Look what she did to my baby's hair.....cry, mad, angry!! I NEED HELP!!!

moejama

PHEW! I was just starting to tear up until I learned that this is an old thread. Hopefully her dd's hair is recovering.

And now my rant: DO NOT PERM YOUR YOUNG GIRLS' HAIR!! For one, young girls need to learn how to love and appreciate their natural texture. This is one part of building good self esteem, and you do them no justice by robbing them of the opportunity of getting to know, much less, form an OPINION about their hair. Second, girls that young have yet to experience puberty and the hormonal changes that the body goes through. Don't know the science behind it, but back in the day, my mom's stylist wouldn't even let me entertain the thought of a relaxer until I had been menstruating for at least a year. I know everyone does things diff, but I for one, will wait until my child is @ the age to make the decision for herself whether or not she wants to relax. In the end, I didn't relax my hair until I was in high school. And while I was natural, I wasn't unpopular, I didnt feel less than, I certainly didn't get teased or have problems making friends, and I knew exactly how to care for my 4a/b hair. And trust me, I get it--my mom would lose her mind week after week gently detangling and braiding my hair when I was natural-- but SHE DID IT. And most importantly, I later got to make the decision whether to relax for MYSELF.

Ok, i'm clearly preaching to the choir. LHCF ladies know this already. Guess I'm making up for lost time...I haven't posted in a minute, lol

Cherokee-n-Black

I so want the update on this. I just can't imagine the psychological issues, especially sitting next to the perfectly coiffed biracial cousin day in and day out. That was just incredibly wrong.

Jewell

I know this is an old thread, but this type of thing sickens me. Who knows, the cousin may be jealous of you (mom), explaining why her daughter was sitting there perfectly coiffed and yours was looking like she stuck her finger in an electrical socket! I would have hauled off a can of WHOOP *** on the cousin, but if she is your only reliance for child care while you are away then it is definitely time to enlist the help of someone else. I would seriously consider suing cuzo for this!

Hope that the DD's hair has recovered gracefully from this!

Last edited:

Cherokee-n-Black

This type of thing sickens me. Who knows, the cousin may be jealous of you (mom), explaining why her daughter was sitting there perfectly coiffed and yours was looking like she stuck her finger in an electrical socket! I would have hauled off a can of WHOOP *** on the cousin, but if she is your only reliance for child care while you are away then it is definitely time to enlist the help of someone else. I would seriously consider suing cuzo for this!

I wish there was a way to edit titles of OLD THREADS. I know this caused a firestorm the first time. I really just want to know what happened after this. When I saw the "before" and "after" I literally gasped out loud. Oh, the cousin would have had hades to pay for this one. :nono:

g.lo

no wonder why some people can commit a murder!! this is unacceptable, how dare she?????

yep, curious to know as well, what happens next!!

lilyofthenile

Wow... I could really feel your pain there... you leave your child believing they will be taken care of really well and according to the way you've told them how to. Do you have any other relative around? Is it your cousin she's staying with? What your cousin did.... if mine did that.... we'd be falling out big time =/

My heart goes out to you, seriously :ohwell: :cry:

Avyn

OMG! First off, your daughter is absolutely beautiful.

Back to the subject at hand, I really don't know what I would do. Maybe cut as much of the damaged hair as possible and co-wash everyday for the next week until you leave. Then find someone that can cornrow her hair (not too tight) every two - three weeks throughout the rest of Spring and through the Summer. I believe that it will recover...just needs some tlc.

I agree with this.

Impresaria

I'm your huckleberry.
Here is a recent pic of the "baby"! She's 12 years old now and trying to do the most. I am having a helluva time getting the other photos to resize in Photobucket. Bare with me, I'll be back with a detailed update on what's going on with her hair and more pics once I get the photos to act right.

ETA: Here she is two days ago at practice for her school's talent show. Please be warned, she likes to swing her hair and stays FOREVER in it and touching it. She is not shy either. (I would turn the volume down if I were you!) You've been warned!

