Healthy NL 2013 Challenge!!

naija24

Hello LHCF ladies!!

I didn't see any challenges like this while browsing so I volunteered to start one! I am a new TWA lady and I am sure that there are others like me that would like to have some support while growing out our hair to healthy NL, which is very attainable, I'm sure!

The challenge runs from now until December 31, 2013!~

Please introduce yourself (or send me a PM if you would like to participate!):
  • How long is your TWA?
  • Regimen, if any?
  • Check-In Goals?
  • What month in 2013 do you hope to reach NL?
Check in Dates:
March 31, 2013
June 30, 2013
September 30, 2013
December 2013

If you hit NL sooner than December, let us know, and we'll all congradulate you for graduating to the next stage!​

And please ladies, feel free to share any pictures you may have!!!

faithVA

Great Job for your 1st challenge thread :yep:

How long is your TWA?
My hair is between EL and NL. I will be measuring from the back, just below my crown.

Regimen, if any?

I cowash every 4 days.
Wash 1x a week: Hair One Olive Oil, AO Blue Chamomile under heat cap, seal with apricot oil, apply leave-in or moisturize.

Check-In Goals?

What month in 2013 do you hope to reach NL?
I would love to be NL by September. But realistically I think it will be December. I have at least 4 to 5 inches from my nape to the bottom of my neck.

Will Post Starting Pic Later

faithVA

naija24, What are check in goals?

Do you want people to have a starting and ending pic as a minimum? It is good to have a picture record or history.

naija24

How long is your TWA?
Last time I checked in February, I had about an inch all over.

Regimen, if any?
I hope to use as little manipulation on my hair as possible. I'm currently planning to use braids for 3 month stretches and do length checks every time I take it out.

Check-In Goals?
March 31, 2013 -- I hope to have 2 solid inches of hair, which would give me a nice EL bob.
June 30, 2013 -- I hope to have my hair finally touching my neck and I'd like some healthy bangs as well.
September 30, 2013 --I hope to finally be NL
December 2013 -- Full NL

What month in 2013 do you hope to reach NL?
Considering the last time I BC'ed probably mid-late September. HOpefully with braids, maybe I can reach it by August if I'm lucky. I hope to straighten my hair in October so that's when I hope to do my final length check.

This is my current length of hair.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/picture.php?albumid=9357&pictureid=121125

Last edited:

faithVA

I'm going to take measurements this weekend. Going to measure from my crown to my nape and edges. Then from my nape to NL; my front edges to Chin length.

I think from my crown to my edges and/or nape is 6". That's a lot of hair.

faithVA

Ok I measured tonight. From my crown to my front edges is 6". My crown to my nape is 8". From my nape to NL is 5".

I will measure NL from the back of head slightly below my crown. From that spot to NL is 10 inches. I have 4" of hair. I need 6 more inches before I reach Full NL. My nape is grazing NL now but most of my hair is not close.

ronie

I said I was not joining any length challenge this year, but I think NL is a realistic challenge for me.
My twa is about 4-5 inches all around.
No set regimen, just make sure I dc on the regular. I m on a personal natural product only challenge. Will re evaluate in 6 months.
I hope to be full neck length by September for DH birthday. That will be my first and only flat iron for the year.
I will add a pull picture later but here are some pics of my TWA.

image-4238908894.jpg

Twist out

image-3358391843.jpg

Failed twist out turned puff

image-3947000033.jpg

2 strand twist

image-1898998690.jpg

Braid out

image-3976224308.jpg

Braid out back

Seamonster

Good luck everyone. This is a great challenge. Wish it was here last year when I BC'd. Only thing I got left at chin length is the crown.

naija24

I said I was not joining any length challenge this year, but I think NL is a realistic challenge for me.
My twa is about 4-5 inches all around.
No set regimen, just make sure I dc on the regular. I m on a personal natural product only challenge. Will re evaluate in 6 months.
I hope to be full neck length by September for DH birthday. That will be my first and only flat iron for the year.
I will add a pull picture later but here are some pics of my TWA.

View attachment 194829

Twist out

View attachment 194831

Failed twist out turned puff

View attachment 194835

2 strand twist

View attachment 194837

Braid out

View attachment 194839

Braid out back

Your hair is so fluffy and gorgeous!! What texture are you?

faithVA

Have my hair in a puff, so harder to moisturize the ends. Sprayed it last night with Califia Moisturizing spray and added a little sunflower oil. Then I smoothed my edges up on all sides and tied a scarf around it. It was so easy to do my puff this morning. I will definitely repeat this.

naija24

the few top braids on my hair are already becoming a tad fuzzy. since i've had them in for less than 7 days, this can't be new growth already (we can hope though!).

Should I be concerned for my hair??

faithVA

Washed my hair earlier than usual. Airdrying in medium twists. Will start wearing more twists. Plan on putting in spring twists soon. Practicing starting them so the installation will go faster.

naija24

two weeks into my braids and I can already feel my braids getting looser at the base from new growth!! it's a wonderful feeling!~

I will be adding biotin vitamins to my diet, to "test" whether the hoopla about it growing your hair super fast is true for me.

faithVA

Here is my twist out this week. It's getting better. I hope it looks better in person than it does in the pictures. If I can hold onto my ends, I am going to be pleased by the fall.

TwistOutSideP1 (640x482).jpg

TwistOutTopP1 (640x519).jpg

It's hard to show length shows at this length. I will take a length picture the first of March to have a starting point.

faithVA

^^:Blush2: :thankyou: I don't usually get into the pretty hair group :lol:

My hair is so rebellious I have to be creative with hairstyles. It refuses to do the same thing 3 days in a row :lol: It was the same when I was relaxed.

ronie

naija24 I am not quite sure i fit in a texture type. I always say 4b cause my hair has all the characteristics of 4b hair ( coarse, dry, "unmanageable"). But i don't have the nice uniform o shape or springy coils of most 4b ladies. My bare hair has no pattern whatsoever, i mean none. I am about to wash my hair and if i remember i will take a picture after i cleanse my hair right before i put my DC or after my DC before my leave in. You will see what i mean. When it is moisturized and sealed with the right stuff then i get some 4a coils on the crown, front and middle back, and 4b coils on my edges and perimeters.
Your twistout is getting some serious hang time. I love the shine faithVA

faithVA

Technically I guess I am at ear length. 80% of my hair touches either the bottom of my ear, the tip of my nose or my nape. My crown is just touching the top of my ear. I tend to trim that more since its coarser and seems to have more splits.

So hopefully that puts me at NL by the end of the year.

faithVA

Cowashed tonight with a mix of conditioners. It took me 45 minutes to twist up. Hopefully by the summer, I can reduce that time. But it's feeling better and looking better. So I'm happy :yep:

ronie

Cowashed tonight with a mix of conditioners. It took me 45 minutes to twist up. Hopefully by the summer, I can reduce that time. But it's feeling better and looking better. So I'm happy :yep:

My last twist was less than an hour as well, more than 45 minutes though. I was so happy. Taking care of my hair is getting easier every day. Baby steps but i can feel the progress.

faithVA

My last twist was less than an hour as well, more than 45 minutes though. I was so happy. Taking care of my hair is getting easier every day. Baby steps but i can feel the progress.

I like measuring the progress. When I first big chopped I know it was nearly 1.5 hrs to twist, when I could twist. Some days it was so tight I couldn't twist all of it :lol: Then I was doing 2.5 to 3 hr finger coils. So 45 minutes is good. I have been able to do 30 minutes, but my hair has to be stretched already. So in two months maybe it will be consistently 30 minutes.

Now I'm cowashing every other day so only having to twist on cowash days. Second day hair :yay: