Relaxed Hair Thread

Britt

Re: Relaxed Hair THREAD!!

@Brittster are u thinking of using lye next time?

HijabiFlygirl, yep! I used Lye the last two times. The first time I used Silk Elements and I liked it b/c after like 2 washes my hair still felt really full and healthy. The second time, I used Hawaiian Silky lye and that got my hair bone straight which I didn't like at all. I might try a new stylist next time for my relaxers, so I'll see which one she'll use, but I'll make sure it's a lye relaxer. My hair has thinned out a bit too much.

Your Cheeziness

I relaxed Friday. It was my first stretch from being natural for 10 months. I stretched for 12 weeks and relax with Mizani Sensitive Scalp done by my stylist.

I use heat with every wash every 7-10 days. My ends are great and my stylist hasn't mentioned a trim since my haircut about 4 months ago. But, I do believe in full, healthy ends over length. I'm all about health and aesthetics. :yep:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL

ok I need help.

I already asked someone and maybe I can get some more input.

I keep getting one side underprocessed.

I smooth each side exactly the same but the side I finish smoothing on always looks super thick by week 2. It is quite frustrating to say the least.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL

Myjourney2009 what type of relaxer are you using and how long do you leave it on to process?

Sent from my Comet

sunnieb

I use Mizani BB super lye in the back.

I dont time it I rinse when I am done smoothing. Since I prepart I am able to move quickly. It takes me about 8-10 mins to do everything now that I prepart. When I wasnt pre-parting it took about 20-25 min. It comes out the same way each time

Here is my process for the back because it is incredibly dense. The front comes out fine.

I part down the middle and
on the right quad I apply on the top and underside of each part that is maybe 1/2 inch maybe a bit larger thick. I put enough too I am not heavy handed but I also dont skimp

Then I apply the same way on the left quad. I then start smoothing the left quad from the crown on top and underside of the parts going down to almost the nape. I repeat this process 1 more time on the left quad.

I then go back to the right side and do the same smoothing.I then run the comb through the NG 1x only on the top side of each part.

I go back to the left quad and comb the NG 1x

I then do my nape smooth 1x and then I rinse immediately.

The side that has been touched last is always much more under processed. The right side looks exactly like I want it to

My left side is much thicker than my right. It is not breaking though.

I just want an even process all the way around.

I am not relaxed bone straight but am not the so called texlax and that is how I want it.
I appreciate your help with this

Last edited:

GraceV

@Myjourney2009 *How do you wash out you relaxer, bent forward or standing? If bending forward then my process might help*

You might want to try timing each section. Here's why: since you do the front first the relaxer stays longer, and according to you the hair turns out great. The last section gets the relaxer for the shortest duration and thus gets underprocessed.

This is what I do to avoid this issue: I start my relaxer process in front btw (like you described). I start timing from when I put the relaxer on the 1st frontal quad. I do some preliminary smoothing on that section (~ 10 seconds just to make sure the relaxer is evenly spead) and move to the other side and repeat.

Then I do the back quad of the part I started with (so if I did the right frontal quad first, I would do the right back quad before the left), smooth x 10seconds, and move to my 4th section.

My priority is to get relaxer on all the quads ASAP. Smoothing is secondary.

By the time I return to my first quad, I really don't need to do much smoothing, but I do it anyway. While I'm smoothing the front, the back at least has relaxer on it so it's undergoing some processing. Igo really fast, smooth the rest of the sections (10 seconds). Usually I'm done in about 12-15 minutes. PLEASE NOTE: that I am texlaxed and add quite a bit of olive oil to my relaxer so it slows down the relaxer's activity.

HERE's why I time and what makes my process work for me. I rinse the sections based on when they first got the relaxer on them. So if for example there was a 1 minute lapse between when I started with section 1 to when I started with section 2, by the time I'm done rinsing out section 1, section 2 has gotten that extra time of processing. If there was a 3 minute lapse between section 1 and 3, by the time I reach section 2, it's gotten that extra minute. My last section has now had just about equal time with the first section. I rinse that section last.

It evens out since section 4 has gotten about the same relaxer time as section 1, just in the reverse.

I hope my explanation wasn't too confusing.

Last edited:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL

GraceV

Your response was not confusing.

I do the half half method so the front is done first, rinsed..... I put a cap on

then I proceed to do the back

Everything I wrote is the strictly for the back section.

I think I need to the right quad and then allow extra processing time for the left quad.

The reason I started smoothing the left quad first is because the right side was getting processed ok.

There is no more than a minute lapse from when I rinse the right quad to when I rinse the left quad.

I think I am going to time so that I ensure both sections get equal processing time.

Last edited:

sunnieb

Myjourney2009 looks like you are doing everything right. As long as you are generous with the relaxer cream and start timing the process time, it should make a difference.

I smooth for 10-12 minutes after application because my newgrowth is very dense as well.

Let us know how your next relaxer turns out.

Sent from my Comet

sunnieb

taz007 yes I do want to see it! Have you seen the crazy pics I posted in there? :lol:

If every relaxed head posted one picture a week that would be awesome! I need some styling ideas dangit!

Sent from my Comet

taz007

I think I will relax my hair tonight, take some pics tomorrow and place it in the "Every Day hair" thread. Even though it will definitely NOT be my every day style :look:

golden_goddess

I have a situation...when I rollerset my hair (to wear as a wrap) my ends don't dry all the way and end up becoming frizzy. After an 1hr under the dryer, about 97% of my hair is dry. It's just a couple of pieces of which the ends aren't completely dry. Does anyone know how to avoid having his happen?
Is there a way to get the ends to dry quicker?

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL

I have a situation...when I rollerset my hair (to wear as a wrap) my ends don't dry all the way and end up becoming frizzy. After an 1hr under the dryer, about 97% of my hair is dry. It's just a couple of pieces of which the ends aren't completely dry. Does anyone know how to avoid having his happen?

You need to stay under longer. Give it at least and hr and a half to dry completely.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!

I think I will relax my hair tonight, take some pics tomorrow and place it in the "Every Day hair" thread. Even though it will definitely NOT be my every day style :look:

I'm looking forward to seeing your pics in the thread, taz007. You have beautiful hair! :yep:

golden_goddess

Myjourney2009 That's what I normally do, but it seems like the hair that is already dry becomes dried out from overdrying it. So I was wondering if anyone had learned any tricks to get the ends to dry faster.

Last edited:

Your Cheeziness

Can you make smaller sections when you rollerset. Even just reducing the amount of hair on the roller slightly makes a big difference in dry time.

kismettt

*please don't quote*
:)

my room is a mess of curlers & pins, and i'm so mad, i'm not going to pick it up lol

Last edited: