*NEW* SELF RELAXER SUPPORT: WHAT WORKS, WHAT DOESN’T

Cattypus1

All loced up...
healthy2008 said:
I'm a newbie that is self relaxing tomorrow after work. I'll be using Optimum Care salon Collection no lye relaxer (regular). I'm stopping by Sally's today to buy a relaxer brush because I've been using my fingers for the past year and I'm tired of doing that.

I've been self-relaxed for years and I always use a tint brush. In fact, I hate to go to the beauty shop because I hate to wait. I can always think of something else I could be doing while I'm trapped in the chair or under the dryer. I don't find the pampering relaxing at all. The only reason I ever get near a shop is for cuts which is the only thing I'm not capable of doing myself. Good luck tomorrow.

mschristine

Cattypus1 said:
I've been self-relaxed for years and I always use a tint brush. In fact, I hate to go to the beauty shop because I hate to wait. I can always think of something else I could be doing while I'm trapped in the chair or under the dryer. I don't find the pampering relaxing at all. The only reason I ever get near a shop is for cuts which is the only thing I'm not capable of doing myself. Good luck tomorrow.

Thank you! I refuse to go to the salon. It cost too much and I feel they don't listen to what I want. I have some hair scissors that I use just to clip my ends when they are looking rough but I really think I need a cut. If that is the case, I'll visit a super cuts for a dry cut and make sure the stylist with the scissors understands what I want done

Cattypus1

All loced up...
healthy2008 said:
Thank you! I refuse to go to the salon. It cost too much and I feel they don't listen to what I want. I have some hair scissors that I use just to clip my ends when they are looking rough but I really think I need a cut. If that is the case, I'll visit a super cuts for a dry cut and make sure the stylist with the scissors understands what I want done

That is exactly what I do when I need a trim. There is a guy at the MasterCuts in the Mall who has been cutting my hair for years. When I think I need one, I wash my hair the night before and flat iron it straight and the next day run over at lunch time and let him trim me up dry. I don't let anyone near my head with shears when it's wet.

mschristine

Cattypus1 said:
That is exactly what I do when I need a trim. There is a guy at the MasterCuts in the Mall who has been cutting my hair for years. When I think I need one, I wash my hair the night before and flat iron it straight and the next day run over at lunch time and let him trim me up dry. I don't let anyone near my head with shears when it's wet.

I know what you mean. Hopefully it's not as bad as I think it is and I won't need to cut that much off.

disgtgyal

If I use a normal strength relaxer and spent majority of the recommended processing time smoothing my hair, but my hair still comes out underprocessed. Do I increase the processing time or use a stronger strength?

Sent from my LG-Thrill using LHCF

StarScream35

If I use a normal strength relaxer and spent majority of the recommended processing time smoothing my hair, but my hair still comes out underprocessed. Do I increase the processing time or use a stronger strength?

Thanks for asking this. I need the answer to this as well. I thought my problem was no-lye relaxers but I switched to lye-relaxers and still come out underprocessed. Perharps I really do need super?? Or should I take the risk and leave it on longer???? Are there any ladies out there who leave relaxers on longer than 20 to 25 min?

amwcah

Increasing the processing time will probably not give you better results. Maybe it is your technique. How are you smoothing?

You may just need extra strength, but please do a strand test first.

amwcah

Thanks for asking this. I need the answer to this as well. I thought my problem was no-lye relaxers but I switched to lye-relaxers and still come out underprocessed. Perharps I really do need super?? Or should I take the risk and leave it on longer???? Are there any ladies out there who leave relaxers on longer than 20 to 25 min?

I recently switched to lye to get underprocessed results after reading about how it leaves you with texture. I wouldn't recommend leaving the relaxer on longer because you may damage your hair strands or it will not process any further beyond a certain point. You may just need to up your strength of the relaxer, but once again PLEASE do a strand test first.

What strength were you using with the no-lye and brand?

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Are you ladies flat ironing your roots first? Low porosity hair seems to need heat to get the cuticles open to allow the relaxer to take better.

amwcah

Are you ladies flat ironing your roots first? Low porosity hair seems to need heat to get the cuticles open to allow the relaxer to take better.

It seems like that would make the hair overprocessed. The hair is already in a straight state plus the relaxer and smoothing. I wouldn't smooth if you use this method.:nono:

StarScream35

I remember reading where someone said they relaxed their kitchens with a toothbrush to avoid overprocessing so I tried it and it actually worked.

