*NEW* SELF RELAXER SUPPORT: WHAT WORKS, WHAT DOESN’T

blackberry815

good luck to you!....theres a lot of info here and the ladies are very helpful with answering questions...

Sent from my ADR6400L using ADR6400L

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I comb thru NG at the very end right b4 i rinse. The rest is smoothing. I go to salon for trimming and wash & set.
I rinse in shower, I have a handheld so i can focus directly on back or front.
I use Optimum no lye

sylver2

combing through the NG at the end sounds like a great idea. I did it first and i think this combined with other factors caused me to burn quickly.

I'll let you know how it turns out when I relax in June.

blackberry815

I've only self-relaxed once, but I was amazed at the results, so I feel comfortable answering the questions:

What have you tried that you KNOW works:

*taking the time to pre-section your hair. It took me about an hour (I did small sections and twisted them), but it made the relaxer application go quickly.

*heavily coating previously relaxed hair with oil.

*wearing a plastic cape while rinsing my hair in the shower so the relaxer didn't touch my back (thanks to an LHCF tip).

*wearing gloves that allowed me to feel my texture so I didn't have to use a sprush.

What will you never do again because you know it DOES NOT work:

Can't think of anything right now. I read and researched self-relaxing for over a year, so I was well-prepared.

Please include examples of things you believe in.

*Do your research! Feeling educated about self-relaxing put me totally at ease. I wasn't nervous at all.

*Have all of your tools at hand. You don't want to be searching for something with a head full of relaxer! :nono:

*Allow enough time for the entire process. It took me six hours from start to finish and I was fine with that. I scheduled a day totally for me and me only. No interruptions. I know I'll be faster next time, but I'll still set aside all day.

Please include specific techniques.

*Pre-section and oil hair (priceless tip).

Also, feel free to share which products you liked, and if possible, why.

*Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp - gave me great and straight results! I've never had a relaxer burn, but I hear that this relaxer doesn't burn.

*Vaseline - I coated my ends with this to give them extra protection.

Even add new techniques you haven’t tried yet, but are considering trying in the future.

Can't think of anything right now.

@blackberry815 - I go for bone skrait when I relax! :grin: I used Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp. Pre-parting is the way to go! :yep: I wasn't comfortable trying the half/half method. I wanted to get my head done is one shot.

I created an album in my fotki that outlined exactly what I did if you want to check it out.

At what point do you take the twists out? It sounds to me like this would cause tangles. Did you do it right after the relaxer was smoothed in?

ojemba

Ladies I need your advice on how to correct this. My last relaxer was on dec 22 after a 25 weeks stretch. I can recall my hairdresser saying "I hope I'm getting all your new growth" she did not put any oils on my already relaxed hair. Anyways I've been following this tread and taking tips because I'm planning on self relaxing next month at 26 weeks post. My concern is I have underprocessed hair along my hair - see picture. So it's relaxed, underprocessed, relaxed then new growth. How do I correct this?

bebezazueta

Ladies I need your advice on how to correct this. My last relaxer was on dec 22 after a 25 weeks stretch. I can recall my hairdresser saying "I hope I'm getting all your new growth" she did not put any oils on my already relaxed hair. Anyways I've been following this tread and taking tips because I'm planning on self relaxing next month at 26 weeks post. My concern is I have underprocessed hair along my hair - see picture. So it's relaxed, underprocessed, relaxed then new growth. How do I correct this?

Hello lady

I had a similar issue with underprocessed hair and I never did a corrective. I just let it be and it eventually stretched out with the weight of the relaxed hair from the root and ends. The underprocessed hair is in the middle and it's a nice little wave when u just look at an individual strand. I rollerset alot so you can't tell the difference. If there's no breakage I say leave it be. Best wishes.

AlliCat

Tip: Put your vaseline in the fridge for a bit before applying. this helps cool the scalp in preparation for the relaxer.

I self-relaxed yesterday (well technically my mom applied it) and i added Jojoba oil to the relaxer, hoping to avoid overprocessing and give me some extra leeway with processing time. Well it didn't really work for that purpose. Next time I'm going to try a heavier oil like JBCO.

AlliCat

Here were my steps for yesterday's relaxer process. it went really smoothly. The front is a slightly under processed but I'm happy.

1. Base scalp w/ petroleum jelly and apply protective pre-treatment to previously relaxed hair
2. Mix relaxer creme + activator + Jojoba oil
3. Apply, smooth and rinse thoroughly with water
4. Mid-protein step with Joico K-Pak Reconstructor
5. Neutralizing shampoo...rinse and repeat many times
6. Color rinse w/ dark and lovely reviving colors for 40 mins w/ heat
7. Deep condition with One n Only Restorative Mask for 7 mins
8. Apply leave-ins (CHI keratin mist, the moisturizer that came with the color, and One n Only argan oil to seal)

ericajoy

What have you tried that you KNOW works: I self-texlax and do half my hair at a time. I part in four sections, and cover the back two sections with a shower cap that I clip on with tiny claw clips. After I finish relaxing the front sections, I rinse out the relaxer with water and then rinse with 1/2 ACV, 1/2 water mixture to neutralize the relaxer. Then I towel-dry and cover the front, and do the same with the back sections.

What will you never do again because you know it DOES NOT work: Early on I tried texlaxing my new growth with unstretched hair. It was a frustrating disaster! I should have known better. Now I make sure my hair is stretched and thoroughly detangled before I start.

Please include examples of things you believe in. I think it's important to treat hair gently after a relaxer. I tend to put in a lot of leave-in and twist and let it air dry, and avoid serious combing and styling for a few days.

Please include specific techniques. Rinsing with ACV after rinsing out the relaxer and before the wash neutralizes the relaxer quickly and REALLY cuts down on the number of times I need to wash with the neutralizing shampoo (from about 7x to 1x).

Also, feel free to share which products you liked, and if possible, why. I only use Phytospecific Index I (the mild one). Even though I was pretty unskilled at first, this has never overprocessed my hair OR burned my scalp (and I have a sensitive one) OR caused my hair to dry out or break. It's expensive but I love it and I figure, as long as I'm doing my own tex-laxers, I'm saving money by not going to the salon anyway. Plus it comes with a restructuring conditioner that I really like.

Even add new techniques you haven’t tried yet, but are considering trying in the future. Not sure, but this is working right now!

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Tip: Put your vaseline in the fridge for a bit before applying. this helps cool the scalp in preparation for the relaxer.

I self-relaxed yesterday (well technically my mom applied it) and i added Jojoba oil to the relaxer, hoping to avoid overprocessing and give me some extra leeway with processing time. Well it didn't really work for that purpose. Next time I'm going to try a heavier oil like JBCO.

I like the sound of that

blackberry815

To those that use the half and half method. I was told that the plastic cap is not good to use for the relaxer process because it opens up the pores and also that it may cause u to sweat before u relax that side........which would also cause burning on the side with the cap... Anyone experience this? I wanted to use this method

bellesocialite

^ I've self-relaxed twice using a plastic cap for the half and half method. I've never had issues with sweating or burning in the part that's covered (and I sweat a lot on my scalp).

I don't go back into the bathroom to start on the next half immediately. Maybe my pores have closed up by then? IDK.

blackberry815

^ I've self-relaxed twice using a plastic cap for the half and half method. I've never had issues with sweating or burning in the part that's covered (and I sweat a lot on my scalp).

I don't go back into the bathroom to start on the next half immediately. Maybe my pores have closed up by then? IDK.

Ok thanks for the feedback I'll be doing this method for my next relaxer.

grow

hey ladies!

i just self permed and tried something new i'd like to share:

after i finished rinsing out the perm, doing my mid protein step, and neutralizing poo/porosity control......

right before i got ready to towel dry for the deep conditioner application:

i did a luscious, generous oil rinse!:lick:

i hadn't ever tried it during the perm/post perm process, but i'm so glad i tried it!!!

