*NEW* SELF RELAXER SUPPORT: WHAT WORKS, WHAT DOESN’T

Queenmickie

Always thinking about my next hairstyle.
Relaxed today! Before and after pix y'all. I was twelve weeks post and afraid I would over process, but I actually could have worked in the relaxer a little more. Overall I am happy with my results! A big thank you to all of you ladies who shared your techniques and knowledge. I could not have done it without you!:party:

Attachments

• Nove_NG.jpg
    Nove_NG.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Nov_selfrelax.jpg
    Nov_selfrelax.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

blackberry815

I'm thinking of rejoining the self-relaxed world... I know... Schizophrenia... but this time I would want to try sunnieb's method with the twisties... sunnieb I called you out already in another thread but After you put the relaxer in the twisties do you then un ravel the twist to make sure you get everything? I'm just thinking those twists might be a bit big to get through all the newgrowth without untwisting them. any thoughts?

sunnieb

blackberry815 - I don't have to unravel them. I make the sections small enough so the relaxer gets worked in throughout during the smoothing process.

The twists become unraveled when I rinse out the relaxer.

Sent from my Comet

blackberry815

blackberry815 - I don't have to unravel them. I make the sections small enough so the relaxer gets worked in throughout during the smoothing process.

The twists become unraveled when I rinse out the relaxer.

Sent from my Comet

sunnieb sounds like ill need alot of twists...How do your twists stay twisted through the entire process? Do you smooth with ur hands only?

sunnieb

sunnieb sounds like ill need alot of twists...How do your twists stay twisted through the entire process? Do you smooth with ur hands only?

Yes, you will need alot of twists! It takes me right at an hour to get mine done.

They stay twisted because my hair is coarse and just "stays" together, plus I slather my ends with vaseline so that helps.

I use my glove-covered hands only to smooth. I'm too clumsy to use a sprush.

Sent from my Comet

blackberry815

Oh ok because from looking at your fotki the twists looked kinda large for the relaxer to get in there and straighten everything. I imagine that they'd need to be smaller parts. Or am i getting something wrong?

sunnieb

kupenda

Just self relaxed a little while go. And I'm happy to say that I know what my hair likes after a relaxer. I neutralized with ORS creamy aloe and followed with Elasta QP shampoo for relaxed hair. My hair felt really nice and was shiny as it air dried. So I think it's safe to say that using a moisturizing shampoo after fully neutralizing really makes my hair soft an happy

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF :)

sunnieb

Oh ok because from looking at your fotki the twists looked kinda large for the relaxer to get in there and straighten everything. I imagine that they'd need to be smaller parts. Or am i getting something wrong?

@sunnieb

blackberry815 - I had to go look at my pics again to refresh my memory!

It doesn't really look like it, but there are a lot of twists on my big 'ol head! :lol: The newgrowth is so thick and that takes up room and spreads out over my parts.

I'm relaxing again on Jan 6. I'll count how many twists I put in and let you know.

sunnieb

kupenda - I use a moisturizing shampoo after neutralizing too! :)

Congrats on a successful self-relaxer! Now um....where da pitchas at? :look:

blackberry815

blackberry815 - I had to go look at my pics again to refresh my memory!

It doesn't really look like it, but there are a lot of twists on my big 'ol head! :lol: The newgrowth is so thick and that takes up room and spreads out over my parts.

I'm relaxing again on Jan 6. I'll count how many twists I put in and let you know.

sunnieb Thanks! Lol I figured maybe it just looks like they're parted big because of the newgrowth.. this is worth trying next time around..I may like this method better then the half and half method... I think the clips caused a little damage to my middle part. Also its a pain doing it twice.

sunnieb

blackberry815 - I just relaxed yesterday. I was 15 weeks post and ended up putting in 28 pre-sectioned twists. Worked out perfectly! I was able to apply the relaxer quickly and had plenty of time for smoothing. My hair is bone skrait! :yep:

Mische

sunnieb thanks for posting pictures. I have a potentially silly question though... how long does it take to untwist those to rinse out the relaxer? I'm always looking for new methods to cut down on application time, but I'm not quite sure how twists would work for me.

