appreciate it!

Daina

@Dania what does wheat germ oil do? What's HA & Xcel 21?

@Lucia you take 2 Tbsp of EVCO with every meal? Why?

@Leo24Rule, wheat germ oil is a ceramide oil. Ceramides are lipids that naturally occur in skin and hair. It contains greater than 50% linoleic acid, Omega 3 and Vitamin B6 to name a few of its benefits. I use it on top of my moisturizing DC's as it helps with locking in moisture, adding shine, strength and luster.

Xcel 21 is the new form of Surge 14 if I'm remembering correctly. There is a huge thread on it where a number of us have seen benefits from using the spray and or cream. I don't know how to post a link but just search Xcel 21 or Surge 14 and I'm sure it will pop up.

HA is hyaluronic acid which I take along with my collagen. Don't know if it's adding any hair value but my skin looks amazing.

Lucia

So I have to change up some things, I think I found the culprit for my hair going HAM on me last week. hydrolyzed vegetable protein PG-propyl silanetriol, also known as Keravis protein.

This ingredient (a protein mixed with a silicone) that's in Shea Moisture JBCO leave in and the jbco hair masque. It's not exactly curlygirl approved, I don't mind light cones they come out with baking soda and acv rinse it's the heavy duty cones I worry about, and since this is reeking havok on my hair- it's out!

I didn't pay attention to it but I've been following up that leave in with a heavy oil like castor oil or whipped avocado butter which would soften up the cast, but next day my hair was dry again. I thought it was seasonal dryness, so I stopped using any Shea Moisture JBCO products, and anything Shea Moisture clarified, and started over with CRN moisture milk and a light oil to seal. Going to get to the bottom of this, using 1 product at a time to weed out the ones not working for my hair. We will see how it goes this weekend.

Article on Shea moisture JBCO
http://www.maneobjective.com/2014/08/shea-moisture-jamaican-black-castor-oil-leave-in-review.html

Last edited:

Lucia

@Dania what does wheat germ oil do? What's HA & Xcel 21?

@Lucia you take 2 Tbsp of EVCO with every meal? Why?

I'm only taking 2teaspoons, I think 2 tablespoons is more than enough.
I'm taking it to boost my fat burning when I work out, it also has a lot of great benefits on bad cholesterol which affects those with high blood pressure and Alzheimer's. I also read somewhere that when taken internally food grade organic Evco can really boost hair and nail growth and strength and luster. I always use food grade eadible oils on my hair and skin less extra chemicals to worry about. Some oils are not safe to ingest, but are good for hair and skin. I'll link some articles

http://bit.ly/2mdX5GV

http://bit.ly/1R0bCdv

Last edited:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Keeping my hair braided and moisturized. If my hair were a kitty, it would purr. My hair is very manageable and I am happy with how it looks and feels. Onward to month #3, March 2017!