(thanks also to IDareT'sHair, for the thread on oils that's heightened my awareness about this important aspect of hair care!)

my hair was much much easier to detangle for the separating of the strands i needed to do for the dc application.:grin:

sure, there's oil in my dc's too, but having already given my hair an oil rinse first gave me the feeling of better penetration into my hair shaft.:grin::yep:

i used evoo, coconut oil and avocado oils, known for their capacity to penetrate the hair shaft and will surely add this step to all my future perm steps!:yep:

hhj ladies!

blackpearl81

***I use a tint brush to relax and it makes it soooo much easier and precise
***Also use a reconstructor after neutralizing
***Relax edges last
***Add EVOO to relaxer

blackberry815

Ladies are any of you able to avoid getting the relaxer on ur scalp when self relaxing or is that something that's just inevitable? I know for the most part we can't see the back of our heads when self relaxing. But I want to avoid placing it directly on my scalp.... Any tips or experiences? Do share!

afjhnsn

Ladies are any of you able to avoid getting the relaxer on ur scalp when self relaxing or is that something that's just inevitable? I know for the most part we can't see the back of our heads when self relaxing. But I want to avoid placing it directly on my scalp.... Any tips or experiences? Do share!

I have had the same problem ... I'm just going to use gloves and apply w my fingers. Using a brush = disaster for me, so far.

blackberry815

My theory is that getting the relaxer on ur scalp caused excess shedding... I think that's why many self relaxers report so much shedding during the relaxer process....then again I could be wrong.. just my theory....I want to figure out a way to avoid this. I think basing the scalp can only protect it but so much.

afjhnsn

Just successfully self-relaxed :drunk:
This was my second attempt at it, and although the roots are straight, there's a bit (an inch or so down) that's still got a little wave/texture. But I'm fine with that.

What have you tried that you KNOW works:
-Relaxing in halves (top & bottom .. bottom first)! Wow, made everything SO much simpler! I even had plenty of time to smooth.

-Basing with JBCO (applicator bottle)the night before & using vaseline to base the perimeter.

-Parted hair the night before & this morning I rolled up prev. relaxed hair (& covered it in vaseline to protect it bc I knew I'd get some relaxer on it ... I'm a clutz). It helped me to go faster bc the last time I didn't do any of these things & I was soooo slow & so underprocessed. UGH. I had to shell out $$$ for a corrective.

-I sprayed Chi keratin mist on my NG prior to relaxing (LHCF tip .. sorry, I forgot who recommended it) ... Idk if it helped, but it certainly didn't hurt!

What will you never do again because you know it DOES NOT work:
-Using only my hands to smooth. I did that in the back, which was actually okay bc the back seems to be a slightly looser texture so although it's not bone straight, it's not a big deal, IMO. I switched to smoothing with the back of a comb and that worked great for the top half of my head.

-I will never use an applicator brush! Blech.

-I will never use vaseline to base my scalp .. Unless I can melt it and put it in an applicator bottle. But the JBCO worked very well. Otherwise... using my fingers to apply vaseline will most likely result in it getting everywhere ... & udnerprocessing my poor strands.

Please include examples of things you believe in:
-ACV+water to help the neutralizing process.
-aphogee 2 min for midstep.
-Porosity control after or during the final moisturizing DC

Please include specific techniques:
see above

Also, feel free to share which products you liked, and if possible, why:
I used Mizani Butter Blends - normal. When I'm done with this container I may try mild. I haven't decided. But I love Mizani. The only reason I burned (only the top half) was bc I started smoothing too early on and my scalp was like :nono: LOL!

Even add new techniques you haven’t tried yet, but are considering trying in the future. Not sure, but this is working right now!
-Curious about the sprush brush, but I doubt I'll bother with it... I like using my fingers.

