If it's already been posted forgive me: MIXED CHICKS is SUING Sally Beauty!!!

Solitude

Good luck to them with that...Sally's is ripping off so many brands, it's ridiculous. I do like Hair One, though (knock-off Wen).

NikkiQ

Wow...

The PJ in me is wondering if MC wins their case, will Sally's put the MS on like super clearance to get rid of it :look:

shunemite

hmmm... I hadn't heard of this. Capitalism at its best. It'll be interesting to see how this lawsuit turns out. I am acutely aware of many other knock off brands of other beauty products galore, although I don't usually see any Paul Mitchell itself at Sally's right next to the generic brand. I think that if Mixed Chicks wasn't losing business they wouldn't really care about what the knock off brand was doing. It's gonna boil down to their paper work and what they legally signed. Maybe if they lose they can create a cheaper brand within their own line.

AlliCat

So wrong for a corporate giant (Sally's) to gain off a small company :nono:
As much as I :love: Sally's, in this case they took the steal-everyone's-recipe-and-call-it-generic strategy too far

Kneechay

So I looked it up:

The Deep Conditioners:

The Leave Ins

Set: (sorry so large)

They have a shampoo also.

Sally's is always making a knockoff, this isn't the first time.

Never tried them but, I can see the issue from both sides. It appears Sally's a big corporation picking on or disenfranchising a small, fledgling business by making a knockoff, but as a consumer, I see the benefit in being able to purchase a similar product at a much cheaper price. If this goes far, I think the most Mixed Chicks can achieve is making Sally's change the name, in which case, they may but can still comparatively market it against MC by saying: "Compare to Mixed Chicks" in ads.

This lawsuit will bring more attention to Sally's knockoff brand and will probably drive MC consumers who are now made aware of its existence to the knockoff, especially in this recession.

Regardless, I dont use either products, but I like Silk Elements product-line in general.

Your Cheeziness

Generics and knockoff's are the way of the world. This is nothing new. Every product in every store has about 50-11 versions of it sold with small tweaks and re-packaged under a different company. Even medication has generic and knockoffs for less.

The only thing I can see happening is Silk Elements being forced to change their packaging or the name because it looks a lot like Mixed Chicks.

ETA: Sally's is like the Queen B of bootleg products. I feel like they have their bases covered. :lol:

Last edited:

ladylibra_30

Wow...

The PJ in me is wondering if MC wins their case, will Sally's put the MS on like super clearance to get rid of it :look:

LOL! Look at you plotting. I bet you're already making room for your new products.

I'd like to see the outcome of this one. What would be the basis? Infringement???

It is the same thing :lol:

Last edited:

Tiye

I don't think M/C is going to win. There's nothing unique about conditioners in that price range. Recipe stealing? Multiple product lines are being produced by the same outsource manufacturers. It's just a matter of tweaking bases. But ... then again I could be wrong.

Diva_Esq

Hey, are you a feature on their website?

No!!! :nono:

Wow...

:lachen:

I don't think M/C is going to win. There's nothing unique about conditioners in that price range. Recipe stealing? Multiple product lines are being produced by the same outsource manufacturers. It's just a matter of tweaking bases. But ... then again I could be wrong.

Yea, I can see it from both sides.

EllePixie

Hmmm...interesting. I personally don't think the logo is similar enough to make them change it, but it's subjective. Mixed Chicks is just mad b/c the Sally formula is actually better...

Diva_Esq

Hmmm...interesting. I personally don't think the logo is similar enough to make them change it, but it's subjective. Mixed Chicks is just mad b/c the Sally formula is actually better...

If I read it right, they weren't arguing that the logo was the same, but they did allege that Sally used the Mixed Chicks logo to redirect people to their site and products.

The bottles are almost virtually identical. Sally is slick with theirs! ;)

EllePixie

If I read it right, they weren't arguing that the logo was the same, but they did allege that Sally used the Mixed Chicks logo to redirect people to their site and products.

The bottles are almost virtually identical. Sally is slick with theirs! ;)

Where did they use their logo? I haven't seen that.

EllePixie

IDK, maybe in their initial ads for it to bring people to the site. Not quite sure.

Hmmm interesting. I would think that Sally would be smarter than to do that, being that they rip off eeeerrrybody and their mama...they even have a body care line ripping off the Hemp lotions. They smell good too and are $7 a bottle rather than $15.

maxineshaw

So wrong for a corporate giant (Sally's) to gain off a small company :nono:
As much as I :love: Sally's, in this case they took the steal-everyone's-recipe-and-call-it-generic strategy too far

It may ethically questionable, but I don't believe it is illegal. I don't think that Mixed Chicks has a case.

AlliCat Why do you think that Sally's took their strategy too far? What makes Mixed Chicks so special?

AlliCat

It may ethically questionable, but I don't believe it is illegal. I don't think that Mixed Chicks has a case.

@AlliCat Why do you think that Sally's took their strategy too far? What makes Mixed Chicks so special?

Because they're being sued. Which means they didn't cover their butts. If Sally's had been endorsed by Mixed Chicks, they wouldn't have any legal issues. But Sally's didn't bother to get authorized, now they're on the hook.

maxineshaw

Because they're being sued. Which means they didn't cover their butts. If Sally's had been endorsed by Mixed Chicks, they wouldn't have any legal issues. But Sally's didn't bother to get authorized, now they're on the hook.

I don't understand what you mean by Sally's being endorsed by Mixed Chicks. Are you saying that Sally's has to get their permission in order to produce the knock-off?
Me confused:spinning:

Your Cheeziness

^^^ Initiating a lawsuit doesn't mean it's automatically mean it's a legitimate one. I also don't see an authorization convo going like this:

Sallys: Hey Mixed Chicks, can we make an identical product and sell it cheaper in our locally available, reputable chain store?

Mixed Chicks: Sure, girl. Go 'head! We good!

I don't see that happening.

EccentricRed

Can't even lie...got a bottle of the leave in conditioner at the crib...:look:

I knew what it was as soon as I saw "Mixed" in the title. I was in Sally's laughing about that one. :lol:

maxineshaw

Can't even lie...got a bottle of the leave in conditioner at the crib...:look:

I knew what it was as soon as I saw "Mixed" in the title. I was in Sally's laughing about that one. :lol:

The first time I saw it I actually thought "Wow, Sally's has Mixed Chicks???" I had to really read the bottle to tell the difference.