How long did it take for you to nurse your hair to health?

how long did it take you to nurse your hair to good health?

• i'm still nursing my hair to health.

Votes: 427 56.2%
  • my hair doesn't seem to be progressing.

Votes: 19 2.5%
  • 6 months or less

Votes: 128 16.8%
  • 6-12months

Votes: 98 12.9%
  • 12 months +

Votes: 52 6.8%
  • my hair as always been very healthy!

Votes: 21 2.8%
  • other:please state

Votes: 15 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nanyanika

Since my texturizer disaster over a couple of years ago, it has taken a long ime to get my hair into better condition, i still have some of those damaged ends left over from my text, in Nov 2004. I've been gradially cutting them away, my hair is currently the healthiest it has been in a long while. I accompished healthier hair, by regular braiding, conditioing, moisturising and through supplements.

KiniKakes

Still nursing my hair back to health. Its considerably thicker and stronger since I started this regimen last August.... so i see that it's getting there. And Ive gained a couple of inches, which is encouraging. BUt Im still having a bit of breakage, which concerns me. Not shedding, but actual little broken pieces of hair. Not a lot at all, but i would love to get to a place where i have NONE at all.

I have increased the moisture in my regimen, to make sure that lack of moisture is not causing the breakage, but no change. The breakage is a few short strands of hair in the sink, on my hands, and in my wide tooth comb when i apply oils to my scalp and my moisturizers/oils to the ends. I scrutinize the pieces carefully, and the ends that break off arent split at the end or anything, thank goodness (although i dont know how the remaining piece left in the hair looks now). I'm barely manipulating my hair when im doing this, so it seems odd for little pieces to be in the sink, even if just a few. So i figured its time for an intense protein treatment, like Aphogee.

OneInAMillion

I had a lot of breakage due to color and overprocessing in 2004 in May. By about June 2005 after many trims and tears, I saw most of the damage was gone. Since they, I have still been regaining health, now it's time to gain some length!

macherieamour

Still nursing...

I work on one problem at a time

First, my hair was dry and I fixed that with consistent deep conditioning and wrapping at night

Then, I focused on breakage and Im curbing that with protein hot towel treatement

After I get my anti breakage routine down, im gonna focus on getting my hair to be more shiny:)

And so on and so forth:grin:

Tene

I'm still nursing my hair to health. I have so much damage from permanent dyes and relaxers.

MizaniMami

I'm still nursing my hair back to health.

Doing Nexxus Emergencee every 2 weeks. Moisturizing every day and night.

I might give aphogee another go.

RabiaElaine

KiniKakes said:
Still nursing my hair back to health. Its considerably thicker and stronger since I started this regimen last August.... so i see that it's getting there. And Ive gained a couple of inches, which is encouraging. BUt Im still having a bit of breakage, which concerns me. Not shedding, but actual little broken pieces of hair. Not a lot at all, but i would love to get to a place where i have NONE at all.

I have increased the moisture in my regimen, to make sure that lack of moisture is not causing the breakage, but no change. The breakage is a few short strands of hair in the sink, on my hands, and in my wide tooth comb when i apply oils to my scalp and my moisturizers/oils to the ends. I scrutinize the pieces carefully, and the ends that break off arent split at the end or anything, thank goodness (although i dont know how the remaining piece left in the hair looks now). I'm barely manipulating my hair when im doing this, so it seems odd for little pieces to be in the sink, even if just a few. So i figured its time for an intense protein treatment, like Aphogee.

I have this same issue. I can't figure it out. I'm scared to do Aphogee though. I really want to try it since so many people here count on it to eliminate breakage. I need to gain some courage and buy some.

morehairplease

macherieamour said:
Still nursing...

I work on one problem at a time

First, my hair was dry and I fixed that with consistent deep conditioning and wrapping at night

Then, I focused on breakage and Im curbing that with protein hot towel treatement

After I get my anti breakage routine down, im gonna focus on getting my hair to be more shiny:)

And so on and so forth:grin:

still nursing too.....

do you mind telling me exactly how you do this?
tia,
tishee

KiniKakes

RabiaElaine said:
I have this same issue. I can't figure it out. I'm scared to do Aphogee though. I really want to try it since so many people here count on it to eliminate breakage. I need to gain some courage and buy some.