-I may invest in a nice swivel mirror to rig up for next time, though.

As you can see I need a trim. But I won't get one any time soon.
A)I'm broke :lol:
B)I just don't care enough.
C)I bought a pair of shears & may attempt to clip my own ends in a few weeks... but I really don't care about trimming since I almost never wear my hair straight and blown out. I usually do bantu knot/twist outs or something like that. Straight styles are a pain, IMO.. even when freshly relaxed.

But yayyy, I'm creeping up on APL!
Hope this helps someone.
LHCF has helped me soo much <3 you ladies.

Attachments

• fsl.jpg
    fsl.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 60

blackberry815

Ladies I finally took the plunge! It was a success... I used the half and half method from Kami's YouTube video... I did shed a bit but all in all I'm extremely happy! I am officially self relaxed. I used all your tips and now I'm sitting under the dryer with my black rinse. I used my sprushes and did not burn at all! I can't thank u guys enough. I will be doin my own relaxer from now on and that is the best thing since I was sick of going to the Damn stylist.

LushLox

Just self relaxed today, it was a good result, I'm getting better. Bit too straight in the front for my liking, but my resistant back came out well. Going to try and stretch now til December, we'll see.

ETA: I also washed and conditioned my hair in the morning and relaxed in the evening; no irritation and no burns. I know this is controversial, but this really works for me, I don't have any problems parting the thick regrowth to apply the relaxer.

Last edited:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Self relaxed and didn't base my scalp with vaseline...it came out good. I did oil my scalp 2 days before. I'm thinking of going only 8 weeks next time and I just realized that my sprush is about 1 inch wide so that should help prevent too much overlap if I also use it as a guide.

isioma85

I had a VERY successful self relaxer on May 31st. I wanted to wait until I had washed my hair twice before posting about it.

I used the Dark and Lovely Moisture Seal Plus Shea Butter No Lye Relaxer Kit. It comes with a little vial of this Silk Keratin Complex you're supposed to put on your hair after to help with reconstruction:

Things I did that helped

- I followed LaurenMechelle's method on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQhyS0KKXxI

-She recommends smoothing continuously using multiple popsicle sticks so that as each one weakens from the chemical you can just throw it away and get another one. I used a wooden spatula (from the grocery store) similar to this...

....as I had 6 months of new growth and wanted something that would smooth over a larger area at a time. I also didn't have to keep switching, I neutralized it with shampoo afterwards and I still have it for next time! :grin:

- I put a LOT of coconut oil over the already relaxed hair above the new growth, to prevent over processing.

- I wore small size latex gloves (I'm not allergic) as they fit really well, making it easy to manipulate my hair (LaurenMechelle also recommends this)

- After rinsing but BEFORE neutralizing, I used th Silk Keratin Serum that came with the kit, along with my Ultra Sheen Duo Tex (it is safe for use after chemical services) for protein reconstruction.

- After 10 minutes, I rinsed that out, and neutralized with the shampoo twice.

Honestly, this has been my BEST self relaxer to date. All of my newgrowth was bone straight, manageable, soft and strong. I did a rollerset right after and it was great! :clap:

blackberry815

Self relaxed and didn't base my scalp with vaseline...it came out good. I did oil my scalp 2 days before. I'm thinking of going only 8 weeks next time and I just realized that my sprush is about 1 inch wide so that should help prevent too much overlap if I also use it as a guide.

Just wanted to point out to u that our one inch of newgrowth is not straight on its natural state. So it might not extend down a whole inch. Instead the one inch of newgrowth might cover 1/2 an inch or less of area because of shrinkage.... And then once straightened its gonna look like the whole inch that it is....So u dont wanna overlap so be careful with the sprush. If u check out shamboosie's book his picture is pretty accurate on how much he spreads the relaxer during the process. It stays only to the newgrowth. I like use that as a guide because I too go 8 weeks.