Poll: Cathy Howse vs. Hair Lady

azul11

i may sound slow or stupid but i am really trying to understand this. so what you are saying is after a period of time the hair on your head is replaced by new hairs but not at the same time? and this is the resting period? i'm just confused because you need to get relaxers all the time to touch up new growth, ok, so does that mean during this resting period the hair doesnt growth or it just regrows the previous hair??? /images/graemlins/huh.gif i'm sorry if i am so confused but i am really trying to understand this and try to see what people are saying. God bless you all.

henrilou

Pardon me if I am repeating anyone's previous post. I used to post on LongHairLovers (gosh, it's been so long that I might have the name wrong--but they went to 'pay-per-view') ANYWAY Cathy Howse used to lurk there and post occaisonally and let me tell you, SHE WAS RUDE. She actually told a poster that she would not answer a question, because that was free advice, the poster should buy the book. (I am paraphrasing) But she was evasive and the NO trimming thing (I mean not even for eveness)... Frankly her hair looked raggedy and dry. And that is ok... but if you're going to write a book, and hold yourself up as a role model.... well I expect more from you then.
Again sorry if I repeat or offend. Just my own opinion

hairfanatic

Henrilou is that you? /images/graemlins/grin.gif Welcome Back...we missed you! /images/graemlins/smile.gif You know I had to say that first. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I also remember when that happened because everyone kept questioning if it was really her or not. When we saw her uph email...we knew it was her. And...boy did she cause some rukus and proved what people had been saying.. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

azul11

o/t your hair is beautiful. it is so long and healthy. /images/graemlins/grin.gif God bless you all.

jrw

Here is my two cents on this whole thing since I have not visited this board in a couple of days.

As Adrienne said, people who are selling products as their reason for amazing hair growth usually have hidden agendas so I am always wary of that. The fact that she is selling a book as opposed to giving away tips and being more open raises a couple of flags.

Also, I have looked at her book as well as the hair lady's website. In MY opinion, Cathy Howse gave the same information you can find on any decent hair board. She did not have anything spectacular. Also, the fact that the Hair Lady has waist length hair and Cathy Howse does not gives the Hair Lady a little more legitimacy (IN MY OPINION).

Furthermore, I was stating my opinion. Last time I checked you could not police people's personal thoughts. You either take them or leave them. Unless you are personally gaining from Cathy Howse, I can't understand why you are getting hot and bothered by my opinion.

By the way, I don't even need to use either method. My hair is already past my waist using my own methods, which I share to those who ask for nothing.

henrilou

Awwww... Thanks. But you know I always take the opportunity to tell my sisters... that I do not "come from hair". And I did not buy a book. I weaved, greased and gave up curling and blow-drying. (I had to stop relaxing too cuz MY hair breaks off and gets thin spots where it's too weak, but I don't think that relaxing is bad for everyone. My hair is too dry and deteriorates with a perm...) I wash/press every three weeks and oil the ends every other day. I wrap everynight. And if it gets bouffy before I can wash/press I put it up and try not to think about it. I know nobody asked me but I like to remind people that "regular" (you know what I mean) black people can grow hair. Period.

azul11

i love hear success stories. sometimes you have to find things that work for you. i am still on that journey. i know i will make it once i think positive and not let others discourage me. i think it is always wonderful to see the hair of the ladies on the site to aspire to. God bless you all.

G

I think both have good ideas. Howse's moisturizer emphasis is a very good one. I don't like braids so I can't say I like the Crown and Glory but her hair grew much quicker than Howse.

pebbles

Ladies, this issue has already been settled. Mindymouse took the time to apologize to everyone on this thread that she may have offended, and the best thing to do is to accept that and move on. I do understand the need for people to say something in their defense, but it is also necessary to acknowledge that an apology has been made. As I stated before, I want to keep this thread open because I feel, negative or positive, we can all gain from the reviews of a product or method. Let's all move on from here.

Thanks

pebbles

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
so what you are saying is after a period of time the hair on your head is replaced by new hairs but not at the same time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif There are 3 stages of growth.

The anagen phase is the growing phase, the catagen phase is when the hair stops growing and the hair follicle stops producing hair, the telogen phase lasts about 3-4 months. At this time a new hair starts to grow in the hair follicle, pushing the old hair out and replacing it with a new one. The old hair does not start to regrow. That's the hair that sheds when you comb or wash your hair.

The anagen phase is genetically determined. The time that anagen lasts determines in all of us how long our hair can grow. So the longer the anagen phase on an individual, the longer their hair can grow before it sheds naturally. Because only about 10-18 percent of the total hairs on our heads are in the telogen phase at any given time, that's how come we don't all go bald at once.

Remember that the hair is constantly growing. You will need to relax, but you just are not aware of the telogen phase that is also taking place on your head. So though we constantly have to do touch-ups because we are experiencing growth, we are also shedding old hair at the same time. Hope that explanation wasn't too technical. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MSCHICHI

Henrilou,

I have been following the same regime as you, wash and press every few weeks, wrapping at night, oiling (up here its so dry and cold I have to oil it every night!) I then put it in a bun everyday.

