Megatek Challenge 2011-2012

GIJane

I would love to try this but my hair and MT just dont agree. When I tried it I mixed it with castor oil and applied it directly to the scalp. It gave me migranes and my hair was shedding at an alarming rate. I didn't notice any length from it. But I know a lot of people did. Although, I might try it as a deep conditioner. I hate to waste my money.

nzeee

blueberryd if Eqyss is to be believed (and why not?) the formula itself has not changed... they just made a 'correction' to the ingredients. but the old and new formulas are supposed to be the same. i read that on here and on bhm. sorry i have no source link to post...

if you're bent on getting the old product tho spring for the gallon size. otherwise it will be harder to find the old one...

don't ask how i know this stuff. i lurk A LOT tho i've never really used it. i'm curious to start tho. if i start i'll join the challenge. just want to get some garlic pills first (jut in case).

good luck everybody!!

irsgirl

I want to join. I used Megatek two years ago for a the left side of my hair. It worked wonders for thickness and growth. I still have the old formula :grin:.

JustGROWwithIt

Hi ladies,

I am usually just a "lookie loo" in here, but I like this challenge and want to join.

I used MT about two years ago, but got negative results (entirely user error). The product is good and I want to get the best results. So this time around, I will just use it to shampoo and condition every week.

I'll add my before and after pics too.

Excited to see yall results :look:

Thanks for joining! Hopefully you have better results this time around. For us new to using MT can you tell us what the "user error" was? Just to make sure we don't make the same mistakes.

JustGROWwithIt

I would love to try this but my hair and MT just dont agree. When I tried it I mixed it with castor oil and applied it directly to the scalp. It gave me migranes and my hair was shedding at an alarming rate. I didn't notice any length from it. But I know a lot of people did. Although, I might try it as a deep conditioner. I hate to waste my money.

Yes, I've heard that some people did experience headaches and/or excessive shedding. I've been using it for about 3 weeks now and haven't noticed that fortunately. I started taking garlic pills to combat the shedding a couple weeks before I started using MT so maybe that's helping. Hopefully you get better results using it as a DC. Thanks for your experience, GIJane! So are you joining the challenge?

JustGROWwithIt

@blueberryd if Eqyss is to be believed (and why not?) the formula itself has not changed... they just made a 'correction' to the ingredients. but the old and new formulas are supposed to be the same. i read that on here and on bhm. sorry i have no source link to post...

if you're bent on getting the old product tho spring for the gallon size. otherwise it will be harder to find the old one...

don't ask how i know this stuff. i lurk A LOT tho i've never really used it. i'm curious to start tho. if i start i'll join the challenge. just want to get some garlic pills first (jut in case).

good luck everybody!!

I bought some garlic pills first too just in case! I was not trying to lose any hair! I used them for a couple of weeks before I started using MT hoping that it would be in my system well enough by then. So far I haven't had any problems with shedding at all. Let us know if you decide to join us. We'd love to have you on board!

JustGROWwithIt

Today I sectioned my hair in quarters and dampened each section with water, then applied Organix Coconut conditioner and detangled, then applied warm EVOO. Placed a baggy on my head and sat with my thermal heat cap on for about 40 mins. Then I took the heat cap off and tied a scarf around the baggy and then placed a winter hat over it and slept for about 1 1/2 hrs. My hair felt really nice after. After shampooing I applied Megatek to only the bottom half of my hair focusing on my ends for 7 mins under a shower cap and then applied Beemine bee-u-ti-ful deep conditioner focusing heavily on my ends and am now sitting under my steamer typing this. We'll see how much my hair appreciates this TLC when this is rinsed out! I know I said I would only be applying MT to my hair as a DC once a month but so many women in here use it more often and have experienced great results so I decided to up that to weekly. We'll see how this turns out today though. I pre-pooped for extra moisture since MT has such high protein content. And I'm thinking of adding a mid-week cowash to my reggie if I feel my hair needs it, I'll update ya'll on that if there's a change. Well, time to go rinse!

GIJane

Yes, I've heard that some people did experience headaches and/or excessive shedding. I've been using it for about 3 weeks now and haven't noticed that fortunately. I started taking garlic pills to combat the shedding a couple weeks before I started using MT so maybe that's helping. Hopefully you get better results using it as a DC. Thanks for your experience, @GIJane! So are you joining the challenge?