I know I'm gonna get stoned for this but I relax without gloves. I can't get a good feel for things with gloves on. I've never had any issues with nails. They do turn slightly yellow but after an hour they are back white. But then again, I'm on 3 different vitamins so that may help.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Brighteyes35 said:

I've heard of people doing this but I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe the relaxer brand is the problem. Also, what is happening with your hair in the week prior to your touch-ups?

disgtgyal

Typically the stylist smooths with the back of the comb and does a comb through just before rinsing. I use vitale life and body relaxer, it's a lye. I cannot use no- lye and have healthy hair.

StarScream35

I've heard of people doing this but I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe the relaxer brand is the problem. Also, what is happening with your hair in the week prior to your touch-ups?

The weeks prior, I simply keep my new growth moisturized with S Curl and that's it.

disgtgyal

Vitale seems to be the only relaxer that doesn't cause my ends to thin and as far as weeks prior to touch up, my hair is usually very moisturized, the roots are pretty soft. The longer I stretch the less porous my hair becomes e.g. one wk post my hair is very porous, 6wks post it becomes less porous, 12wks post and after it takes forever to soak up water and forever to dry...

amwcah

I remember reading where someone said they relaxed their kitchens with a toothbrush to avoid overprocessing so I tried it and it actually worked.

I know I'm gonna get stoned for this but I relax without gloves. I can't get a good feel for things with gloves on. I've never had any issues with nails. They do turn slightly yellow but after an hour they are back white. But then again, I'm on 3 different vitamins so that may help.

Your good. I don't use gloves either and I have ezcema.

Queenmickie

Always thinking about my next hairstyle.

Brighteyes35 I don't use gloves either. They slow me down. I apply with a sprush, then smooth with my fingers. My mother yelled at me when she found out. I don't tell her anymore. I wear nail polish so I don't notice any color differences in my nails. What is the benefit of using the toothbrush for the kitchen?

StarScream35

Queenmickie

The toothbrush for the kitchens helps to avoid over-processing. My kitchens are shorter than the rest of my hair thanks to so called PROFESSIONAL stylists over-processing and not neutralizing that area back there. Using a toothbrush really does help me avoid this since it's smaller and allows for better control back there and since I have been self relaxing, my kitchens are in better shape than they have ever been. They are finally touching my shoulders and that's never happened!

irisak

Cattypus1 said:
I always wear gloves but I don't base my scalp either...no burns.

Honestly I've been self relaxing for years and don't use gloves or base my scalp. I don't burn easy though and leaving my hands bare helps me feel my hair especially when smoothing.

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. any spelling errors should be blamed on auto-correct.

klsjackson

I started self relaxing in January 2012 and after dismal results I went to a salon for a relaxer June 28th. The stylist got my hair too straight, so I decided to try self relaxing again yesterday and it turned out very nice. It's not too straight or undue processed. My roller set is bouncy and my hair is swinging. So happy cause I saved money and my hair.

ArrrBeee

Just self relaxed using a modified version of sunnieb's method. My hair is really fine so i made twists.

I clipped the twists with a small barrette.

I then coated the twisted hair with Biosilk and Summit base. I then rolled the hair downward into a ball and clipped up that part.

I relaxed with Hawaiian Silky. My hair is bone straight. Much straighter than I wanted but better than when Butter Blends left me underprocessed.

Rinsed and then put Porosity Control on for 3 min.

Mid protein step is DuoTex.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

sunnieb

ArrrBeee - Glad it all worked out for you! :)

I've found that doing the twists allows me to apply the first layer of relaxer quickly. I like my hair bone straight, so I love it. If it's too straight for you, just shorten your processing time next go 'round. :yep:

sunnieb

jendazzler said:
sunnieb,

How are you getting your hair straight if your hair is in twists? Or do you start an inch or so away from your roots?

jendazzler - I only twist the previously relaxed hair. The newgrowth is not twisted.

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

JazziLady!

Just wanted to stop in to say I recently did my 3rd self texlax and I am loving my hair! You ladies have helped me so much with your instructions, tutorials and encouraging pictures and words!! I thought the only way for me to have healthy hair was to go natural. After Multiple failed attempts at going natural and much frustration and unhappiness with my hair, I finally found my answer to healthy hair that looks and behaves the way I want it to - self texlaxing!!!! Who knew!!! My hair is such a non issue now and that is a GREAT thing!

As far as what works:

WORKS:
  • Design Essentials Sensitive scalp relaxer with a capful of olive oil added to slow down the relaxer process
  • Relaxing no fewer than 4 days after my last wash (reduces potential for scalp burns)
  • Basting my scalp and hairline
  • Setting a timer to complete the texlax process in 15-18 mins
  • Mid Protein step
  • Using only hands to smooth
  • Relaxing hairline and nape the last 3-5 mins
WILL TRY NEXT
  • Using sprush or applicator bottle to apply relaxer

Last edited: