Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2024

What problem are you looking to resolve so you CAN have Luscious, Healthy Ends in 2024?

• Total voters

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I went 2 weeks between washes instead of my usual 1. I know I should expect twice as much shed hair, but I think maybe the extra tangling also causes more hair loss.
When I wash my hair every 3-4 days I hardly lose any hair, but I don’t have the time/energy to wash that often unless I go back to bunning.
I’m sorry to hear about the ‘additional tangles”. You have brought up a hidden but very critical point. That point is how to balance your hair care processes with your life in terms of time and effort. Not only is it hidden, it will be different for everyone. And only you can find what works for you. And, and, as your life changes and as your hair changes, you must continue to re-find that balance. It’s a constant equilibrium adjustment. It’s never one and done!

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
My ends have been feeling a little bit dry lately. It's time to put the braids back in. LORD, give me strength and speed :pray::laugh::abducted:
Okay so I got a silk press instead and I finally got my ends trimmed. They did good work, but I won't be going back. I think our time is done. I don't know how they (the ends)look, cause they are bumped under. The way mama used to do when she said "I'm just gonna bump the ends a little bit baby" :lachen:

Chicoro

Okay so I got a silk press instead and I finally got my ends trimmed. They did good work, but I won't be going back. I think our time is done. I don't know how they (the ends)look, cause they are bumped under. The way mama used to do when she said "I'm just gonna bump the ends a little bit baby" :lachen:
1713210379415.png

Why are you not going back? Did the person cut too much? Please let us know how your hair looks when the bumped curls fall out.

Chicoro

@Chicoro No, actually they did an amazing job smoothing my 9+months of newgrowth. It's just God put a very in my face sign that I shouldn't go back there. I would have saw it before I sat down, but I didn't have my glasses on.

WHAT did you SEE!?!!!??? Tell us about the 'sign', please.

newgrowth15

I posted same day, but different photos in the Grow it Long 2024 thread.

I think my hair is back to its length I had in 2022. I am starting to suspect that Olaplex may have broken off my hair. I ditched all Olaplex products in Jan 2023.

I use the fenugreek/rosemary/clove oil several times a week. I love to apply it at night and put a bag on my head. The cloves smell so pretty. Thanks @newgrowth15 again for all the inspiration and instructions. I transfer my oil to a dropper bottle. It keeps me from being too heavy handed with the oil and I add just enough so it is not pouring down my face and neck.

My hair feels soft and it is not as wiry as it usually is. My ends are fuller, too. I keep my ends coated with castor oil and Shea butter. I baggie the braids at night. I may re-start baggy -ing my braids during the day, too.

In the phot, my braids hang longer because I changed up the stats a little bit for the re-braid.

Stats of these braids:

• Did not saturate section/bantu knot of hair section with water before braiding.
  • Did not put SCURL on the hair.
  • Did not braid hair tightly down the length.

View attachment 495563
@Chicoro, your hair is absolutely gorgeous. You were one of my first hairspirations when I joined LHFC in 2008 and you still are. Thank you for your consistency.

Chicoro

@Chicoro, your hair is absolutely gorgeous. You were one of my first hairspirations when I joined LHFC in 2008 and you still are. Thank you for your consistency.
I’m going to thank you for these lovely compliments! I appreciate you using the word ‘consistency’ because it helps me look at things from a different, yet more positive perspective.

I am disappointed that I have had so many setbacks with my hair, and have not been able to grow or maintain long lengths beyond my lower back. I appreciate what I have. I just assumed with my knowledge that I’d have ‘less limitations’. But as I mentioned to @GettingKinky after she brouht it to my attention, there is a constant 'hair homeostasis' that we must continually and continuously balance as it relates to our hair. Meaning hair is organic and ever changing. Our lives are ever changing, our schedules and the products and even the type of water to which we may have access are ever changing, too. To add even more complexity to it all, the percentage of time and effort that we dedicate to every and to all aspects of our lives, including our hair, shifts and ebbs and flows constantly.

I’ve personally been in the roaring rapids , as opposed to a gently flowing river, for many years. The fact that I’m learning to give myself grace may be a big part as to why I am having so many AHA’s and coming across ‘old’ but new to me products and processes that have turned my hair around dramatically, which are tremendous blessings for me and my hair!

But, I could have given up long ago and just quit. But I didn’t quit. I persevered, was ‘consistent’ as you have said, which counts a lot. So, what you said @newgrowth15 helps me to feel good.

I have to reiterate, no matter how painfully disappointing it was and is, those setbacks have deepened and broadened my knowledge so much. I would say I know about 10x’s more about hair in 2024, than I did in 2008, even though my hair may have been longer and fuller from my hair care practices in 2008, comparatively.

I have a question for you!!!!!

I was JUST thinking hard about you. That is because my hair seems to be somewhat softer, maybe.??? I wanted to know if you experienced a similiar softening effect of your own hair after you started to employ the fenugreek/rosemary/clove infused oil? Did you find or do you find that the mixture softens your hair, too?

