Poll: Cathy Howse vs. Hair Lady

vevster

which do you prefer and why? I am trying to get this poll function to work for the other user so this is her poll.....

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.longhaircareforum.com/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1044239306vevster">

Cathy Howse Vs. Hair Lady

<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Cathy Howse
<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />Crown and Glory Technique

<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

G

I don't know anything about the Crown and Glory, so my vote is Ms Howse

jrw

Even though I have never used both, my vote would be for crown and glory. It seems to be a simpler regime and the woman does not seem to be selling anything. That's an added bonus. When my hair growth started hitting a rut, I thought about using a technique similar to hers.

G

Hey JRW, what's wrong with selling stuff?? That's how people make livlihood..
We as black people are too simple minded I guess that's why we'll never get ahead.....

G

DON'T HATE...

<font color="green">FROM THIS </font>

<font color="red"> TO THIS </font>

hairfanatic

Although the braids, don't work well for me (maybe I'm not doing them properly, I don't know), but I have personally spoken to Robin on many occasions and she is a very nice lady that uses simple information to help others. I have tried Cathy Howse's technique and it also works but I guess the attitude, responses on the website and the tone she uses when dealing with customers was a turn off. So I'm for the Crown and Glory Method. Also, we have seen /images/graemlins/shocked.gif how her program works with ladies on this forum like Faith and Den. We haven't seen any pictures of those using Cathy's techniques accept by written testimonies and her own hair which really doesn't do 11 years of growing her hair any justice. Don't get me wrong her hair looks really nice but I rather grow waist length hair in two years any day. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne0914

speak for yourself, mindymouse... /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

i think what JRW meant was that people who are trying to sell products usually have their own agendas. i believe this to be true. it doesn't mean that what they're doing is wrong. it just means you should be more aware because their goal isn't necessarily yours. where you want healthy, long hair, they may just want to sell their products.

i personally think we could learn something from all of the different methods, even if it's nothing more than "this doesn't work for me." lol!

it would be great if we could disagree on subjects here without insulting each other...

adrienne

adrienne0914

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
her own hair which really doesn't do 11 years of growing her hair any justice. Don't get me wrong her hair looks really nice but I rather grow waist length hair in two years any day.

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY!!!!

G

**own hair which really doesn't do 11 years of growing her hair any justice. Don't get me wrong her hair looks really nice but I rather grow waist length hair in two years any day.**

You should read the book, cause this statement shows you don't know much about hair cycles. She talks about that too. If you don't shave under your arms for a year is it gonna get waist length??

G

**for yourself, mindymouse...

i think what JRW meant was that people who are trying to sell products usually have their own agendas. i believe this to be true. it doesn't mean that what they're doing is wrong. it just means you should be more aware because their goal isn't necessarily yours. where you want healthy, long hair, they may just want to sell their products**

So you buy stuff everyday does the people you buy from have and "agenda"? Think about it. I think she's selling something that she believes in, and that is PROVEN to work. Now if you try it and it does'nt work, then you can make that statement.

For example look at the WGO site all those testimonials and people buy it NO QUESTION. But a black woman???

I'm Sorry, I don't mean to be Fierce, but I sometimes I can be quite anal about things like this, cause I've seen to much of it. There was a guy at our church, opened a Dry Cleaners and he does a Good job and is comparable to all the other cleaners in the area and people take thier clothes elsewhere, just not to make him rich. Now is'nt that sad. We like little lobsters, it's our mentality to pull each other down. Like if I'm down you should be too.

azul11

i dont think that was the intent of people saying their statements. it is similar to the ladies here giving their methods for hair growth. we dont have products to sell so our opinions are objective. the hair lady recommends products but she personally doesnt sell them so she has no stock in saying use this for your hair so it will grow like mine. and race has nothing to do with it. i dont think anyone looked at it as she was black woman. God bless you all.

adrienne0914

you're absolutely right. i know NOTHING about hair cycles. i do know that my hair is catching up to hers in just under three years though... i'm not hating on the woman. i admire what she's doing because she has been a pioneer in helping black women take responsiblity for, and control of their own hair care. however, i just think her hair should be longer after ELEVEN years. that's all.

adrienne

MSCHICHI

it would be great if we could disagree on subjects here without insulting each other...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree Adrienne.

This has turned into a very adversarial discussion, and that is not necessary.

Minus any animosity, I do however, understand both points.

Of course when someone is selling a product, we are more likely to look at any information from them with a higher level of suspicion and scrutiny. This does not negate correct information though, and so the research and end results should bear the facts, and whether they were looking only to make money, or to also adequately inform.

It is an unfortunate fact that Black business people are often looked down for fairly trying to profit from their expertise. We must try to overcome this issue as well. I must point out that Robin does sell an instructional braids tape (I bought it).

With all of these things in mind, I can make a fair objection to Cathy Howse's methods, and am in favor of Robin's. I studied both of their websites and information at length, and sent e-mails to both.

Cathy Howse does have some good information that has helped a lot of people, and does have a successful business, but there are things that I don't care for in her case. I feel that much of Cathy's information is misleading. I feel that she twisted Paula Begoun's research on Wanakee's products to show her in a negative light, and has other information on her website that made some disparaging statements about her in a similar vein. As a side note, I feel that Wanakee was a pioneer in providing information, products, and techniques to women of color, although her products were very expensive. I have her "pamphlet" which Cathy slammed, and I feel that she just didn't need a whole book to say some very simple things about hair. She also sent this "pamphlet" out free, and I did think Cathy resented this and other things out of jealousy. I have found that she just has a very bad attitude in talking about other people’s methods and responding to questions, which I feel was unnecessary and unprofessional. From looking at the information, I think that the 11 years it took to grow her hair out had little to do with her hair growth cycle, and much more to do with other issues. One was that she refused to trim her hair, rarely even her split ends (setting up a pattern of breakage). She also doesn't really believe in protective styles, and admitted she had some setbacks (which if I am not mistaken was chemical damage). She also seems to believe quite a bit in regular heat styling, with in combination with relaxed hair can do lots of damage. If her methods work for you though, more power to you.

Robin, on the other hand, was extremely pleasant to speak with, and I have asked her lots of questions about hair care and her methods. She has a great site with lots of solid information. The careful instructions on braids and their application, maintenance, and conditioning of the hair in between really impressed me. I see a lot of parallels between how she was able to retain so much healthy length in such a short period of time, and Adrienne's process. I got her tape, but I am putting off braids, as I am wearing a press and protective styling right now. I am also wary of some of the drawbacks of braids in general, as I have heard from other people on this site, who had problems with it fraying their hair. She helped immensely in informing me about pressing, and whether or not to color my hair, and the damage I got from it. She is also a trained cosmetologist, and as I remember, Cathy is not. Now we all know this distinction often doesn't mean anything, but in this case I think it makes a difference, in light of the other comparisons.

I am not trying to bash here, just present my argument, which I believe was supported with facts. As Cathy responded to me in an e-mail in bold letters when I shared these concerns with her, this is my opinion. I hope I did my best to present it in a respectful, though honest fashion. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

azul11

o/t does the tapes teach you how to braid? like different types of braids like cornrolls or twists? i'm curious because i would like to learn how to do those. does she explain how to do it to your own hair? God bless you all.

LuvableLady

Mindymouse said:
If you don't shave under your arms for a year is it gonna get waist length??

[/ QUOTE ]

It might, I've never waited an entire year so I wouldn't know. Waist length underarm hair, doesn't sound to appealing. /images/graemlins/nono.gif

Leshia

adrienne0914 said:

adrienne

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I am starting to wonder if Mindy Mouse is really Cathy Howse...(hey that rhymes). Mindy, you get very edgy if someone is not head over heels with Cathy Howse methods and/or products. Chill out sweetie. It's gonna be alright and for the record, I am happy that you've found something that works great for you. Nothing wrong with you loving something and someone else not loving it. Bye Bye /images/graemlins/wave.gif

pebbles

you're absolutely right. i know NOTHING about hair cycles.

