September 2009~Hits & Misses~

Mattie26

Miss: Cantu shea butter leave in

Hit: Eco Styler
Hawiian Silky 14 n 1
Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor
at least for now these are hits my hair is so picky.:ohwell:

Tafa01

I am discovering that my hair is picky!!!
hits:
Rusk Pro Elements Keratin Smoothing Treatment
Baba de Caracol dominican treatment
Alterna caviar moisture shampoo

Miss:
Whale Sperm dominican treatment
Alterna caviar moisture condish

MizzBrown

HIT:
-Coconut Oil mixed w/ Black Castor Oil!...Castor oil is WAY to heavy to apply to my scalp alone so I dabbed it with some coconut oil to thin it out and it is NICE when greasing my scalp.

8 weeks post and I can wear my hair down b/c of this. Softens my NG tremendously.

-Homemade Rollersetting Spray...While setting my hair, i mixed tap water with some Rosewater and poured in some Keracare Essential Oil in my spray bottle and sprayed over hair while rollersetting.

Sets come out more moisturized and shinier.

-Leave-in on Soaking Wet Hair...I used to wash my hair, detangle, THEN put in my leave-ins and rollerset. Had some issues with dry hair and couldnt figure out why.

Decided to wash my hair and while my hair is SOPPING wet over the sink, apply leave-ins on the hair, THEN detangle with it in and rollerset. Water mixed with leave-in is the BEST moisturizer.

And i do NOT pat my hair dry or wring my hair out that much either. SOPPING wet from the sink to the mirror to rollerset.

MISS:

-Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Threat Shampoo..Hair felt so stripped. I liked that it had natural ingredients and the tea tree did tingle but it cleaned TOO well and hair felt like straw til I put conditioner on it.

-Organix Conditioner..Tried the Vanilla Silk and the Shea butter version and it worked well when I'm 1-4 weeks post..After that, it can't detangle NADA.

MizzBrown

Another MISS:

-Chagrin Valley Shampoo Bars...Glad I didnt buy too many of these. Tried to use up my stash and used these bars and it does NOT clean well. Hair feels greasier and had a film over it and build up.

I shouldnt have to use an apple cider vinegar rinse on every wash to use these bars properly. Waste of money.

sqzbly1908

HIT:
-Coconut Oil mixed w/ Black Castor Oil!...Castor oil is WAY to heavy to apply to my scalp alone so I dabbed it with some coconut oil to thin it out and it is NICE when greasing my scalp.

8 weeks post and I can wear my hair down b/c of this. Softens my NG tremendously.

-Homemade Rollersetting Spray...While setting my hair, i mixed tap water with some Rosewater and poured in some Keracare Essential Oil in my spray bottle and sprayed over hair while rollersetting.

-Leave-in on Soaking Wet Hair...I used to wash my hair, detangle, THEN put in my leave-ins and rollerset. Had some issues with dry hair and couldnt figure out why.

Decided to wash my hair and while my hair is SOPPING wet over the sink, apply leave-ins on the hair, THEN detangle with it in and rollerset. Water mixed with leave-in is the BEST moisturizer.

And i do NOT pat my hair dry or wring my hair out that much either. SOPPING wet from the sink to the mirror to rollerset.

MISS:

-Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Threat Shampoo..Hair felt so stripped. I liked that it had natural ingredients and the tea tree did tingle but it cleaned TOO well and hair felt like straw til I put conditioner on it.

-Organix Conditioner..Tried the Vanilla Silk and the Shea butter version and it worked well when I'm 1-4 weeks post..After that, it can't detangle NADA.

@bolded...this is what I do as well...I find that I only lose a few strands and my hair stays moist enough where I don't have to "re-spray" while setting...

sqzbly1908

Hit:

Sexy Hair Tri-Soy Leave In - This is pretty good. I got it free at Beauty Brands otherwise I would not have tried it. I will put this in rotation with the Paul Mitchell Super Strong Leave In

MonaLisa

Continued Hits:
WEN Fig Cleansing Conditioner
Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Milk and Hair Mask
Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Cream, Cocoa Detangling Ghee, Alma Nourishing Pomade
Leaving Hair Alone

MonaLisa

Working on implementing this right now.

Very good.

I know you're thick haired...

As a fine, fragile haired chick...my hair has thanked me.

For the most part, it's been unintentional...I've just either been too sick, tired or busy to deal. Now, it's just wash, condition, moisturize, leave alone. *repeat* It's been working. Sticking with it.

You can do it! :yep:

quasimodi

HIT:
  • aphogee 2 minute and aloe vera gel conditioning treatment = soft, strong hair and very little breakage (thanks aggie!)
  • leave in, moisturizer, and castor oil on soaking wet hair (make the softest yet firmest, shinest twist out ever!) --will try to get 3rd and 4th day hair using this method; I'm trying to leave my hair alone more
    Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Milk (ohhhhh, so lovely smelling, soft hair)
NO misses so far. :grin:

Last edited:

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
hit: silk elements heat protection spray
hit: silk elements glossing polish

BIG FAT MISS: silk elements luxury moisturizing conditioner- this stuff sucks! it felt like it stripped my hair, was way too thick for all of my new growth, and on top of that, it smells like cheap knock-off cologne. i was trying to give this another change so i could use it up, but i'm throwing this mess in the trass.

chebaby

Hit: my homemade avocado coconut milk and honey deep conditioner. Gave me soft strong hair
Giovanni direct leave in. Amazing. and it makes my hair seem thicker

isabella09

Hit; ACV rinse after a steam DC; my hair was soo soft afterwards :cloud9:

Miss; Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo (clarfiying shampoo); Cleaned my scalp extremely well and loved the tingling feeling on the scalp but my hair felt too stripped and dry. I shall be trying Avalon Organics Lemon Clarifying Shampoo for my next clarifying session.

isabella09

HIT:

MISS:

:yep: Wish I’d seen this before I purchased Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo, I had exactly the same experience with it. I'm going to try Avalon Organics Lemon Clarifying Shampoo for my next clarifying session hopefully i'll have better success with this.

Bunmi

Hit:
  1. DC using a mixture of Aloe Vera Gel, Flaxseed Oil, and Hydratherma Naturals Moisture Boosting Conditioning Treatment. Results...ooh...sooo soft! :spinning:
  2. Bentonite Clay Mask. Loved the results; my hair and scalp felt healthy, clean and clear.

outspokenwallflower

Hits: Mizani Thermasmooth System-- the shampoo cleaned my hair really well without drying it out; the conditioner was moisturizing and smoothing; the serum wasn't heavy, and I started noticing the biggest difference when I was done blowdrying. I used the same technique I always do and my hair was smoother, easier to comb through and laid down really well WITH movement. The Shine Extend spray was good as well-- Made my hair shiny and didn't create any of that smoke or sizzle with the flat iron.

Silk Elements Olive Heat Protectant Spray-- very light, made my hair softer AND smelled good. =]

MEGA MEGA HIT: J&D TS Titan Miniature Flat Iron

WOW. I bought a pressing comb because I'm about 10 or so weeks post and wanted to stretch even longer, and my new growth was getting out of control. But I wanted a mini flat iron that could really get close to my roots as well, in case I wasn't skilled enough to manage the pressing comb. THIS FLAT IRON IS FABULOUS. It got close without burning my scalp, and I feel like I have a fresh relaxer! It already had a few positive reviews on sally's online website, and I can definitely see why! It may be really small but it is a HUGE hit!

morehairplease

Hits: Mizani Thermasmooth System-- the shampoo cleaned my hair really well without drying it out; the conditioner was moisturizing and smoothing; the serum wasn't heavy, and I started noticing the biggest difference when I was done blowdrying. I used the same technique I always do and my hair was smoother, easier to comb through and laid down really well WITH movement. The Shine Extend spray was good as well-- Made my hair shiny and didn't create any of that smoke or sizzle with the flat iron.

Silk Elements Olive Heat Protectant Spray-- very light, made my hair softer AND smelled good. =]

MEGA MEGA HIT: J&D TS Titan Miniature Flat Iron

WOW. I bought a pressing comb because I'm about 10 or so weeks post and wanted to stretch even longer, and my new growth was getting out of control. But I wanted a mini flat iron that could really get close to my roots as well, in case I wasn't skilled enough to manage the pressing comb. THIS FLAT IRON IS FABULOUS. It got close without burning my scalp, and I feel like I have a fresh relaxer! It already had a few positive reviews on sally's online website, and I can definitely see why! It may be really small but it is a HUGE hit!

thanks so, so much for sharing this. I am in the market for a new flat iron and will purchase this one next month.