Low Porosity Support Thread

Going to whole foods today to get some hair stuff. Going to start making my own conditioners and what not...its so expensive to purchase shampoo and conditioner all the time...

I keep hearing AVJ works well, I have olive oil and I might try the banana again (last time I tried it on relaxed hair it worked well). I think I might stick with a store bought shampoo just because it works really well on my hair but as far as DC/Conditioners I will start making my own. Hopefully this venture will turn out to be less expensive than I am currently paying for products.

Let me know how the AVJ works on your hair --- and how you apply it. I tried it on my hair the other night and although it sealed my cuticles--my hair had a sticky / coated feeling. Not sure what I did wrong :ohwell:

Let me know how the AVJ works on your hair --- and how you apply it. I tried it on my hair the other night and although it sealed my cuticles--my hair had a sticky / coated feeling. Not sure what I did wrong :ohwell:

I just rinsed and did my normal styled it. It really felt nice, it did feel a little coated but I think its because I had a LOT of oil in it and sweet almond oil is a sealant... and their wasnt much to cut it since I didn't use coconut milk. I didn't mind the coated feeling (honestly it felt more greasy? not really hard/sticky/gross...) because my hair did feel really moisturized, so we will see how it is in the morning. I will PM you with any updates!

I use aloe Vera gel to smooth my hair and it works well. I am blending with my flax seed gel tomorrow!

I just rinsed and did my normal styled it. It really felt nice, it did feel a little coated but I think its because I had a LOT of oil in it and sweet almond oil is a sealant... and their wasnt much to cut it since I didn't use coconut milk. I didn't mind the coated feeling (honestly it felt more greasy? not really hard/sticky/gross...) because my hair did feel really moisturized, so we will see how it is in the morning. I will PM you with any updates!

Thank you so much!!! :grin:

I think my hair may be low porosity. When I put water on it (spray bottle or using my hands) it takes ages for it to absorb, it'll just sit on top of my head in droplets that I could shake off. when it does get wet it can take just under 2 hours to air dry with 1.5 inches of hair. my hair used to feel really hard when it dried but it now dries soft to the touch after eliminating shampoo and doing a mudwash once a month.
I think I want to introduce shampoo in some form, like extremely diluted because I am so scared of clogging my follicles with buildup.
oh and aloe vera as much as I want to love it makes my hair harder dry harder than even ecostyler gel

[USER=373253 said:
Sholapie[/USER];19824201]I think my hair may be low porosity. When I put water on it (spray bottle or using my hands) it takes ages for it to absorb, it'll just sit on top of my head in droplets that I could shake off. when it does get wet it can take just under 2 hours to air dry with 1.5 inches of hair. my hair used to feel really hard when it dried but it now dries soft to the touch after eliminating shampoo and doing a mudwash once a month.
I think I want to introduce shampoo in some form, like extremely diluted because I am so scared of clogging my follicles with buildup.
oh and aloe vera as much as I want to love it makes my hair harder dry harder than even ecostyler gel

Let me know how the diluted shampoo works. I stopped using shampoo in February and my hair is so much better. I've been using acv once a month. I've been thinking of trying shampoo bars to see if they work better than shampoo.

I keep saying I am going to try aloe vera to see the results but haven't done it yet. Too many other tests going on right now.

Let me know how the diluted shampoo works. I stopped using shampoo in February and my hair is so much better. I've been using acv once a month. I've been thinking of trying shampoo bars to see if they work better than shampoo.

I keep saying I am going to try aloe vera to see the results but haven't done it yet. Too many other tests going on right now.

will do :yep: the shampoo bars left my hair very soft while wet and damp but it still dried quite rough feeling, but I think I was using too much (rubbing the whole bar on my head). Someone on YT turns their shampoo bars into liquid shampoo by soaking the bar in a bit of water until it starts to dissolve and using this soapy water in a applicator bottle to apply to their scalp. might be a good method for someone who shampoos infrequently. not quite sure if it'd be any different from just using a diluted sulphate free shampoo but I have some shampoo bars to use up so I may try :)

I too have had more success with shampoo bars than Shampoo. I may try liquidifying them, but the bar is easy to use for now

The only shampoo my low porosity hair has been able to tolerate is NaturallyAmari's No Poo Shikakai-Soapnut Organic Shampoo. I tried this stuff and have never looked back---this stuff doesn't lather--but get's my hair clean and doesn't leave it dry.