[/ QUOTE ] /images/graemlins/huh.gif ???? If you don't know anything about hair cycles, then who on this forum does??? Listen sister, don't even say that, o.k? You know the penalty! /images/graemlins/spank.gif

pebbles

Mindymouse,

Please be aware that some of your comments can easily be interprited as personal attacks. I don't believe that's what you intended, but that's how many will interpret them.

As I've stated before, I love Cathy Howes, and her methods work for me, but not everyone feels the same, and that's o.k. Let others voice their opinions and dislike about her products or her way of communicating her knowledge without this degenerating into something none of us intended. /images/graemlins/look.gif

Edited to add that I will update my pictures in May so you guys can see my progress. It really is growing. /images/graemlins/trampoline.gif

Integrity

I love Cathy methods as well and from what i know of Hair Lady the two methods are not so different, anybody correct me if i am wrong. can you even compare the two methods, sice one is using briads and the other simply advocates the moisture for dry hair theory to grow hair???

cathy simply saw a gap in the market and filled it! hey, that's what true entrepreneurs do. go cathy, go cathy, go go go! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif her regimen makes sense to me

hairfanatic

You should read the book, cause this statement shows you don't know much about hair cycles. She talks about that too. If you don't shave under your arms for a year is it gonna get waist length??

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to bust your bubble Mindymouse but I have the book and have read it 3 times! And...I am entitled to having my own opinion. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

G

OK Pebbles, not it was not personal it was intended to be general and I think if you read the post I did apologize and say that I tend to be quite anal on that subject.
/images/graemlins/look.gif

Correct everyone does have thier opinion, but when it's based on uninformed lies/myths that bothers me. Like people have said it took 11 yrs to grow her hair, when that's a lie and if the only "look" at her FAQ section they would know this.

Also about hair cycles. Everyone has a plateau not everyone is gonna have waist length I don't care what regime is used.

So, no it's not personal but I do get offended when people make bogus statements esp, when they know better.

OK, However, I'll just refrain from viewing and posting in any threads on this subject, cause my dandruff may rise LOL /images/graemlins/mad.gif

pebbles

No worries Mindymouse. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Just know that we have had a few people here read Cathy's book and try her products and they have not worked, (shocking, but true) so those reviews are not uninformed lies or myths, but facts from that persons point of view. Do you see what I mean? I know that Cathy's hair didn't take 11 years to grow, she says that herself, but for some reason, many believe that to be the case. Oh well, no harm done. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

G

**Hairfanatic said":Sorry to bust your bubble Mindymouse but I have the book and have read it 3 times! And...I am entitled to having my own opinion&gt;

Now this is a prime example of what just said in my last post, she read the book 3 times yet still make that lying statement, that's what makes me beleive its a personal attack againt a black woman, selling products. And if you read the book you know that she is not just selling her product she said in the book, what a good conditioner should have in it and she states SHE had not found one on the market that met that criteria so SHE created her own.

/images/graemlins/mad.gif eww, I said I was'nt gonna post here no more..

LOL YOur right you do have your opinion, just be truthful is all I ask OK /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

azul11

i could have sworn this was a post about what people's opinion was on what technique and regime that they felt was better. if they dont like cathy's for whatever reason so what. i'm sorry but its not that deep. if someone doesnt like cathy's attitude or whatever that is them. if you like her so be it. its not worth it to get so upset about it. you dont have to be the personal spokesperson for cathy. there are people here who respect her opinions and her methods. others may not. but its not right to badger someone when they dont agree and consider it lies or untruths. cathy didnt write the gospel. she wrote what worked for her and it doesnt work for everyone seeing as we all have different hair needs and our hair reacts to different things. cant we just agree to disagree. geeezzzz la weeeaazzeee!!! God bless you all.

pebbles

Mindymouse,

Refrain from telling people that they are lying. One persons lie, is anothers' truth. No-one here is attacking Cathy Howes personally. I really think you should refrain from answering on this thread if you are going to get that upset about it. There is no need to have everyone in an uproar over a review of a product or book. I want to keep this thread open. Help me to do so.

G

(((Azul))) I do understand that, and I'm not an advocate for Cathy, I an advocate for black folk, doing positive things...

And say what you will, yall all know how "we" can be.