I want to say that my hair seems to be more relaxed. I don’t mean in the chemical process sense. I mean in the personification sense in that it is just ‘laying’ on my back and shoulders just ‘chillin’. My hair doesn’t seem as rigid or as wiry as before, or something.

From the pictures, it looks kinda different to me, in a good way, too. I am attributing that difference to employing your Sprouted 3 Herbal Oil mix that you so generousshared with us.

Last edited:

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
The curls fell, but I think this is before the shrinkage kicks in lol I think my ends look a little bit better than last time. I don't know if I'm gonna use a heat pass when I do my relaxer in August, but depending on how hot it gets I might do it early.

Edit: I was trying to post a picture, but somehow I can't resize my picture.

Chicoro

@Chicoro I found it, but I don't want to derail the thread more than I already have lol. Do you want me to inbox it to you?
By the way, I don't think your answer will derail the thread at all, no matter what your answer might be. Somehow, when we may seem to get off on tangents, these discussions always bring us full circle to the conversation or discussion topic of the thread. We return to the topic at hand with a broader and deeper understanding of the topic or something just as pertinent and salient as the thread topic.

NOTHING comes up in this particular thread here, BY ACCIDENT. And NOTHING is a derailment. I respect you and anyone else's preference to discuss things in here as they come up, or to choose to not discuss it here.

Everyone is encouraged, welcomed and invited to bring their WHOLE SELVES, to this thread! However that may look like for each person.

newgrowth15

I’m going to thank you for these lovely compliments! I appreciate you using the word ‘consistency’ because it helps me look at things from a different, yet more positive perspective.

I am disappointed that I have had so many setbacks with my hair, and have not been able to grow or maintain long lengths beyond my lower back. I appreciate what I have. I just assumed with my knowledge that I’d have ‘less limitations’. But as I mentioned to @GettingKinky after she brouht it to my attention, there is a constant 'hair homeostasis' that we must continually and continuously balance as it relates to our hair. Meaning hair is organic and ever changing. Our lives are ever changing, our schedules and the products and even the type of water to which we may have access are ever changing, too. To add even more complexity to it all, the percentage of time and effort that we dedicate to every and to all aspects of our lives, including our hair, shifts and ebbs and flows constantly.

I’ve personally been in the roaring rapids , as opposed to a gently flowing river, for many years. The fact that I’m learning to give myself grace may be a big part as to why I am having so many AHA’s and coming across ‘old’ but new to me products and processes that have turned my hair around dramatically, which are tremendous blessings for me and my hair!

But, I could have given up long ago and just quit. But I didn’t quit. I persevered, was ‘consistent’ as you have said, which counts a lot. So, what you said @newgrowth15 helps me to feel good.

I have to reiterate, no matter how painfully disappointing it was and is, those setbacks have deepened and broadened my knowledge so much. I would say I know about 10x’s more about hair in 2024, than I did in 2008, even though my hair may have been longer and fuller from my hair care practices in 2008, comparatively.

I have a question for you!!!!!

I was JUST thinking hard about you. That is because my hair seems to be somewhat softer, maybe.??? I wanted to know if you experienced a similiar softening effect of your own hair after you started to employ the fenugreek/rosemary/clove infused oil? Did you find or do you find that the mixture softens your hair, too?

I want to say that my hair seems to be more relaxed. I don’t mean in the chemical process sense. I mean in the personification sense in that it is just ‘laying’ on my back and shoulders just ‘chillin’. My hair doesn’t seem as rigid or as wiry as before, or something.

From the pictures, it looks kinda different to me, in a good way, too. I am attributing that difference to employing your Sprouted 3 Herbal Oil mix that you so generousshared with us.
@Chicoro, my hair is much softer, but also stronger. I don't suffer with breakage like I used to and my shed hairs are minimal. I have been using this oil for a year, since my big chop. Because of your encouragement of us to pay closer attention to our hair and its needs, I noticed that my grays are not wiry and stiff like they used to be.

My mother always used to say give people their flowers while they can smell them. These are for you in appreciation for all of your contributions of multiple posts and keen insights throughout the years.:flowers:

Chicoro

@Chicoro, my hair is much softer, but also stronger. I don't suffer with breakage like I used to and my shed hairs are minimal. I have been using this oil for a year, since my big chop. Because of your encouragement of us to pay closer attention to our hair and its needs, I noticed that my grays are not wiry and stiff like they used to be.

My mother always used to say give people their flowers while they can smell them. These are for you in appreciation for all of your contributions of multiple posts and keen insights throughout the years.:flowers:
Thank you so much so much for my flowers!!! They smell so good!

Chicoro

Softer and stronger?!!! That's great to know.

So I'm NOT imagining things because you, too, have experienced that the oil can soften your hair. This fenugreek/rosemary/clove oil is like a fabric softener for the hair strands it seems.