Do any of you seal with oil? I'm having a hard enough time getting moisture even into my hair lol...so oil almost seems counterproductive for low porosity hair...thoughts anyone?

The only shampoo my low porosity hair has been able to tolerate is NaturallyAmari's No Poo Shikakai-Soapnut Organic Shampoo. I tried this stuff and have never looked back---this stuff doesn't lather--but get's my hair clean and doesn't leave it dry.

Do any of you seal with oil? I'm having a hard enough time getting moisture even into my hair lol...so oil almost seems counterproductive for low porosity hair...thoughts anyone?

Jace032000 I don't usually seal with oil because I haven't found it to be helpful for my hair. Usually, I just stop with liquid and cream. On the rare occasion that I do seal with oil, I use Avocado Oil (penetrating oil), Grapeseed Oil or Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade/Sugar Berries Pomade because these are the only things light enough for me to still get moisture to my hair later.

On a related note, today, I made a rookie mistake and tried to use Purabody Capuacu Butter on my hair, even though I know straight butters don't usually work on my hair. I ended up having to put a headband on to cover my edges because my hair was just white with the butter sitting on top of it. Curiosity made me do it since I'm washing my hair tomorrow anyway, but I really shouldn't have. I knew better. This butter will be going back to my sister.

The only shampoo my low porosity hair has been able to tolerate is NaturallyAmari's No Poo Shikakai-Soapnut Organic Shampoo. I tried this stuff and have never looked back---this stuff doesn't lather--but get's my hair clean and doesn't leave it dry. Do any of you seal with oil? I'm having a hard enough time getting moisture even into my hair lol...so oil almost seems counterproductive for low porosity hair...thoughts anyone?

I used a silicone last week for my oil when I did LCO on a twist out and in soft hair for about 6 days. I didn't want to wash but had too. That moisture stayed in my hair better than I ever got an oil to

My hair is finally turning around. Letting go of shampoo for now is really working. So far I have been cleansing with acv or tea, deep conditioning and then using NO balm. I am starting to rollerset which seems to help my ends. And I am doing a mid-week DC. My hair actually felt overmoisturized last wash day ::blush:

So I may use Hairveda's Methi protein and moisturizing set on next wash day.

I've been sealing my ends with conditioner and a pomade. Too soon to know if it works but so far so good.

Today I'm having a good hair day :yep: (sigh of relief).

My hair is finally turning around. Letting go of shampoo for now is really working. So far I have been cleansing with acv or tea, deep conditioning and then using NO balm. I am starting to rollerset which seems to help my ends. And I am doing a mid-week DC. My hair actually felt overmoisturized last wash day ::blush:

I've been sealing my ends with conditioner and a pomade. Too soon to know if it works but so far so good.

faithVA

:yay:

:band:

:dance7: YAY!!!!!! What are you DC'ing with?

:dance7: What are you DC'ing with?

I don't have a staple conditioner right now. I'm just going through my stash.

This wash day I used Claudies Normalizing DC.

I am rotating between ShescentIt Banana Brulee, Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner and Hairveda Methi

One if my issues has been getting water into my hair. I am really excited because my hair is still damp and soft and I washed it an hour ago.

I did a deep condition overnight. To do so, I first spritzed my hair with a light mist of water, glycerin and essential oil. Then I slathered on hairveda sitrinillah deep conditioner, put on a plastic cap, covered it with a terry turban and went to bed.

In the morning, I turned on the shower and let the steam from the hot water fog up my mirrors. When I got in, I wet my hair a little and then detangled while allowing the steam to really get in. Then I washed out the hairveda and put in as I am cowash. I left that in while I showered with really warm water. Then I rinsed it out with warm water instead of cold. Next, I wrapped my hair in a t-shirt for about 5-10 mins to stop the dripping water. Finally, I put in Oyin Hair Dew.

I named the products, but I really think its the amount of hot water I used that did it. I used to do a cold water rinse until I read this thread, and it always left my hair hard.

Hopefully, my hair stays moisturizer after it finally dries!

