Hip Length Challenge 2010

winnettag

Good luck to everyone. I will be watching this thread and hopefully be in this challenge in 2011. What retention methods will you guys be using to reach your goal?

Thanks! I know I'll need it, lol.
I'm going to stay braided up (extensions or cornrows under my wigs) most of the time and bun the rest of the time.
I'm also going to try out henna to see if it can make my hair stronger.

Lucia

Good luck to everyone. I will be watching this thread and hopefully be in this challenge in 2011. What retention methods will you guys be using to reach your goal?

I'll be using weave closures, baggying, moisturizing daily, ayurveda oil 2-3x/week. Taking down the weave every 4-6 weeks, DC, S&D, and rebraiding weaving. I'm really going to step up my hair game to get to HPL, then full HPL.

Jewell

I'm a long way away, and may be able to join in 2011! Good luck and HHG to all you ladies in the challenge!

schipperchow1

Hi schipperchow1! :wave:

"Sort of." :yep:. I have 'hairs' that are straining to my hip. The bulk of my hair is past waist length but not quite thick, full hip length, yet. It's a great challenge and I will use it to help me stay on track. Let's see what happens. Good luck ladies.

Best of luck to you in thickening up then! I don't think I have any hairs touching hip today so those who are already touching inspire me to do what I need to do to get there:yep:

schipperchow1

ClassicBeauty - great length:drunk:

Hip is top of hipbones. Tailbone is the end of the spinal cord.
Like Winnetag said, it looks like your longest layers are touching hip, but I think tb would be a little past your white shirt.

Depending on body shape, there may be only a few inches from waist to hip. For example, on me it's about 2" from waist. But bottom of shoulder blade to waist...now that was a journey. Still not sure if I am even at waist. :ohwell: Will find out tomorrow after I straighten.

Hope this helps.

schipperchow1

:yay: more inspirational women on the grow to hip length.
:welcome4: Lucia, Chicoro, orchidgirl & 2theMax.

To those who are lurking... thank you for your support:yep:

Last edited:

Lucia

Hi schipperchow1! :wave:

"Sort of." :yep:. I have 'hairs' that are straining to my hip. The bulk of my hair is past waist length but not quite thick, full hip length, yet. It's a great challenge and I will use it to help me stay on track. Let's see what happens. Good luck ladies.
Hey Chica, :wave:
nice to see your progress pics, great job. I'm sure you'll be full HPL really soon, this will be a really good challenge.

mariofmagdal

Moisturize twice daily. Baggy each night. Protective styling,
Bun/Banded Pony, giving extra focus to my ends. No heat.

goldielocs

I like the color & length of your locs! How do you care for them?

Hi Schipperchow.

My locs are free form so i don't tighten them at all. I wash them at least once a week and keep them covered most of the time. Since I'm a SAHM I don't have to worry about styling them a lot. The color was put in 2 years ago. I think it's T&T honey blond. I don't think I'll be coloring them anymore. It caused a lot of breakage. I usually wash with Paul Mitchell's original shampoo and use the tea tree conditioner. Other than that, it's water spritzes and coconut oil. I find simplicity to be best. I want to get them steamed professionally, but there are few salons here that do that. After reading the thread on MN I may try that to see if I see any more growth.

take care and TTYL

Toy

Thank you,I will be bunning my way through it.

Mz.MoMo5235

i just wanted to show some of my progress as i was super excited when i did a length check today :D

so, the end of oct a had a bad "trim" that took me from below wl to bsl. this pic was taken a few days after that on 11/6/09

this pic was taken today 12/18/09

i'm so happy with the difference. i cant wait til i hit my goal... again lol
sorry the pix are so big yall, i thought by making them bigger it would be easier to compare the 2

Lucia

MzMoMo5235
You've made a lot of progress, your hairs approaching MBL you'll hit goal in no time. What's your regime?

Lucia

Oh I found some hair length charts to help us ID where we are and where we want to go. I don't like the measurement inches or cm charts b/c 20 inches on a petite woman is HPL but on a tall woman is BSL or MDBK, then there's short waist or tors and long waist and torso diff. combinations of both, not to mention long or short necks yada, yada. JMO

Last edited:

Mz.MoMo5235

thank you... i think in another inch or 2 i'll be mbl. i'm excited :D

i have 2 separate reggies but my winter reggie is

poo wash 1x per month
co-wash 1x per week
air dry 80-90%
blow dry straight on cool
bun

after i wash i spray with a moisture/protein spritz, put some leave in cond in, shea butter when xtra dry, and then seal with evoo.

in the summer time i do the exact same thing except i air dry 100% and only blow dry with a defuser when needed (i.e. running late since i dont leave the house with wet hair)

schipperchow1

i just wanted to show some of my progress as i was super excited when i did a length check today :D

so, the end of oct a had a bad "trim" that took me from below wl to bsl.
i'm so happy with the difference. i cant wait til i hit my goal... again lol
sorry the pix are so big yall, i thought by making them bigger it would be easier to compare the 2

That's some serious growth you've got there!:yep:

winnettag

Ok, HL may be a stretch for this year, since i didn't even make WL, but miracles do happen right?
There's a LOT I could be doing to improve the health of my body and hair, so I'm going to keep hope alive.
I know I had some breakage since my Sept. length check because my hair grew about 3/4 of an inch since early Nov. when my cornrows were put in, but it doesn't appear that I've retained that much length. Hopefully regular Henna and Cassia treatments will make my hair stronger.
Any way, here's my starting pic:

Attachments

• Dec 0920.jpg
    Dec 0920.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 74

schipperchow1

Ok, HL may be a stretch for this year, since i didn't even make WL, but miracles do happen right?
There's a LOT I could be doing to improve the health of my body and hair, so I'm going to keep hope alive.
I know I had some breakage since my Sept. length check because my hair grew about 3/4 of an inch since early Nov. when my cornrows were put in, but it doesn't appear that I've retained that much length. Hopefully regular Henna and Cassia treatments will make my hair stronger.
Any way, here's my starting pic:

Are you sure you're not WL? That's a lot of hair & it isn't straightened :gorgeous: I think you could make HL by Dec 2010 so definitely keep hope alive:yep:.

I still haven't straightened my hair & doubt that I will do it today so I will probably post a nekked wet hair picture later today to show my length & see if I made waist.

winnettag

Are you sure you're not WL? That's a lot of hair & it isn't straightened :gorgeous: I think you could make HL by Dec 2010 so definitely keep hope alive:yep:.

I still haven't straightened my hair & doubt that I will do it today so I will probably post a nekked wet hair picture later today to show my length & see if I made waist.

Hopefully you're right. I don't know when I'll ever get around to straightening. Thanks for the encouragement!
Can't wait to see your pics!

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I want to join. I guess I better sync my phone for the pics I took last wk, they're crappy but whatever.

ETA: Better late than never, couldn't find USB cord to finally find it months later and find out my old arse Tilt won't let me upload pic, anyway this is the pic I took back in December of 2009:

Last edited:

schipperchow1

Doesn't this challenge start today? Where are all the starting pictures???

Guilty as charged:look: I am trying to finish a research paper :bookworm2: :work: :user:and my hair keeps getting on the back burner. However, my camera is charged & I will have someone take a picture of the back of my head today. Just be aware that it won't be straightened or as long & gorgeous as yours :kiss3:but I am thankful for what I've got :yep:

Last edited:

MAMATO

I only have a pic of my hair one week after a blowdry job, sorry for the bad quality of the photo:perplexed

Attachments

• Mamahair.jpg
    Mamahair.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 81