I seem to have overlooked or forgotten that the fenugreek oil also strengthens the hair. Breakage is another one of the banes of my hair journey. I haven't noticed any strengthening or less shed hairs. Honestly, I haven't been looking. I plan to wash my hair this weekend. I will check to see if my shed hair count is high, low or normal.

Thank you for the response and the lovely compliments. I appreciate it all!

Tealhope

Softer and stronger?!!! That's great to know.

So I'm NOT imagining things because you, too, have experienced that the oil can soften your hair. This fenugreek/rosemary/clove oil is like a fabric softener for the hair strands it seems.

I seem to have overlooked or forgotten that the fenugreek oil also strengthens the hair. Breakage is another one of the banes of my hair journey. I haven't noticed any strengthening or less shed hairs. Honestly, I haven't been looking. I plan to wash my hair this weekend. I will check to see if my shed hair count is high, low or normal.

Thank you for the response and the lovely compliments. I appreciate it all!
I started using rosemary oil last year on my scalp for bad dandruff and I haven’t looked back! It paired with Nizoral/ Head and Shoulders really cut down on the scalp irritation and itchiness between washes and allowed my hair to thicken up even more (I guess bc of its anti microbial properties). I keep hearing about clove oil, I’ll definitely have to check it out!

Chicoro

I started using rosemary oil last year on my scalp for bad dandruff and I haven’t looked back! It paired with Nizoral/ Head and Shoulders really cut down on the scalp irritation and itchiness between washes and allowed my hair to thicken up even more (I guess bc of its anti microbial properties). I keep hearing about clove oil, I’ll definitely have to check it out!

Hey :wave: @Tealhope

Congratulations on finding products and processes to solve your hair challenges! That's always satisfying. And, thick hair is glorious to behold and to have. Do you make your own rosemary oil or do you purchase it? If you make it, please share your recipe and process. I think my mom uses that same shampoo if I am not mistaken. There is lots of knowledge here on the site about clove oil. I like to interact with @newgrowth15 when it comes to cloves, fenugreek and rosemary oil because she is present and is very responsive. She also was generous enough to give us her tried and true recipe and process as her results with these ingredients have been spectacular. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Lastly, I hope you are aware of the fact that once you come in and post in one of these challenges ...you can NEVER leave or escape from me us. These challenges are like quicksand.

Chicoro

I have dithered too long. Here are my four MUSTS for my hair ends. I am writing this for me, of course. The theme is protection in every step.

• Baggie Hair All Day: For me to have supple, moist, tangle -free ends, I have to protect and baggie my ends during the day, all day. Protect the ends from drying out, rubbing and tangling.

• Keep Ends Coated: I also have to keep my ends coated with water, oil and butter. Protect the ends from drying out and keeping some moisture within the hair strand.

• Re-Coat and Bun at Night: I have to wrap up my ends into a ball at the top of my head, re-wet them with water, re coat them with oil and butter and put a baggie over them at night. Ensuring there is moisture and protection for the ends during my night.

• Cover Head at Night: I have to cover my entire head at night. Ensuring that my hair is protected at the roots, hairline, nape and crown.

I cannot go and stay in the sun without consequences of a relapse of melasma, resulting in dark circles and ink black marks under my eyes.. I can't wear my hair out or even my braids loosened without a consequence of hair breakage. I don't have to like it and I can want something different. But it is as it is. It is what it is. If I do X, I reap the benefits. If do Y, I suffer the consequences.

The impetus for this is comparing. I see folks who don't have to do any protective styling. And I have questioned myself and practices and ask if I am doing too much. I am not.

Yes, my hair looks better to me with loosened braids. But I love it when my hair is super long, thick and healthy hair when it is heat straightened. For me to have that with my hair, I have to do the above steps for my hair ends. It is crystal clear the this morning.

Last edited:

GettingKinky

I had a horrible dream last night that I went to a new stylist for a trim and she hacked off so much hair.
In my dream I knew I was going to have to keep seeing this stylist and I was desperately trying to explain that she was cutting off all my growth and that my hair would never get longer if she kept cutting off this much.

Chicoro

I had a horrible dream last night that I went to a new stylist for a trim and she hacked off so much hair.
In my dream I knew I was going to have to keep seeing this stylist and I was desperately trying to explain that she was cutting off all my growth and that my hair would never get longer if she kept cutting off this much.
That's not a fun dream. But I believe in paying attention when you have situations where you have strong feelings arise, especially from dreams. So, what actions are you going to take or not take because of this? Are you considering a new stylist?

newgrowth15

@GettingKinky, perhaps this dream is encouraging you to clearly explain to your stylist exactly what you want before you sit in the chair for your next haircut.

I have read and heard so many stories of people getting way more hair cut off than they wanted, but those same people never said anything while the service was being performed. Stylists are not mind readers -- we must tell them what we want done to our hair.