Poll: Cathy Howse vs. Hair Lady

londongirl3

That was in 1994

That was in 1997

It looks to me like 6 to 8 inches (I'm being very generous because I think it's more like 3 inches honestly) in 3 years.

She does not trim her hair.......so that is ALL the retained growth

pebbles

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I think in the book she said after 11 years she's still growing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, that is what she says. The one thing I do wish she would do is to clarify how long it took her to grow her hair from when it was short to past her shoulders. Though I can sort of guess from her pictures, it's hard to tell. That would clear up a lot of confusion. Maybe I should write to her and suggest that? Hmmm..... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Honi

There is no board.
Well both bring up good tips and points. I couldn't use Robin's method because i hate my hair being in braids but she has grown her hair to waist length. Cathy hasn't but I don't know if that is her goal or is it just to maintain healthy hair period.
As far as products, I think that there are sooo many products out there compared to what was back in the day. Most of all, we are all much more informed and I really like the idea of bouncing reviews off on each other when a new product is tried.
Then there's Wanakee? I don't use her products but dammit her points make sense too and she has hair to her waist. I love that woman. She has some hair doggone it! LOL
I think we can all gain a little something from each of these women and mostly each other to tailor our hair regimens and reach our goals.

londongirl3

This is from her site

Please do not misunderstand. It did NOT take me 14 years to grow my hair. This page is simply here to prove that I have been successful at growing my hair for 14 years. My hair grows approximately 1/2" per month which is 6" per year which equates to the average life cycle. My hairs natural life cycle is between 2 and 3 years. It is up to you to determine your natural life cycle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess she means she retains between 12 and 18 inches of hair at it's longest.

pebbles

Yeah, I think so. From her comments and her pictures, it seemed to me that she grew her hair in less time than the 14 years. I am going to send her an email about that though. It would help to get the exact time it took her, if she can remember. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

G

<font color="red"> Taken from UBH Website </font>
Question 18. I thought that it took your hair an awfully long time to grow, I am talking about 14 years here. To be honest I will do any thing it takes to grow my hair long. I am 18 years of age and I do not want to wait 14 years until my hair grows. I want to enjoy my hair when I am young.

Answer: It DID NOT take 14 years for my hair to grow this length. My hair grows about 5 inches per year. My hair is approximately 18 inches from the crown of my head to the ends of my hair. The hair is constantly going through a growing and resting stage all over the head. ALL hair has a natural life cycle. If this was not true, would not the hair on your legs or under arms grow long enough to braid it if you did not shave it? I currently do not know what the life cycle of my hair is but I estimate it to be about 3 years. At the end of the 3 years, the hair goes through the "resting" stages that are known in the industry. I did not want to include this type of technical information in my book because you can get this stuff any where. My book is not a technical book but an easy to read method that can be followed to success! As far as your hair growing down your back in 1 year - the AVERAGE growth rate is 6" per year. Some people have hair that grows faster, others have hair that grows slower, but the AVERAGE growth rate is 6" per year. If the methods you have used in the past were unsuccessful with growing your hair, you probably have never experienced a full natural life cycle and growth rate. With my proven black hair growth system you now have an opportunity to grow your hair its longest length.

hairfanatic

I guess she means she retains between 12 and 18 inches of hair at it's longest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also thought with the statement that she made about it not taking her 14 years to grow her hair but then on the "after" picture saying that after 12 years, that she lost 2 years of growth. Yes, she does make it clear but when you see the after picture there is a contradiction there. If she doesn't cut her hair and basing it on just that alone and the hair's life cycle, I would have still thought it would have been longer than what it is. But like someone said, she doesn't use protective styling, and other things.

Like I said before I have used Cathy's techniques but from being with these hair forums have seen others that have grown hair even longer than hers within a few years. Like I said in my ORIGINAL post that she does have really nice hair but I would rather spend two years to get to a longer length than however long it took her to get to the length she is (and from looking at her photos it took longer than two years).

