PROTEIN IS MY FRIEND

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndianAngel22

I'm IN! Please add me to this challenge. I just decided to do this on my own because I realized my hair needs it! So this will help me remember to wash every week. I use

UBH Conditioner
Motions CPR
Hair Mayo

Is Organic Root Stimulator's Replinishing pack NOT a protein conditioner?

Patricia

OMG, my hair :heart2: Aphogee! I saw Ateya's vids on youtube, so I started using Apoghee and now my hair has much bounce and swaaaaang! I've been after the "swang" for YEARS and I finally have it thanks to light protein :yay:
So good to hear! I bought the green tea keratin reconstructor and absolutely loved how my hair felt. I got to give the shampoo another chance cause I used it after I neutralized and didnt like it. SO YOU JOINING US?

Patricia

My hair was breaking and shedding and I was about to go and have my neck lenght/ top of shoulders hair cut all off. Not to gain attention, but I was just that frustrated. I am currently seven weeks post and I am learning to deal with my NG. Last night I decided I am going to win this battle cuz a sister was about to relax or chop it off. It was late, I had to go to work the next day, and I did't have any Aphogee Two step or Nexxus Emergencee. I used a good ol' egg mixed with Pantene R&N Deep mask and coconut/olive oils. My hair was really hard afterwards; I mean I really had to let my moisturizing condish and some Aussie moist sit on hair to regain some slip. Afterwards I applied HE LTR and sealed with jojoba oil and wrapped my hair. This morning after unwrapping my hair, I used hot rollers and was so pleased with the shine and strength. Even my Dh commented on the shine in my hair.
SO WHAT DO YOU USE ON A REGULAR BASIS? I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL . I CUT MY HAIR SEVERAL TIMES CAUSE IT WAS GROWING BACK THIN. HAS YOUR HAIR BEEN BREAKING A LONG TIME? GOOD TO HEAR YOUR HAIR CAME OUT FINE!:yep:

Patricia

AGAIN, PROTEIN IS MY FRIEND. I COULDN'T WAIT TO WASH ANYMORE LOL...so i did, anddddddd, i deep conditioned with silk elements hair mayo repair.....to correct a problem with OVERMOISTURIZING......I LOVEEEEEEEEE MY HAIR AGAIN!

protein, when coupled with a good moisturizing conditioner is everyone's friend :)
I KNOW THATS RIGHT. SPEAK THE TRUTH MAHOGANY! I KNOW YOU FIGURED THIS CHALLENGE WAS ABOUT TO HAPPEN! SOOOOOO U IN? YOU GOT YOUR BALANCE DOWN TO A TEE

Patricia

I'm IN! Please add me to this challenge. I just decided to do this on my own because I realized my hair needs it! So this will help me remember to wash every week. I use

UBH Conditioner
Motions CPR
Hair Mayo

Is Organic Root Stimulator's Replinishing pack NOT a protein conditioner?
OK WILL DO! HMMMM ORS REPLINSHING DO HAVE A VERY SMALL AMOUNT OF PROTEIN IN IT, BUT ITS MORE MOISTURE. HOW HAS YOUR HAIR BEEN DOING LATELY?

IndianAngel22

OK WILL DO! HMMMM ORS REPLINSHING DO HAVE A VERY SMALL AMOUNT OF PROTEIN IN IT, BUT ITS MORE MOISTURE. HOW HAS YOUR HAIR BEEN DOING LATELY?

It's been doing ok but I still don't have that "swang" that I used to have. I think I'm going to adopt Ateyaaa's regimen with the Aphogee products and see how my hair does. I have protein conditioners now that I'm useing but I dont' think they're doing the job, such as MOtions CPR... I don't think it's happening. I like the way UBH smells and feels but it's so dang expensive. So I think her regimen might help me with all the protein she uses.

