Relaxed Hair Thread

sunnieb

Breakage stopped! :grin:

Nexxus Emergencee did it's job and I have zero breakage again. I tested my hair by lightly combing it yesterday over my bathroom sink - sprinkles of breakage everywhere. :(

This morning - ZERO! :toocool:

So, I lightly moisturized this morning with Carrot Oil, NTM, and Castor Oil to seal. Plan to cowash Wednesday with WEN and dc Friday with honey.

To help with hair growth from the inside, I drink 100 oz of water daily and dh and I have been meeting with a dietitian to help us with a realistic eating plan. We are kinda mixing it in with our holiday eating, but it's gonna be ON January 2nd! :)

quirkydimples

Is it silly that when I think about going natural again, the only reason is so that I’m not an old woman having to deal with relaxing my hair?

Although at a certain point (in my 70s or 80s) I’ll return to my favorite hairstyle ever: a bald fade.

And besides...I like my hair straight and I sweat like a morbidly obese man, so...reversion. :badidea:

Sosoothing

Is it silly that when I think about going natural again, the only reason is so that I’m not an old woman having to deal with relaxing my hair?

Although at a certain point (in my 70s or 80s) I’ll return to my favorite hairstyle ever: a bald fade.

And besides...I like my hair straight and I sweat like a morbidly obese man, so...reversion. :badidea:

I don't think so. This is my reasoning too.

sunnieb

Not at all!

My only thing is that I don't plan to deal with my hair when I'm that old. I'm going to be one of those old ladies with a standing weekly appointment. So really, if I'm still relaxed, it won't make much difference, My stylist will be dealing with it! :)

Evolving78

My hair today looks weighed down (freshly relaxed + moisturizer/oil), but I don't care. It's still in my head and not breaking. I'll find styles that make it look decent.

Like @shortdub78, I ain't cutting crap. Other than my normal trims, I'm keeping every strand I can! :drunk:
View attachment 419113
It looks good! I wouldn’t cut it! My hair turned out so nice, and her telling me I needed to cut it just made me feel so defeated at first, so I’m like nope! I know I can get my hair on my own back on track!

Last edited:

LushLox

Finally got my products today! I will use them (DE products) for my next wash. I plan on washing and roller setting my hair Saturday. I’m going to try the weekly route.

Are you still going to rollerset when you're 8+ weeks post? That's when it starts to get difficult, although I'm still okay at that stage really, 10 weeks is challenging. I have to stop around the 12 week stage.

Evolving78

Are you still going to rollerset when you're 8+ weeks post? That's when it starts to get difficult, although I'm still okay at that stage really, 10 weeks is challenging. I have to stop around the 12 week stage.
I’m going for 8-10 weeks. I have a nice amount of new growth now. I may just use bigger rollers. That’s why I had to revamp the products and methods I was using. That’s another reason why I’m cutting down on washing my hair, plus I need to see how effective these products will work during the week. No bunch of oils and moisturizers too. I may lightly spray my hair with my leave-in 2-3 a week. Drying my hair in a set state is the most important thing to locking in moisture right now.

I’m really getting back into understanding the concept of shampooing, what to use, and what it the best method for each type of shampoo.

LushLox

I’m going for 8-10 weeks. I have a nice amount of new growth now. I may just use bigger rollers. That’s why I had to revamp the products and methods I was using. That’s another reason why I’m cutting down on washing my hair, plus I need to see how effective these products will work during the week. No bunch of oils and moisturizers too. I may lightly spray my hair with my leave-in 2-3 a week. Drying my hair in a set state is the most important thing to locking in moisture right now.

I’m really getting back into understanding the concept of shampooing, what to use, and what it the best method for each type of shampoo.

That's the thing about this hair game, you don't ever stop learning about your hair and you can't get complacent. I never used to use a spray leave in and now I've finally realised that it's absolutely essential for me, I'm not sure how I coped without it.

Re natural hair products. Yeah I learned the hard way with that; some of them work beautifully but others...

It's okay though, I just pass them onto my kids if I don't like them.