JustGROWwithIt Unfortunately, I will not be joining. I was taking garlic pills as well but it did nothing for me. But, thanks for the invite. I will be lurking because Megatek does work for a lot of people. So I will be looking forward to the growth pictures. Good luck to all the challengers. :yep:

dancinstallion

I have new growth already. I redid my twists on the 10th and I started using my mix around the 13th so this is two weeks. It is easier for me to see the growth because I am in twists. My hair wasn't growing as fast for the month I wasn't using my mix.

Have you ladies been consistent with applying it for?
I will do a length check at the end of year when I take my twists down and give myself a touch up.

SoopremeBeing

I'd like to join if it's not too late!

I've been using MegaTek for about, I say, 3 months now. I mix mine with Doo Gro Stimulating Growth Oil every other day. I've heard the vast amount of protein in MegaTek can lead to dryness so I use mine every other day.

Typically, I keep my hair hidden under braids and weaves and I let it breathe 1 to 2 weeks before having it re-braided or re-weaved. I always wash and DC with the KMS Flat Out line. I was told by my ex-boyfriend's mother to buy Wen, but I am afraid to, honestly. My mom used Wen too. I have been slacking lately, but I am getting my hair re-done this week, so I will start up my regime again.

My current natural length is around the middle of my neck(last August, it was above my ears, I cut it Rihanna-short), but my ultimate goal is BSL. That is the length of the weave I have in now.

JustGROWwithIt

I have new growth already. I redid my twists on the 10th and I started using my mix around the 13th so this is two weeks. It is easier for me to see the growth because I am in twists. My hair wasn't growing as fast for the month I wasn't using my mix.

Have you ladies been consistent with applying it for?
I will do a length check at the end of year when I take my twists down and give myself a touch up.

dancinstallion, Really? How much growth have you noticed?
I am wearing my hair in twists too but I take them down weekly. This past weekend I stretched my hair to do a length check and I SWEAR it was about 1/2'' longer! I know that's not much but it was only 2 weeks since I checked my length last and my hair typically grows 1/2" a month! I don't know if it was just a poor length check last time or what though since 1/2" isn't a super noticeable change. It'd be easier to tell if I was relaxed...But I'm really hoping it has grown. I've been diligent with applying MT. I changed me reggie with it this week. I mixed some of my Beemine Sulfur serum with the MT and water mix and am applying that to my scalp daily starting last Saturday. I am also adding a weekly DC with MT on the bottom half of my hair to help strengthen my ends and aid in retention. I will still do monthly DC's with MT on my entire head as well. I won't do another length check 'til Jan 1st so I can really tell if there has been a growth surge.

Last edited:

JustGROWwithIt

SoopremeBeing
Of course it's not too late! Glad to have you.
I used Wen a couple of years ago and frankly I was not impressed. Yes, it was nice. Yes, it smelled good. But for the price and size of the bottle and how much you need to use it's not worth it. It didn't do anything super spectacular to my hair for me to continue using it. I used it for a couple of months and saw no significant change in my hair. This is just my personal experience. I'm sure it's worked great for others.

A856

Count me in.....

HOW I PLAN TO USE IT mixed in an applicator bottle with castor oil and MN. Apply directly on the scalp.

REGIMEN apply nightly to scalp then braid up hair or bun for the day. Applying every night and co-washing every other day.

CURRENT LENGTH & GOAL I'm currently mid-back length. But I'm also transitioning without the BC. I'm currently 42wks post.

I technically started on Saturday 11/26 after I washed my hair. I applied some this morning as well and plan to co-wash and reapply more this evening before I braid my hair up.

I'm also taking hairfinity pills daily, and when I can remember on the weekend:spinning:

newnyer

Got my bee mine serum today in the mail! I mixed it with my previous applicator bottle which was almost empty, but consisted of MT, hot six oil, and about 1/2 tsp of sublimed sulfur. Added a little more MT for good measure. Lol. Let's see how it works!

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using myTouch_4G_Slide

JustGROWwithIt

Got my bee mine serum today in the mail! I mixed it with my previous applicator bottle which was almost empty, but consisted of MT, hot six oil, and about 1/2 tsp of sublimed sulfur. Added a little more MT for good measure. Lol. Let's see how it works!

newnyer
I've read alot of posts about hot six oil. What is it exactly? And sublimed sulfur?

Aquarius1

@dancinstallion Yeah, gurl. I be lurkin' long time! I'm so close to my goal and must get serious now!