Im scared too. :lol: I have the Aphogee treatment just sitting on my shelf waiting for me to muster up the courage. I have read so many threads on it and asked tons of questions, so I feel that I have all the information that I need to do it successfully..... yet im nervous. :eek: I guess my hair is so fine textured, and this treatment is so strong, that i fear doing something to further damage my hair and derail my progress. One day im just gonna go for it though.

macherieamour

tishee said:
still nursing too.....

do you mind telling me exactly how you do this?
tia,
tishee

Sure! I just apply my protein conditioner (ORS Hair Mayo) on dry, unwashed hair and cover hair with a steaming hot towel for abour 15 mins. Then, I shampoo and condition like usual.

My hair felt stronger and less wayed down this way.

Also, I dont have to jump in and out of the shower. I just go in once. Ive tried this twice and it works for me. Ive only tried it with ORS tho, not sure about other conditioners...

Nice & Wavy

KiniKakes said:
Im scared too. :lol: I have the Aphogee treatment just sitting on my shelf waiting for me to muster up the courage. I have read so many threads on it and asked tons of questions, so I feel that I have all the information that I need to do it successfully..... yet im nervous. :eek: I guess my hair is so fine textured, and this treatment is so strong, that i fear doing something to further damage my hair and derail my progress. One day im just gonna go for it though.

Don't be afraid. I have fine textured hair too and I used it more than once. I made sure that I coated my hair with it, didn't saturate it too much, and then piled it up on my head and sat under the dryer. After it dried (I touched it lightly to feel how dry it was) I let the warm water slowly rinse my hair (don't touch your hair, let the water do it) until I could see my hair loosining up in the sink. Then, I carefully assisted the water throughout my whole head until it was completely out.

It's not bad at all as long as you follow the directions.

Hope that helps!

Blessings...:)

Doremie13

I selected six months or less because I literally brought my hair "back from the dead" thanks to all of you. Since January, I went from wanting to cut off my dry, crunchy, broken, nappy (not in the good way), top-of-the-shoulders hair to now having hair that is softer, stronger, longer, shinier and healthier.

I would say I'm "in rehab" now because I'm learning how to take better care of my hair and how to avoid any further "life threatening" damage.

KiniKakes

Nice & Wavy said:
Don't be afraid. I have fine textured hair too and I used it more than once. I made sure that I coated my hair with it, didn't saturate it too much, and then piled it up on my head and sat under the dryer. After it dried (I touched it lightly to feel how dry it was) I let the warm water slowly rinse my hair (don't touch your hair, let the water do it) until I could see my hair loosining up in the sink. Then, I carefully assisted the water throughout my whole head until it was completely out.

It's not bad at all as long as you follow the directions.

Hope that helps!

Blessings...:)

Thanks girl! It does help!!!!

Radianthealth

I am still nursing my hair back to health, I just joined the board and I must say I am extremely impressed with all of you. I am happy :D to be a member of such a well informed, and positive community.

4-B chin length hair striving for healthy shoulder length hair then APL. I wash with ORS Olive Shampoo and deep condition with UBH conditioner on Wednesdays and Sundays. I have been using MTG, MN, and 3000 mg of MSM for about a week now.

I took my braids out about a week ago and I can't remember the last time I had a relaxer. I think my hair may be a little over moisturized. When I do a strand test it stretches more than usual then breaks. Currently I am trying to nurse my hairline back to health. I think frequent braid wearing has taken it's toll and I am not sure which style I will go to after my relaxer. I don't really like to wear my hair down, but I think the phony pony might be damaging and pulling on my hair too much. Daily combing can't be too good either.

Currently my hair is the longest it has ever been. I have always had short, dry, coarse hair no more than 5 inches long. Hopefully I will perfect my routine. I am using a mixture of what I have found on the boards, Cathy Howse, and Crown and Glory method (except I will try not to wear braids until my hairline comes back).

My goal is to improve the health of my hair, minimize or eliminate breakage, increase length, and improve thickness (if that is possible)

Sorry for rambling, but I am new :perplexed

sweetcashew

I voted 6 months. In 2000 I dyed my hair with Feria and it was so dry and damaged. I continued using ORS hair mayo mixed with a moisturizing conditioner (I think it was smooth and shine before they reformulated it) and some hot oil. Once a week for about 3 months I used Joico k-pak deep penetrating reconstructor. And I cut off about 8 inches.
After about 6 months my hair seemed like it had completely recovered.

