Self relaxers - Important info

preciousjewel76

Great thread! I've been used to relaxing bone straight - which left my hair limp and overprocessed. I think I'm going to try this method next time around. I also plan to try a mild relaxer to avoid getting my NG too straight....I hope this method works!

nycutiepie

This information is excellent. When you find out if it's okay to post his info, please let us know. Inquiring minds would love to know..........

jrae

femalegold said:
How do you texlax (sp)? Is there a directional thread about it. Interesting thread.
Yes, that's my question, too. I've been using a mild relaxer to save the back and nape, so I think I have been doing this inadvertently, but is texlaxing the same as underprocessing?

Wow, this was very interesting and helpful! I need a stylist like him so badly. Can you ask him his opinion on growth aids such as hair vitamins, sulphur or mtg, etc? I would love to know what his opinion is on the best products/methods to accelerate hair growth.

Precious_1

This is some amazing information. He sounds wonderful.
Please talk to him and tell us more. Also ask him what he thinks about Phyto Relaxer.

Last edited:

Lady Esquire

this puts it all in perspective for me.
after being natural for a year, i relaxed in:

• feb 2006, = underprocessed my hair ... no breakage
  • may 2006 = processed .... no breakage
  • july = underprocessed ... no breakage

• october = processed (went to a stylist) .... claimed i needed "trim" and gave me a cut
  • january 2007 = overprocessed (went a stylist) ...another cut
  • april 2007 = over over processed (went to a stylist)...another cut
i need to go back to self-relaxing. every stylist says my hair is damaged when they see the underprocessed portions of my hair. and they all seem to go to town on the ends i worked so hard to keep. this last lady was dead set on travelling further down the hair shaft with the relaxer creme. my hair feels much thinner than usual, and a lot less dense after she did my hair.

thank you for this info. :)

Last edited:

SvelteVelvet

Precious_1 said:
This is some amazing information. He sounds wonderful. I would be reading and listening to this man as if he was preaching some kind of hair gospel :)
Please talk to him and tell us more. Also ask him what he thinks about Phyto Relaxer.

Girl, how did you read my mind 5 months into the future?:p Yes, I would love to hear what he thinks about Feetoe.

Softresses

I agree that this is an excellent post. I wish most salons had people like him. His reasoning is the exact reason why I stretch my relaxers out to 4 months or more, and it is the reason why I texurize and put neutralizer on all that I am not wanting to get processed anymore while I am texturizng.

Softresses

Tashique

Hey all

Well, I havent been to see him in ages, his location is very far from where I live, But I tend to use his tips when I get my mum to relax my hair.

Trying to get hold of him is so hard, the last time I tried to speak to him he was in Russia :perplexed

Now I will try again soon, see if he has any more tips.

If anyone wants his salon number pm me, and you can try and get him that way.

jade998

Softresses said:
I agree that this is an excellent post. I wish most salons had people like him. His reasoning is the exact reason why I stretch my relaxers out to 4 months or more, and it is the reason why I texurize and put neutralizer on all that I am not wanting to get processed anymore while I am texturizng.

Softresses

I like that tip... wow I am learning so much.

I will be putting neutralizer on my hair before relaxing. THANKS:)

CAPlush

This makes perfect sense. You can build in overlapping into your relaxer process without overprocessing your hair. I think this is almost certainly how I am going to relax next time because I have sections of texlaxed hair but I do not want to begin overprocessing to get my hair bone straight.

Sha76

Wow this info is great. Now I don't feel so bad about underprocessing my hair today( my first self relax)

vestaluv1

Thanx alot for the info... I've always thought it was nonsense to think you could ONLY relax the new growth (especially when I look at some hairdressers applying relaxer to 'new growth' and then some :nono:) and stop over processing previously relaxed hair.
But think this technique + stretching relaxers is a great idea!

butterfly_wings

Also here are a few of the things we discussed that I remember and shared with another member on the board and thought I share with you

He mentioned that the top 3 hair manufacturers for black Hair are;

Nexxus 1
Joico 2
Aveda 3

He called Keracare - Keradamage but i told him I love it, he said they put in unexceptable ingredients in alot of there products.

He actually helps manufacturers make products as well as testing for FDA. So he knows alot about products and there ingredients.

He said he loves going to hair shows as most manufacturers run when they see him as they know he has a lab etc

He said Doogro grease and some others that I cant remember :mad: has an ingredients that is used for cleaning tyres and the street but as they have things like Vitamin E and Sulphur by law they are allowed to say the grease has properties that grow your hair. But the damage your doing to it as it grows makes it unworthy while in the long run.

He didnt even start with my hair first, he started looking at my nails, skin and eyes. He said this is how he can identify different problems that I have on the inside which will affect my hair.

He also went on about the hair myths that are in the black community for years such as greasing your scalp. He said the scalp is just as tender and delicate as your face and you wouldnt say put Vaseline on your face evryday. So why would you put grease on your scalp and think it could breath.

He said if anyone tries to use those tongs in the hairdressers, I think you call them Marcel Irons that I must ask them to put it on there arm first and when their skins gone and it looks shiney :grin: that is exactly what there doing to my hair , so no thanks I wont have a tong.

The shine yu get when you leave the salon is a superfical shine that is the same as the shiney missing skin one would get when you burn yourself.

He gave me a dusting and went on about the fact that most hairdressers will cut your hair so beware, a dusting is good enough unless you have alot of splits travelling up the hair shaft. he said you should be able to see that for yourself without the hairdresser telling you.

Do you think you can put him in a box and send him to me!! he sounds fantastic!!! :grin:

I like the idea of texlating now, I think the past 3-4 inches of my hair is under proccessed my accident so I will aim for this 10 and 5 minutes from how on, thanks

sareca

I'm texlaxed so I always underprocessed, then underprocessed, then underprocessed. There's never any point when my hair is fully processed unless I did it by accident. His method makes sense but wouldn't you end up with a little afro at the roots all the time. I texlax primarily to get the roots to lay flat. :confused:

Softresses

I agree. I coat ALL previously relaxed hair in grease then put neutralizer on it before I begin rinsing the relaxer out.

Last edited:

Bublin

Great post....and i can't believe this man is in the UK.

OP, i have PM'd you.

Last edited:

DivaD04

Bumping for user that was asking

hey there when you said he'd combed thru did you mean smoothed w/ the back of the comb? i have relaxed heads w/o a use of a comb but i remember anytime if i did pick up a rat tail, to use the back of the comb as if i was w/ my fingers....b/c the cream itself smoothes...no disputes here, i'm just asking a ? that's all.

ETA: did you ever ask to post his name and his salon?

Last edited:

Bublin

I have a question...........

If i stretch longer than 9 weeks by hair starts to break at the demarcation line. Thats why i had to BC. Transitioning was a no-no for me.

So how do i make sure i have 2 inches of NG when i can't stretch?