ClassyJSP

Finally had my hair relaxed late last night, I had an unreal amount of new growth and certain parts started to sting sooner than others. I'm going to hold off on getting a trim for the moment however I am grazing BSL. This week I think I'm going to just wear my hair up in a cute bun with my ends tucked away.

Evolving78

Finally had my hair relaxed late last night, I had an unreal amount of new growth and certain parts started to sting sooner than others. I'm going to hold off on getting a trim for the moment however I am grazing BSL. This week I think I'm going to just wear my hair up in a cute bun with my ends tucked away.
Congrats on making it to BSL. How far along were you when you stretched?

Last edited:

Evolving78

That's the thing about this hair game, you don't ever stop learning about your hair and you can't get complacent. I never used to use a spray leave in and now I've finally realised that it's absolutely essential for me, I'm not sure how I coped without it.

Re natural hair products. Yeah I learned the hard way with that; some of them work beautifully but others...

It's okay though, I just pass them onto my kids if I don't like them.
I give products to my neighbor! Lol but yeah if it’s a shampoo and dc o don’t like, it becomes the family shampoo! Lol

Bad&Bougee

I am seriously contemplating finding a stylist to relax my hair in a few weeks. My hair hasn't been this healthy in years (relaxed) and I don't want to undo it all by giving myself bad relaxers. I don't know why I'm suddenly petrified. It's hard finding a good stylist too. Sometimes they do worse than folks who aren't licensed. IDK.

Evolving78

I am seriously contemplating finding a stylist to relax my hair in a few weeks. My hair hasn't been this healthy in years (relaxed) and I don't want to undo it all by giving myself bad relaxers. I don't know why I'm suddenly petrified. It's hard finding a good stylist too. Sometimes they do worse than folks who aren't licensed. IDK.
I went to a stylist and she scared the mess out of me! Lol but I know she knows her stuff, she was just being a little too drastic for me. I’m still considering going to someone to get my touch up, but my reasons for not going maybe different from yours. I need to build my hair up to be able to withstand someone else, who isn’t going to be as gentle and cautious as I am.

Like somebody with jacked up ends can’t really withstand somebody coming in and trying to comb through that. It’s hard to comb through split ends and not cause more breakage.

LushLox

I went to a stylist and she scared the mess out of me! Lol but I know she knows her stuff, she was just being a little too drastic for me. I’m still considering going to someone to get my touch up, but my reasons for not going maybe different from yours. I need to build my hair up to be able to withstand someone else, who isn’t going to be as gentle and cautious as I am.

Like somebody with jacked up ends can’t really withstand somebody coming in and trying to comb through that. It’s hard to comb through split ends and not cause more breakage.

:lachen: I’m not sure why that made me laugh but that sentence alone scares me, the thought of going to a stylist just worries me.

I contemplate going to a stylist regularly but no matter how well you prep your hair, no matter how well detangled it is, they are always so rough. And I always end up with over processed hair and I’m not about that anymore.

I’ve been considering going to one of the posh black salons in central London but I doubt they’ll be any different bar getting a cup of tea.

Bad&Bougee

My thoughts exactly. However, I can never build my hair up enough to withstand the torture of a stylist. Especially since my hair is used to being babied. I'm still thinking on it though.

Bad&Bougee

:lachen: I’m not sure why that made me laugh but that sentence alone scares me, the thought of going to a stylist just worries me.

I contemplate going to a stylist regularly but no matter how well you prep your hair, no matter how well detangled it is, they are always so rough. And I always end up with over processed hair and I’m not about that anymore.

I’ve been considering going to one of the posh black salons in central London but I doubt they’ll be any different bar getting a cup of tea.

IDK, a posh salon might do the trick. Go in and observe one day and see what you think.

Evolving78

My thoughts exactly. However, I can never build my hair up enough to withstand the torture of a stylist. Especially since my hair is used to being babied. I'm still thinking on it though.
I normally don’t have an issue with a stylist and my hair, but I know I have done a lot harsh things to my hair, so my hair is very fragile. I have only dealt with two people in my hair that have been totally disrespectful, but they didn’t have a hairline and will throw weave on in a heartbeat.