Also, having the information that I have now I can also see that there are others that can grow their hair sooner like Adrienne and Carolyn Gray have shown.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Also, having the information that I have now I can also see that there are others that can grow their hair sooner like Adrienne and Carolyn Gray have shown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Carolyn Gray! Now we're talking! I think her method is similar to Howse's but she goes into much greater detail. For example, Howse says to air dry the hair but she doesn't explain how to keep the hair from puffing up while it dries. With Gray's ponytail method I found that I only had to straighten a few sections with the flat iron instead of my entire head.
In one of her updates she stated that she had been slacking and made some mistakes with her hair. She got back on track and it's almost mid back length now! (The pic is dark--but it looks like mid back length to me...)
Carolyn Gray

*Edited to add the correct link.

Crysdon

Answer: It DID NOT take 14 years for my hair to grow this length. My hair grows about 5 inches per year. My hair is approximately 18 inches from the crown of my head to the ends of my hair. The hair is constantly going through a growing and resting stage all over the head. ALL hair has a natural life cycle. If this was not true, would not the hair on your legs or under arms grow long enough to braid it if you did not shave it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I SEE what everyone is talking about now (Cathy Howse's response)...that answer was very unprofessional and obtuse /images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

She also sounds defensive for whatever reason I can't fathom.

pebbles

I currently do not know what the life cycle of my hair is but I estimate it to be about 3 years.

[/ QUOTE ] Thanks Mindymouse. So it took her about 3 years, give or take, to grow her hair, at a rate of 6" a year times 3 years; o.k. That seems reasonable enough. I guess if her growth cycle were longer than 3 years, her hair would be longer than 18 inches. Makes sense. Thanks! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

azul11

i am dying to get her new book. i heard on this board i believe she will be coming with a new book and a oil. i know on her site she updates what she no longer uses on her hair and what doesnt work anymore for her. i enjoy her site and seeing her success stories. also i like that she goes to other sites and gets ideas from them and incorporates it into her regime (also like the fact she gives credit). i want to buy her book but i am waiting for the new one. i hope there is a new one and its not a rumor. anyone has her book? God bless you all.

Kitkat

Crysdon, this is exactly why I was turned off from learning any more about Cathy Howse and her method. The overall tone on her web site struck me as unprofessional. She doesn't simply disagree with her peers on hair care and health, she attacks them personally, which I don't understand. Her methods could be fantastic, and obviously they're working for many people here. But the way she addresses things kept me from absorbing the point of whatever she was saying. And that smidgen of her reply that you posted shows her defensiveness, which like you I don't get. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I don't know if you checked out her web site, but it's full of statements like that.

Another example is her difference in opinion with Barry Fletcher, another hair care professional. She disagreed with him on some point - I forget exactly what the issue was. Instead of just stating why she didn't agree with him, she out and out attacked him. Totally unnecessary, in my humble opinion. /images/graemlins/nono.gif I mean, different professionals have different theories and techniques regarding hair. Why is she so venomous?

G

pebbles said:
. So it took her about 3 years, give or take, to grow her hair, at a rate of 6" a year times 3 years; o.k. That seems reasonable enough. I guess if her growth cycle were longer than 3 years, her hair would be longer than 18 inches. Makes sense. Thanks! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it does, I've been trying to figure out mine I have had hair just above bra strap all my life when I would cut it it would grow to that point and the stop. I don't think I'll ever be waist length I dont want to be but If I can get it to grow past where it always is, I'd be happy. Ever since that 6 inch chop of the back thingy it seems like it's taken forever It will be a year in april and so far I probably got back 3-4 It's hard to tell cause I did'nt measure after the cut.

Do you think we reach Plateaus where we taper off??

Mahalialee4

About that "resting phase" thing...on other boards that ladies have very long hair...I read where some ladies do an upload on their MSM and Biotin when they notice that start to happen. I thought I was hitting a wall there for about 3 months, and so I upped my Biotin to 2400. I also increased my aminos, MSM and multi vitamin (doubled) to get a growth surge. I also superloaded my conditioners and added a hair pac.It actually worked. Has anyone else tried this&gt;How long will I do this? For about 6 months because I am growing out my layers and want to get the back to the bottom of my bra strap as soon as possible. I think we can learn tips here and there from everyone.Let me tell you, I am a woman with a mission when it comes to growing out my hair. /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif Bonjour.