I wonder if my hair has gotten lower in porosity since I wrote this. This was 2 months after my BC. I've been trying Hairveda Sitrinillah again and now it just sits on my hair. I'm going to try a few more ways of using it before I give up.

My sister asked me how do I not cowash. I asked her how does she? We are both LP and it was a weird conversation for both of us. She was surprised that I have to wash my hair weekly. I might cowash tomorrow night though. Only because the cold killed my flat ironed hair

Thanks for this! I've been thinking about starting a low porosity support thread, but I've never started a support thread before.

Share your hair background:
Last relaxer 3 years ago. When I did relax, it never took. Not sure what else to say here.

What symptoms is your hair exhibiting?
Dry, dry, dry. Product sits on it & does not absorb.

What have you tried that worked?
Heat helps, but I still don't have a good handle on it.
I try to baggy, but I'm prone to sinus headaches if I do it too long.
More liquidy products work better than thick.
I like Giovanni 50:50 & GVP Balm.

What have you tried that did not work?
Protein is not for me. Builds up easily.
Silicones. Keep moisture from getting in.
Roux porosity control. This is for high porosity.
Butters. Too heavy.

What questions do you have?
I just have reservations about using baking soda. How do you know it's not really damaging especially in the long term?
Is a steamer worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF
I know what you are going through been there done that....this is an article on Porosity to increase your knowledge.

http://www.moorket.com/bb/2014/03/low-vs-high-porous-hair/

So, I've been avoiding oils like the plague because I thought my hair hated them but then I was watching these Indian hair videos on YouTube and they just go on and on about hair oiling so I thought why not give it another go.

So I heated up about 4 tbs of olive oil and gave myself a nice scalp massage and oil, put a bonnet on for a couple of hours, shampooed it out using my rhassoul shampoo bar, co-washed then I did something I thought would leave my hair a hot greasy mess but I felt like experimenting. I used olive oil as a leave in, difference this time is I used half a tablespoon. much less than I would usually use.

So my hair felt ok while damp, nothing to write home about but when it was completely dry oh em gee, since my BC i've never had my hair feel so soft when fully dry. I made the dh (he crazy hates oil and grease on his hands) and he agreed it felt soft and was not oily. Only downside is I don't get a lot of definition like when I use conditioner as a leave in or gel but I'm kinda over definition :drunk: My hair did not react like this to coconut, almond, avocado, castor....I don't think i've tried olive, avocado would be my number 2 but it doesn't leave my hair this soft :spinning:

So, I've been avoiding oils like the plague because I thought my hair hated them but then I was watching these Indian hair videos on YouTube and they just go on and on about hair oiling so I thought why not give it another go.

So I heated up about 4 tbs of olive oil and gave myself a nice scalp massage and oil, put a bonnet on for a couple of hours, shampooed it out using my rhassoul shampoo bar, co-washed then I did something I thought would leave my hair a hot greasy mess but I felt like experimenting. I used olive oil as a leave in, difference this time is I used half a tablespoon. much less than I would usually use.

So my hair felt ok while damp, nothing to write home about but when it was completely dry oh em gee, since my BC i've never had my hair feel so soft when fully dry. I made the dh (he crazy hates oil and grease on his hands) and he agreed it felt soft and was not oily. Only downside is I don't get a lot of definition like when I use conditioner as a leave in or gel but I'm kinda over definition :drunk: My hair did not react like this to coconut, almond, avocado, castor....I don't think i've tried olive, avocado would be my number 2 but it doesn't leave my hair this soft :spinning:

I've always tried to avoid oils too because we're low porosity which means we need to figure out how to get moisture into our hair. Last week, I did a rosemary oil rinse after shampooing and DC'ing and my hair felt A-M-A-Z-I-N-G My hair only reacts this way with rosemary oil….strange.

uofmpanther, I was sleeping on chelating for the longest. I always clarified though but never chelated. I have a water filter on my shower head and always thought that was enough - not! I now clarify & chelate and my hair is thankful for it -- behaves much, much better. Chelating changed the game for me!

My low porosity hair loves oils. The catch is finding the right oils that work for your hair. Glad things are coming together for you Sholapie Jace032000

Back