KiniKakes

trimbride said:
I am still nursing my hair back to health, I just joined the board and I must say I am extremely impressed with all of you. I am happy :D to be a member of such a well informed, and positive community.

4-B chin length hair striving for healthy shoulder length hair then APL. I wash with ORS Olive Shampoo and deep condition with UBH conditioner on Wednesdays and Sundays. I have been using MTG, MN, and 3000 mg of MSM for about a week now.

I took my braids out about a week ago and I can't remember the last time I had a relaxer. I think my hair may be a little over moisturized. When I do a strand test it stretches more than usual then breaks. Currently I am trying to nurse my hairline back to health. I think frequent braid wearing has taken it's toll and I am not sure which style I will go to after my relaxer. I don't really like to wear my hair down, but I think the phony pony might be damaging and pulling on my hair too much. Daily combing can't be too good either.

Currently my hair is the longest it has ever been. I have always had short, dry, coarse hair no more than 5 inches long. Hopefully I will perfect my routine. I am using a mixture of what I have found on the boards, Cathy Howse, and Crown and Glory method (except I will try not to wear braids until my hairline comes back).

My goal is to improve the health of my hair, minimize or eliminate breakage, increase length, and improve thickness (if that is possible)

Sorry for rambling, but I am new :perplexed

Welcome to the boards, and your regime sounds very good!

Mom23

I am still nursing my hair to health. It has improved and I'm still working on it. I used to use direct heat 3-4 times per week, so alot of my ends even though I moisturize them, are still kind of dry. I usually dust with each touch up to gradually get rid of the hair I abused. :lol:

I am learning new things all the time from this site, so I expect my hair to be a whole lot longer and healthier this time next year!!

HairQueen

I'm still nursing it. Its been 13 months now and it is 100 x better than it was when I first started but I still have about 2 inches of bad ends in the middle and in some spots the crown is still damaged. I am also still growing out my layers.

I hope when I hit my 2 year mark (next January) my hair will be more or less perfect!

sareca

This is month number 8 and it's the healthiest I've seen it as an adult. I'm working on length now.

Last edited:

Sweet_Ambrosia

Well, my hair journey began in 2004, that’s when I first joined the hair boards.
The only issue I had was severely dry ends that resulted in breakage. Once I started moisturizing my ends often, the condition of my hair improved in less than six months, I was then able to retain length after so many years of breakage.

I now continue to follow the same basic regimen I started two years ago, my hair is as healthy as it was when I was little. :D
The only minor issue I’m concentrating on now is my nape, after years of relaxing it’s a bit thin. I’ve been using Africa’s Best Oil to help remedy the problem, slowly but surely its starting to get thick. :yep: Other than that its all gravy. :)

inthepink

I put 12+ months b/c I had to recover from a bad relaxer. I didn't want to cut off all of my hair (waist length) so I transitioned for about 18 months. So, I consider it taking me 18 months to have healthy hair again with no breakage - that 18 months was up in August, 2004. After that, I just had to deal with how short my hair was but it's been growing continously. Still, like others have mentioned, it's an ongoing battle with the setbacks and learning the best ways to care for your hair. It's so different even on one head of hair - relaxed, transitioning, natural, natural-short, natural-long, natural-straight....so many things to learn!

Last edited:

LABETT

I would have to say one year before my hair got back in shape.
My hair was overprocessed thinned out from a 27 step ponytail that left me with a bald spot and thin hair line.
I got my hair back in shape with
Protein treatments-Dudley DRC 28-best hair saver-ORS Hair Mayo
Airdrying-best advise I got since joining the board
Co Washes
Deep conditioning
Vitamin regimen
Stretching Relaxing,C&G Method

Blaque*Angel

very interesting responses, thank you all :rosebud:

by the way, the members that "BC'ed" should tick other and then explain their reasons ;)

sherann

Still nursing. I am trying to gain a little bit of length while cutting off the damaged thin ends in the back little by little. You ladies are so inspirational!

metalkitty

I'm still nursing it back to health. I've lightened my the front part of my hair, but that part doesn't seem more damaged than the rest... I had a bad experience with Affirm Lye which caused excessive shedding/ breakage. My hair is moody to say the least, sometimes the strangest routines will work and others won't. I think I figured my hair just likes to be somewhat left alone or at least treated very gently i.e. no rough combing! I need to start journaling again to figure out what works best on my head, I found that helps alot and keeps me from straying away from a routine.