Integrity

londongirl3 said:
No relevance to the thread but I love your new graphic pandora /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks londongirl! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

pebbles

Hey Mindymouse,

From what my understanding is of the hair growth cycle, once you reach the maximum life of your hair, it goes into the telogen phase, the last phase of the 3 growth cycles, and then the hair sheds itself, making way for a new hair to grow.
In that case, we all have a maximum length our hair we can reach. But at 6" of growth a year, (which is said to be the average for everyone, with some experiencing even faster growth, and a few experiencing a little less), and assuming that most of us have at least a hair growth cycle of 3 years, I believe that we all have the potential to have at least, 15"-18" of hair on our heads; we really do.

The trick is keeping the growth we get. I do believe, that if AA women didn't have such naturally dry hair that breaks a lot at the ends, we would have longer hair on our heads. If we can't keep the ends of our hair on our heads, then we won't experience length, and that's where the challenge is; seeing the growth we really do get by keeping the ends of our hair from snapping or breaking off. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

G

Mahaliee, did you get any ill effects from the increased dosage?

G

Well, I'm gonna put an iron bar around my ends....

Wit lock and key /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pebbles

Well, I'm gonna put an iron bar around my ends....

Wit lock and key

[/ QUOTE ] /images/graemlins/grin.gif That's right! The s-curl you ran out and bought last night should really help you with the ends of your hair! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

hairfanatic

Then there's Wanakee? I don't use her products but dammit her points make sense too and she has hair to her waist. I love that woman. She has some hair doggone it! LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

You and me both! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think we can all gain a little something from each of these women and mostly each other to tailor our hair regimens and reach our goals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, that's how it should have been. You have the information but it's your own choice to use information that's given the way you want. I have taken information from all sources but have learned far more from the women on this forum. Some of the women on this forum need to put together a book /images/graemlins/smile.gif

hairfanatic

Carolyn Gray! Now we're talking! I think her method is similar to Howse's but she goes into much greater detail. For example, Howse says to air dry the hair but she doesn't explain how to keep the hair from puffing up while it dries. With Gray's ponytail method I found that I only had to straighten a few sections with the flat iron instead of my entire head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sassygirl,

How did you keep it from puffing because when I was relaxed I tried the ponytail method and it was still puffy? From looking at Caryoln's pictures she seems to be now just let her's hang to dry and it still dries straight.

hairfanatic

Thanks Mindymouse. So it took her about 3 years, give or take, to grow her hair, at a rate of 6" a year times 3 years; o.k. That seems reasonable enough. I guess if her growth cycle were longer than 3 years, her hair would be longer than 18 inches. Makes sense. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this interesting because look at what it took for everyone to figure out what Cathy is saying. A lot of people don't have her book and if they go on her site and see a heading that says 14 years of hair growth photos, then read... No it didn't take forteen years to grow my hair because of it's lifecycle, but then see a bunch of pictures progressing her growth to her ending statement of 12 years later, that's what they would think. I was obviously not the only person that thought it took too long to grow her hair to that length from the email off of her website that Mindymouse posted. No need to take offense by what I am saying because I'm sure we all learned how things can get. We are just having healthy conversation, right? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

G

That's true somewhat. The fact still remains that she does explain it in her book. And onw the website, it also says it.

I'm not sure still what the confusion was about the pictures. Unless it was the statement that said, STILL growing after all those years.

But it's all cleared up now... /images/graemlins/cool.gif

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
How did you keep it from puffing because when I was relaxed I tried the ponytail method and it was still puffy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used about 1/2 oz. of Lottabody Straight Stuff to slick my hair back. It has to be reeeeeal flat or else it will be poufy when it dries. Then I smoothed over my hair with a little Frizz-Ease Serum (especially the part hanging out of the ponytail). The little bit of hair I had hanging out of the ponytail I wrapped around a plastic roller. (The roller tip wasn't in the book, IIRC--I got it from one of her updates). Then I tied my hair down with a scarf. When it was just partially damp I massaged some WGO through my hair and tied it back down until it was 100% dry.
I usually only needed to flat iron the dent from the ponytail holder and the very top of my head...

azul11

how did you like the straight stuff? i saw it mentioned on her site but i never got around to using it. does it make a difference on the ends of the hair? God bless you all.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I liked for air-drying. I never tried it with a blow dryer. I also tried TCB Bone Strait for air-drying and hated it! IMO, the SS alone won't keep the ends from frizzing up. At least it didn't work that way for me. I needed a silicone serum to keep my ends smooth during air-drying.