Patricia

It's been doing ok but I still don't have that "swang" that I used to have. I think I'm going to adopt Ateyaaa's regimen with the Aphogee products and see how my hair does. I have protein conditioners now that I'm useing but I dont' think they're doing the job, such as MOtions CPR... I don't think it's happening. I like the way UBH smells and feels but it's so dang expensive. So I think her regimen might help me with all the protein she uses.
I couldn't resist buying aphogee green tea. I love it. Yeah ateyaaa got that swang be careful she use a whole lot of protein. Keep us posted what you using. I heard UBH was a good product too! You will get it real soon. Just be patient. its coming. :yep:Check in to rate your hair weekly after you DC.

blackpearl81

I'm in! My hair soaks up moisture and becomes spongy often. I'm very familiar with the old mayo and egg mixture (which actually works for me:grin:), but this weekend I'm going to try the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor and planning on purchasing Motions CPR or Joico K-Pak.

**I've been using sebastion Potion 9 on and off and it doesn't seem very effective. Maybe I'm using it the wrong way :ohwell:

Patricia

I'm in! My hair soaks up moisture and becomes spongy often. I'm very familiar with the old mayo and egg mixture (which actually works for me:grin:), but this weekend I'm going to try the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor and planning on purchasing Motions CPR or Joico K-Pak.

**I've been using sebastion Potion 9 on and off and it doesn't seem very effective. Maybe I'm using it the wrong way :ohwell:
Ok will do! keep us posted weekly on how your hair doing. Let us know how the aphogee works out!:yep:

LostInAdream

Count me in:grin:. I have nexxus emergencee (biweekly), joico k-pak deep penetrating reconstructing conditioner(weekly), sebastian potion 9(not sure yet) and mega tek(every other day)

Patricia

Count me in:grin:. I have nexxus emergencee (biweekly), joico k-pak deep penetrating reconstructing conditioner(weekly), sebastian potion 9(not sure yet) and mega tek(every other day)
SURE WILL! HOW IS THE PRODUCTS WORKING FOR YOU? DON'T FORGET TO CK IN WEEKLY TO RATE YOUR HAIR:yep:

tgrowe

SO WHAT DO YOU USE ON A REGULAR BASIS? I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL . I CUT MY HAIR SEVERAL TIMES CAUSE IT WAS GROWING BACK THIN. HAS YOUR HAIR BEEN BREAKING A LONG TIME? GOOD TO HEAR YOUR HAIR CAME OUT FINE!:yep:

My hair has been breaking since maybe June 2008. I tried leaving my hair alone by getting braids but it didn't help. Plus I didn't know anything about LHCF. Finally I got it layered in November since I did not want a major cut and lose my length. I remember the same thing happened in 2006 after I had my baby. I had her in January and by June my shoulder length was breaking off from my nape up to the crown of my head. Back then I knew nothing of LHCF or healthy hair practices so I did what I did and my hair did what it does and there you go, I ended up getting cut OFF! I mean it was shorter than Halle Berry's pixie cut. Ughh!

Up until now I was using the Aphogee Two minute and the Keratin Green tea but it was not doing it for me. I decided to use the egg mixture since I remember the last time I used it my hair was hard. I use HE LTR to moisturize and jojoba or coconut oil to seal everyday and it works. My hair sheds and breaks less unless I manipulate it harshly.

Sugarhoneyicetea

I'm in! This is so funny this challenge is up because yesterday I realized all of my products centered around moisture and I didn't think I had any products for protein. I just came on the board to see what products are good for protein and found this post..right on time! Sure enough I don't have any of those products so I'm going to pick one up and try late next week. Great challenge thanks for starting this one!

Aggie

I will relaxing my next Sunday at exactly 12 weeks post and treated my hair with some Aphogee 2 Step protein treatment mixed with some Creme of Nature Reconstructor until dry and hard for added strength for my upcoming relaxer. Now I'm sitting with Kenra MC, Biolage Hydratherapie and a teaspoon of salt mixture on my hair as a DC for about 45 minutes. I can't wait to see how my hair is going to come out.