Is your hair fine, or in a weakened state?

Bad&Bougee

I normally don’t have an issue with a stylist and my hair, but I know I have done a lot harsh things to my hair, so my hair is very fragile. I have only dealt with two people in my hair that have been totally disrespectful, but they didn’t have a hairline and will throw weave on in a heartbeat.

Is your hair fine, or in a weakened state?

Actually, my hair is very healthy. It tangles like the devil but it is very healthy and strong. And letting a heavy handed, uncaring stylist perform a chemical service can undo my months of hard work.

How were the two stylist disrespectful to your hair - did you let them know? There are 10 times as many stylist as there were 10 years ago but it is 10 times as hard to find a good one.

Evolving78

Actually, my hair is very healthy. It tangles like the devil but it is very healthy and strong. And letting a heavy handed, uncaring stylist perform a chemical service can undo my months of hard work.

How were the two stylist disrespectful to your hair - did you let them know? There are 10 times as many stylist as there were 10 years ago but it is 10 times as hard to find a good one.
One was a stylist that could style her butt off, but she has bad hair care practices. The other was a braider. Both of them like to style their hair in tight hairstyles. I knew what to expect, but I was desperate to get my hair done.

But besides those two people, I vet a stylist and ask a ton of questions. I’m a skincare therapist, and have went to school for cosmetology, and have been an assistant, so I know what to ask. Some think my questions are funny, since most don’t even do consultations, and aren’t expected to give them. Nobody should do a chemical service to you the first time you are in their chair. They should ask a bunch of questions, have you fill out a form, then at least wash and give you a proper treatment based off of the consultation and the hair assessment. This is learned in Cosmo school. It’s easier to get away with not doing it when it comes to hair, but not when it comes to the face. I can’t put a cleansing product on your face, and I don’t know anything about you, or your skin, your health, your lifestyle, etc.

There is one stylist that is on YouTube that always has a client needing a major haircut. I don’t like how she combs their hair. Like i would cut them curly, or in twists just to get rid of the splits at the very end to be able to comb their hair without ripping through it.

Evolving78

I like this carrot cream. I will not be using pin curls for tying my hair up at night. I will just use flexi rods and satin sponge rollers.
That Mizani 25 leave-in is alright with me! I like it better than any leave-in spray I have used within the last 3-4 years. And I have a lot of them.

Last edited:

Evolving78

@shortdub78 did you post a list of products you ordered? What's the Post #?
I got Design Essentials
Honey Creme Moisture Retention shampoo
DE Almond Butter Express conditioner
DE reconstructor (forgot the name)

Elucence MB shampoo and conditioner
ELucence Acidify shampoo
Elucence extended moisture reconstructor

I also picked up Lottabody foam mousse
And some more Mizani 25 moisture milk leave-in spray?

So I have enough balancing products for the moment and I have my collection of it’s a 10 products and other stuff for straight moisture.

I have Aphogee, but I just needed products with more balance. I’m trying to build my hair back up as much as I can.

Evolving78

Christmas has come early @shortdub78 please let us know what you think of your goodies when you get the chance to assess. I wouldn't mind trying DE's foam wrap, I bet it's good,
I will! The honey Creme shampoo was a repurchase. Really good moisturizing sulfate shampoo! The Almond Butter is a really nice and moisturizing. It has slip, but I sprayed Aphogee Green Tea Spray on top of it.
I’m excited to try the reconstructors! I’m going to use the DE products again for my next wash with the reconstructor.

MzSwift

I think I left too much texture in my hair. I was perfectly fine to roll with it and then I flat ironed Friday night. By Saturday afternoon, my newly relaxed roots were so poofy!! It's like I'm back to natural again!

I don't believe in correctives because of the damage I did to my hair in the past but I'm so tempted to do something. My Vitale IDEAL arrived and I'm thinking of using it in about 6-8 weeks.

Until then, I plan to stay up on weekly deep conditioning.