Last edited:

newnyer

JustGROWwithIt Hot Six Oil is made by African Royale & is just an easy & accessible route to get a decent oil mix. It's also not bad on the pockets either & can usually be found in any BSS or ethnic hair aisle. The 1st ingrediants listed are : olive, canola, wheat germ, sweet almond, safflower, castor, and sesame oils.

Sublimed sulfur, or "flowers of sulfur", is just sulfur in its powder form. I'm sure there's a more scientific and educated way of describing it so please chime in ladies if you feel the need. Lol. Bought it online but I've heard they sell it behind the counter @ pharmacies if you ask. A lot of ladies on here use it in various mixtures as a growth aid. It IS a chemical though, & can cause irritation if not used properly, but there are SO many threads on here that would help you research better. Wish I could post links from my phone to direct you....HTH a bit & made a lil sense. I'm half sleep LOL.

dollface0023

I've been using my MegaTek mixed with Bee Mine and Ovation (Which is weird because I just learned that these 2 are practically the same thing)

I want to use it everyday, but I'm definitely going to wash my hair once a week if I do...Plus, the itching is getting ridiculous.

dancinstallion

I use way more than half of teaspoon of sulfur. I use about two tablespoons in my mix. I thought I wasn't using enough so that is why I upped the amount.

I bought mine from cvs pharmacy for about 4 dollars. They had to order it but it came in like two days at the most.

newnyer

I use way more than half of teaspoon of sulfur. I use about two tablespoons in my mix. I thought I wasn't using enough so that is why I upped the amount.

I bought mine from cvs pharmacy for about 4 dollars. They had to order it but it came in like two days at the most.

How big is your mix container/bottle? I thought the norm ratio was about 1 tsp of sulphur to every 8 oz mixture. (maybe a little less...have to go back and look.) I have a smaller applicator bottle that's why I only use a little, plus the bee mine has sulfur in it too so I didn't want to overdo it. Have you noticed a difference since the increase?

dancinstallion

How big is your mix container/bottle? I thought the norm ratio was about 1 tsp of sulphur to every 8 oz mixture. (maybe a little less...have to go back and look.) I have a smaller applicator bottle that's why I only use a little, plus the bee mine has sulfur in it too so I didn't want to overdo it. Have you noticed a difference since the increase?

My bottle is only about 8 oz. I used to mix it in 4 oz jars with dr wonder grease and I would put about 1 tblsp. I just didn't think 1 tsp was enough.

I am getting good growth and no extra shedding(I shed a lot sometimes so nothing extra)

Last edited:

JustGROWwithIt

newnyer, thanks for the info. That definately helped explain things for me. I mix Beemine sulfur serum with MT and apply that to my scalp nightly, but I was thinking of taking sulfur capsules as well. Does anyone have experience doing this?

tajaun

Ok here is the full version of my regimen....
Starting Length: Barely shoulder length. Its cut in layers.
Projected/Goal Length for December 2012: hopefully full strong healthy APL or BSL
Regimen: Cowash once a week with moisturizing conditioner, DC once a week, Henna every 4 weeks, after each wash moisturize and seal with castor oil. spray diluted moisturizer on daily in mornings and apply megatek with sulfur and oils at night, wear protective styles,
KEEP MY HANDS AND SCISSORS OUT OF MY HEAD
Starting Pic (optional):

Attachments

• Photo0718.jpg
    Photo0718.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 38

SunKissedBrown

Thanks for joining! Hopefully you have better results this time around. For us new to using MT can you tell us what the "user error" was? Just to make sure we don't make the same mistakes.

Thanks! I'm sure I'll have better results this time.

My mistake was that I used to mix the conditioner/rebuilder with oils and apply it to my scalp a few times a week. Eventually my scalp got irritated, my hair broke off in patches and was thoroughly damaged.

My advice to new users is: use MegaTek according to the manufacturer's suggestion, as it is a fairly strong product. I certainly plan on taking my own advice :)

All The Best...

A856

Does anyone have an issue with clogging of the applicator bottle?? I do, just about everytime I use it.

Not sure if the hole isn't large enough or my mixture is too thick. I wanna say maybe a mixture of both, I've been running the bottle under hot water to loosen the mixture up to go thru the hole easier, sometimes it works, sometimes no. Maybe I'll try to open up the hole and thin out the mixture....