I must say that my hair has looked awesome! It just took me a while to get the pressing thing down again. Thank you for all the tips! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

I don't ever remember posting to you JRW..
How do you come out the cuts, with da drama??? LOL

Just have to have a say? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I went back and found I did post to you, but just asked a simple question. Sorry

G

Don't feel bad. I did the same thing the first time I went to that site

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
Hi Londongirl3,
Thanks for the little humor, maybe 667 will make way for peace on this thread. Ladies, let's take it easy. I'm sure no harm was intended on both sides of the debate. We all get passionate from time to time but hey what's life without passion? /images/graemlins/lick.gif

hada

Hi MIndy Mouse
I don't think the 11 years was about cycles. The thing is..it should not have take 11 years for the growth that she got. But from other lady, if you do things correctly for your hair and clip the ends and leave italone, she got the growth for her cycle in two years. From shoulder to waist length.
/images/graemlins/smile.gif
hada

G

Hi, Hada /images/graemlins/wave.gif

I'm not sure I understand your comment. It has been established that it did not take 11 years to reach her growth.

Some people think after 11 years she should be able to walk on her hair, that's what the cycles was about.

Integrity

lets not forget genetics either, we cannot compare regimens (to a limited extent) based on hair growth cos our genes have the final say after all. so what if hair lady has longer hair than cathy. it doesnt matter! both women has managed to grow longer hair than most balck people have done in the past. also i think cathy only takes iron and zinc plus a multivitamin whereas hair lady takes a whole range....2 cents

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I see what you're saying. Although I don't think it took Howse 11-14 yrs. to go from point A to where she is now, her growth seems to be slower than than Carolyn Gray's, Robin the Hair Lady and our own Adrienne and Caramela.
I'm not hating--my hair grows slowly too. Slow growth/slow growth cycle--I get confused... I think I'm in a 'growth' phase now and I'm running with it!

pebbles

we cannot compare regimens (to a limited extent) based on hair growth cos our genes have the final say after all. so what if hair lady has longer hair than cathy. it doesnt matter! both women has managed to grow longer hair than most balck people have done in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. They have both achieved long hair in their own way, and that's great. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pebbles

I think I'm in a 'growth' phase now and I'm running with it!

[/ QUOTE ] /images/graemlins/clap.gif That's excellent sassygirl125!! I love to hear great reports like that! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

I had braids, and CANNOT do it! I had more breakage, and then my hair turned out shorter than it was before. No way! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

G

I'm with you on the Braids Karonica, I can't sit that long puttin em IN or taking them out and your right if not done right your hair will break.

alexa

Sorry, I am new but . . .

I know I may be slightly out of line here, as the new girl, but I am a big skeptic when it comes to hair. I am not saying Cathy or the Hair Lady is better, but I have learned to believe only half of what I see. I used to be one of those people who would try every supplement and hair product that promised growth--fast, until I just took a deep breath and realized the only think that had changed was that I had less money in my pocket.

The average person (who does not take supplements) can grow about 6 inches of hair a year. Cathy says this, I know, but it is actually a medical fact. When I saw the Hair Lady's photos, it kind of struck me as strange that she could get about 2 feet of hair in 2 years. (I am not saying this is bad, at all--it's actually excellent!) Actually, my own hair grows about 1 inch per month without supplements, and I think it's abnormal--but good.

In my line of work, research and the presentation of it are very important. Although not complete, Cathy's research was presented slightly better than the Hair Lady's. The website the Hair Lady had left me saying, "but why does this work? but why should I use these specific products for my hair? what exactly are they doing to make it grow?"
I wanted to know more about what she was doing for her hair! I think Hair Lady's site could be better if she backed up her techniques a little more. (I know, I know, her hair is proof enough for many of us, but still the research will benefit her when she becomes more successful).

Also, the hair industry has taught me that shiny, trimmed hair means that it is healthy. Man, I've been there and done that, and I can say that it's not necessarily true. In Cathy's picture, I don't think she trimmed or oiled it because she wanted to prove that her hair was growing and that you don't have to trim it or oil it to death to make it grow.

I also think the difference in growth periods between Cathy Howse and the Hair Lady has to do with who was experimenting with their natural hair and how long they were doing it. During those those 1987-1989 photos, Cathy was in a major state of trial and error, so there wasn't much growth happening. I think the Hair Lady must have read a book or joined a hair discussion board earlier on becuase all of her bad hair habits seemed to suddenly change.

Also, I happen to have some inside information that Wanakee, another woman who is compared to Cathy, actually attended one of Cathy's hair seminars and asked about hair trimming and developed her product line, partially based on her findings. I know it sounds strange, but then I began to understand why Cathy is kind of hostile at the mention of Wanakee. Also, to note, Cathy's first book came out in 1989, Wanakee's products were launched in the mid 90s. Could be coincidence, but in the business world, it's all about competition. I think that Cathy's major problem is that she is not a very good salesperson. The first think you are taught is to be plesant. I think her anger at the hair industry has clearly come out in her website.

pebbles

Re: Sorry, I am new but . . .

I think that Cathy's major problem is that she is not a very good salesperson. The first think you are taught is to be plesant. I think her anger at the hair industry has clearly come out in her website.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Alexa,

Are you new? Welcome to the board! /images/graemlins/smile.gif You hit Cathy's problem dead on. I am a big fan of Cathy Howe's and her methodology. It's worked wonders for me, so I'm gratefull. I do believe that her anger is very evident on her website and in her responses to questions. My honest opinion is that it is the #1 turn-off for many women who would otherwise have given her products a try. That's really too bad because she really knows what she's talking about. /images/graemlins/look.gif

Faith

Re: Sorry, I am new but . . .

Welcome Alexa. I saw in your signature that you have 20" of hair from root to tip. And I see you 're 4a/b as well, do you have any pics? /images/graemlins/smile.gif