As a side note:
When I was washing out the Aphogee 2 step and CON reconstructor mix, I noticed that my new growth wasn't hard as it usually was following the 2 step Aphogee by itself. I felt by mixing it with my CON reconstructor I had better softening results with it. I couldn't help but touch the new growth and felt I could actually stretch my relaxer another 3 or 4 weeks at least, but I am on a time schedule that requires a relaxer next week:yep:.

pear

Checking in for the week (washed last night):

WHAT TYPE OF PROTEIN YOU USE? Joico cuticle sealer followed by Joico Liquid Reconstructor (leave-in)

HOW YOUR HAIR FEEL ON A SCALE FROM 1-10? 7/8

WHAT CHANGES CAN BE MADE TO ACHIEVE A 10? this is only week 1 of me boosting my protein use so hopefully after a few weeks I will achieve a 10

Specifics:
  • Pre-poo (Creme of Nature nourishing conditioner + coconut oil)
  • Shampoo (Kerastasse Bain 3 for extra dry/damaged hair)
  • Joico cuticle sealer (left on for 5 minutes per instructions)
  • Joico liquid reconstructor (leave in)
  • Redken Butter Treat (leave in)
  • Fantasia heat protectant serum
  • Rollerset, dryed under Pibbs and wrap using Saran wrap technique
This was my first time using the Joico cuticle sealer and once I rinsed it out my hair did feel really silky (the true test however is how it acts in a couple of weeks since this was my first wash post-relaxer). I also tried the Joico liquid reconstructor for the first time and I must say that I am pleased with the fact that it didn't leave my hair hard :drunk:. All in all my hair did feel a bit stronger. I still had a few broken hairs in the end but that is hard for me to avoid between the detangling, roller setting and wrapping.

Muse

WHAT TYPE OF PROTEIN YOU USE? Joico cuticle sealer followed by Joico Liquid Reconstructor (leave-in)

WHAT CHANGES CAN BE MADE TO ACHIEVE A 10? this is only week 1 of me boosting my protein use so hopefully after a few weeks I will achieve a 10

Specifics:
This was my first time using the Joico cuticle sealer and once I rinsed it out my hair did feel really silky (the true test however is how it acts in a couple of weeks since this was my first wash post-relaxer). I also tried the Joico liquid reconstructor for the first time and I must say that I am pleased with the fact that it didn't leave my hair hard :drunk:. All in all my hair did feel a bit stronger. I still had a few broken hairs in the end but that is hard for me to avoid between the detangling, roller setting and wrapping.

Wow I was wondering how that cuticle sealer worked. I was so close to getting it but I decided not to because I thought it was for people who relax or color. Thanks for the review!:yep:

Muse

Hey ladies I was reading Cathy Howse's website and she says that there is no such thing as protein overload. If we experience brittle breaking hair it's because our moisturizers need to be reexamined. I first heard Artemis mention this in another thread and it makes since to me. CH said a lot of people end up with dry hair after a protein treatment because they DC after with a cond. with protein in it or their leave in will have protein causing dryness or their DC/leave in may not have protein but it's just not sufficient enough for after protein treatments. Sometimes a moisturizer will work for us normally but after we do a protein treatment it may not work and perhaps we just need something heavier to use after protein treatments.

She did plug her moisturizing cream lotion and said she developed it with protein treatments in mind as well because you need something that delivers top moisturization after a treatment. Any thoughts on this idea that there is no such thing as protein overload?

Hey all I just bought the Joico K-Pak and was surprised they had it at my JCpenny hair salon just a block away! I was actually planning to travel 45min just for it but you can't believe how happy I was when I discovered it was only 5 min away! I also have the Aphogee 2min reconstructor and its been doing great for my hair but I wanted to know which of the two will thicken the hair strand from fine to thick? I haven't used the Aphogee yet when my hair went thin recently due to 5 days of using heat trying to find the right protein/moisture regime... but I heard that K-Pak can thicken the hair back to normal... Anyone know?

pear

Wow I was wondering how that cuticle sealer worked. I was so close to getting it but I decided not to because I thought it was for people who relax or color. Thanks for the review!:yep:

I was pleasantly surprised because I was prepared to come out of this experience with hard hair. I really felt like it was doing something (not sure how to describe it) but I felt a bit of a tingling sensation and the silkiness of my hair as I was rinsing it out was definitely unexpected. The tingling however could be however due to the fact that my hair was relaxed on Tuesday so my scalp my be a bit sensitive right now.

