“setting To Success” 2016

L.Brown1114

So my hair came out a frizzy hot mess. It was gorgeous curls in the beginning, but quickly fell and got frizzy which means my hair is begging for moisture. So I'm going to oloplex and wash tomorrow night. I also want to do a prepoo with just EVOO but no idea if I do it after or before the oloplex.

toaster

So my hair came out a frizzy hot mess. It was gorgeous curls in the beginning, but quickly fell and got frizzy which means my hair is begging for moisture. So I'm going to oloplex and wash tomorrow night. I also want to do a prepoo with just EVOO but no idea if I do it after or before the oloplex.
If you think the olive oil is going to interfere with your olaplex treatment I would just add some during your deep condition treatment.

ajargon02

So I love the look of rollersets on others, but on me they come out terrible! I used curlformers yesterday. It started off looking nice, but once they were all out I looked like a poodle! Plus I can't get my sets to last longer than 1 day. I used the twist gel by keracare. What am I doing wrong? I have read and re-read this thread and I am still not getting it. Any suggestions?

toaster

So I love the look of rollersets on others, but on me they come out terrible! I used curlformers yesterday. It started off looking nice, but once they were all out I looked like a poodle! Plus I can't get my sets to last longer than 1 day. I used the twist gel by keracare. What am I doing wrong? I have read and re-read this thread and I am still not getting it. Any suggestions?

Hmm. Have you tried using a leave in instead of trying to set with a gel? I find setting on wet hair with a light leave in gives me light hold.

What's your setting routine?

Daina

Hi Setting Guru's, I've been lurking this thread and watching YouTube to learn to rollerset. Thinking of dipping my toe in and doing a ponytail rollerset. Have any of you done one successfully? Are you able to fluff the curls and wear it out? This will be my first rollerset of any kind. I will be using Jane Carter Solutions wrap and roll foam and argan oil to set. Thanks for any tips!

toaster

Hi Setting Guru's, I've been lurking this thread and watching YouTube to learn to rollerset. Thinking of dipping my toe in and doing a ponytail rollerset. Have any of you done one successfully? Are you able to fluff the curls and wear it out? This will be my first rollerset of any kind. I will be using Jane Carter Solutions wrap and roll foam and argan oil to set. Thanks for any tips!
Hey there! I've never done a ponytail set but I'm sure someone in this thread has, and will respond.

My suggestion would be to set with the foam only, and add oil once your hair is dry. I don't want you to be under the dryer forever waiting for your set to be finished!

L.Brown1114

No problem! I know you're trying to keep that beautiful color strong and moisturized. Are you using special products to keep the color vibrant?

Yes ma'am I do! I'm not using any special products. I am washing my hair in cool water though and using the regimen I stated previously. Nothing special. I may try a clear glaze to protect the color but idk about all that lol

L.Brown1114

View attachment 360101

Wash day tomorrow. Took my hair out of the bun and this is how it fell. Using the Entwine butter cream hydrator at night leaves my hair soft and moisturized but heavy. When I used the Mizani oil every night my hair held the waves better, but wasn't as soft. Hmm.

Goooorrrrgggggeeeeeooooouuuusssss darlin gggggoooooorrrrrgggggeeeeeooooouuuuuusssss :woot:

AgeinATL

I prefer regular roller sets to ponytail ones.
1. While ponytail roller sets are quicker and easier to install, I found that they take longer to dry. It's hard for air to get to the hair underneath the band.
2. They don't stretch the roots as well as regular roller sets.
3. They leave dents at the roots (from the bands) so it isn't as easy to fluff and go. You may have to flat iron them out or work with the dents.

Those are my thoughts BUT I do encourage you to try it. It may give you the results that you are looking for it just didn't quite work out for me!

Good luck!

AgeinATL

View attachment 360101

Wash day tomorrow. Took my hair out of the bun and this is how it fell. Using the Entwine butter cream hydrator at night leaves my hair soft and moisturized but heavy. When I used the Mizani oil every night my hair held the waves better, but wasn't as soft. Hmm.

Good googlie mooglie! :drool:

Let my hair grow up to be like Toaster's. Just lovely from root to tip. #hairgoals

Daina

Hey there! I've never done a ponytail set but I'm sure someone in this thread has, and will respond.

My suggestion would be to set with the foam only, and add oil once your hair is dry. I don't want you to be under the dryer forever waiting for your set to be finished!

@toaster, thank you! I will save the oil till after take down because my hair already takes FOREVER to dry regularly.

Daina

I prefer regular roller sets to ponytail ones.
1. While ponytail roller sets are quicker and easier to install, I found that they take longer to dry. It's hard for air to get to the hair underneath the band.
2. They don't stretch the roots as well as regular roller sets.
3. They leave dents at the roots (from the bands) so it isn't as easy to fluff and go. You may have to flat iron them out or work with the dents.

Those are my thoughts BUT I do encourage you to try it. It may give you the results that you are looking for it just didn't quite work out for me!

Good luck!

Thank you @AgeinATL, yeah I am worried about the dents but taking this baby step is what will hopefully get me going. I don't think I could achieve a good regular set. Plus I need more rollers for a regular set, I don't have nearly enough. I will attempt and report back to you ladies. If it fails I can always do a French braid.

toaster

I'm under the dryer now. Will spend this time researching flat iron techniques/tips/tricks. My theorie iron should be arriving today! I'm so excited to see it!

New products/tools update:

Barring exceptional results, the Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion and Curls in a Bottle is a no go. They were... fine. But my It's a 10 is superb every time, so why settle for fine? I also didn't think the CJ products gave me as much slip as the It's a 10.

The bonnet cool cap thingy: I turned my Pibbs up to 60 (is that degrees Celsius? Does anyone know? I know it's an Italian machine so that makes the most sense). It was a little tricky to finagle since the Pibbs has that flip top covering and it's not something you can just slip under with a full head of rollers. I slipped the cap over my neck after I rolled, turned the Pibbs on, sat down under it, and slipped the top part of the cool cap over the dryer. It has a little elastic rope to "secure" it, but it feels like it's not going anywhere.

I can feel the heat on my head, but so far it's not escaping down my neck. I have my towel ready just in case.

toaster

That bun drop pic = :drool:

You saved 25 mins. Did the cool cap keep you comfortable re: ears, neck etc.? Do you think the cool cap will allow you to set in the hot summer months?
I was surprisingly comfortable with the cap. I didn't need a towel around my neck or my ears. I was still warm because I was sitting under the dryer, but I was able to use a higher temperature and I was more comfortable than I was at the lower temperature.

Next week I'll see if I can go up to level 65. I do think this will help in the summer months!

toaster

My flat iron came! I just unpacked it and then put it back in the box. It's pretty lightweight and I can tell I'll have to put some pressure on it to get the plates flat. The plates feel very smooth. They are titanium with ceramic infused. Who knows what that means.

Also pretty impressed with the cricket carbon straightening comb. It feels very solid.