Naiomi Practicing

Cherokee-n-Black

Here is a recent pic of the "baby"! She's 12 years old now and trying to do the most. I am having a helluva time getting the other photos to resize in Photobucket. Bare with me, I'll be back with a detailed update on what's going on with her hair and more pics once I get the photos to act right.

ETA: Here she is two days ago at practice for her school's talent show. Please be warned, she likes to swing her hair and stays FOREVER in it and touching it. She is not shy either. (I would turn the volume down if I were you!) You've been warned!

Naiomi Practicing

:rocker: I am sooo glad. This thread had us all up in arms! "We are all Impresaria!" It looks great! Good job, Mom! Supermom! :D:superbanana:

Impresaria

I'm your huckleberry.
I really want to thank everyone who showed so much concern and support. I really don't post that often anymore, so please forgive me for making you all wait for an update.

Naiomi's hair has been through a few setbacks over the past few year due to a number of factors. The most glaring issue is that I am not home to take care of it (yeah, still in Iraq). My Mom is a minimalist when it comes to hair (she has alopecia, almost completely bald and wears wigs), she does as little as she can get away with. So although Naiomi's hair has been braided, it has still been neglected to some extent. My Mom finds whoever to braid her hair, and it has suffered at the hands of braiders that braid too tightly or who use the cheapest quality of hair. I send all kinds of products that just sit and collect dust (Megatek, Aubrey Organics, MTG, oils, herbs, nuts, berries, etc). Add to that Naiomi playing in her hair like most pre-teens tend to do. She has cut it, pulled at it, put all kinds of hair clips and what-not in her hair. I was expecting her hair to be in worse condition when I got home 3 weeks ago, but I was pleasantly surprised. Imagine how much better it will be in a years' time with proper care. No doubt, it should be MUCH longer and MUCH thicker after this amount of time, but the circumstances have made it quite difficult for all of us. I am far away and everyone else is just pretty damn lazy. I'll be home for good in a few months and she will be on track for sure. Right now, she gets it pressed every two weeks. I found a stylist that will come and pick her up for her bi-weekly appointments (she's a good friend) and I just Paypal her the $$. This way no one can come up with any excuses about transportation or lack of funds.

ETA: I put the cousin out in July 2008. She was my (ex)husbands cousin, I was just trying to help her out. By the time she left, she had thrashed my home, used several of my credit cards, and basically stole my identity. Haven't seen or heard from her since.

More pics!

Last edited:

SmilingElephant

What makes ppl think they are so entitled to put a freakin perm in someone elses child's head??!

I'd sue thee CRAP out of her!!! That's a permanent alteration on YOUR child's head that YOU didn't ask for!! I'd probably also punch her in the face.

Idiot.

I'm sorry but this just REALLY made me mad :mad:

Leeda.the.Paladin

OMG at the crazy cousin. I'm glad her hair has recovered somewhat and that you will be home soon. I know it will flourish then. I think it's horrible that your relatives won't step up to the plate and do this simple thing for you.

CuteMeeka

Oh, that bi@tch was just Raunchy...

If she did your babies hair like that, it's no telling how she took care of the rest of her - it's good she's gone. She really showed her true colors and it is good you ended up putting her @ss out anyway. OMG... I couldn't believe the after pics. I was mad!

At least now your daughters hair looks healthy again (and is so shiny)!!

MissYocairis

More pics!

OMG! Your baby has grown up so much!!!!!!! Her hair is coming along nicely and I'm so impressed with your dedication. I really appreciate your service to our country, OP....and the fact that you are doing what you need to do for your baby from overseas is heartwarming! You should be very, very proud. Your daughter's hair looks beautiful and I'm positive that YOUR conscientiousness about her hair is going to rub off on her and she will always remember the right path to take with her hair as she grows. Congratulations to you for being such an awesome Mommy! :yep:

allmundjoi

Your daughter is very pretty OP and so is her hair. Well done. Hopefully as she ages she will take the reigns with her hair and become healthy hair obsessed like the rest of us. :)

Sent from my DROIDX