I think that the trick for me is figuring out if this is something that I can safely use once a week to build strength of my hair but not overload my hair with protein. I will definitely have to work on the protein/moisture balance thing.

pear

Add me too, please!

shampoos:
Lanza healing strength
Lanza healing moisture

conditioners:
Lanza healing strength
Lanza healing moisture
Colorful neutral protein filler
Designer Touch equilibrium moisture balance

Tishee I would love to hear your review of the Lanza line. I know that ShiShiPooPoo uses and loves this line of products so I was talking to her about it. I am definitely interested in the moisture line for balance since I have upped my protein.

Patricia

I'm in! This is so funny this challenge is up because yesterday I realized all of my products centered around moisture and I didn't think I had any products for protein. I just came on the board to see what products are good for protein and found this post..right on time! Sure enough I don't have any of those products so I'm going to pick one up and try late next week. Great challenge thanks for starting this one!
OK! SOUNDS LIKE THIS IS RIGHT ON TIME FOR YOU. KEEP US UPDATED ON YOUR HAIR EXPERIENCE. LET US KNOW WHAT PRODUCTS YOU TRY!:yep: LADIES ON BOARD KNOWS A WHOLE LOT ABOUT HEALTHY HAIR. ANY QUESTIONS DON'T HESITATE TO ASK!

Patricia

I will relaxing my next Sunday at exactly 12 weeks post and treated my hair with some Aphogee 2 Step protein treatment mixed with some Creme of Nature Reconstructor until dry and hard for added strength for my upcoming relaxer. Now I'm sitting with Kenra MC, Biolage Hydratherapie and a teaspoon of salt mixture on my hair as a DC for about 45 minutes. I can't wait to see how my hair is going to come out.

As a side note:
When I was washing out the Aphogee 2 step and CON reconstructor mix, I noticed that my new growth wasn't hard as it usually was following the 2 step Aphogee by itself. I felt by mixing it with my CON reconstructor I had better softening results with it. I couldn't help but touch the new growth and felt I could actually stretch my relaxer another 3 or 4 weeks at least, but I am on a time schedule that requires a relaxer next week:yep:.
OH YES I WAS HOPING YOU TRIED IT! SOUNDS LIKE YOU MAY HAVE STARTED A NEW TREND. PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW IT WORKED OUT. :woot:

Patricia

Specifics:
TRYING TO STOP BUYING PRODUCTS BUT GIRL YOU BOUT TO MAKE ME GO GET SOME JOICO LEAVE IN, CUTICLE SEALER, AND IVE ALSO BEEN CRAVING REDKEN BUTTER TREAT. SOUND LIKE YOU DID GOOD THIS WEEK. :circle:

supermodelsonya

Glad you posted this because my ends were suffering something terrible listening to moisture moisture moisture! My ends were literally breaking off in the sink! I was about to call the doctor, when I just did a protein treatment and it pretty much stopped the breakage in its tracks!

Patricia

Hey ladies I was reading Cathy Howse's website and she says that there is no such thing as protein overload. If we experience brittle breaking hair it's because our moisturizers need to be reexamined. I first heard Artemis mention this in another thread and it makes since to me. CH said a lot of people end up with dry hair after a protein treatment because they DC after with a cond. with protein in it or their leave in will have protein causing dryness or their DC/leave in may not have protein but it's just not sufficient enough for after protein treatments. Sometimes a moisturizer will work for us normally but after we do a protein treatment it may not work and perhaps we just need something heavier to use after protein treatments.

She did plug her moisturizing cream lotion and said she developed it with protein treatments in mind as well because you need something that delivers top moisturization after a treatment. Any thoughts on this idea that there is no such thing as protein overload?
I'm not sure. I'm still learning myself. I think it may be true if Artemis think so . :yep::yep:She is full of good information.

Status
Not open for further replies.