sunnieb

Mische - I never have to un-twist them. When I'm rinsing out the relaxer, they come undone under the running water. By the time I move on to the mid-relaxer protein step, my hair is totally loose and twist-free.

blackberry815

@blackberry815 - I just relaxed yesterday. I was 15 weeks post and ended up putting in 28 pre-sectioned twists. Worked out perfectly! I was able to apply the relaxer quickly and had plenty of time for smoothing. My hair is bone skrait! :yep:

sunnieb Thanks for posting this and for tagging me! I was just thinking about this.. I'm still a little nervous to go at self relaxing again! lol

Subscribing even though I have never self-relaxed. I just know I hate my stylist and despair of finding one who will be as nitpicky as I am...

sunnieb

Nix08 - a member here mentioned this in a thread a few years back. I wish I could remember her name.

This tip is so simple and it works like a charm!

Sent from my Comet

blackberry815

Nix08 - a member here mentioned this in a thread a few years back. I wish I could remember her name.

This tip is so simple and it works like a charm!

Sent from my Comet

sunnieb her name is sqzbly1908 she actually posted it in the beginning of this thread

Eta.. woops my bad i thought u were talking about the twisty method of self relaxing... I remembered her (sqzbly1908)posting about relaxing with preparting with twisties...

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Picked up my cape to protect my body from the relaxer going forward....wish I had done this sooner:ohwell:

NaiyaAi

Hi, I'm new on LHCF and I subscribed mainly to post here because I have a question.

I recently tried self-relaxing for the first time, partly because I am a college student going to school in a different state and I've been getting my relaxers done by the same person since I first got one and I don't trust anyone else with my hair, and partly because even if I did trust anyone else, I can't afford to get them done in a salon.

I've tried self-relaxing twice now, and both times my hair has come out seriously underprocessed. The first time, I thought it was because I may have added too much conditioner to the relaxer, so the second time, I tried it without the conditioner with the same results. It's not even that I'm coming out sort of texlaxed, my hair just basically looks like I never attempted to relax it at all. The directions that came with the relaxer (ORS No-Lye normal strength) said total processing time should take 18 minutes MAX. I left the relaxer on for somewhere between 25 and 30, so I'm really confused as to why my hair isn't processing even a little bit. This is the same exact relaxer that my stylist uses on my hair back home, and this has never happened with her. Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Aggie

Hi, I'm new on LHCF and I subscribed mainly to post here because I have a question.

I recently tried self-relaxing for the first time, partly because I am a college student going to school in a different state and I've been getting my relaxers done by the same person since I first got one and I don't trust anyone else with my hair, and partly because even if I did trust anyone else, I can't afford to get them done in a salon.

I've tried self-relaxing twice now, and both times my hair has come out seriously underprocessed. The first time, I thought it was because I may have added too much conditioner to the relaxer, so the second time, I tried it without the conditioner with the same results. It's not even that I'm coming out sort of texlaxed, my hair just basically looks like I never attempted to relax it at all. The directions that came with the relaxer (ORS No-Lye normal strength) said total processing time should take 18 minutes MAX. I left the relaxer on for somewhere between 25 and 30, so I'm really confused as to why my hair isn't processing even a little bit. This is the same exact relaxer that my stylist uses on my hair back home, and this has never happened with her. Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Did you mix in the activator liquid first?

ETA: By the way, you should thank God it didn't work as you would have very little hair on your head right now. I shudder at the thought of keeping relaxer on my hair that long!

Last edited:

NaiyaAi

Did you mix in the activator liquid first?

ETA: By the way, you should thank God it didn't work as you would have very little hair on your head right now. I shudder at the thought of keeping relaxer on my hair that long!
Yeah, I mixed in the activator. I wish the problem was as simply-fixed as me forgetting the activator. =/

Aggie

In that case, I wonder if your relaxer was expired or left sitting too long after being mixed before applying to your hair? I can't imagine what else would cause it not to work.

sylver2

i've gotten so much better. i was doing 4 sections, now i do half & half. i use a sprush now. came out perfect. hard protein week before. dc with keraphix right after touchup.