Relaxed Hair Thread

Evolving78

@LushLox
Hey I have been waiting on a review from you for almost two months?!?! Lol
I might do the flexi rods when my new growth starts kicking my butt.
With the flexi rods, I won’t have to do all of that parting and sectioning the hair. I can just part and roll.

LushLox

@LushLox
Hey I have been waiting on a review from you for almost two months?!?! Lol
I might do the flexi rods when my new growth starts kicking my butt.
With the flexi rods, I won’t have to do all of that parting and sectioning the hair. I can just part and roll.

My bad, I thought I did give some feedback on my recent products, unless you're talking relaxer feedback. Umm yeah you're going to get that soon! :lol:

I love flexi rods! :drunk:

MzSwift

I realized that I have no idea how to live like a relaxed lady or maybe just a lady with some hair. Whenever I was relaxed, my hair was 3" or shorter. And the only time in my life I've had long hair is when I went natural. So then I relaxed that long hair and suffered setbacks. I keep my hair in braids so much like I did when I was natural. So today as I was braiding I was thinking, dang I'm treating my hair like it's still natural! The reason I relaxed was to enjoy my hair and length more. Yet I keep it braided up.

I think I need to get advice from ladies who have had long relaxed hair. Is it really just wrap, comb out and go? Wash, DC and flat iron weekly or biweekly? What's a good way to M&S at night and still be able to wear it out the next day.

I understand that after a certain point the new growth creates problems so low manipulation styles are needed. But I've been thinking maybe I should just relax at that point instead of stretching so long. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of being relaxed? I'm still learning how to live this chemical life y'all. SMH.

Evolving78

I realized that I have no idea how to live like a relaxed lady or maybe just a lady with some hair. Whenever I was relaxed, my hair was 3" or shorter. And the only time in my life I've had long hair is when I went natural. So then I relaxed that long hair and suffered setbacks. I keep my hair in braids so much like I did when I was natural. So today as I was braiding I was thinking, dang I'm treating my hair like it's still natural! The reason I relaxed was to enjoy my hair and length more. Yet I keep it braided up.

I think I need to get advice from ladies who have had long relaxed hair. Is it really just wrap, comb out and go? Wash, DC and flat iron weekly or biweekly? What's a good way to M&S at night and still be able to wear it out the next day.

I understand that after a certain point the new growth creates problems so low manipulation styles are needed. But I've been thinking maybe I should just relax at that point instead of stretching so long. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of being relaxed? I'm still learning how to live this chemical life y'all. SMH.
I know I wanna get back to that. But all of what you said is it. It’s just that simple. You wash, deep condition, set and go. I know I’m just doing too much. Trying to get back to how my hair was cared for when I went to the salon. I never got a protein treatment... didn’t need one..

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.

Me too, somewhat lol. I only blow-dry my hair, so I wear two braids, a ponytail or a wig. I just got a sew in a couple days ago.

Attachments

• IMG_7632.JPG
    IMG_7632.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 35

MzSwift

Looks lovely @ItsMeLilLucky

I'm about that minimalist life now, just wash, DC/Treatment, moisturise and seal. That's it I don't do anymore. I'll rollerset now and again but even that I'm reducing, I want to minimise manipulation as much as possible.

ITA, KISS. I just bought some more satin rollers. I think I'm gonna sleep in those when I want to spice things up.

LushLox

How are you drying your hair?

I'm still air drying but I tell you that got difficult during these latter stretch stages as the hair takes forever to dry. On the weekend I can wash my hair early and let it dry for the day but during the weekend I'll sit under the dryer for about 20 minutes because if I go to sleep with even a bit of wet hair it's tangle city in the morning!

ITA, KISS. I just bought some more satin rollers. I think I'm gonna sleep in those when I want to spice things up.

I love satin rollers, especially when I've just relaxed my hair. They are so gentle to use and I never get any breakage with them.

They are so poorly made though so I have to buy new packs now and again.

TLC1020

I'm 13 weeks post relaxer and I'll probably do my relaxer in a couple of weeks when spring semester begin depending on the weather.. If it's snowing and cold I'll stretch my relaxer out further and keep wearing a bun..

MzSwift

I can't remember what I put into my cowash condish mix but the minute it hit my hair, my hair felt buttery soft! So I left it in, no rinsing it out this time. I know there's henna and hibiscus in it but I can't remember what else. SMH.

Evolving78

Hi @shortdub78

I just relaxed yesterday and used heat to style. I flat ironed, trimmed my ends and styled my hair. I am not sure if this what you were asking or not.
Do you use it often? My hair accepts moisture and product better straightened. I use more product when I just let it dry on cool under the dryer. The cuticle isn’t smooth enough.
I have actually been able to maintain my wrapped hair this week.

Rozlewis

Do you use it often? My hair accepts moisture and product better straightened. I use more product when I just let it dry on cool under the dryer. The cuticle isn’t smooth enough.
I have actually been able to maintain my wrapped hair this week.

I don't use direct heat often. I only use it prior to a relaxer so that I can get through my new growth. I prob use heat 3 times a year. I will usually air dry. I use an air dry cream by Pureology or the one by Redken that really help my hair to get smooth when air drying. If I am up to it I will sit under my dryer and do a curlformer set or roller set.

sunnieb

I don't use direct heat often. I only use it prior to a relaxer so that I can get through my new growth. I prob use heat 3 times a year. I will usually air dry. I use an air dry cream by Pureology or the one by Redken that really help my hair to get smooth when air drying. If I am up to it I will sit under my dryer and do a curlformer set or roller set.

Air dry cream you say????

How do you like it? Do you have to be heavy handed or does a little go a long way?

MzSwift

Any Relaxed Head in here that uses heat to style?
I get less breakage when my hair is straight. I can control the line of demarcation throughout the hair.

This is exactly what I've been thinking. I have less strands in the comb when my hair is straight. I also feel like I manipulate my hair less when it's straight because I'm not detangling.

I'm going to try a weekly or biweekly wash, DC, and straighten routine. I'm going to alternate wrapping and sitting under the dryer with air drying and flat ironing. I'm just trying to work out how to keep my ends moisturized with straight hair. I'm thinking about doing what YTer Sistawithrealhair does. When she wears her hair straight, she oils the ends only. That makes a lot of sense to me and she's got good length.

MzSwift

So ladies, I was finally able to upload some pictures from this last relaxer. I think I didn't use enough relaxer per section so it turned out not as straight as I wanted. I'm going to be doing a corrective at 6-8 weeks. Probably 6 because we have a trip to an indoor water park the following weekend. Until then, I'm making sure I DC weekly.

Here's my before (33 weeks):
View media item 129633View media item 129631
During:
View media item 129641View media item 129639
And after:
View media item 129645View media item 129647View media item 129649